In time, will SP be more or less appreciated?

Comments

• QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    @jetsetwilly, you mistake my words. I don't mean LTK's climax, I mean it's ending. The meek, inconsequential one where Bond never faces M for what he's done, Felix is downright giddy after the murder and rape of his wife, and Pam and Lupe are further diluted as schoolgirls contending for Bond's heart in the most sophomoric of ways. It's all too much in its artificialness, and with an improved ending the film would improve immeasurably.

QoS doesn't show us a superhuman Bond, either. We see him in every major scene of action (car chase, Siena chase, Slate fight, dogfight/free fall, hotel raid, etc) take brutal amounts of damage. In each scene the cuts of the previous scrap at caked over by all the fresh gashes, with sweat ever trickling from every bit of cracked skin were the protective layer has been peeled back by punches, kicks, stabs, bludgeoning and burns. It's his willpower alone that keeps him going.

LTK's finale shows a battle worn Bond well, but in comparison to QoS where he's covered in blood, sweat and dirt for over half of it, it doesn't compare. LTK also wasn't the first movie to show a beat up or bruising Bond, as the Connery era had gone there before.

The token ending on LTK doesn't bother me at all, because the rest of the film is so perfect. I can even live with the winking fish.... ;)

The action scenes in QoS show Bond dirty and torn, yet we never see Craig physically look hurt at any moment, not like we did in CR. But my biggest gripe is the sinkhole freefall, where Bond is right as rain 2 seconds later. This for me brought the film back into Brosnan territory.

As for Connery covered in blood - I don't recall this in any Bond film. He looked tattered and a bit dirty in Dr. No during the tunnel scenes, but that was it.

I see hurt in Dan in QoS, but even if he didn't show it the argument doesn't really hold up for Dalton in LTK either. Bond is torn to shreds in the finale and is right as rain days after at the party as Sanchez's, nary a scratch on him. At the very least you can see the scars Dan's Bond carries with him. And Dan's Bond is also by and far the strongest and most durable of the Bonds, so there's also that. He's not going to fall to pain like Dalton's would, for example, who wasn't a great fighter or accompanied with a high pain tolerance.

As for Sean, he's got busted over bleeding knuckles in DN, get all kinds of beat in FRWL and in TB there's a minor moment where he bleeds from the mouth. Young didn't want to go overboard with blood, but he did like to show Bond taking a bit of a beating while being affected by the danger he was facing. Outside of blood, Young's Bond always showed wear and tear on his suits as well, instead of some films that simply have Bond swap suits when one gets ruined.
    Don't forget Bonds's blood trail after getting shot in the leg in TB.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @jetsetwilly, you mistake my words. I don't mean LTK's climax, I mean it's ending. The meek, inconsequential one where Bond never faces M for what he's done, Felix is downright giddy after the murder and rape of his wife, and Pam and Lupe are further diluted as schoolgirls contending for Bond's heart in the most sophomoric of ways. It's all too much in its artificialness, and with an improved ending the film would improve immeasurably.

QoS doesn't show us a superhuman Bond, either. We see him in every major scene of action (car chase, Siena chase, Slate fight, dogfight/free fall, hotel raid, etc) take brutal amounts of damage. In each scene the cuts of the previous scrap at caked over by all the fresh gashes, with sweat ever trickling from every bit of cracked skin were the protective layer has been peeled back by punches, kicks, stabs, bludgeoning and burns. It's his willpower alone that keeps him going.

LTK's finale shows a battle worn Bond well, but in comparison to QoS where he's covered in blood, sweat and dirt for over half of it, it doesn't compare. LTK also wasn't the first movie to show a beat up or bruising Bond, as the Connery era had gone there before.

The token ending on LTK doesn't bother me at all, because the rest of the film is so perfect. I can even live with the winking fish.... ;)

The action scenes in QoS show Bond dirty and torn, yet we never see Craig physically look hurt at any moment, not like we did in CR. But my biggest gripe is the sinkhole freefall, where Bond is right as rain 2 seconds later. This for me brought the film back into Brosnan territory.

As for Connery covered in blood - I don't recall this in any Bond film. He looked tattered and a bit dirty in Dr. No during the tunnel scenes, but that was it.

