FILM STARS DON'T DIE IN LIVERPOOL - EON Productions unveils its new film

CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
edited September 2017 in News Posts: 292
EON Productions and Barbara Broccoli's new movie FILM STARS DON'T DIE IN LIVERPOOL gets its first trailer and totally points to the Oscar buzz possibly coming Annette Bening's way ...

"An absolute masterpiece in film-making" - Hollywood News

"Bening is excellent as Grahame: imperious, vulnerable, romantic, sexually excited about her younger man, wanly aware of secrets she cannot share with him." - The Guardian

Produced by Barbara Broccoli and Colin Vaines, directed by Paul McGuigan, reuniting Jamie Bell and Julie Walters, featuring new music by Elvis Costello and shot both in Liverpool and at Pinewood Studios, FILM STARS DON'T DIE IN LIVERPOOL is based on writer Peter Turner's true and personal story of what happened when Hollywood came to Liverpool in the late Seventies. The early word is good and this trailer proves why...

The film opens in the UK on November 17th and December in the US.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'm sure it's very good and all but I'd still rather have a new Bond film.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Is anyone else getting 'This video is not available'?
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I'm sure it's very good and all but I'd still rather have a new Bond film.

Patience my friend.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Red_Snow wrote: »

No, it works for me. It may be the case that it's not available in your country under copyright laws or some such?
    Trailer worked for me too. Looks pretty funny to me, and also a bonus being a true story. Doubt it very much that it will be a cinema visit though.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    For my taste it looked ok but nothing special.
  • leas_moleleas_mole love is the promise of suffering
    I liked the trailer. The Scouse (Liverpool) accent is not really convincing but then again if it was really strong you would need subtitles (I say that as a Scouser).

Also, I did not realise that Jamie Bell was married to Kate Mara (Rooney's sister).
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »

No, it works for me. It may be the case that it's not available in your country under copyright laws or some such?

You're right, it's geo-blocked. Normally it says 'unavailable in your country/region' and 'video is not available' when it's been set to private.

Anyway, I managed to watch it. I wish it well, but I don't think it's something I will be seeing in the cinema. Will be interesting to see if Bening gets an noms this awards season.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    For you Americans:

@BondJasonBond006 PAY EXTRA CLOSE ATTENTION TO JAMIE BELL! :P.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Trailer is looking quite good actually
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Not usually the type of movie I watch but I am rather interested in seeing it.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    leas_mole wrote: »
    I liked the trailer. The Scouse (Liverpool) accent is not really convincing but then again if it was really strong you would need subtitles (I say that as a Scouser).

Also, I did not realise that Jamie Bell was married to Kate Mara (Rooney's sister).

Yea Julie Walters accent is terrible! Don't know why filmmakers keep insisting on casting her for scouse parts.
    Can't say I'd ever heard of Hollywood actress Gloria Grahame, or even taken any notice of her career, which spanned films such as The Big Heat, Oklahoma and The Bad and the Beautiful, for which she won an Oscar. The story sounds quite a depressing one involving a C-list young actor whose most notable film role was in Pete Walker's The Comeback, who meets the washed-up Hollywood actress whilst living in the same north London boarding house, and embarks on a romance with the much-older lady. Reads like the synopsis for a Joe Orton play. I can't say I've read the book by Peter Turner, either. Not my cup of tea at all. It all sounds like a throwback to the type of movies that were inspired by the mid-80's success of Shirley Valentine: eccentric, bittersweet life lessons for women of a menopausal age. I'm sure it'll have a very similar type of female audience. Not quite sure who this is meant to appeal to, aside from Eon hoping it garners a few awards and brings in the curious?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The story seems rather depressing, but I'm sure there's a market for this sort of thing. Not my cup of tea at all either @bondsum, and yes I'm sure it could garner some attention at the awards, but really who cares.
    ‘Film Stars Don’t Die In Liverpool’s Annette Bening On Falling In Love With Gloria Grahame
    https://deadline.com/2017/09/film-stars-dont-die-in-liverpool-annette-bening-toronto-video-1202171280/

