What is your least favourite Brosnan flick ?

Comments

DAD for the second half. Though I really need to see TWINE again. I've only seen it once all the way through and that was a long time ago. There were bits I liked, but none of the characters did much for me. But yeah, DAD is the most offensive, though I do think you could argue Brosnan had his best performance in it.
    from best to worse:
    1.TWINE
    2.GE
    3.TND
    4.DAD-i have to admit every time i watch it my opinion about this movie improves
    Quoting Moonraker: My least favorite is "Goldeneye" because I can't get passed the PTS where Bond jumps of the runway and flies into an airplane that is several feet ahead of him.
    Actually that is probably my least favorite moment from ANY bond film. Far worse than the Gondola scene in MR and the cgi para-surf scene in DAD. Fortunately rest of the film is far better.
    Has to be The World is Not Enough. Made me not go to Die Another Day. And yes I have begun to appreciate Die Another Day even after he leaves Cuba.
    The freefall scene was pretty stupid I admit but I don't think it's enough on its own to ruin the whole film.

Besides, Craig had a similar moment in Quantum - the parachute CG scene.
    DAD is the worst, beating out TWINE because of its embarrassing second half. Also, TWINE features Desmond Llewelyn's poignant last appearance as Q, so it's impossible to hate that movie.
    Quoting Bond: so it's impossible to hate that movie
    Tell that to Lazenby ;)
    Okay, it's impossible to hate that SCENE then. If you do, you're a heartless monster. ;;)
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I think he even hates the scene (:| ;)
    Insane. Q rules.
    Quoting BAIN123: The freefall scene was pretty stupid I admit but I don't think it's enough on its own to ruin the whole film.

Besides, Craig had a similar moment in Quantum - the parachute CG scene.
    The freefall in QoS was pretty poor, but nowhere on the level of the one from GE. As I said earlier, I prefer the para-surf CGI scene in DAD to the one in GE.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 50
    Quoting Bond: TWINE features Desmond Llewelyn's poignant last appearance as Q, so it's
    impossible to hate that movie.
    Quoting BAIN123: Tell that to Lazenby
    Quoting Bond: Okay, it's impossible to hate that SCENE then. If you do, you're a heartless
    monster.
    Quoting BAIN123: I think he even hates the scene

You're very close to the truth there, Bain. The scene is as inept as most other scenes in that pile of excrement masquerading as a "Bond film", in that the "writers" don't seem to have a frickin' clue about what or who James Bond actually is, two twerps who seem to think that as long as there are explosions and puerile jokes, then you can just write any old rubbish around it, even a wretched daytime soap opera.

ONE THING makes Q's farewell scene an emotional farewell to a beloved character, and that ONE THING was unsurprisingly provided 36 years earlier by PRODUCERS WHO ACTUALLY HAD A CLUE WHAT THEY WERE DOING: The casting of Desmond Llewellyn. The look on Q's face as he departs is touching and sincere, an 80-odd year old man showing every other person on that wretched set how to show more genuine emotion and sincerity with ONE LOOK than anybody else in that tripefest of a film could even DREAM of mustering.

The writing of the scene is terrible, in that the two hack writers obviously haven't got a clue about Q, for a start: Two things he's "always tried to teach" Bond being "Never let them see you bleed" (WTF???? In 16 previous films over the course of 36 years, when on Earth did Q ever say anything even REMOTELY like that to Bond?) and "Always have an escape plan" (Okay, that can be construed as "always have a gadget" I suppose, but it's still more vague than it needs to be, and again they're words never spoken to Bond by Q previously). Des's face as he departs is the only thing in that scene (and in the ENTIRE FILM, come to that) which isn't the work of clueless hacks. IMO.
  • SharkShark Banned
    edited April 2011 Posts: 348
    TWINE is easily Brosnan's worst. That it is an infallible TRUTH. You CANNOT argue with it, or myself, for that matter.
    Quoting Shark: TWINE is easily Brosnan's worst. That it is an infallible TRUTH. You CANNOT argue with it, or myself, for that matter.
    Well, for once, I won't
    ;-)

Welcome back Shark
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Laz, I get the sneeking suspicion you're not the strongest supporter of the Neal Purvis/Robert Wade/Barbara Brocolli/Michael G Wilson team. Can you please try and be a bit clearer in your post next time? ;)

Quoting jaguar007: As I said earlier, I prefer the para-surf CGI scene in DAD to the one in GE.
    Hmm, I don't know if I'd go that far. The former doesn't feel quite so "video-gamey" as the latter IMO.
    CGI and the Bond series are not a good match.
    Quoting BAIN123: doesn't feel quite so "video-gamey"
    Maybe not as Video gamey, but still looked bad and was just plain stoopid!
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I personally don't think the freefall looked nearly as bad as the surfing thing in DAD. I do agree it was pretty silly though.
  • I've never had a problem with the freefall scene, sure it's a little goofy, but it's definitely not as bad as the surfing in DAD.
    The "GE" free fall scene (made possible by poor 1990's CGI) looks incredible silly especially because it followed such a thrilling, and much more realistic bungee jump. The PTS was going quite well for me until that free fall scene.

