What is your least favourite Brosnan flick ?

Comments

BAIN123 wrote:
    [
    The film as a whole or the chase? The tank chase is good - I admit that but there is some validity to people who say most of the film 'looks poor' or 'looks like a tv film'. Quite a lot of it does.

Kill is a controversial film amongst fans. Always has been.

The film as a whole.

Once again anecdotal evidence from you. They were going for a different kind of film. No space stations, no death spewing satellites, no invisible car. Just one mans mission to bring down another man's empire.

If that's a TV movie then bring it on/

• edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I don't care about that. Plenty of the films have made up locations (eg- Commando).

Of course, but what I mean is that I would be more intrigued by a film if it shot in a real city. It heightens that intrigue I feel as the viewer.

I think it was meant to be Panama, but it would have been controversial if they'd actually used that and kept the corrupt dictator.
    actonsteve wrote:
    The film as a whole.

Once again anecdotal evidence from you. They were going for a different kind of film. No space stations, no death spewing satellites, no invisible car. Just one mans mission to bring down another man's empire.

If that's a TV movie then bring it on

Exactly, they wanted to bring it back to basics so it doesn't have the usual big sets, but it still doesn't look like a TV film, especially when you look at the amazing action.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,189
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    [
    The film as a whole or the chase? The tank chase is good - I admit that but there is some validity to people who say most of the film 'looks poor' or 'looks like a tv film'. Quite a lot of it does.

Kill is a controversial film amongst fans. Always has been.

The film as a whole.

If that's a TV movie then bring it on/

Majesty's is a down to earth 'different' film too with a serious 'agent on his own' plot but at least that had a bit of spectacle and panache too it. That's ultimately the problem with Kill - it lacks spectacle, something important in a Bond film.

I enjoy Kill but I can see why some don't like it and ultimately why it divides fans.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    That's ultimately the problem with Kill - it lacks spectacle, something important in a Bond film.

I hate to use the same examples again but, plane fishing, tanker chase. Lots of amazing stunt work and two of the best action scenes in the entire series. Is that not enough "spectacle" for you.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    That's ultimately the problem with Kill - it lacks spectacle, something important in a Bond film.

Was the plane fishing scene or the tanker chase not enough spectacle for you?

No...it wasn't :p
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Was the plane fishing scene or the tanker chase not enough spectacle for you?

No...it wasn't :p

Most of your problems have been answered. Spectacle: Just look at the amazing action. Sets: Sanchez's mansion. But you still keep saying it's a TV film, etc. No point trying to convince you anymore, you'll never see the light ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    To be fair, LTK just looked kind of cheap. Sure, there were a few great stunts and whatnot but on the whole, the film just looked like it had a standard TV look to it. It could have easily passed for a feature length episode of Miami Vice or Hawaii 5-0.
    Have to agree that LTK does look a bit cheap, but that is not as bad as being total rubbish, like Brozza's films.
    Getafix wrote:
    Have to agree that LTK does look a bit cheap, but that is not as bad as being total rubbish, like Brozza's films.

GE is better than LTK IMO. More spectacle, more humour, better directed (on the whole) and some drama too. The rest? Not so sure.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1,497
    The first three Brozza films are all consistently adequate 90's action flics with some style and flaire. They were actually nicely balanced as Bond films. Nothing that impressive, nothing too terrible either. Christmas Jones was obviously a mistake for TWINE as was the gross underuse of Michael Caryle. But Michael Apted's character driven direction, with Brosnan's more confident performance helped the film. DAD feels completely out of left field. I don't need to go into the specifics of the abomination that is that film, you know them all...

GE through TWINE would have made a nice little Brosnan-Bond trilogy. But DAD was one film too many for that era.
    don't you think the plane stunt at the start of GE is total crud though?

the plane/waterskiing stunt in LTK is better than anything in GE. classic Bond as well - a bit OTT, tongue in cheek and absurd in a good way.
    Getafix wrote:

the plane/waterskiing stunt in LTK is better than anything in GE. classic Bond as well - a bit OTT, tongue in cheek and absurd in a good way.

Not the bunjee jump. That is epic! All filmed in one take and a stunt done for real. I call that pure Bond and personally I'd put that above the plane escape.

The plane stunt in Kill was exciting - don't get me wrong - but a a bit of a prelude to the TND car chase in that Bond was meant to be mega miffed that his partner had been killed then he's grinning away as he's throwing the $$$ out of the plane (same thing happened in TND with Brozza smirking after Paris's death).
    bond doesn't do bunjee. he's not an 18 year old on his gap year.
    Getafix wrote:

Bunjee jumping can't be any less Bond like than riding on a silly looking gondola through St. Peters Square either.

I've never bunjeed and I've been 18 in the past. Its an impressive stunt well filmed. I don't think the bloke who did it was 18 either...plus I'm pretty sure 18 year olds don't bunjee jump off damns that high. One of the best stunts of the series I think (though it doesn't top the Union Jack one in TSWLM)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I've never bunjeed and I've been 18 in the past. Its an impressive stunt well filmed. I don't think the bloke who did it was 18 either...plus 18 year olds don't bunjee jump off damns that high.

