Overrated Stars

edited February 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,341
It is Friday and while checking to decide what movie I might see this weekend I saw some pictures and I decided to start this post.
What actors/actresses/ directors or film makers and films that seem to garnish all this love but manage to suck anally.
List your least favorite actors, actresses, directors, films and maybe even entertainers who make you ask yourself: why all the love for this untalented mother ?

Mine:
Actresses : Jennifer Aniston. Hollywood has been trying to force feed us this sub par and unattractive actress for years. She may have been good in friends but lets face it: Shes untalented and rather homely.
Gabrielle Union. I don't hink this broad can act (no matter how hard she tries) and she never comes off looking or making herself believable. If not for the talented Tyler Perry this chick would still be waiting tables. Maybe she should start being a groopie and if fortunate some pro atheleth can knock her up and then she can give up acting and spare us.

Directors; Ron Howard. yes, Opie from the old Andy Griffith show. for some reason the critics refuse to trash him or his films (which I find to be so uninspiring). I refuse to see any film that this Howdie Doody look a like helms. His last decent film was Cocoon back in 1986...

I may add some actor in the near future...

Comments

• DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Actors - Adam sandler , I don't find him amusing at all and he can't act.
    Actresses - Cameron Diaz, she just isn't as sexy as people make out.
    Directors - tarrantino , I don't like any of his films.

These are just the ones that popped into my head but there are so many more that irk me!

:-@
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    This thread could begin and end with Tom Cruise. I have never understood his appeal.
    echo wrote:
    This thread could begin and end with Tom Cruise. I have never understood his appeal.

Love him or hate him, this prick has a way of landing roles in great films. Since Top Gun in 1986 he has a monopoly on top films. Rain Man, a Few Good Men, Jerry mcGuire, the Last Samurai, Collateral... just to name a few.

Can you name a bad Tom Cruise film?
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 5,634
    Days Of Thunder

and add Angelina Jolie to this, she's not a big star, not that attractive, quite the opposite even and I think this is one example at least of 'star status' exaggeration

Someone mentioned Tarantino as a film director, Yes I'll go along with that. It's nothing personal, just that I think sometimes it's gets a bit blown out of proportion sometimes giving this individual accolades and recognition when not really necessary. There are many more lesser distinguished directors out there who don't always get the recognition they deserve
  • LudsLuds MIA
    DCisared wrote:
    Not only is she not sexy, she's a dog. Ugly face and looks dumb in real life.

• edited February 2012 Posts: 1,310
    echo wrote:
    To be honest, I prefer Cruise as an action star to Brosnan, Lazenby and Moore....and maybe Dalton...maybe...

*runs away*
  • That does make a certain amount of sense, there's no need to run anywhere

I don't mind Cruise as an actor, as with Hanks before he doesn't really make a meal of his showbiz lifestyle and goes about his business quietly. They're the ones I have more respect for, they realize they may be good actors and high profile but keep it to themselves

PS - Yes Diaz is overrated and not exactly of 'Miss World' standards- well said
    Overrated director: <font color=red size=26>JAMES CAMERON!!!!</font>
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 774
    Virage wrote:

I agree, to an extent. Titanic and Avatar were overrated and they've sullied his name. But Terminator 1 and 2, True Lies, Aliens and the Rambo he did were all excellent action films.

Dane Cook, on the other hand, has done nothing good. He is the least funny comedian ever. His success pains me.
    Luds wrote:
    DCisared wrote:
    Not only is she not sexy, she's a dog. Ugly face and looks dumb in real life.

Don't hold back Mate haha

Cameron Diaz WAS extremely sexy in The Mask ;)

Though she was probably plastered in make-up to be fair.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Though she was probably plastered in make-up to be fair.

Interesting point although I think I prefer her in shrek lol
    Haha.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,945
    echo wrote:

I don't know if I'd say Tom Cruise is overrated. He's a decent actor. The fact of him being a douche just taints every film he's in.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Jennifer Aniston. Hollywood has been trying to force feed us this sub par and unattractive actress for years. She may have been good in friends but lets face it: Shes untalented and rather homely.

Agreed on Aniston being overrated. Average acting ability; average looks. I can't name one of her movies.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Agreed. Nowadays, not so much.
    QBranch wrote:
    echo wrote:

Agreed on Aniston being overrated. Average acting ability; average looks. I can't name one of her movies.

[/quote]

Well there's Derailed, Along Came Polly (actually not that bad), The Break Up and errrrr.........Friends...no wait thats not a movie.

• OHMSS69 wrote:
    echo wrote:

Love him or hate him, this prick has a way of landing roles in great films. Since Top Gun in 1986 he has a monopoly on top films. Rain Man, a Few Good Men, Jerry mcGuire, the Last Samurai, Collateral... just to name a few.

mission impossible 2, cocktail.

• edited February 2012 Posts: 12,837
    SJK91 wrote:
    echo wrote:
    To be honest, I prefer Cruise as an action star to Brosnan, Lazenby and Moore....and maybe Dalton...maybe...

