A View to A Kill - Underrated?

Comments

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited April 2017 Posts: 2,721
    For me in the Bond series if something is 'underrated' then it has to be in comparison to a certain level of film. So if Im questioning whether AVTAK is underrated I'd have to make arguments against films I consider it's equal to or better than. By this criteria I can't in good conscience think that it beats anything in the 60s, 80s or any Craig era - so that leaves 70s or 90s and that boils down to DAF, MWTGG, DAD, TWINE and TND. So if it's keeping the pace with only five other bond films then I'd suggest it isn't underrated.
    I'm a bit tired of the terms underrated and overrated. Still if there are Bond films that could be called underrated I guess AVTAK is on of them as it usually doesn't show in the upper half of rankings.

I recently have watched A VIEW TO A KILL with 5 20/21 year old impressive young soldiers that have never seen Bond films before as they thought they are for "old people" :anguished:

We had watched DAF-TSWLM-MR-YOLT before and AVTAK was their fifth Bond.

The guys were in stitches a lot of time, like they were with DAF. The comedy element in AVTAK is just great and MayDay and Zorin are wonderfully overacted and camp.

It's easy to re-watch and the last 60 or so minutes, once the film takes place at the city hall, at the mines and then the bridge, are really great!

Out of curiosity, what made you select those Bond films when they have a lot of the same themes when there are more representative films in the series to introduce them to? But then again whatever brings new fans in is always welcome as they can discover those.

Which part of the comedy element is great? The California Girls interruption in the PT, the bum with the bottle watching Bond escape City Hall, the fire truck chase knocking the tops off campers, the goofy police chief, the frustrated Parisian taxi driver? Part of the numerous problems with AVTAK is the goofy comedy and a lot of the violence don't balance each other at all.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I've never been a big fan of AVTAK, although I'm a huge fan of Moore as Bond. This is by far his weakest and least memorable effort, and I truly wish he hadn't done it, but rather had left after OP on an 'All Time High'.

Still, as others have noted, there is a lot to like. May Day is the first physically intimidating female henchwoman in the series and she makes her mark, as only Grace Jones can. Barry's score is sublime and Duran Duran's title song is one for the ages. Walken is very memorable as the unhinged lunatic genius Zorin. Unlike some, I don't mind Roberts as Stacy & think she plays the part she was given credibly, unlike some other jokers (Dr. Jones for example). The supporting characters are interesting, most notably Macnee as Tibbett, Willoughby Gray as Dr. Mortner, Patrick Bachau as Scarpine, the lovely Alison Doody as Jenny Flex (I wish she had got it on with old Rog, and it's a damn shame she was never a main Bond girl in her prime), and Fiona Fullerton as Pola Ivanova. David Yip as Chuck Lee must rank as one of the most forgettable characters in a Bond film though.

The production quality is all over the map in this film. Some sequences are classy and Bondian (particularly in Paris & at Zorin's estate), while others are cheap and tv like (nearly everything in San Fran). The fire truck sequence is a complete and utter disgrace, as others have said. Truly shameful.

Overall it's a subpar entry in my view, and lacking a sense of purpose and conviction. It's almost like they churned this one out because they could.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,020
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I'm a bit tired of the terms underrated and overrated. Still if there are Bond films that could be called underrated I guess AVTAK is on of them as it usually doesn't show in the upper half of rankings.

I recently have watched A VIEW TO A KILL with 5 20/21 year old impressive young soldiers that have never seen Bond films before as they thought they are for "old people" :anguished:

We had watched DAF-TSWLM-MR-YOLT before and AVTAK was their fifth Bond.

The guys were in stitches a lot of time, like they were with DAF. The comedy element in AVTAK is just great and MayDay and Zorin are wonderfully overacted and camp.

It's easy to re-watch and the last 60 or so minutes, once the film takes place at the city hall, at the mines and then the bridge, are really great!

Out of curiosity, what made you select those Bond films when they have a lot of the same themes when there are more representative films in the series to introduce them to? But then again whatever brings new fans in is always welcome as they can discover those.

Which part of the comedy element is great? The California Girls interruption in the PT, the bum with the bottle watching Bond escape City Hall, the fire truck chase knocking the tops off campers, the goofy police chief, the frustrated Parisian taxi driver? Part of the numerous problems with AVTAK is the goofy comedy and a lot of the violence don't balance each other at all.

I know it seems an unlikely choice to introduce Bond to new viewers with a film like DAF and then continue with films like MR, YOLT or AVTAK.

To watch a Bond movie with the para-scout recruits was totally spontaneous and the reason I chose DAF was that I wanted them to have fun, laugh and unwind after the very demanding training they had that day. And I didn't plan or expect it to result in a Bondathon.

I was quite surprised how successful DAF was with them. And they wanted to see another one. That's why I chose TSWLM which seemed a good choice to introduce newbies to Bond.
    I realised then, that they love the comedic elements in Bond very much and they actually asked me if TSWLM has a sequel as they loved Moore totally.
    So MR really was the logical choice as it indeed feels like a direct sequel of sorts to Spy.

After that I gave the whole matter a lot more thought because I knew we would watch at least another half dozen or so Bond films.
    Still, I wanted to keep the theme of "fun and camp" alive, hence my further choices.

AVTAK was a huge success with them. As I stated in another thread, now they think Bond is a comedy-action series :lol:
    Well...almost, since then I watched Thunderball, Octopussy and Goldfinger with them.

I'm quite glad I did it the way I did so far.

Next will be OHMSS and FYEO back to back when we have the time for it.