I see hurt in Dan in QoS, but even if he didn't show it the argument doesn't really hold up for Dalton in LTK either. Bond is torn to shreds in the finale and is right as rain days after at the party as Sanchez's, nary a scratch on him. At the very least you can see the scars Dan's Bond carries with him. And Dan's Bond is also by and far the strongest and most durable of the Bonds, so there's also that. He's not going to fall to pain like Dalton's would, for example, who wasn't a great fighter or accompanied with a high pain tolerance.

As for Sean, he's got busted over bleeding knuckles in DN, get all kinds of beat in FRWL and in TB there's a minor moment where he bleeds from the mouth. Young didn't want to go overboard with blood, but he did like to show Bond taking a bit of a beating while being affected by the danger he was facing. Outside of blood, Young's Bond always showed wear and tear on his suits as well, instead of some films that simply have Bond swap suits when one gets ruined.

Christ, how could I forget. In my defense, I've just gotten up and am a bit groggy.

Christ, how could I forget. In my defense, I've just gotten up and am a bit groggy.
    One of my favorite scenes in the movie. Love the tension and music.

:D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

One of my favorite scenes in the movie. Love the tension and music.

:D

It's a franchise high for me. One of the few moments where the old films trick you into thinking Bond could really die, much like the train section of FRWL. Young had a brilliant way of making us feel Bond's danger, and even though you knew Sean's Bond was the best of the best, you feel the fear with him. Absolutely classic.
    Its the fear and near panic on ConneryBond's face as he tries to get away and heads for the public toilets that I think is brilliant as well..you can feel his fear.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Yep! Especially when he bumps into a pedestrian en route to that restaurant.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Exactly...TB is awesome for me ,sitting happily at #5 in my rankings at the moment (but maybe I should have said that in the TB Apprec Thread before I derail this one he he ).
    Definitely in my Top 5, as well.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Me too 5th.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The Junkanoo sequence in TB is outstanding, but somewhat spoiled for me on my most recent viewing by the wound switching legs on Connery as he runs. I found it a bit distracting last time out, but I'm nitpicking. Overall, it's a great sequence in an outstanding Bond film (my firm #2).
    The moment that Bond flirts up that random woman to get himself near the dance floor feels so real to me, like the cameras just randomly caught Sean in a quiet moment. You can see him living in Bond's skin as his fearful face switches to a charming one to pick her up, then back to fear and paranoia again once he and the woman are dancing. Then, when he sees Fiona, there's that mix of fear and contempt roughly blended.

This is why he's the best.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    That scene wipes the floor with anything in LTK.

Dalton is no Connery.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The moment that Bond flirts up that random woman to get himself near the dance floor feels so real to me, like the cameras just randomly caught Sean in a quiet moment. You can see him living in Bond's skin as his fearful face switches to a charming one to pick her up, then back to fear and paranoia again once he and the woman are dancing. Then, when he sees Fiona, there's that mix of fear and contempt roughly blended.

This is why he's the best.

"Strange as it may seem I've grown accustomed to your face".

The man's a true legend.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Great to see so much love for the (in my eyes) best of them all. Indeed, Sean does wonders here, making it real in an outrageous setting. And of course the best Bond girl, and best Villainess ever....
    I think we need to jump to the Appreciation Thread chaps or will get smacked wrists in here.
    I've already made a comment over there,so come on in,fellow TB lovers !!

The end scene in LTK is the token gesture, pretty much like the last chapter in many of the Fleming novels, which just wraps everything up on a positive note. We also don't know how many days have passed between the truck scene and the party. I don't find Dalton being ok then to be on the same level as the dreaded freefall sinkhole scene in QoS, where Craig literally is right as rain 2 seconds later.

Dalton looks very wounded at the end of the truck scene in LTK, I even like the weary sigh he does.

This really is the first time we have seen Bond looking in this state, far more than we ever saw Connery looking like this. In FRWL I don't recall one drop of blood on Bond - not that I am complaining because it is a brilliant film too, as is the train fight scene.

I'm not knocking Connery either, because I love him as Bond. My only real point is that Dalton in LTK was the first proper bloodied and battered Bond, and which is why it is one of my favourite films.

