Then and Now; This Week - Spectre

Comments

Better make that 6
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    6 coming your way, stirred not shaken, right?
    Just crack the cans open for me, cheers.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I enjoy both Skyfall and Spectre.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    SPECTRE

THEN and NOW: a tie. I loved the film the first time I saw it and I still do. Despite some vigorously negative responses to the film here on the forums, my personal appreciation of the film remains high and firm. In a little under a year, I've watched the film close to 10 times and not once have I found myself bored with or upset by what I was seeing. Instead, I've time and again found a type of Bondian joy which even the much revered SF fails to supply IMO.
    I have to say: Tie

Liked it when i first saw it, and it hasn't really declined any since.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 3,000
    Then;
    I wasn't too sure about the film during the first viewing. I enjoyed a lot of it, and loved that it was a return to formula, but some things didn't sit well. After the explosion at Blofeld's base I was afraid that was going to be the anticlimactic end of the movie. The whole thing with shooting down the helicopter and not shooting Blofeld all felt very weak. There was nothing I wanted more at the time than for the scene to end with the solid bang of a bullet in Blofeld's head. The ending with Bond driving off with Madeleine was pretty much how I've always pictured the entire series ending, so I was left with the feeling of "Where do we go from here?". I left the theater very unsettled.

Now;
    Watching the film again my enjoyment of it has grown greatly. Knowing that the base exploding wasn't the end helps, and the ending has grown on me. While the taking down of a helicopter with a pistol is still weak, everything around that scene (especially the events in the old MI6 building) is very good. Though I'd still prefer a variation on the story where Bond kills Blofeld, I've come to appreciate Bond not shooting him for the big deal that it is. It was Bond showing Madeleine that he didn't have to be like her assassin father, and it's precisely why so many people expect a return of Madeleine. My future enjoyment of the ending depends on what they do going forward. If they have Blofeld escaping and killing her, essentially rehashing OHMSS, I'll be very disappointed in EON for being such morons. If they find some other way of getting her out of Bond's life, I'll be happy. They can ignore her entirely, or better still, end the story of Craig's Bond here with a happy ending, and let his reboot exist as its own isolated Bond universe, not continuing its story.

All in all, I enjoy the film a lot, and a lot more now, despite its shortcomings.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Man, this thread has been dead for a while. Anybody have any more thoughts to add? Newcomers?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll vote 'Then'. I actually quite enjoyed it upon the first viewing.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'll probably vote "Then". You can also put me down as someone who really enjoys SF and SP. I still like Spectre a lot, to me it's very flawed but there's still a lot to love. These days I put it on because I want to watch the incredible (IMO) PTS, and then I just can't find a point that I want to turn it off.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Then.

Loved it the moment it came out. But I was just on my usual new Bond film high. Now, I can't remember the last time I watched it. Shoulda just remade OHMSS and been done with it.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited July 2017 Posts: 7,526
    Then.

Loved it the moment it came out. But I was just on my usual new Bond film high. Now, I can't remember the last time I watched it. Shoulda just remade OHMSS and been done with it.

Moreover, they should have remade TB, OHMSS and YOLT and adhered more to the books :P What a way to celebrate the ownership of Spectre/Blofeld that would have been!

Not that we need anymore versions of Thunderball.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Then, yeah.
    Then - Loved it when Spectre came out, although a bit perturbed by the return of Roger Moore era humour.

Now - Snooze. Spectre is a bore - it really doesn't stand up to repeated viewings very well at all. And from the torture scene on it gets pretty silly.
    Then
    Tie or now. Either way, I continue to have fun with this film.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Man, this thread has been dead for a while. Anybody have any more thoughts to add? Newcomers?

I guess it is because we have several - sometimes unrelated threads - that discuss SP. Everyone is just tired of it.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    SPECTRE

THEN and NOW: a tie. I loved the film the first time I saw it and I still do. Despite some vigorously negative responses to the film here on the forums, my personal appreciation of the film remains high and firm. In a little under a year, I've watched the film close to 10 times and not once have I found myself bored with or upset by what I was seeing. Instead, I've time and again found a type of Bondian joy

Indeed dear @DarthDimi . The only bit that is vaguely upsetting is the brother angle. But I'm seduced by SP's retro glamour vibe. And Lea is too die for.