I'm amazed on how successful the films are with those young guys. And they have no idea about the great things that will come their way with the arguably best films yet to come.

By the way, they are quite torn about who they prefer, Moore or Connery. Since TB I think they tend to Connery, but it's not that clear.

As for your question about which comedy element is great in AVTAK. For me that's Patrick Macnee and Roger Moore's screen chemistry. Their whole interaction is just great and hilariously funny.
    Zorin also has quite a comedic quality, he is so over the top and almost camp I'd say. MayDay is also quite like a character out of a comic book.
    Overall, Moore's comedic talent may never have been used better than in AVTAK.
    The PTS is comedy gold in my opinion. Personally I never had a problem with the Beach Boys and I can tell you, the recruits were in stitches when that song was played to James Bond snowboarding!
    As mentioned: "4. Bond getting in bed with Mayday is bad enough: but it also includes a terrible edit, in which two scenes are put together...and not too well"

Grace Jones starts to walk towards the bed and then just appears getting into the sheets, another sloppy bit of editing.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    As mentioned: "4. Bond getting in bed with Mayday is bad enough: but it also includes a terrible edit, in which two scenes are put together...and not too well"

Grace Jones starts to walk towards the bed and then just appears getting into the sheets, another sloppy bit of editing.

I've always noticed that, too, figured it was edited to hide any sort of nudity as she crawls into bed.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I've always noticed that, too, figured it was edited to hide any sort of nudity as she crawls into bed.

Mayday's penis?
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Harsh

Grace Jones has a kid she gave birth to so pretty sure that's not possible
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2017 Posts: 17,804
    Getafix wrote: »
    Harsh

Grace Jones has a kid she gave birth to so pretty sure that's not possible

Mixing it up with the black dildo no doubt!

^ A sentence I never thought I'd type!
    Roger's reaction certainly suggested something unexpected.
    bondjames wrote: »

That did actually happen!
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I didn't know that before today! Just looked it up online. Truly frightening stuff. Poor old Rog. At least he got to tuck Stacy in bed after baking her a quiche. Makes one wonder what Tanya brought to the shower scene (if it wasn't soap).

I didn't know that before today! Just looked it up online. Truly frightening stuff. Poor old Rog. At least he got to tuck Stacy in bed after baking her a quiche. Makes one wonder what Tanya brought to the shower scene (if it wasn't soap).

Just her na na.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The disrespect for Grace Jones in here is troubling.

She is an icon and especially on the continent she was highly popular from circa 1982 to 1987.

One of the most ingenious pop songs ever and one of the truly most amazing so 80's video clips.

You shameless people, watch it.

Lovejoy narrates...
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited April 2017 Posts: 6,786
    The disrespect for Grace Jones in here is troubling.

She is an icon and especially on the continent she was highly popular from circa 1982 to 1987.

One of the most ingenious pop songs ever and one of the truly most amazing so 80's video clips.

You shameless people, watch it.

I agree, she made some great music in those days.

However, I would also agree that the 'love scene' with Bond equals the worst one-night stands :smiley:
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I didn't know that before today! Just looked it up online. Truly frightening stuff. Poor old Rog. At least he got to tuck Stacy in bed after baking her a quiche.

His impotence explained.
    Best Bond: Sir Roger Moore
    Best Bond Villain: Max Zorin
    Best Bond Girl: Stacey Sutton
    Best Bond Score: John Barry
    Best Bond Song: Duran Duran
    Best Bond Movie: AVTAK
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Robertson wrote: »
    Best Bond: Sir Roger Moore
    Best Bond Villain: Max Zorin
    Best Bond Girl: Stacey Sutton
    Best Bond Score: John Barry
    Best Bond Song: Duran Duran
    Best Bond Movie: AVTAK

It's rare I see this level of love for AVTAK. Keep it coming! It doesn't rank terribly high for me, but damn, if it isn't one of my most rewatched. Always a blast.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Grace Jones is definitley one of the highlights of AVTAK. Great casting. She along with Walken lift the film above what might otherwise have been a forgettable final (re)entry for Rog.
    Walken's alright but not as good as Louis Jourdan.

Grace Jones is certainly a memorable presence but her acting is pretty bad.
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Louis who? Walken is a screen legend.

There's been plenty of bad acting over the years. Her character is an enjoyable one.
    She gets a great death scene. That and her "drop out" moment are probably her two best scenes in the film.

There's been plenty of bad acting over the years. Her character is an enjoyable one.

Brilliant character. Heartbroken, she becomes the story's hero. Screenwriting par exellence.
    Robertson wrote: »

Brilliant character. Heartbroken, she becomes the story's hero. Screenwriting par exellence.

Well let's not get carried away, but it is quite a touching scene where you see her make the decision to drive the bomb into the mine.

AVTAK is a slightly rickety entry in the series, but there's loads to enjoy as well, and May Day is definitely one of the highlights.
    I always thought it was a mistake for Mayday to turn good at the end. They should have echoed Oddjob, who remained loyal to Goldfinger and tried to stop Bond diffusing the bomb. It would have added extra suspense too if Mayday tried to stop Bond getting the bomb out.
    I thought it was a nice touch. Although I suppose they'd done it before with Jaws.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Moore taking the lead and instructing Mayday to lower the winch and "take her up" is one of his best scenes in the film.

Great music in the background too.

I have to admit watching AVTAK again the other night I was kind of bored during a lot of it. It just feels rather sleepy and made with relatively little energy or enthusiasm. FYEO and OP are MUCH better.

I can't really forgive the awful fire engine sequence either.