We wouldn't see Bond like this again until CR.
    Connery did have blood on the back of his left hand during the fistfight with Grant.
    Shardlake wrote: »

Dalton is no Connery.
    Give me a break. LTK wipes the floor with TB. And no, Dalton is no Connery. They both brought different interpretations to the role - and both equally brilliant.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339

The end scene in LTK is the token gesture, pretty much like the last chapter in many of the Fleming novels, which just wraps everything up on a positive note. We also don't know how many days have passed between the truck scene and the party. I don't find Dalton being ok then to be on the same level as the dreaded freefall sinkhole scene in QoS, where Craig literally is right as rain 2 seconds later.

Dalton looks very wounded at the end of the truck scene in LTK, I even like the weary sigh he does.

This really is the first time we have seen Bond looking in this state, far more than we ever saw Connery looking like this. In FRWL I don't recall one drop of blood on Bond - not that I am complaining because it is a brilliant film too, as is the train fight scene.

I'm not knocking Connery either, because I love him as Bond. My only real point is that Dalton in LTK was the first proper bloodied and battered Bond, and which is why it is one of my favourite films.

Thats a very interesting and valid point.

For a movie that tries so often to go out of its way to be different, despite awkward moments of tonal inconsistency, it certainly missed a moment to truly innovate at the end. That one is just unforgivable to me. It does nothing with the gigantic decision Bond made to leave his job early in the film (which he nearly got shot and killed for) and Felix is written to apparently have amnesia regarding the rape and murder of his wife who had only been dead for a short time. Huh? Possibly worst of all, there's the biggest and most sophomoric issue with the movie, the stupid love triangle with Pam, Lupe and Bond that the movie decides to jam down our throat one more time, as if the entire film didn't already do that.

For a movie that could be so good, it's got a terrible, terrible wrap-up that loses all the promise everything before it had. I say again, tone is not something the Dalton era kept in check, and it undoes a lot.

I also don't know about the comment of Fleming's last chapters being positive ones. Of the Bond endings I know of, one ends with him being betrayed and calling the woman a bitch, another ends with a woman refusing his affections while abandoning him, another with his apparent death, another with his wife's death, and one where he's in recovery and facing life's questions about his future. That's not all the books I've named, but that's at least 5 of the lot, and I'm sure a good number of the ones I don't know aren't light.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

There's no indication of how much time has passed between Sanchez going up in flames, and the party. Could be weeks for all we know.

As for stronger and durable, I agree with you there. Dalton's Bond isn't supposed to be superman, hence why he is more fallible than the other Bonds.

There's no indication of how much time has passed between Sanchez going up in flames, and the party. Could be weeks for all we know.

As for stronger and durable, I agree with you there. Dalton's Bond isn't supposed to be superman, hence why he is more fallible than the other Bonds.

Please. Bond and Q, who have massive business back in London (not that we know that from any talk Bond and M had, as it refuses to show any), would not just be kicking their feet up for weeks in Panama. It's at maximum a few days, given that Bond is only just speaking to Felix, Pam is still there on location despite her own job and commitments, and again the presence of Q. Q hates being in the field, and would only be at location for as long as he needed to be. It makes no sense that it's any longer.

As for the superman argument, there's a yes and no to that. I think far too often Dalton's Bond seems or looks incapable, and that's a big issue. Bond should feel challenged by his foes, but on the other hand he should be far more formidable against enemies than he is, considering his training and his supposed renown as the best of the best. A lot of this could be down to Dalton's rather poor physicality too, which makes him the least coordinated and dangerous looking than anyone except maybe Moore.

Dan's Bond and Bond's like him, essentially Sean, are able to show the damage being done to them in a fight without looking like a rookie as well, and that's important. So if a choose was made between having a Bond who took damage but that did so because they couldn't fight, and a Bond that didn't take damage but looked like he knew what he was doing, I'd have to go with the latter as the consequence is much less since Bond being capable is crucial to the films being good.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2017 Posts: 8,079
    Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't Q go on leave in order to aid Bond? He certainly wasn't sent by M, as we see Moneypenny ringing him herself. If Q has taken the time off anyway, and there is a empty island going free, it's entirely possible that they spent some time there. Bond might have needed to recuperate from his injuries and the mental stress he had put himself under exacting revenge. Also, officially his license was still revoked, and presumably that would have taken sometime to reinstate (we see that process a bit in Skyfall), so he could hardly be out on another mission somewhere.

