'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• He was granted a whole new regeneration cycle. I didn't know you were a Who fan, Brady. How much have you seen?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 13,894
    He was granted a whole new regeneration cycle. I didn't know you were a Who fan, Brady. How much have you seen?

This. Though they over complicated the order, by creating a Doctor after the fact (John Hurt as the War Doctor), and both the Tennant and Smith Doctors using up energy that would have/should have lead to a regeneration.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    He was granted a whole new regeneration cycle. I didn't know you were a Who fan, Brady. How much have you seen?

@Jones_The_Bond, interesting. That explanation sounds a bit convenient, but I guess the writers had to pull something out of their nether regions to keep it going (and the past writers probably didn't really know the show would last so long decades and series later and thought they wouldn't have to get to 12 regenerations).

I'm not really a fan, but as a pop culture nut I've dabbled and know enough about him such that I could discuss him if he was brought up in a social setting. I watched a lot of BBC as a kid, and saw Eccleston and Tennant's runs almost inevitably because of it, especially the latter who I'm still pretty soft on today for his exuberance and mix of witty frivolity and earnest compassion. I also saw some of Smith, just in passing, and thought that the Van Gogh episode was especially touching from that run, a piece of TV that transcended the sci-fi genre and the Who series as a whole to just be a powerful human story.

Can't really comment on Capaldi, as I only saw bits and pieces.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Yes, Vincent And The Doctor was a lovely episode (I believe Richard Curtis wrote it). All of the actors have had episodes that will go down as genuinely great moments in Who history. Capaldi will always have Heaven Sent, a true tour de force of acting by him.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    NicNac wrote: »
    Yes, Vincent And The Doctor was a lovely episode (I believe Richard Curtis wrote it). All of the actors have had episodes that will go down as genuinely great moments in Who history. Capaldi will always have Heaven Sent, a true tour de force of acting by him.

Even as a casual observer of Who, I get emotional when Tennant regenerates ("I don't want to go"). All the stuff with Rose was also really touching to me as a kid.
  • Yes, the shows creators could never have imagined that the show would run for so long. The idea that somehow extra regeneration cycles were in the gift of the Timelords (which has never been adequately explained) has a precedent as The Master was offered a new cycle if he would help The Doctor in the Anniversary special The Five Doctors from 1983. There is more than a hint of the writers making it up as they went along. I guess it's part of the charm.

Apart from vague memories as a child of Sylvester McCoy, I was never a dedicated watcher of the show. Amongst all the 50th Anniversary hoopla, I decided to start watching. But from the beginning. The very beginning. I watched them all in order (or listened to the reconstructions) and it was fascinating to observe the evolution of the show as the various eras came and went.

If you have a lot of time on your hands, and a fair bit of patience, there is no richer science fiction heritage to explore than Doctor Who. Equally, it's the ideal show to dip in and out of, as it is constantly reinventing itself. There is nothing quite like it. Steven Moffat frequently refers to is as "the greatest television show of all time."

And as for next year, I think I'm actually more worried about Chris Chibnall than I am Jodie Whittaker.
    @Jones_The_Bond, I'm really not a big sci-fi guy, but I may dabble some more later. I do want to see more of Baker's Who from the older runs, as what I've seen I really like. That scarf is just iconic as well. ;)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    New Who has given us some truly beautiful episodes; Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways, The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit, Human Nature/The Family of Blood, Blink, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, Midnight, Turn Left, The Waters of Mars to name a few.
    Tennant's a weird one for me. He's a very good actor, his era had plenty of good episodes and I can see why he was so popular but I never really warmed to him in the part. Think I was just really disappointed Eccleston left and he never really completely won me over. It didn't help that towards the end his episodes seemed to get way too cheesy and melodramatic for me, thought his regeneration episode was awful. Matt Smith was brilliant. He really inhabited the role and I was verybsad to see him go. It took me a while to warm to Capaldi, because I was really excited for him and the prospect of a darker character and darker show but I didn't enjoy his fist series very much at all and it seemed to take them a while to nail down his version. But with this last series he's won me over completely and I think it's a shame he's leaving now.

Off the top of my head my favourite episodes are Dalek, Fathers Day, Blink and Bad Wolf/Parting Of The Ways. World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls are up there too for me and I really enjoyed Oxygen and the episodes with The Monks. I really liked the James Corden episodes from Matt Smith's run too.

Eccleston is still the best for me. He bought so many layers to it. He actually sold The Daleks, which I've always thought were stupid, as a credible threat. Funny, down to earth but also really good in the more intense moments. You got the sense that the gurning happy go lucky mancunian persona was all an act hiding this bitter war veteran. Watched his regeneration scene on Youtube the other day and it reminded me of how good he was. I really should rewatch some of his episodes, I think they're all on Netflix and it's been a while.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 19,339
    This just in :

Colin Baker backing Idris Elba for Doctor Who.

Colin Baker is backing Idris Elba to be the next Time Lord.

The former 'Doctor Who' star - who portrayed the sixth incarnation of the popular sci-fi character - thinks it is only a matter of time before the BBC opt for a black Doctor after they appointed Jodie Whittaker as the first female in the role, and he is hoping the 'Luther' actor gets the nod.