It must be how many of you feel when you watch the excellent PTS in "Moonraker", that is absolutely thrilling and spectacular, until its all spoiled by Jaws crashing into a circus. Not that I don't like the scene, but I know it's not a fan favorite.
  • Talk about a battle in the basement haha. Anyway, TWINE by a long shot.
    From best to worst:
    GE
    TND
    TWINE
    DAD

The CGI and general OTT of DAD just ruined it for me. The first half was enjoyable, but it all went downhill from there on. I loved Brosnan as Bond, however his films were all pretty average.
    Die Another Day for sure! Absolutely horrid. I used to think it was better than The World is not Enough, but not anymore! Brosnan's movies rank in the order as they appeared for me.
    DIe Another Day. IMO its by far the worst film in the series.
    My Rankings,
    Goldeneye(Decent)
    Tomorrow Never Dies (Bad)
    The World Is Not Enough (Worse)
    Die Another Day (Unwatchable)
  • Hmm, I have to reach back in my memory for this one...I saw GE and TND opening night and then once each on video, then only saw TWINE and DAD once each (on their opening weekends).

I'd have to say TND. GE had some flaws but otherwise was great, and I found TND a poor followup (it might play better now with all the scandal surrounding Carver...uh, I mean Murdoch). Lame use of Michelle Yeoh considering her talents, Hatcher is out of her element, Bond mowing down people with machines guns seemed weird, I found Carver a dull villian, and the stealth boat fight was a letdown. All of Brosnan's films have an odd mix of good and bad but the good in TND was mostly "meh", with the exception of the Dr. Kaufman scene.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    From Best to Worst:

1.) GE
    2.) TWINE
    3.) TND
    4.) DAD

I just don't see the TWINE hate. Maybe because I'm a Brosnan nut, and I'll watch and love anything the man is in...though I will admit, DAD was pretty bad the second half of the film.
  • Best to worst-

1. GE (by a slight nod)
    2. TND (very close including an excellent Arnold soundtrack)
    3. TWINE

Sorry but DAD by a long shot for worst. The first half has some good spots, but it's still too flawed for my liking. The CFI surfing, the unrealistic scenes such as the hovercraft chase, Bond's phony death complete with his arrival in pajamas at his usual Hong Kong hotel which are strangely dry but his hair is wet, etc. From the time he arrives in Iceland is at best painful to describe .

• Best to worst-

1. GE (by a slight nod)

I actually watched TND last night as I was curious how it held up...better then I remembered but still not very good. I'm curious - why did you like the soundtrack so much? I found it completely forgettable at best, and half of it was the James Bond theme - four times in the first half hour alone! And wasn't the music during one action scene pure techno? No memorable themes and no lietmotifs, and one of the least memorable or interesting title songs. All IMHO, of course.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I just don't see the TWINE hate. Maybe because I'm a Brosnan nut, and I'll watch and love anything the man is in...though I will admit, DAD was pretty bad the second half of the film.
    I'll tell you my reason. ;;) (But first, I don't hate any Bond film, TWINE just happens to be my least favourite Brosnan film. :) ) I find TWINE to be a failed attempt at bringing complexity into a Bond film for the sake of boosting up its dramatic flavours, yet unwillingly ending up being a bit boring. DAD, on the other hand, while over the top in many respects, still holds up well in the amusement department. It really can be an entertaining film, despite its many outbursts of stylish overconfidence. One might say that DAD is a bit of an immature Bond film, but carries the simple joys of a child. TWINE, on the other hand, is a Bond film too grown up and thus too sour and dull, emphasizing certain things that I don't find entertaining in the least bit and struggling to be cohesive. DAD feels to me like going to a party for 12 year old kids, but you're there and you might as well behave like a 12 year old just for sheer amusement. TWINE feels like going to an AA meeting while you have no need whatsoever to beat the bottle. And there's absolutely no fun to be had. Don't get me wrong, I can find a lot of joy in TWINE, I really can, but overall much less than in most other Bonds, which forces me to drop this film even below DAD in my ranking.

All of the above is in my humble opinion of course.

• edited July 2011 Posts: 3,494
    Best to worst-

1. GE (by a slight nod)

I actually watched TND last night as I was curious how it held up...better then I remembered but still not very good. I'm curious - why did you like the soundtrack so much? I found it completely forgettable at best, and half of it was the James Bond theme - four times in the first half hour alone! And wasn't the music during one action scene pure techno? No memorable themes and no lietmotifs, and one of the least memorable or interesting title songs. All IMHO, of course.
    This is off topic a little bit so I'll be as quick as possible to answer, but you deserve an answer.

First of all, I love the retro "Barryesque" feel of the work Arnold did. "Surrender" rates with the greatest Bond songs, it should have been the title song, and I'll agree that Sheryl Crow's track was not one of the better songs in the series. I don't remember this though having anything to do with the rest of the soundtrack. It should have been saved for the credits where no one really cares. I remember getting up to leave and sitting back down the minute I heard the Bond horns blaring to begin Surrender and refusing to leave before I heard it. How you found this song not to be memorable doesn't register on my reality grid, sorry but I don't get that. It's used in the soundtrack like Barry would use his theme songs, and while I never got to meet the greatest composer of my time, I honestly do have myriad connections in the music biz and I was told by by someone who was there that Barry stated he absolutely loved the song.

Another way it is "Barryesque" is how the movie musical motif's change from locale to locale, something else Barry believed in doing. Arnold talks about this in depth on the AVTAK UE special features DVD. He says that he used techno, which I am not a fan of either, because Germany is known for that, and it wasn't overdone because in Germany we also got the exquisite "Paris And Bond". So it at least makes sense. Some Oriental instruments are paired very nicely with the Surrender theme in "Helicopter Ride" as Bond and Wai Lin enter Saigon, and I think "All In A Day's Work" is one of the greatest accompaniments to a Bond grand finale, using Surrender yet again with strings and piano to close the movie.

I have no issue either with the Bond theme liberally used in Bond movies. Barry did plenty of that too. To sum it up, it's an excellent soundtrack that sounds like a Bond soundtrack, and it's still my favorite work Arnold has done to date.