Is the Double-Take Pigeon the silliest thing in Moore's era?

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I think it would have been more questionable had he continued on with him onboard.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I think it would have been more questionable had he continued on with him onboard.

Please God no! If Yewtree ever investigated Rog I would be devastated.

But look at the evidence: big in the 70s and 80s, involved in children's charities, likes a cigar - the parallels with Savile are shocking!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm guessing you guys think Indy only kept shortround, for the same reasons ? :D
    I'm guessing you guys think Indy only kept shortround, for the same reasons ? :D

Oh no!

I do hope all those kids from the mines got back to their families at the end of the film!

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think they all ended up working for Nike. ;)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I think they all ended up working for Nike. ;)

Sadly, that's probably true.
  • I thought the rock falling on Jaws' head really ruined that moment as well.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Mary Goodnight is the Silliest thing in the Moore Era.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    The double-take pigeon isn't the worst, IMO. Moments where Bond is basically self-parodying himself (like the Tarzan yell) for absolutely no reason are probably the silliest things in Moore's era, along with moments that basically parody other established characters in the franchise (I'm looking at Blofeld at the beginning of FYEO, one of the worst PTS's despite the stuntwork).
  • You could also do a thread on which Q gag is the worst in the Moore era.
  • RC7RC7
    The double-take pigeon isn't the worst, IMO. Moments where Bond is basically self-parodying himself (like the Tarzan yell) for absolutely no reason are probably the silliest things in Moore's era, along with moments that basically parody other established characters in the franchise (I'm looking at Blofeld at the beginning of FYEO, one of the worst PTS's despite the stuntwork).

I'm glad someone else brought up the FYEO Blofeld. I've always treated that as a bit of bollocks, not an actual appearance, but with their thirst for £££ they released it within the so called Spectre steel book editions (lest we forget omitting DN) so now some are treating it as canon (as loose as that is). This to me was always a sort of quasi-Blofeld. A bizarre, typically EON thing to do. It doesn't ruin the sequence, as I still find the stunt work fantastic, but it would certainly be better if it was omitted.
    RC7 wrote: »

I'm glad someone else brought up the FYEO Blofeld. I've always treated that as a bit of bollocks, not an actual appearance, but with their thirst for £££ they released it within the so called Spectre steel book editions (lest we forget omitting DN) so now some are treating it as canon (as loose as that is). This to me was always a sort of quasi-Blofeld. A bizarre, typically EON thing to do. It doesn't ruin the sequence, as I still find the stunt work fantastic, but it would certainly be better if it was omitted.

If you don't treat it as canon then who is the guy in wheelchair with the cat? Beckton's best Blofeld impersonator or just a random nutter who models himself in Blofeld and has it in for Bond? Cack handed though it is surely it makes more sense if it is Blofeld than if it isn't?

I remember once some writing (I think it might even have been Graham Rye) that it would have been better if it was all a dream and Bond wakes up at the end as the pilot delivers him to Universal Exports. What we have isn't great but this would have been even more bollocks.

Agree entirely about the steelbooks though. How you can count FYEO as more a SPECTRE film than DN is laughable. It makes you wonder if the marketing cretins who oversee these things have ever even seen the films.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

If you don't treat it as canon then who is the guy in wheelchair with the cat? Beckton's best Blofeld impersonator or just a random nutter who models himself in Blofeld and has it in for Bond? Cack handed though it is surely it makes more sense if it is Blofeld than if it isn't?

I remember once some writing (I think it might even have been Graham Rye) that it would have been better if it was all a dream and Bond wakes up at the end as the pilot delivers him to Universal Exports. What we have isn't great but this would have been even more bollocks.

Agree entirely about the steelbooks though. How you can count FYEO as more a SPECTRE film than DN is laughable. It makes you wonder if the marketing cretins who oversee these things have ever even seen the films.

Ha ha. I don't know what to make of it if I'm honest. It's just f***ing weird. As a kid I always viewed it as one of those bat shit moments EON churn out from time to time.
    To be fair saying it was only a dream would be the only way to make sense of the delicatessen in stainless steel line.

To get back on topic somewhat doesn't that line have to be the most ridiculous moment of the series?
  • The inflating bad guy at the end of LALD was not the most effective gag in the world.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Something just came to mind as I was commenting on AVTAK on another thread. I think Bond baking quiche is perhaps one of the sillier things of the Moore era. More Jamie Oliver than James Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »
    Something just came to mind as I was commenting on AVTAK on another thread. I think Bond baking quiche is perhaps one of the sillier things of the Moore era. More Jamie Oliver than James Bond.

Except Bond doesn t spit when he talks.
    The silliest thing in the Moore era was that @Thunderfinger wasn't in any of the films. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    The silliest thing in the Moore era was that @Thunderfinger wasn't in any of the films. ;)

That is why I hate those films so vehemently.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

That is why I hate those films so vehemently.

Yes, now I can finally understand it! :D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    bondjames wrote: »
    People have to eat man! :))
  • GBFGBF
    Here is my top 10 worst silly moments in RM films:

1) The Gondola and pigeon double take (belong together)
    2) Jaws falling in love
    3) The Tarzan Yell (actually the whole jungle chase)
    4) The death of Dr. Kananga
    5) Awfull fight with the young girls in TMWTGG
    6) All seqequneces with Bibi
    7) Balloon scene with Bond and Q in Octopussy (the whole climax is too campy.
    8) California girls song in the PTS of AVTAK.
    9) Jaws several other slapstick moments in MR
    10) Sh. Pepper and the elephant scene in TMWTGG

Great silly scene:

Bond dressed up as a Gorilla checking the clock. SO damm funny.
  • GBFGBF
    Anthrax wrote: »
    Here are my picks, in no particular order:

The slide whistle in TMWTGG
    Clown disguise in OP
    Kananga's death in LALD
    Tarzan yell in OP
    Bond zooming in on a womans cleveage in Q's lab in OP
    The bed scene with Bond and May Day in AVTAK
    Jaws surviving everything that gets thrown at him in TSWLM and MR (I can buy him being kicked out of the train in the former but not the free fall during the PTS in the latter)

The double-taking pidgeon is already a silly moment in a silly scene. The slide whistle is how you ruin a scene.

Daniel Craig's Bond survived a similar fall from an extremely high bridge in the PTS of Skyfall. Nobody would survive the fall. Would anybody say this was a campy sequence?

• Nope, because the fall was at the end of a tough, gritty fight.

Moore's camp was comedy unto itself, in my opinion.
  • RC7RC7
    Nope, because the fall was at the end of a tough, gritty fight.

Moore's camp was comedy unto itself, in my opinion.

Physics once had a fight with both Tough and Gritty and he lost.
  • Tonally, a gag that defies physics is not the same as a deliberate gag.
  • GBFGBF
    Tonally, a gag that defies physics is not the same as a deliberate gag.

I understand the point. I just wonder what is more annoying to me. A gag that defies physics in an otherwise very serious Bond film or a campy joke that defies physics in a campy Bond film. IMO the first is more misplaced than the second.

The new Netflix series GLOW set in the 1980's slams the double take. Has it grown that iconic that people today recognize the reference. Also the opening of FYEO was suppose to introduce a new Bond but was left in when Moore came back.
  • DB5DB5
    Let's just pretend that the Roger Moore films never happened, it was all Pam's dream!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    GBF wrote: »
    Daniel Craig's Bond survived a similar fall from an extremely high bridge in the PTS of Skyfall. Nobody would survive the fall. Would anybody say this was a campy sequence?

Where Zorin failed, Bond prevailed.