The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    slyfox wrote:
    This is what it would have been like. Much better.

Interesting find, sir. Well done! I honestly think it would have worked a lot better.
    Crow's song is blown out of the water by KD and Arnold.
    Both are mediocre in my opinion. In fact I think Crow's song is a bit more interesting. It's just that her singing takes away from it especially in the chorus. She's not a belter the way Bassey is.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I dont dislike Crows efforts and compared to the garbage that followed (I mean DAD and QOS - not slagging Shirley Manson and co here as I dont mind that too) its up there with Goldfinger.

However Surrender has the far better Bond sound and is worthy of being the title track for the opening bars alone.

I'm sure there was a better version on Youtube of the opening titles with Surrender as the version posted above has the opening bars being drowned out by the afterburner when they should kick in as the glass breaks. Cant seem to find it now though.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 401
    I would have liked it if this was used. Also, "Surrender" sounds like utter crap.

Dr_Metz wrote:
    I would have liked it if this was used. Also, "Surrender" sounds like utter crap.

Surrender is not crap? This is the kind of tune from a past Bond film in the swinging 60's or 70's.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Surrender is not crap?
    Yes it is?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    This is the kind of tune from a past Bond film in the swinging 60's or 70's.
    That's a bad thing?

• edited February 2012 Posts: 940
    ^ I actually laughed out loud hearing that! It sounds like a soundtrack to one of the Leslie Nielsen spoofs.
    slyfox wrote:
    ^ I actually laughed out loud hearing that! It sounds like a soundtrack to one of the Leslie Nelson spoofs.
    How is it so goddamn terrible? I mean, most people on here have pretty bad musical tastes, but honestly. "Surrender" sounds like a bad, and I mean bad Bassey impression. Also, who is Leslie Nelson?

Funny how things go. Some blame Arnold for not sounding enough like Barry, yet when he does give us a Barry-ish effort, though far from perfect, it gets mawed down like thugs in a video game.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 940
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    slyfox wrote:
    ^ I actually laughed out loud hearing that! It sounds like a soundtrack to one of the Leslie Nelson spoofs.
    How is it so goddamn terrible? I mean, most people on here have pretty bad musical tastes, but honestly. "Surrender" sounds like a bad, and I mean bad Bassey impression. Also, who is Leslie Nelson?

Well I would rather have a track like Surrender which hints at reminders of the great Barry-Bassey era at the very least whilst still remaining contemporary, as opposed to a tune which even seems extremely dated for the late 90's. I think many Bond fans would have preferred Surrender over Crowe's track but I doubt Swan Lee's chances. Incidentally, I do like Lee's chorus, but I find the rest dull (especially from 2.13-2.42)

And judging from your bold lettering, you know who I was talking about, but are just trying to unnecessarily point out my typo which I altered shortly after my initial post.

Anyway, we seem to share the same love for TB at least. I suppose thats something. ;)
    slyfox wrote:
    I do like Lee's chorus, but I find the rest dull (especially from 2.13-2.42)
    I actually agree on this. That part just drags on.
    slyfox wrote:
    Anyway, we seem to share the same love for TB at least. I suppose thats something. ;)
    Yeah, I guess.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 032</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>J.W. Pepper is a false note in the Bond history.</b></font>
    Completely disagree. J.W. Pepper made a fine contribution to the series. If only he could have returned for Die Another Day we would have had the perfect Bond movie. A missed opportunity.
    I found J.W. Pepper quite amusing in LALD and when he popped up in TMWTGG he did make the same spectacle of himself as before, quite enjoyable.
    He did make an entertaining extra in two movies and is about as un-PC as it can be that is bonuspoints for me.
    So I disagree too.
    I thought he fit in to LALD well but you could argue there was no need for him to return in TMWTGG.
    Getafix wrote:
    Completely disagree. J.W. Pepper made a fine contribution to the series. If only he could have returned for Die Another Day we would have had the perfect Bond movie. A missed opportunity.

Post of the day! :P J.W. in DAD!!!

Perhaps he is due a comback, Skyfall maybe, could just see him and Craig in buddy movie!
    He always reminded me of Joe Don Baker and vice versa. Why not bring both of them back together for the 50th anniversary? Between them they can act as subtle 'references' to 5 of the preceeding movies. 5 birds with 2 stones.
  • I agree. He was somwhat bearable in LALD but should not have been in TMWTGG.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    In a perfect world Pepper would have a role in all 23 outings. Pepper is the best character in the franchise other than Bond himself !!
    I must admit the thought of a JW Pepper spin off is more appealing than a Jinx film!
    In a perfect world Pepper would have a role in all 23 outings. Pepper is the best character in the franchise other than Bond himself !!

Do I detect the slightest suggestion of sarcasm? Surely not!
    I'm pretty sure that was a serious comment from DaltonCraig.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Getafix wrote:

Do I detect the slightest suggestion of sarcasm? Surely not!

I am very serious - Pepper is a legend !!

Sheriff Pepper was great in both LALD and TMWTGG but I can't imagine him in another outing... certainly not in FRWL, OHMSS, CR... perhaps in OP!
    0013 wrote:
    Sheriff Pepper was great in both LALD and TMWTGG but I can't imagine him in another outing... certainly not in FRWL, OHMSS, CR... perhaps in OP!

Pepper would be great in DAD or TWINE
    I quite enjoyed his appearances in both films! Always makes me laugh when i see him! Let alone when he opens his mouth! Classic charactor from the Moore era! :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Pepper was absolutely dreadful, and should never have existed, let alone be brought back for a second appearance. Typical of the Moore era, tries to be funny, fails badly.

Thesis #32: Agree
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I agree with the thesis. He is another example of how DAF took Bond in a grating direction of forced humor. While his character made sense in Louisiana and not at all in Bangkok, he was equally annoying in both venues.