Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is a work of art.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The Revenant is truly a great film. I must pick that up on blu ray and give it another watch. Tom Hardy is chilling.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,692
    @bondjames I wonder how many lines Hardy has in 'Fury Road', 'The Revenant' and 'Dunkirk' put together. I know he's not very talkative in MM:FR, and having seen Dunkirk yesterday he has about 15 lines in that one at most. I haven't seen Revenant in a while though, so I'm less sure about that one.
    @DaltonCraig007, if he only has that few lines in Dunkirk (which I'm seeing tomorrow - excited!) then we've probably seen most of them in the trailer. I seem to recall "I'm on him" or something along those lines and another exchange.

I can't remember much about The Revenant because it's been a while, but he has more to say in the film if I recall correctly. It's another role where the man is almost unrecognizable. He truly is a chameleon.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I remember loathing Hardy in STAR TREK NEMESIS. Then I saw him in INCEPTION and I was sold.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,692
    @bondjames I did watch that trailer a whole lot before seeing Dunkirk, and that's the bulk of his dialogue in the film. In words count, Hardy says about 50 of them. Could be even less, as most of his lines are short 3/4 word sentences.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's another role where the man is almost unrecognizable. He truly is a chameleon.

A dwarf who can convincingly pull off being Bane must be a genius.
    GALAXY QUEST

8af4de0_heroes_fuera_2.jpg

I don't care what people say, this is a FUN movie! Sigourney is really hot in this one too.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    One of the best Star Trek movies ever made.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

For what could have been a turbo charged remake, the violence isn't anymore graphic than the original. There might be more instances of violence, but it is done in the same way as the 1974 original. As a remake, it's hard to sum up. It mostly stick to the overall story, but makes a number of changes. I can't decide whether I like knowing more about Leatherface. Well, were going to know a lot more in the next film...

Also, I have to mention that moment when the Sherrif's car pulls up, and it is revealed that the Sherrif is play by R. Lee Ermey, you instantly know the situation is going to go from bad to dire. *cue flashbacks to Full Metal Jacket*

Chainsaw Rev-ometer:
    1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
    2. Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990)
    3. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
    4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
    5. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1994)

@MajorDSmythe
    I really like that film. It scared the hell out of me. I could feel the tension. I might even put it in the number 1 spot.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    THE REVENANT.

Wow! Just wow! What a stunning and gripping piece of cinema. Gripped from beginning to end and can see why it got the Oscar rewards. On a humorous note I wonder if that was the hardest script Leo had to learn? He hardly spoke throughout the film? Lol!

Yet he gave a brilliant performance, didn't he, @RogueAgent? Truly, seeing that film in the theatre was a wonderful experience. Everybody was silent. We felt the tension and the beauty of nature.

The whole thing was a masterpiece DD. That bear attack too didn't half make me wince. The realism of the battle scenes and effects were truly inspiring. Of all the films I have seen DiCaprio in? This for me is by far his best performance.
    @RogueAgent
    Ditto. Beats everything he's done with Scorsese, even though he already gave some really impressive performances in the films they did together. But in THE REVENANT he almost stopped acting and began living the story. You can see and feel the pain.
    This Is the End (2013)
    Stars: James Franco, Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen

Crap film.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    John Wick
    John Wick 2
    The Accountant

Both Wick movies are highly recommended.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    As usual for that crew.

Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen don't make good films anymore.
    When was their last good film ?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    In my experience, never.
    Seconded.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    One of the best Star Trek movies ever made.

Picard's cameo steals the show. I think he killed a whole pack of mecha-Wookies in just twenty seconds of screen time there.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Dunkirk (2017)
    nm0REPg.jpg

Just got back. Wow. This is a full fledged visual and aural masterpiece. Nolan drops the viewer in the thick of the action from the opening minute and it doesn't let up for the full 2 hr runtime. At the end of it all one feels like one has just survived the experience of war itself, as seen from the perspectives of a young private, a Spitfire pilot, a civilian sailor (with his son and young friend) & a British naval commander. This is a very different kind of film from recent Nolan entries. The narrative is sparse, and there is limited dialogue, next to no melodrama, very little exposition & nearly no blood on screen (which is surprising given what transpires in the film). What I found most impressive is that it keeps a distance from the participants, but is still is able to convey the fear, bravery, loneliness, hopelessness & horror of battle entirely through the visuals & sound. It's almost a curious mix of a historic documentary & a live computer game or theme park ride. Nolan expertly intersperses 3 timelines into the film (one week on the ground, one day at sea, and one hour in the air). The film is similar to Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity due to its visceral nature, but it's more clinical, and much less emotional. I like that, but I can appreciate that others may not. It's like the masterfully tense 'docking sequence' from Interstellar stretched out for the entire run time.

