Overrated Stars

2»

Comments

The thread for frustrated folks who find that their petpeeves concerning stars can be outed in strict anonimity. Call women ugly ( strictly in the eye of the beholder and most men saying such think mostly don't get to date anyone that goodlooking so lets call them nanes), men bad actors (What is good and what is bad?), a director bad because he has his finger un the pulse, more than anyone in Hollywood apperently, and makes mega-audience pleasing movies.

Most stars have their moments where they absolutely shine and have their complete off-days. In that aspect they are almost just like "normal" People.

Most of them have achieved more than I ever have. What have you done lately or ever to not be considered overrated?
  • Germanlady wrote:
    Sorry, but I LOVED Avatar, if mostly for the incredible look and some of the scenes, like the flying on those "whatever" and the spiritual aspect of it, that was very well done IMO. Itrs an old story - which are not these days - but he made me forget, I have seen the plot hundreds of times. It felt new in the waqy he excesuted it.

Agree on True Lies, Bain - good film. One of the few Arni films, that were decent IMO.

But i was bored out of my mind during TDK. Aside from those Joker scenes, bale and the rest were incredibly dull. And that Maggie Gyllenhal is not even pretty, much less a beautiful heroine. Even as a woman, I like my heroines pretty.
    But just like with Avatar, obviously the rest of the world thought different.

You liked avatar, but you were BORED in TDK. IMO, avatar was one of the most boring films ever. The only reason it was popular was because of the special effects, which were good, but effects don't make a film. The only cameron films I've ever really gotten into are the terminator films. And arnie made a ton of decent films imo, but I'm a big fan of action films.

For the record, camerons ex wife is alot more talented.

Point break>>>>>>>>>>>>everything cameron has ever done.

Hurt locker>>>>>>>>everything cameron has ever done except the terminator films.
  • Germanlady wrote:
    But i was bored out of my mind during TDK. Aside from those Joker scenes, bale and the rest were incredibly dull. And that Maggie Gyllenhal is not even pretty, much less a beautiful heroine. Even as a woman, I like my heroines pretty.
    But just like with Avatar, obviously the rest of the world thought different.

I agree with you that this movie was overrated. I don't know if I'd consider it boring, though. (Although I did get motion sickness halfway through and had to leave the theater for a while)
    Also agree about Maggie Gyllenhaal... she may be a better actress than Katie Holmes but she isn't pretty at ALL....

• Can I include Stallone in this, as some may think he's overrated

The Rocky Series were great, but Mr Stallone never really made it elsewhere, Yes he could be overrated, I've seen plenty of his work from Nighthawks, to Tango and Cash and Cliffhanger to CopLand and beyond, he's a bit one dimensional often enough. The good thing about the Rocky series was that Stallone was playing a character having the crap knocked out of him in Boxing matches so there was no real need for over performances or good acting, it was fairly routine, but if we 'step outside the ring', he just seems to lose it in other acting capacities. I have nothing against him as an individual, but for the purpose of this here thread,is perhaps, overrated, simply put
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I've got Sly's autograph :D Managed to get my Demolition Man DVD signed by him at the Expendables premier (very mediocre movie btw - Expendables that is).
  • I've never seen Demolition Man, is that the one with Wesley Snipes or am I thinking of something else, I've heard some bad reviews about it and all told it could well be one of Stallone's worst efforts. Well done on getting the autograph though, some people would give an arm and a leg to have someone of his stature personally sign their name for you, but the fact remains, poor movies and overrated actor
  • LudsLuds MIA
    DCisared wrote:
    Luds wrote:
    DCisared wrote:
    Actresses - Cameron Diaz, she just isn't as sexy as people make out.
    Not only is she not sexy, she's a dog. Ugly face and looks dumb in real life.

Don't hold back Mate haha

I really am... ;)
  • JAMES CAMERON IS talented period. I'm tired of hearing he is overrated. Compared to who? You can hate him or his films all you want, but don't be jealous of his success, he earned it. I personally enjoy all his films.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 1,856
    Germanlady wrote:
    (Although I did get motion sickness halfway through and had to leave the theater for a while)

at any chance was this During the Semi vs. SWAT truck vs Tumbler scene
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SJK91 wrote:
    echo wrote:
    This thread could begin and end with Tom Cruise. I have never understood his appeal.
    To be honest, I prefer Cruise as an action star to Brosnan, Lazenby and Moore....and maybe Dalton...maybe...

*runs away*

*narrows eyes and chases angrily*

I agree with @SJK91. Tom is a great star, and his movies always entertain me in some fashion. He has done great films in tons of genres, and has become one of the greatest action stars even in his later years. I'd take him over Brosnan for sure, Moore positively, and doubly sure over Lazenby. The man knows how to entertain.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 774
    masterman wrote:
    JAMES CAMERON IS talented period. I'm tired of hearing he is overrated. Compared to who? You can hate him or his films all you want, but don't be jealous of his success, he earned it. I personally enjoy all his films.