*runs away*

*narrows eyes and chases angrily*
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Volante wrote:
    Virage wrote:

I agree, to an extent. Titanic and Avatar were overrated and they've sullied his name. But Terminator 1 and 2, True Lies, Aliens and the Rambo he did were all excellent action films.

What Rambo did Cameron do? He did a first draft of the Rambo 2 screenplay but thats as far as it went.

For all that you can slate Titanic for its cheesy love story, you have to say that it is impressive and was an epic undertaking. Same could be said of Avatar I suppose even though I've never seen it and never will.

T1 & T2 and Aliens are decent but True Lies is a right pile of sh*te. I would say my favourite Cameron film is probably the Abyss - until he ruins it with all the alien bullsh*t.

But hes well overrated. In terms of techincal acheivements hes defintely up at the top along with Lucas but a film is about story not how much computer processing power was used to make it and Camerons scripts are generally pretty ropey as hes more concerned with the effects.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, I opened this thread hoping to find it interesting but I want to just let you know I find some of the language here rather offensive, certainly offputting. You do not have to be so crass, really you do not. I'll leave now for other threads to enjoy ...
    Volante wrote:
    Virage wrote:

What Rambo did Cameron do? He did a first draft of the Rambo 2 screenplay but thats as far as it went.

For all that you can slate Titanic for its cheesy love story, you have to say that it is impressive and was an epic undertaking. Same could be said of Avatar I suppose even though I've never seen it and never will.

T1 & T2 and Aliens are decent but True Lies is a right pile of sh*te. I would say my favourite Cameron film is probably the Abyss - until he ruins it with all the alien bullsh*t.

But hes well overrated. In terms of techincal acheivements hes defintely up at the top along with Lucas but a film is about story not how much computer processing power was used to make it and Camerons scripts are generally pretty ropey as hes more concerned with the effects.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that he's overrated. I just think he did do some decent work earlier in his career. The comparison to Lucas is a pretty accurate one.

And don't bother with Avatar. Watch 'Dances With Wolves' and imagine it's done with blue aliens and you'll get the entire plot, just better told.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Yeah the trailer for Avatar was more than enough. The usual hackneyed good peaceful, nature loving aliens v mans corporate brutality that Cameron likes to churn out. I bet hes an actors dream -
    'James how do you think I should play this scene?'
    'Look just work it out for yourself would you. I'm a bit busy making sure these alien tree branches wave convincingly in the wind.'
    I love True Lies :(
  • Most overrated actor of all time is: Edward Norton - the guy is pants. Over acts, over does everything, is a sleaze, takes himself too seriously and killed Tony Kaye's career.

• edited February 2012 Posts: 401
    I can't think of any actors right now, but an overrated director would be Christopher Nolan.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 2,341
    I agree with all you James Cameron haters. He is overrated and also a royal asshole.
    Kate Winslet says she would never work for him again. Unless they offered her a truckload of money.

Titanic is a story about some rich gal gives up her lifestyle to be with a boy from other side of the tracks...how many times have that been done?? Women love this sloppy moppy tale while men just cringe at some parts in this three hour love story.

Avatar is just cowboys and Indians story. How many times have we seen that?
    Cameron must have felt pretty silly losing the Oscars to one of his ex wives project (The Hurt Locker)
    Terminator 1 and 2, Aliens, and True Lies are top notch though...but he is so hung up with the high tech BS and not so much story these days.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 6,601
    Sorry, but I LOVED Avatar, if mostly for the incredible look and some of the scenes, like the flying on those "whatever" and the spiritual aspect of it, that was very well done IMO. Itrs an old story - which are not these days - but he made me forget, I have seen the plot hundreds of times. It felt new in the waqy he excesuted it.

Agree on True Lies, Bain - good film. One of the few Arni films, that were decent IMO.

But i was bored out of my mind during TDK. Aside from those Joker scenes, bale and the rest were incredibly dull. And that Maggie Gyllenhal is not even pretty, much less a beautiful heroine. Even as a woman, I like my heroines pretty.
    But just like with Avatar, obviously the rest of the world thought different.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Sorry, but I LOVED Avatar, if mostly for the incredible look and some of the scenes, like the flying on those "whatever" and the spiritual aspect of it, that was very well done IMO. Itrs an old story - which are not these days - but he made me forget, I have seen the plot hundreds of times. It felt new in the waqy he excesuted it.

Ahhh the ONE fan who lobbied for the sequal!
    Virage wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Ahhh the ONE fan who lobbied for the sequal!

Sure with over a billion in BO, I am the only fan...
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    echo wrote:

Can you name a good Tom Cruise performance?
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 2,782
    leave the alien loving dwarf alone - he did over do his films back in the day but he's matured into a movie star, not actor. I think he had a chance with an Interview of a Vampire but the sub text of that movie proved too close to reality. Pity he could have done great things. Anyway - Mi4 was great and I liked him in Tropic of Thunder.

On a tangent Brad Pitt who was also in Interview with a Vampire has not only become a movie star but also a great actor.

Sam Mendy Bendy is an overrated director.