Nolan confirms with this film that he is a director of near unlimited creativity and versatility. It feels real, immediate & raw, & is refreshing because it doesn't have all the 3D trickery & over-processed CGI infestation which is all too evident in today's generic (and forgettable) blockbusters. It feels old school as a result. Hans Zimmer once again captures the emotion and mood perfectly with his pulsating ominous score. Newcomer Fionn Whitehead is definitely going places, and Tom Hardy again demonstrates that he can do more while wearing a face mask than any other actor.

I can't wait to see this one again. Highly recommended, and make sure you see it on the biggest screen with the absolute best sound system.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    In my experience, never.

I agree.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 12,283
    Spider-Man 3 (2007). Concluded my Spider-Man Trilogy marathon tonight. I know most won't agree with me, but I honestly believe this movie is way over-hated and has a lot going for it. Though I agree it is the weakest of the trilogy, it still serves as a mostly satisfying conclusion for me. Harry's arc is wrapped up nicely, the Sandman is a great villain and has a good story, and both Peter and Mary Jane overcome bad times for a hopeful future.

The flaws are obvious; Venom was shoehorned in - and Eddie Brock is really just a meh character in the film, Gwen wasn't used well, the Emo Parker scenes are cringey, etc. However, the flaws don't ruin the film for me, and I think while it's weaker than the first two, it still fits in the trilogy nicely. I have always loved this trilogy, warts and all.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Spider-Man 3 (2007). Concluded my Spider-Man Trilogy marathon tonight. I know most won't agree with me, but I honestly believe this movie is way over-hated and has a lot going for it. Though I agree it is the weakest of the trilogy, it still serves as a mostly satisfying conclusion for me. Harry's arc is wrapped up nicely, the Sandman is a great villain and has a good story, and both Peter and Mary Jane overcome bad times for a hopeful future.

The flaws are obvious; Venom was shoehorned in - and Eddie Brock is really just a meh character in the film, Gwen wasn't used well, the Emo Parker scenes are cringey, etc. However, the flaws don't ruin the film for me, and I think while it's weaker than the first two, it still fits in the trilogy nicely. I have always loved this trilogy, warts and all.

@FoxRox, after seeing Homecoming and thinking over all the past Spidey films, I actually agree with you. I have the feeling that the next time I see 3 I will like it more or at least appreciate it far more than I ever have before, though I don't think I've ever hated it, just was disappointed.

The Amazing Spider-Man films were a joke from most standpoints, especially in story and character, so in comparison to those two 3 is basically a masterpiece. What Raimi was able to do in 3, even under the gun of the studio, is actually pretty great. All the villains have clear motivations and you know exactly why they are doing what they're doing, Danny Elfman is on fire, the action is as beautifully choreographed as you'd expect it to be with that team (Spider-Man 2 still has the best action I've ever seen in a superhero film to this day) and there are attempts to tell very human stories throughout. Peter turns his back on all he'd built in the past films, Harry struggles to reconcile his past and what has happened between he and Peter, Peter considers a long future with Mary Jane and has finally made the effort to commit, and the connection to Sandman and Ben's death teaches Peter forgiveness while also giving him closure.

The recent string of bad superhero films, the last Spider-Man films included from Sony's loony film division really make it easy to go back and reassess and appreciate 3 for how it didn't fail in the departments so many movies like it do now. I think it makes a pretty solid trilogy, with 1 being fantastic and genre changing, 2 being a masterpiece of the medium that stands both as a genre picture and movie of its own, and 3 being a solid conclusion to the story they started in 2002.
    FoxRox wrote: »

@FoxRox, after seeing Homecoming and thinking over all the past Spidey films, I actually agree with you. I have the feeling that the next time I see 3 I will like it more or at least appreciate it far more than I ever have before, though I don't think I've ever hated it, just was disappointed.

The Amazing Spider-Man films were a joke from most standpoints, especially in story and character, so in comparison to those two 3 is basically a masterpiece. What Raimi was able to do in 3, even under the gun of the studio, is actually pretty great. All the villains have clear motivations and you know exactly why they are doing what they're doing, Danny Elfman is on fire, the action is as beautifully choreographed as you'd expect it to be with that team (Spider-Man 2 still has the best action I've ever seen in a superhero film to this day) and there are attempts to tell very human stories throughout. Peter turns his back on all he'd built in the past films, Harry struggles to reconcile his past and what has happened between he and Peter, Peter considers a long future with Mary Jane and has finally made the effort to commit, and the connection to Sandman and Ben's death teaches Peter forgiveness while also giving him closure.

The recent string of bad superhero films, the last Spider-Man films included from Sony's loony film division really make it easy to go back and reassess and appreciate 3 for how it didn't fail in the departments so many movies like it do now. I think it makes a pretty solid trilogy, with 1 being fantastic and genre changing, 2 being a masterpiece of the medium that stands both as a genre picture and movie of its own, and 3 being a solid conclusion to the story they started in 2002.

