The moment you loved Bond

edited May 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 6,432
You may have watched Bond as a child or stumbled upon one of the movies later on. What was the defining moment when you realised how awesome Bond is. Film and scene when you thought god this is good. My apologies if there is a similar topic.

Comments

Remember watching Live and let die for the first time my earliest memory of watching a Bond film, the soundtrack initially blew me away. The scene with Roger Moore on the small island surrounded by Crocodiles just Moores reaction and the music ramped up to the max, I was hooked.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,622
    The DAF pre-credit opener. My 12 year old self was absolutely in awe of Blofeld's underground lair, and the super smooth danger agent that so thoroughly dismantled the whole operation. Toss in the spooky cat meow transitioning to the haunting Bassey title track and Binder silhouettes, and this newly hatched Bond nut was bouncing in his seat.
    I knew then that this was going to be the best movie ever, and I wasn't wrong. DAF is to this day, still my all time favourite film period.
    Still, when watching DAF, I rarely can watch the whole movie without replaying the opening teaser a couple of times.
    "Making mudpies 007?"
    "Welcome to hell, Blofeld!" cue the cat screetch.
    Amazing.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    When I first heard this at 6 years old. :)
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 6,432
    @timmer Pure escapism Bond films of that era, i think Bond films transcend because they have been around for such a long time, we watch one of the films and it resonantes because remember how we and the world were at that time.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,622
    @ timmer Pure escapism Bond films of that era, i think Bond films transcend because they have been around for such a long time, we watch one of the films and it resonantes because remember how we and the world were at that time.
    That's always been the appeal of Bond to me, the escapist camp fantasy, but mixed with "real' danger and suspense. The Connery and Laz films were the perfect blend and some of Moore's more convincing efforts too, especially his first two efforts with Guy Hamilton.
    Moore however didn't quite IMO have the ability to convincingly ground the danger element the way Connery and Laz could.
    I get a little anxious though when Bond gets too silly at the expense of danger (most grevious example, I think being the Bond/Anya/Jaws hijinks at the pyramids) or too serious at the expense of the potent fantasy/danger mix.

Think when Bond is amused by the world that surrounds him they have hit the mark though when that what surrounds him becomes farcical it falls flat, DAD Comes to mind. lol
    As far as the movies are concerned, it would have to be the moment Bond and Trevelyan enter the chemical facility's main room in the GoldenEye pre-title sequence, followed by Colonel Ourumov and his soldiers blasting away with machine gun fire!
    00Beast wrote:
    As far as the movies are concerned, it would have to be the moment Bond and Trevelyan enter the chemical facility's main room in the GoldenEye pre-title sequence, followed by Colonel Ourumov and his soldiers blasting away with machine gun fire!

After a 6 year hiatus, remember watching that in the cinema and felt Bond was back. Remember the promotional trailers for that movie. 'you know the rest' great tag line.
    00Beast wrote:

After a 6 year hiatus, remember watching that in the cinema and felt Bond was back. Remember the promotional trailers for that movie. 'you know the rest' great tag line.

I wish I'd been around then to see that!
    00Beast wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

I wish I'd been around then to see that!

At the time was relief of sorts though Brosnan era started of well. Think GE is his best and a good bond movie, though prior to that thought the series was dead indefinitely. So at the time the hype for bond returning was big.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I must say that my love for Bond was also sparked by Diamonds Are Forever. It may not be my favourite today, but I love the humour (perhaps the best in the series), villains and music.
    When Bond sprinted past a soldier and jumped onto the back of a moving land rover (TLD was the first film I saw).
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    My moment came not from a film, but from a game. I played GoldenEye 007 on the Nintendo 64, and before the end of the first level, I wanted to see these Bond movies my brothers and father were telling me about. My first film was Live and Let Die, shortly after that.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 7,500
    When Bond sprinted past a soldier and jumped onto the back of a moving land rover (TLD was the first film I saw).

Lucky you!

TWINE was mye first. I was about six years old on a transatlantic flight to New York, when it suddenly popped up on the screen. I didn't understand a word of English back then, and had no idea what the plot was all about... which probably worked to my advantage regarding that specific film! :) I think what initially grasped my attention was the Bond Theme, which immediately struck me as the coolest and most epic film music I had ever heard! And coupled with some of the good scenes from the PTS; Brosnan sliding down from the building in Bilbao, the still entertaining boat chase... I found myself almost completely hooked. Back then my taste in movies were obviously far less mature and sophisticated than it is today, and as I have matured TWINE has become one of my very least favored films in the series. Bond has no doubt given me far better thrills later on through the years. But it's weird, as although I find myself shuddering its boringness and almost making fun of it today, I'm still ocationally struck by a strange sense of nostalgy whenever I rewatch it...
    When the Lotus Esprit metamorphosised into a subamarine, I knew as a six year old that I would be hooked for life.
    When the Lotus Esprit metamorphosised into a subamarine, I knew as a six year old that I would be hooked for life.

Same here. It was the ski sequence in The Spy Who Loved Me. Had me hooked

Seeing Live and Let Die and TMWTGG the next year sealed it for me.

No idea tbh, he was just hyped character, and there were posters everywhere, and people were talking about him and I said hey he look badass. I saw couple movies and I loved it.