He is quoted by the Daily Star newspaper as saying: "I suppose changing gender and racial type at the same time might have been too brave for them.

"There's been a lot of speculation that it could have been Idris Elba and that he would make a brilliant Doctor. The fact is he would.

"Now they've broken the bravery barrier I'd say watch that space because it would be entirely right."

Colin recently admitted he was delighted that a female Doctor had been cast for the first time, congratulating incoming executive producer Chris Chibnall on the appointment.

He said: "I have repeatedly stated publicly that I personally would not just welcome but expect a female Doctor, but that I doubted the courage of the decision-makers at the BBC to allow a showrunner to explore the exciting opportunities afforded by such brave and game-changing casting.

"Clearly I was wrong and I congratulate Chris Chibnall, the incoming executive producer and writer, on succeeding where others may have failed or maybe not even tried.

"What is doubly encouraging is the fact he has very long track record of writing good strong parts for men and women alike, including the new Doctor, Jodie Whittaker, who was superb in 'Broadchurch'.

"I do not believe catastrophe awaits 'Doctor Who' and expect a renaissance - not that one is needed. Peter Capaldi was magnificent and was a refreshing contrast to the youthful trend that preceded him (who were also superb I hasten to add)."

Jodie's selection hasn't gone without criticism from some, but Colin blasted "fans" who claim they won't watch the programme any more following the female casting.

He wrote on Twitter: "Cannot deny that I am amazed by the 'never watch it again' reaction by some viewers ( I hesitate to call them 'fans'). Very sad (sic)"

Idris Elba is a lucky guy, having all these people vouching for his ascension to these big roles. First it was Batman, then it was Bond, then it was still Bond, and now it's Doctor Who. There's only a small amount of time left before he's suggested for Jesus in a new biopic.
  • I think Colin is starting to enjoy seeing his name back in print. I thought the way Peter Davison was treated on Twitter for just stating an opinion - and being utterly fair and reasonable, as Peter Davison always is - was appalling.

There's a lot of grandstanding going on at the moment.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Black actors should feel thoroughly insulted that idris Elba is the only one the media seem to be aware of
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I think Colin is starting to enjoy seeing his name back in print. I thought the way Peter Davison was treated on Twitter for just stating an opinion - and being utterly fair and reasonable, as Peter Davison always is - was appalling.

I think Colin is liking it a bit too much. One moment he is overjoyed at seeing the first female Doctor, next moment he is backing Idris Elba for the next Doctor. Jesus, Colin, one thing at a time. What next, is he going to be overjoyed at Idris Elba being cast as MajorDSmythe in MI6 The Movie?

I don't care for the 5th Doctor, but I have complete respect for Davison for speaking his mind, even if it risks being called sexist. If there is one thing the internet can't cope with, is an opinion that isn't the "right" one.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Black actors should feel thoroughly insulted that idris Elba is the only one the media seem to be aware of

I'd be insulted if I was Idris as well, because so many of these people supporting him make it seem like he can't campaign himself by letting his own work do the talking. He's a damn fine actor and doesn't need this unofficial group constantly shouting his name for all these roles. He's starting to get tired of it, and doesn't even entertain the Bond rumors with a smile anymore and instead shows frustration. He's probably sick of hearing it, and I would be too.
    Idris Elba would make a fantastic Bond imo. But suggesting him for Doctor Who just smacks of "I want to suggest a black actor and he's the most famous British one" to me. I guess the show has more leeway than most because the character can basically be anyone/anything, but I think Elba is just too cool to really fit. Too suave and naturally masculine in that Connery esque way to play a (mostly) pacifist alien.
  • Idris Elba would make a fantastic Bond imo. But suggesting him for Doctor Who just smacks of "I want to suggest a black actor and he's the most famous British one" to me. I guess the show has more leeway than most because the character can basically be anyone/anything, but I think Elba is just too cool to really fit. Too suave and naturally masculine in that Connery esque way to play a (mostly) pacifist alien.

Exactly. I agree entirely.

It's all a little embarrassing now, really.

I see that Peter Davison appears to have chucked Twitter. Probably for the best. His remarks were not insulting in the slightest. In fact, he tried to see the Jodie Whittaker casting from both sides, and asked for understanding for the opinions of those with whom you disagreed. For this, he had abuse hurled at him. Seeing both sides of an argument is clearly not 'pure' enough a stance to take.

Brave heart, 5th Doctor. Brave heart.
    Idris Elba would make a fantastic Bond imo. But suggesting him for Doctor Who just smacks of "I want to suggest a black actor and he's the most famous British one" to me. I guess the show has more leeway than most because the character can basically be anyone/anything, but I think Elba is just too cool to really fit. Too suave and naturally masculine in that Connery esque way to play a (mostly) pacifist alien.