Until the misjudged return to London for the finale, its still a very entertaining Bond movie!
    Its tie for me too!
    Then -really looking forward to an improvement on SF and got really disappointing the longer the movie lasted. Walked out of the movie in a really foul mood.

Now - SP & SF make really nice coffee toasters.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Then - I was quite shocked at how bad it was. I tried to look on the bright side after my first disappointing theatre viewing, but don't mind saying I was quite let down after anxiously awaiting it for 3 years. I expected this kind of thing from Brosnan, not Craig!

Now - I'm still anxiously trying to find something in it to like. It's probably the Bond film I've viewed the most as a result. The best I can say is that Mendes obviously had some convoluted Kubrick style vision that he was trying to achieve, and I'm probably too dim to realize what it was. I may give up at some point. Certainly not a fun Bond film for me!
    The London climax is something I can't understand people upset over so easily. I thought the ruins of Vauxhall Cross the perfect place for the dramatic resolution to Bond's inner turmoil. If you have been willing to give the film its concessions up until this point, surely you shouldn't have too many difficulties with the final act of SPECTRE within the internal logic of the film. I understand that some folks don't like the film in total, that's another thing entirely. But I fail to see why one should reject the London act as something that doesn't make sense after everything that's come before.

I wasn't too pleased with a stealth boat, a video game controlled killer drill and Rambo Bond in '97, but I understood how it fitted the rest of the movie. Had that climax been pasted over that of say GE, I would have freaked out. Had the climax of SP been the finale to CR, my jaws would have been on the floor. But SP is its own thing, a bit uneven at times, with a heavy style-over-substance vibe flowing through it, and some almost David Lynchian "huh?" moments here and there. And that's why we don't get a raid on Ford Knox or a hollowed out volcano. In some Bond films it makes sense to end atop the Golden Gate Bridge or aboard a Russian plane carrying loads of opium, or in trucks full or heroin or in a vertical submarine. In SP, it makes sense to end where it ends. I just don't feel the whiplash that many seem to suffer when they jump from Blofeld's lair in the desert to C and M and Q and MP in the British capital. So for me at least, the climax of SP is just another fine act in a film that I like very much and won't shy away from, even if it puts me in the shadows of this forum's seemingly more popular negative opinion of the film.

I still hold SP, including its climax, in higher esteem than SF, a film I also like, just not as much.
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,263
    Then: I first watched it at a very small Thursday screening. Originally, I wasn't planning on attending the early release, but I actually got stuck in an elevator and had to cancel the rest of my schedule that day. My viewing on that night was extremely palpable since I went in with a lot of adrenaline that enhanced the experience, especially during the first half with the Rome car chase and the train fight. I felt a dip in momentum when the action moved to London, but overall the excitement had me convinced that it was a top five Bond film.

Now: With each viewing, I do not find renewed pleasure. As time goes on, more oddities stand out that reduce my opinion of the film. Currently I have it ranked just outside my basement as a top 20 Bond film. I think the biggest indictment against it is that it attempts to be a master of all and ends up a master of none. The action is almost certainly my favorite part of the film, along with some of the early dialogue exchanges. The tonality of the film shifts back and forth between an introverted character study and a playful and engaging experience that I find myself losing both feelings as they flip between the two.

Ultimately, Spectre is a film that is less than the sum of its parts. The best Bond films are confident in their direction and unapologetic in their delivery. Spectre is a film with a lot of exposition and suspense that never rises to a satisfying conclusion or cliffhanger.

Then > Now
    @Mansfield, I am intrigued to read your change of opinion on the film, as I recall you being a big advocate when it was released. I completely agree with your statement below:
    Mansfield wrote: »
    Ultimately, Spectre is a film that is less than the sum of its parts. The best Bond films are confident in their direction and unapologetic in their delivery. Spectre is a film with a lot of exposition and suspense that never rises to a satisfying conclusion or cliffhanger.

I feel the same way about the tonal variations and lack of direction in TWINE , but I recall that this is a film you hold in high regard. Can you see what I mean about that film also being full of tonal mismatches?
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,263
    @bondjames I can appreciate your viewpoint on TWINE being tonally inconsistent. It's a valid point against the film that prevents it from being an acclaimed standout (say in the way SF is). I have rose tinted glasses when it comes to TWINE; it was my favorite Bond film in my youth.