Bunjee jumping can't be any less Bond like than riding on a silly gondola through St. Peters Square either.

True. The bungee scene serves the purpose of having a grand stunt to start off the film in typical Bond tradition. The scene serves this purpose well.

JBFan626 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I've never bunjeed and I've been 18 in the past. Its an impressive stunt well filmed. I don't think the bloke who did it was 18 either...plus 18 year olds don't bunjee jump off damns that high.

Bunjee jumping can't be any less Bond like than riding on a silly gondola through St. Peters Square either.

True. The bungee scene serves the purpose of having a grand stunt to start off the film in typical Bond tradition. The scene serves this purpose well.

I like the shot just before the jump which pans up the damn. There you realise just how high it actually is.

The stuntman getting his gun out on the way down is a plus point, must have taken real concentration to do that. If it was me I'd be like 'aaaahhhhhhhh' :p
    always hated it. never heard of the military using bunjees. load of garbage if you ask me.
    Getafix wrote:
    always hated it. never heard of the military using bunjees. load of garbage if you ask me.

Well I'm not asking you!!!!

The military never rode Gondola's through crowded streets either but you complain about that
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Bunjee jumping can't be any less Bond like than riding on a silly looking gondola through St. Peters Square either.

I've never bunjeed and I've been 18 in the past. Its an impressive stunt well filmed. I don't think the bloke who did it was 18 either...plus I'm pretty sure 18 year olds don't bunjee jump off damns that high. One of the best stunts of the series I think (though it doesn't top the Union Jack one in TSWLM)

I have said this before. There is no danger to the bungee as he is attached to a piece of elastic. We know he is going to live.

Then it segues into the hideously cringeworthy "sorry, forgot to knock"

Interestingly this board bursts into life whenever we discuss the Brozzer era.
    who mentioned the gondola? i'm not here to defend a gondola, i'm here to slate brozza movies and that's what I'm going to do.
    Doesn't mean the stunt isn't impressive. Most stuntman do live. Chances are they wouldn't put the stunt in the film if they didn't. As for Bond...we know he's going to live, its the start of the bloomin' film.

I thought Brozza delivered that 'forgot to knock' line line quite well.
    Getafix wrote:
    who mentioned the gondola? i'm not here to defend a gondola, i'm here to slate brozza movies and that's what I'm going to do.

I never would have guessed 8-|
    that's actually brozza's first appearance on screen and what a stinker it is. things could only improve after that. but they didn't.
    Getafix wrote:
    that's actually brozza's first appearance on screen and what a stinker it is. things could only improve after that. but they didn't.

I actually don't mind it. I like the shot immediately afterwards.

As you can see on my Avatar I've got a mug with Brozza's face on it. Don't think I won't defend him.
  • JBFan626 wrote:
    GE through TWINE would have made a nice little Brosnan-Bond trilogy. But DAD was one film too many for that era.

I don't think it's one too many, in fact I think he could've made more, I just think it wasn't very good.

Shame, because I love GE and TWINE, and TND is good fun too.
    these threads are really only kept alive by BAIN. without him there would be no fun in endlessly slagging off Brozza but as it is i could do this for hours.

BAIN is the Duracel bunny of Brosnan defenders - he can go on and on and on about how amazing GE is and never grow tired.

Fortunately I have the same capacity for going on and on about how rubbish it is.

Three cheers for BAIN, annoying though he is!
    Getafix wrote:
    these threads are really only kept alive by BAIN. without him there would be no fun in endlessly slagging off Brozza but as it is i could do this for hours.

BAIN is the Duracel bunny of Brosnan defenders - he can go on and on and on about how amazing GE is and never grow tired.

Fortunately I have the same capacity for going on and on about how rubbish it is.

Three cheers for BAIN, annoying though he is!

I'm flattered :D :D
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Getafix wrote:

That and the tanker chase were the last time we got a real punch in the air Bond moment, I personally don't see those moments in any of Brosnan's films. I know what you are going to say, the bungee jump, the tanker chase blah blah blah, sorry never bought the clothes peg as 007 and his films just look like 90's action films, not James Bond films.

I'm hoping Skyfall gives us that type of moments, the trailer hints at this, Skyfall will hopefully make those deluded people who think GE is the best Bond film some food for thought.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

That and the tanker chase were the last time we got a real punch in the air Bond moment, I personally don't see those moments in any of Brosnan's films. I know what you are going to say, the bungee jump, the tanker chase blah blah blah, sorry never bought the clothes peg as 007 and his films just look like 90's action films, not James Bond films.

I'm hoping Skyfall gives us that type of moments, the trailer hints at this, Skyfall will hopefully make those deluded people who think GE is the best Bond film some food for thought.

Just for the record I DON'T think GE is the best Bond film (that's FRWL). But it is one I really enjoy.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,425
    shardlake, i hope so but i don't think the second unit directors know what a Bond stunt is these days. John Glen and his team knew how to make proper Bond movies. His films feel very distinctive and made the most of often fairly limited budgets.

i'm just hoping for a decent movie and not a total disaster.
    Just interested to know. What do you think of Bond behind the wheel of a Bulldozer @Getafix? (that was in CR)... and it wasn't Brosnan :-O