THE 2012 OSCARS! Winners Posted:

1235»

Comments

BAIN123 wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    The Artist is grossly overrated.

Is it? I loved it. I suppose that's what a lot of people say about a film that's popular.

For me, its the fact that its based in films past. I kind of feel like Best Picture should reflect a piece of modern film making. I understand nostalgia, and I'm not saying war movies shouldn't win because they're history, I'm just saying using tactics tried and tested to be award winning shouldn't win awards anymore.

Midnight In Paris is a marvelous work, and a modern movie. It didn't need to put on a classic skin to win anything.

But thats my opinion. I loved Drive, and would have loved to see it win, but it counteracts my argument :P

• LudsLuds MIA
    Shardlake wrote:

Perhaps it is, that statement all by itself doesn't imply that the movie isn't good or even great, but may still be overrated. There certainly wasn't anything brought to Hollywood's attention in the last while which brought the elements that the Artist did.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:

Is it? I loved it. I suppose that's what a lot of people say about a film that's popular.

For me, its the fact that its based in films past. I kind of feel like Best Picture should reflect a piece of modern film making. I understand nostalgia, and I'm not saying war movies shouldn't win because they're history, I'm just saying using tactics tried and tested to be award winning shouldn't win awards anymore.

Midnight In Paris is a marvelous work, and a modern movie. It didn't need to put on a classic skin to win anything.

But thats my opinion. I loved Drive, and would have loved to see it win, but it counteracts my argument :P

There is nostalgia in The Artist and films like it, but it isn't using nostalgic tactics as you imply to garner acclaim and Oscars. It was an experimentation of recreating old Hollywood from a French director's point of view, but it did not use tactics to get ahead of the game on purpose. The film shows you that there doesn't have to action every second to be entertaining, and just because there isn't action doesn't mean the film is boring. That is the general way old films are. Beautiful black and white classics that are entertaining without explosions and fights. True cinematic brilliance. The Artist did a nice throwback to that, and it reminds us of the black and white golden years of film, and does it well from what I've seen. I can't wait to see it.
  • Michel Hazanavicius and his team took a huge risk with The Artist. It was not an easy film to make.

I walked into it, prepared for the nostalgia, and with very high expectations (the film had already won the golden globe). But I was still blown away. And it was not because of the nostalgia, but the story and the way it was told.

Though it may be what attracted many, nostalgia is not the real reason for it's success (though it is sadly the excuse some people use to bash it). It is a very modern story told with "some" ancient techniques (black & white and silent). And these techniques can be more of a handicap when it comes to telling a modern story. How many people will not ever see it because of that? 76 million worldwide at the box office.

The story itself could not have been told by any other means. (Bang! ?)

It is an hommage to silent films but it is not like any of them. And it is also a slap in the face to those who believe that all movies today need to be made in 3D.

Is the Artist overrated? I don't see it but maybe I am just biased; it is my fovourite film of 2011. But among the past 5 Best Picture winners, it is probably the most deserving. And it is one people won't forget so soon.
    Shardlake wrote:

So is Avatar but that is the highest grossing movie of all time!! (Somehow)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 2012 Posts: 5,921
    HASEROT wrote:
    kind of find it a little upsetting, that Steve Jobs and Whitney Houston get honored tonight.... but John Barry, a 5 time Academy Award winning composer doesn't...... seriously - wtf academy??

They honored Barry last year.
    echo wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:
    kind of find it a little upsetting, that Steve Jobs and Whitney Houston get honored tonight.... but John Barry, a 5 time Academy Award winning composer doesn't...... seriously - wtf academy??

They honored Barry last year.

right
    He Died Jan 2011, Oscars took place on 27/2/11.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Drive Angry 3-D wasn't that bad. I mean, i've seen worse, and any film that features a something like this...

... can't be all bad. :D
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 63
    Look at it this way, The Artist is a passionate declaration of love of Hollywood and the universal myths and dreams that industry idolises. And this from a French film, the very people Americans secretly envy for their esprit and joie de vivre and would die to try and imitate - if only their inhibitions would let them (and if they overcome these the result generally ends up as caricature of Germans, so it's probably for the best their Puritan instincts keep them in check). The Academy had no other option than to award this effort the highest praise.

Hugo Cabret in turn is the American declaration of love for cinema's own roots and cultural heritage in Europe; in the truest sense a 'moving picture', made out of fantasy and son et lumiere. A passionate dream and a deep and true love for telling a story with cinema's tools and the heart of a child. Awards inevitable.