The sure-to-be-Oscar-nominated Bening seems born to play the role, and when she visited the Deadline studio with McGuigan and co-star Jamie Bell, who plays her much younger British lover Peter Turner, she said that it was a project many years in the making, developed many years ago as a passion project by James Bond producer Barbara Broccoli, who knew the real Grahame. “I don’t really remember when it [began],” she said, “but it was a long time ago, and when we talked about it, it was in a different iteration. But we had spoken about it many years ago, and that’s when I had initially read the book which Peter Turner wrote – this gorgeous, beautiful, tasteful book about his relationship with Gloria Grahame.”
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    California Dreaming - Reviewing EON Productions' sterling FILM STARS DON'T DIE IN LIVERPOOL...

http://markoconnell.co.uk/california-dreaming-catching-eon-productions-sterling-film-stars-dont-die-in-liverpool/
    Is this an EON Production release? My understanding is that Broccoli did this with Colin Vaines outside of EON.
  • Not a cinema trip for me but might end up giving it a watch when it's on Sky or Netflix or something. Seems like the sort of film my wife would like and I'm interested to see how it is because of BB's involvement (has she done anything outside of Bond before?).
    Yes. She has many a non-Bond feather in her cap.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Is this an EON Production release? My understanding is that Broccoli did this with Colin Vaines outside of EON.
    It is very much an EON Production...as the opening credits and key personnel testify.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,165
    I patronize the website Letterboxd (like an IMDB purely for user reviews/film diaries), and it's been getting fairly middling scores so far.
    For you Americans:

@BondJasonBond006 PAY EXTRA CLOSE ATTENTION TO JAMIE BELL! :P.

Glad to finally see the trailer. Being a pretty big fan of Grahame from In a Lonely Place, Wonderful Life, The Big Heat, Macao, etc looking forward to this. As for as Jamie Bell for a potential Craig replacement? I'd rather see Rory Kinnear promoted from Tanner to Bond over Bell.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    EON Productions and Barbara Broccoli's new movie FILM STARS DON'T DIE IN LIVERPOOL gets its first trailer and totally points to the Oscar buzz possibly coming Annette Bening's way ...

"Bening is excellent as Grahame: imperious, vulnerable, romantic, sexually excited about her younger man, wanly aware of secrets she cannot share with him." - The Guardian

Produced by Barbara Broccoli and Colin Vaines, directed by Paul McGuigan, reuniting Jamie Bell and Julie Walters, featuring new music by Elvis Costello and shot both in Liverpool and at Pinewood Studios, FILM STARS DON'T DIE IN LIVERPOOL is based on writer Peter Turner's true and personal story of what happened when Hollywood came to Liverpool in the late Seventies. The early word is good and this trailer proves why...

Bell will replace Dan after he's done. Called it years ago. Craig championed him after working with him on Tin Tin and Defiance.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    As for as Jamie Bell for a potential Craig replacement? I'd rather see Rory Kinnear promoted from Tanner to Bond over Bell.
    He really doesn't do anything for me either, in anything I've seen him in. I'm sure he's a decent enough actor but for some reason he doesn't have any star quality whatsoever for me. Giancarlo Giannini for example can really light up a scene even as a support, but I don't see that with Bell. He's wallpaper.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    As for as Jamie Bell for a potential Craig replacement? I'd rather see Rory Kinnear promoted from Tanner to Bond over Bell.

God knows Bell is underwhelming but let's not go mad.

Bell will replace Dan after he's done. Called it years ago. Craig championed him after working with him on Tin Tin and Defiance.

Nonsense.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Cover of the Dutch dvd release (26 July 2018)

9200000093554863.jpg

Released by Splendid Film (German Company). No Bluray.
    The movie whas only three weaks in the cinema and deliever around $ 146.000.
  • It did a little over $1 million box office in the U.S. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=filmstarsdontdieinliverpool.htm
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    Can't help but think a better title would have helped. Who is going to want to see something with that title?
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Finally got around to watching this on the plane the other day and have to say it's excellent. A shame Babs doesn't consistently make Bond films of this quality.

Bening and Bell are absolutely first class here. I suggest anyone who hasn't seen it watch it soon. Astonishing that Bening in particular didn't garner more awards recognition.

Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    Can't help but think a better title would have helped. Who is going to want to see something with that title?

Fair point, and you're probably correct that another title would have been more commercially successful. But the title does fit the narrative perfectly.