The moment you loved Bond

2»

Comments

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Bet it was the Odeon, @BondJasonBond006! I know it well, having grown up near Bournemouth; pretty sure I saw TND there with a Bond-loving pal. Sadly my dad didn't think to take me in 1987, though I might not have been quite ready for the experience.

My own Bond moment came the first time I read one of the books, aged 13 or 14. It was Dr No in the film tie-in cover, and I got it for the princely sum of 10p from the charity book basket at the Happy Shopper up the road from my parents' house.

As a teenage boarding-school inmate, I fell in love instantly with this glamorous, retro world, its foreign travel and its amazing food (boarding-school makes you very interested in decent food). And, sure, fell a bit in love with Bond while I was at it.

I owned that copy until last year, when I finally replaced it with one that wasn't falling to pieces in my hands. I still feel slightly like a traitor for getting rid.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    This one is hard for me to say, as it's all rather a blur.

Goldfinger was the first time I sat down and felt compelled to watch Bond seriously, but I didn't feel love then. During the summer after I committed myself to pursuing Bond I got all the Connery films on DVD, deciding those were the ones to see before all the rest. Naturally, I had to start with Dr. No.

While I was watching this alluring British man race around an island taking out his foes-both male and female-with strategy, raw physicality and daring, I imagine that's the moment it clicked for me. A feeling of, Where has this been all my life? must've arisen. That started it all, and I've never looked back.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @Agent_99 sure it was the Odeon!
    I have grown up in Southbourne partly, first few years, and then my complete teenage years again with my British father Jack.
    I wonder if we have been at the Odeon at the same film you and I :smiley: wouldn't that be cool.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I wonder if we have been at the Odeon at the same film you and I :smiley: wouldn't that be cool.

We may never know for sure - but let's assume that's what happened :)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Relatively simple question this - my first Bond cinema experience, The World Is Not Enough. Specifically the elevator scene in the Kazakhstani bunker. "Bond..." pause for the Bond theme as Bond and Christmas race to the top - "James Bond."

I was hooked.

Granted, in retrospect, it is very cheesy. But as a young nipper, it was epic.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I loved that moment too.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Ah, some other peeps who love it too. Neat.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I just saw that as a really daft and awkward scene.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I just saw that as a really daft and awkward scene.

I think it's Pierce's delivery that kills that one, unfortunately. His strange shouting just comes off badly. Sean or Roger would've killed in a moment like that, as they'd have kept their delivery calm and in command without yelling the line to high heaven in such an awkward fashion. In Pierce's defense, Tim and Dan would've been too earnest to pull it off in much the same way. Only the lovable rogues of Sean and Roger could get away with anything remotely similar.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    When I first saw Tomorrow Never Dies in 1997 by chance and seeing how cool and suave Brosnan was playing Bond..... It was then that I was curious about the Bond franchise. The rest is history :smile: Just realised its been 20 yrs since I became a Bond fan!
  • pking_3pking_3 Punting under the Bridge of Sighs
    When Bond was shoved out of a plane without a parachute...and adapted rather than died.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I honestly can't remember when I got into Bond. I have been an obsessed fan since my earliest memories. I should ask my parents for clarification.

The films that made a major impression on me as a kid were LALD & TMWTGG. The latter may very well have been the first Bond film I saw, if memory serves me correctly. Moore was the coolest guy I'd seen on tv, I loved the score, the holiday like locations & the colourful villains.

I remember my parents recommending that I watch Connery (who they believed was definitive - both thought Moore was more suited to the Saint). The first Connery film I remember watching with them was FRWL, and I disliked it immensely. Then they showed me YOLT and I really enjoyed it, but still wasn't too keen on Sean (too rough & not quite cool enough, I remember thinking).

I saw all the other films after that, and TSWLM became my favourite. It held the top spot until about 15 years ago, when FRWL, TB & eventually CR went ahead of it in my rankings.
    pking_3 wrote: »
    When Bond was shoved out of a plane without a parachute...and adapted rather than died.

A fitting metaphor for life.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    edited April 2017 Posts: 127
    Not only the defining moment for me in the Bond franchise but in my life was this:

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS 1987 at a cinema in Bournemouth, UK, with my dad.

I only had celebrated my 13th Birthday when I saw a couple of films that really shook my world.
    Lethal Weapon, Dirty Dancing, yes really :) and The Living Daylights.

After the PTS of TLD I knew this was my calling. I wanted to be this awesome soldier/spy in her Majesty's Secret Service.
    Told this before but here it is again. After the film I told my dad that I will join the army and become a para-scouting superspy like Bond and land on yachts and have drinks with the lady and phone with my superior to tell him I'd be a bit late.

Two years later after the PTS of LTK, not only was Timothy Dalton my hero forever, but it was crystal clear to me I'd be a supersoldier/spy parachuting to weddings and stuff :)
    This. I was much younger than 13, but my father also took me to see TLD in the theater. It was my first experience with Bond and I've been hooked ever since.

One of the most significant mental images I still have from my childhood movie-watching experience is Bond and Necros desperately grabing onto the net as they slid outside the plane. For whatever reason I vividly remember seeing that scene in the theater.
    Not so strange. That is a great and tense scene, classic Bond.