Personally, my feelings for Cameron are far from jealous. I respect his earlier work and I dislike Avatar for the same reason I dislike the Transformers movies and the Star Wars prequel trilogy. A bunch of special effects thrown together does not a spectacular movie make. Sure it looks good, but has no emotion. Cold film making, I feel no connection to it.

Compare that to films like LOTR where special effects were used heavily, but incredible effort was put into doing as much as possible live action without a green screen. The sets they constructed were amazing and the actors responded to that. It wasn't like watching a movie, it was like watching something that felt real.

Speaking of Transformers, Shia LeBoeuf (or however you spell it) is a hugely overrated actor.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I've never seen Demolition Man, is that the one with Wesley Snipes or am I thinking of something else, I've heard some bad reviews about it and all told it could well be one of Stallone's worst efforts. Well done on getting the autograph though, some people would give an arm and a leg to have someone of his stature personally sign their name for you, but the fact remains, poor movies and overrated actor

One of his best more like. Demolition Man is the apex of turn your brain off popcorn entertainment. Cracking fun and certainly better than up its own arse stuff like Avatar.
    echo wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    echo wrote:
    This thread could begin and end with Tom Cruise. I have never understood his appeal.

Love him or hate him, this prick has a way of landing roles in great films. Since Top Gun in 1986 he has a monopoly on top films. Rain Man, a Few Good Men, Jerry mcGuire, the Last Samurai, Collateral... just to name a few.

Can you name a bad Tom Cruise film?

Can you name a good Tom Cruise performance?

Last Samurai, Jerry McGuire, Valkyrie...
    Lets face it: Any film with Tom Cruise is probably worth seeing. At least worth the price of the ticket and popcorn.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I was sure I remembered this being a thread but I couldn't find one. If this is a duplicate thread then sorry.

Are there any actors or actresses that you think don't get the praise they deserve? I can think of a few, and I can think of a few who I don't think are as good as everyone says

Underrated

Giancarlo Esposito- Breaking Bad gets lots of well deserved praise but when people talk about thenperformances it's always Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul they mention. And they were brilliant, but I thought Giancarlo was equally good. Gus was such an amazing villain and a lot of that was down to his performance. Even just sitting and staring, he managed to look menacing. He wasn't flamboyant, he didn't chew the scenery, he was calm, quiet and composed, and that made him all the more threatening. Amazing villain, great actor. I'd like to see him play a Bond baddy.

Robert Carlyle- He gets his fair share of recognition over here but outside the UK he doesn't seem to get much praise even though he's brilliant. He's also one of the few actors who really blends into every part, he's a cameleon, you never think "oh look it's Robert Carlyle" when you're watching him. He's also really varied and he pulls off pretty much every role, whether he's a laid off factory worker turned stripper or a Russian terrorist who's fallen in love with the girl he captured. I think he's one of the best actors of all time.

Mark Wahlberg- I really like him. He seems like a decent bloke who isn't up his own arse like most Hollywood stars and who feels genuinly bad about mistakes he's made in the past. Great actor too. He can do action, he can do drama and he's brilliant at comedy.

Jason Statham- Again, seems like a really down to earth bloke and he's self aware, he knows what kinds of films he's making, he doest pretend they're anything other than popcorn entrrtainment. He's also the only proper old school action hero of the 21st century. A real badass and a pretty good actor (watch Hummingbird).

Roger Craig Smith- He's a voice actor so I don't expect him to be discussed much but he's still criminally overlooked. People bang on about Nolan North and Mark Hamill but this guy blows them all out of the water. He was Batman in the last game and I think he did better job than the the bloke from the first two (who sounded pretty monotone imo); fanboys just didn't want to admit it. He was also Ezio in Assassin's Creed and he gave one of the best performances I've ever seen in anything. I know some of you will laugh at this because it was in computer games but I think his performance as Ezio in all three games (and the short film where he died) was Oscar worthy.

Overrated

Benedict Cumberbatch- Meh. I don't see what's so amazing about him. He's pretty good in Sherlock but not that good, he's a bit one note (Martin Freeman outshines him). He also seems like a bit of a spoilt knobhead in real life, I read an interview of his which really made me dislike him. I honestly liked Robert Downey Jr better.

Nolan North- Yeah he was great in the Uncharted games but everyone says he's the best voice actor working when I think that there are a few that are better. He seems to struggle when he has to change his voice (eg- the awful cockney accent he does in the Batman games) whereas other voice actors can do a variety of voices/accents. I do like him, just think he's a bit overpraised because people act like he's the be all and end all of voice acting.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    David and Victoria Beckham are definitely over-rated celebrities in my book.
    Big Brother, X factor contestants without a doubt!!!! :-q
    Would've added to this thread but I'm a bit too busy laughing at the daftness of the OP calling Tyler Perry talented.