Well to be honest, the "he's black and British" is one of the reasons he gets mentioned for Bond too, considering he's the only mainstream black actor from the country that fits the bill or is remotely known. I'll say this: he's a better actor than any of the meek suggestions people have made for Bond #7 thus far or that the bookies throw bets on.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    I think Colin is starting to enjoy seeing his name back in print. I thought the way Peter Davison was treated on Twitter for just stating an opinion - and being utterly fair and reasonable, as Peter Davison always is - was appalling.

I think Colin is liking it a bit too much. One moment he is overjoyed at seeing the first female Doctor, next moment he is backing Idris Elba for the next Doctor. Jesus, Colin, one thing at a time. What next, is he going to be overjoyed at Idris Elba being cast as MajorDSmythe in MI6 The Movie?

I don't care for the 5th Doctor, but I have complete respect for Davison for speaking his mind, even if it risks being called sexist. If there is one thing the internet can't cope with, is an opinion that isn't the "right" one.

Very well said, Major.
    Hounded off of twitter by people who preach tolerance? Oh the irony.

tumblr_m67pqkN53t1qcwhkeo1_400.gif

That's the fandom right now.
    Forgive the pun? But is the TIME nigh for the Dr Who series?
    Yeah, completely wrong for The Doctor. Not sure I get where Baker is coming from (unless he's coming from, as you said, 'Hey, here's the most famous black British actor right now.')

It was confirmed some time ago that a black actor (most likely Patterson Joseph, chance it could have been Chiwetel Ejiofor) was offered the part when Smith took over for Tennant, but he turned down the role. Ejiofor's always great, and only ever saw Joseph in DW itself (Series 1) but simply based on that one performance either would've been loads more suitable than Elba.
    Well to be honest, the "he's black and British" is one of the reasons he gets mentioned for Bond too, considering he's the only mainstream black actor from the country that fits the bill or is remotely known. I'll say this: he's a better actor than any of the meek suggestions people have made for Bond #7 thus far or that the bookies throw bets on.

Perhaps. I'll grant it's an easy name to advance an agenda. But however he might have got noticed, you've hit the nail on the head as regards the current crop of suggestions for Bond 7: Elba blows them all out of the water. We'd get too few movies from him now (he's only five years younger than Craig), but the man drips machismo, and he's got a great physical presence like Connery had. Timing was all wrong, but if EON had had an opening circa 2010 and decided on Elba for the simple reason he was Elba, I'd be on board. If it was as some kind of political statement, then no obviously. I believe the man himself has said as much, actually.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    They should have gotten Jason Statham as the new Dr.
    @thelivingroyale, if a black actor had to play Bond, Idris would be the only one I can think of that I'd be at all comfortable with, and that is very much down to his quiet presence that I think a Bond actor needs. People without the dramatic ability to use body language shouldn't have a shot at Bond, because he doesn't telegraph his thoughts and feelings directly and can only do that through the body and eyes. That's why people like Sean and Dan are so good, and Idris has that.

Still, as you say, his time is done and he's already trying to get people to shut up about it. I just want more Luther!
    This whole alleged PC thing just does my head in. Things that are well established and fully recognised around the world should just be left alone and respected.
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    I think Idris is too sexy to be the Doctor. I can get why people think he'd make a great Bond - he has the swagger and he has a fantastic and tough screen presence.

I know loads of people think David Tennant is sex on legs but that was always more in a geeky way.

However, as I've never seen him play a 'Doctor type' character it's difficult to say if Idris could pull it off - he is a great actor after all and sometimes the most perfect changes are ones that seemed impossible.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I am a bit late to reacting to the new Doctor being female, my first thought was I love the Doctor and like Bond and other male role models since I was young I projected myself into these characters, my nephew has done the same in recent years with the relaunch. For long time fans and new fans I feel the character has been taken away, good luck to the new Doctor I'll still watch it though how many famous female characters are likely to change gender?

:))
    Brilliant indeed.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Dr Who's Jodie Whittaker makes public apology to rival.

The only thing close to the speculation about the next Doctor Who must be the identity of the next James Bond, but following the big reveal that the 13th Doctor would be Jodie Whittaker, she is apologising to a fellow actress who was also tipped for the role.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who appeared in Fleabag, Broadchurch, and even has a role in the upcoming Han Solo spin-off Star Wars movie, was a prime contender in many people's eyes to be the next Time Lord.

Jodie is now apologising for the weeks of hounding Phoebe endured while Jodie remained very tight-lipped about her incredible new role.

Speaking to Dermot O'Leary on BBC Radio 2, she said: "It was just amazing that Phoebe Waller-Bridge had all that and she dealt with it all so amazingly and gracefully.

"And at no point could I just text her and go, 'I'm so sorry' – because I was under the radar the entire time until the last few days.

I told my husband – that doesn't count does it? – and I told my Mum. And then my Dad was FURIOUS!

"It was a full military operation – I basically whispered for three months. It was getting really tedious that even in my own kitchen I was still talking like that. If the window was open I'd get like, 'what have I said, what have I said?!'"

Following the announcement there was huge amounts of backlash for the BBC choosing to cast a female actor in the classic role – a decision which Matt Smith demanded to find out early.

Numerous Doctor Who alumni have come out to condemn the ridiculous reaction, while PETA has bizarrely requested that the new Doctor is a vegan.