It's funny you mention the one bit about Danny Elfman - it was actually composed by Christopher Young, who did a fantastic job picking up where Elfman left off in 2. It really does sound just like Elfman though! I really haven't enjoyed superhero films much lately (did not see Logan yet though), with The Dark Knight Rises, Deadpool, Thor 1, and The Killing Joke being the big exceptions for this decade (for me). The old Spider-Man trilogy is really special to me, and I really think 3 is one of the most underrated comic-book films ever. Like I said - obvious flaws, but lots of good that gets overlooked.
    Elfman came on and helped Young. The score when Spidey first awakens in the Black Suit is my favorite piece of music in the whole trilogy.
    Elfman came on and helped Young. The score when Spidey first awakens in the Black Suit is my favorite piece of music in the whole trilogy.

This is news to me. What was Elfman doing at the time that he couldn't take full duties?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 7,854
    He and Raimi had some differences on Spider-Man 2 that nearly caused him to drop out of that film, but they settled it in time for Elfman to effectively be a "consultant" for Young, hence how well the scores fit together.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondjames wrote: »
    Dunkirk (2017)
    nm0REPg.jpg

Just got back. Wow. This is a full fledged visual and aural masterpiece. Nolan drops the viewer in the thick of the action from the opening minute and it doesn't let up for the full 2 hr runtime. At the end of it all one feels like one has just survived the experience of war itself, as seen from the perspectives of a young private, a Spitfire pilot, a civilian sailor (with his son and young friend) & a British naval commander. This is a very different kind of film from recent Nolan entries. The narrative is sparse, and there is limited dialogue, next to no melodrama, very little exposition & nearly no blood on screen (which is surprising given what transpires in the film). What I found most impressive is that it keeps a distance from the participants, but is still is able to convey the fear, bravery, loneliness, hopelessness & horror of battle entirely through the visuals & sound. It's almost a curious mix of a historic documentary & a live computer game or theme park ride. Nolan expertly intersperses 3 timelines into the film (one week on the ground, one day at sea, and one hour in the air). The film is similar to Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity due to its visceral nature, but it's more clinical, and much less emotional. I like that, but I can appreciate that others may not. It's like the masterfully tense 'docking sequence' from Interstellar stretched out for the entire run time.

Nolan confirms with this film that he is a director of near unlimited creativity and versatility. It feels real, immediate & raw, & is refreshing because it doesn't have all the 3D trickery & over-processed CGI infestation which is all too evident in today's generic (and forgettable) blockbusters. It feels old school as a result. Hans Zimmer once again captures the emotion and mood perfectly with his pulsating ominous score. Newcomer Fionn Whitehead is definitely going places, and Tom Hardy again demonstrates that he can do more while wearing a face mask than any other actor.

I can't wait to see this one again. Highly recommended, and make sure you see it on the biggest screen with the absolute best sound system.

The more I hear about this film the more I can't wait to see it.

Nolan is definitely one of the most exciting filmmakers around.

This guy would make an incredible Bond film.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If Dunkirk does well at the box office, EON will certainly be interested. Dunkirk was a British perspective and Bond is a British Icon. In a way, Nolan is destined for this and always has been.
    I plan on seeing Dunkirk on Wednesday. Sounds pretty good.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I watched quiet a bit of movies over the past few days. I'll place them in the order I viewed them.

Back to the Future Trilogy
    BTTF.jpg
    I forgot how fun these movies are. I randomly picked this up in the store the other day and I'm glad I did! Of course there are some pretty big plot holes as the movies go on but it's such a fun trilogy that you can over look them.

Back to the Future
    Back to the Future Part III
    Back to the Future Part II

Dunkirk
    dunkirk-poster-8.jpg
    I heard so many great things about this and I missed out seeing Nolan's Inception and Interstellar in theaters, so there was no way I was going to miss this one... I wish I did. I know I'm in the minority here but this movie was god awful. It's in no way like Nolan's directing style from his previous films. Throughout the whole thing I kept thinking, "Christ Nolan, what the hell were you thinking. This isn't you." Even Hans Zimmer's score was lacking. This was the first time I contemplated leaving the theater in the middle of a movie but decided to stick around since it's a Christopher Nolan film. The movie jumps around too much and has no character that we really get to know or care about. I will say that I loved the air to air combat. They looked wonderful and Tom Hardy's character was the only one I wanted to see more of. They could've made the whole movie about that and it would've been a thousand times better. Again, I know I'm in the minority but for me it was by far Nolan's worst film and, so far, is my worst film for 2017.

Central Intelligence
    Central-Intelligence-Movie-Review.jpg
    I finally got around to watching this for the first time. It wasn't too funny but entertaining enough. Overall a pretty forgettable film.

Life
    maxresdefault.jpg
    This one had a vibe of the first Alien but a bit watered down from it. The alien was pretty creepy and original. I remember one of the things I kept hearing about this movie was that it has a "big twist ending." It doesn't. A big twist would've been finding out one of the astronauts was an alien the whole time but what we got was a typical horror movie twist ending. An overall decent movie.