I suppose you're curious about how a negative characteristic of two films can only affect the opinion of the one badly. TWINE is less inconsistent overall. I view it more under the playful and engaging category than being a serious Bond film. A perfect example of this is when Electra asks Bond if he's ever lost a loved one and he pauses briefly before proceeding with details from his investigation. It mostly walks along the lines of serious in the relationship between M and Electra. TWINE has an energy throughout the entire film, it doesn't feel a moment too long.

I have a draft for a post including my thoughts on TWINE I may put in the Brosnan appreciation thread that has more specifics if I get a chance. Essentially, it's how TWINE embraces itself as a confident and fun Bond film that separate it from Spectre for me.
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    SPECTRE

It's crazy how little I can remember about my reaction when I first saw it, considering how it's only been a few years since its release. I don't think my opinion has changed too much, TBH - my feeling is that it reminds me of a lazy, Sunday afternoon Bond movie; a middle of the road Roger Moore effort that I still enjoy because it's got 007 in it.

I also remember wishing there was more Dave Bautista because he seemed really underused. Plus the CGI in the helicopter sequence was really disappointing. The genuinely amazing helicopter stunts were cut-and-pasted in front of CGI crowds, or spliced with footage of Bond fighting in front of a blue screen, lessening the thrill.

I think I like it less when I came out, and once it's no longer the newest Bond film I doubt I will watch it very often (I watch it all the time at present as it came with a free digital download for my phone). There's stuff I love love love about it (the SPECTRE MEETING! THE CRATER LAIR! THE TRAIN FIGHT! THE OPENING SHOT!) but there's a lot of filler too.

With this and (the superior) Skyfall the Bond series is inching towards being 'prestige' pictures when the majority of the films have been crowd pleasing popcorn flicks. It's a difficult balance to strike, but I'm hoping the next Bond film learns a little from Kingsman and the last few Mission: Impossible movies, which are very eager to please.
    Dont get this love for the Mission Impossible movies. Watched them all once, was moderately entertained...but have no desire to ever see any of them again! Same for Kingsman, apart from the freefall stunts and Colin Firth channelling his inner Michael Caine, I found it quite disappointing! Cant be bothered with the sequel this year! Glad Matthew Vaughn never got to helm Bond!
    Then - really felt let down (especially after SF and the great trailers), just felt disjointed

Now - worse. The whole piece of work does not stand up to scrutiny. Just very weak. A mess.
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Dont get this love for the Mission Impossible movies. Watched them all once, was moderately entertained...but have no desire to ever see any of them again! Same for Kingsman, apart from the freefall stunts and Colin Firth channelling his inner Michael Caine, I found it quite disappointing! Cant be bothered with the sequel this year! Glad Matthew Vaughn never got to helm Bond!

I think the modern Bond movies and the M:I movies form 2 parts of a whole: if I wasn't getting my over the top set pieces and and gadgets from these newer movie franchises I'd expect that I'd being enjoying the Craig movies less than I do now.

I didn't want to watch Kingsman AT ALL because I despised Kick Ass, but I was convinced to do so the other week and I was pleasantly surprised. Without the baggage that the Bond movies must contend with (and the fact a sequel was never guaranteed) I think more character development could be achieved and...
    the villain's plot partially succeeded - can you imagine a Bond movie where so many innocents were allowed to die in the climax?

M:I's protagonist is a pretty dull character, with seemingly no inner life beyond the mission, which is why I'd always prefer 007. However, both Rogue Nation and SPECTRE had very similar plots and I had a lot more fun with Ethan Hunt than I did with Bond this time around.
    @Mansfied, thanks for your reply to my question about TWINE. I can surely relate, as I have similarly rose tinted glasses when it comes to TMWTGG.

Yes, I agree with you that TWINE is more energetic and upbeat throughout its run time and it's a good point you make that the more serious elements revolve around the M/Electra and possibly also the Bond/Electra dynamic.

I may not like many (most?) things about it, but I can't deny that the film has a more consistently playful tone overall in comparison to the uneven last effort.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Mansfield wrote: »
    @bondjames I can appreciate your viewpoint on TWINE being tonally inconsistent. It's a valid point against the film that prevents it from being an acclaimed standout (say in the way SF is). I have rose tinted glasses when it comes to TWINE; it was my favorite Bond film in my youth.

Bless you, Dame Judi.