The moment that I most liked a 007 movie (not Bond himself but a movie) is probably the DB5 in Skyfall. It was huge "Holly shit this is happening" moment, but unfortunately not that many people shared my enthusiasm in the cinema.
    First recollection of Bond was seeing GF on the telly ca. 1971-74, when I was a li'l spark. I remember being completely horrified when seeing Jill lying on the bed covered in gold paint. That image forever stuck with me.

But truthfully, I didn't become a full-blown Bondhead until November of 2004, when some TV network (probably Spike or TNT) did a Thanksgiving Bondathon. During that Bondathon, for some reason, I became thoroughly fascinated with the Bond series and duly signed onto this site at around noon on November 27, 2004. For Christmas of 2005 the Khantessa bought me all of the Fleming novels and my transformation was complete.
    Probably when the pretitles for Goldfinger ended with the words "Shocking. Positively shocking" and the maintitles began.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    First exposure to Bond was a LALD/TMWTGG double feature in early 1977.
    Roger Moore was so cool, how he burned the snake in his bathroom and escaped from the alligator island. So smooth!
    The amazing title track and skull visuals, and Baron Samedi sitting on the train at the end to laugh the audience in the face. Spooky!
    And then the exotic flair of TMWTGG, the flying car, the high-tech island lair. It does not take much more to get a boy's fantasy going.
    And if that was not enough, a pre-view of the underwater Lotus later that summer in a glossy magazine finally hooked me. Never had I so eagerly anticipated a film like TSWLM.
    When he zipped himself up and left me on the dining table, shaken and stirred left, right and centre.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Listening to Diamonds Are Forever by Shirley Bassey at the age of 5.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    timmer wrote:
    The DAF pre-credit opener. My 12 year old self was absolutely in awe of Blofeld's underground lair, and the super smooth danger agent that so thoroughly dismantled the whole operation. Toss in the spooky cat meow transitioning to the haunting Bassey title track and Binder silhouettes, and this newly hatched Bond nut was bouncing in his seat.
    And if THAT wasn't enough, the mountaineering about the Whyte House hammered in the fact BIG TIME!
    Same here, timmer, except I was one year younger.
    Newcomers, what was the defining moment for you?
    Great to hear from you, and welcome to the forum.
    I had already read the whole Fleming series before by accident wandered into a cinema showing "Moonraker" While I love the books and still do. I fell for the movie series with this awesome outing with Roger Moore. My surprise was even larger when I discovered that there was an other awesome actor when I watched a double bill DN/FRWL. Those three have always rated fairly high by me in my personal list of favorite 007 outings.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited April 2017 Posts: 3,985
    Funny enough I wasn't mad about the Bond films growing up. I'd seen LALD when I was six but it didn't leave a big impression on me. I think I saw TB next on TV and just remember finding it a huge bore.

It was after seeing a documentary on TV in the very early 80's that I got interested. I got the 'James Bond Greatest Hits' album after watching it and loved the music!

It was seeing Octopussy at the cinema that really got me going and I gradually caught up with films I'd missed.

Reading the books really opened my eyes to how good Fleming was and I have been heavily into Bondage ever since!
    I was born a Bond fan as YOLT was filming. My parents went to the Connerys when they came out and my uncle had the trading cards and all the novels. We went to each film and many of the rerelease double features in the '70s.

While I liked Bond along with Planet of the Apes and Batman and comics growing up, it wasn't until I saw MR in the summer of '79 that I began to love Bond. Something about the escapism and gadgetry along with space - Star Wars and Close Encounters were the rage then - that clinched it and it made me into the hardcore fan I am today.

Now here I am with countless pieces of memorabilia, books and magazines, DVDs and Blu-rays and still can't get enough. As I tell people, there are a lot worse ways to spend my time and money.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I was born a Bond fan as YOLT was filming. My parents went to the Connerys when they came out and my uncle had the trading cards and all the novels. We went to each film and many of the rerelease double features in the '70s.

While I liked Bond along with Planet of the Apes and Batman and comics growing up, it wasn't until I saw MR in the summer of '79 that I began to love Bond. Something about the escapism and gadgetry along with space - Star Wars and Close Encounters were the rage then - that clinched it and it made me into the hardcore fan I am today.

Now here I am with countless pieces of memorabilia, books and magazines, DVDs and Blu-rays and still can't get enough. As I tell people, there are a lot worse ways to spend my time and money.

Excellent post! For me, although I had seen MR and TSWLM countless times, it wasn't until an ABC airing of DR NO summer of '83 that Bond truly clicked for me. Then my folks took me to see OP, followed by NSNA and with the other Bonds airing on ABC I quickly became the Bond fan I am now.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,020
    Not only the defining moment for me in the Bond franchise but in my life was this:

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS 1987 at a cinema in Bournemouth, UK, with my dad.

I only had celebrated my 13th Birthday when I saw a couple of films that really shook my world.
    Lethal Weapon, Dirty Dancing, yes really :) and The Living Daylights.

After the PTS of TLD I knew this was my calling. I wanted to be this awesome soldier/spy in her Majesty's Secret Service.
    Told this before but here it is again. After the film I told my dad that I will join the army and become a para-scouting superspy like Bond and land on yachts and have drinks with the lady and phone with my superior to tell him I'd be a bit late.

Two years later after the PTS of LTK, not only was Timothy Dalton my hero forever, but it was crystal clear to me I'd be a supersoldier/spy parachuting to weddings and stuff :)