For a movie that tries so often to go out of its way to be different, despite awkward moments of tonal inconsistency, it certainly missed a moment to truly innovate at the end. That one is just unforgivable to me. It does nothing with the gigantic decision Bond made to leave his job early in the film (which he nearly got shot and killed for) and Felix is written to apparently have amnesia regarding the rape and murder of his wife who had only been dead for a short time. Huh? Possibly worst of all, there's the biggest and most sophomoric issue with the movie, the stupid love triangle with Pam, Lupe and Bond that the movie decides to jam down our throat one more time, as if the entire film didn't already do that.

For a movie that could be so good, it's got a terrible, terrible wrap-up that loses all the promise everything before it had. I say again, tone is not something the Dalton era kept in check, and it undoes a lot.

I also don't know about the comment of Fleming's last chapters being positive ones. Of the Bond endings I know of, one ends with him being betrayed and calling the woman a bitch, another ends with a woman refusing his affections while abandoning him, another with his apparent death, another with his wife's death, and one where he's in recovery and facing life's questions about his future. That's not all the books I've named, but that's at least 5 of the lot, and I'm sure a good number of the ones I don't know aren't light.

You are not going to convince me that LTK is a bad film, and I aren't going to convince you it is a good film, so I guess we'll leave it at that.

As for Fleming endings, TMWTGG was the chapter I was thinking of in LTK (actually much of this novel seems to echo in the storyline of LTK.). Even the villain has the same initials as TMWTGG.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Please. Bond and Q, who have massive business back in London (not that we know that from any talk Bond and M had, as it refuses to show any), would not just be kicking their feet up for weeks in Panama. It's at maximum a few days, given that Bond is only just speaking to Felix, Pam is still there on location despite her own job and commitments, and again the presence of Q. Q hates being in the field, and would only be at location for as long as he needed to be. It makes no sense that it's any longer.

As for the superman argument, there's a yes and no to that. I think far too often Dalton's Bond seems or looks incapable, and that's a big issue. Bond should feel challenged by his foes, but on the other hand he should be far more formidable against enemies than he is, considering his training and his supposed renown as the best of the best. A lot of this could be down to Dalton's rather poor physicality too, which makes him the least coordinated and dangerous looking than anyone except maybe Moore.

Dan's Bond and Bond's like him, essentially Sean, are able to show the damage being done to them in a fight without looking like a rookie as well, and that's important. So if a choose was made between having a Bond who took damage but that did so because they couldn't fight, and a Bond that didn't take damage but looked like he knew what he was doing, I'd have to go with the latter as the consequence is much less since Bond being capable is crucial to the films being good.

Let me establish something first, this is about Bonds healing powers? Your problem is with Bond being bruised and bloodied, then a few days later, showing up at the party with not a scratch on him? Well, how is that any more absurd than in the pre-titles of Skyfall where Bond gets shot in the shoulder, and not only can he wave his arm around and adjust his cuffs, but also get involved in a fight, and register no pain?

And for what it's worth, I don't believe that Dalton has poor physicality. He might have had only one actual fight, but I dare say that that one fight, was better than the fights of the Craig era. That is just my personal opinion. However, I would like to point out that the Hotel room fight in OHMSS is my favourite fight of the series, and that Lazenby was the best fighter of the Bond actors (this is one category where George wins over the other 5 actors). The Bond of TLD and LTK could fight, but I see him as being more devious in how he did his job, only resorting to fisticuffs as a last resort.

Let me establish something first, this is about Bonds healing powers? Your problem is with Bond being bruised and bloodied, then a few days later, showing up at the party with not a scratch on him? Well, how is that any more absurd than in the pre-titles of Skyfall where Bond gets shot in the shoulder, and not only can he wave his arm around and adjust his cuffs, but also get involved in a fight, and register no pain?

And for what it's worth, I don't believe that Dalton has poor physicality. He might have had only one actual fight, but I dare say that that one fight, was better than the fights of the Craig era. That is just my personal opinion. However, I would like to point out that the Hotel room fight in OHMSS is my favourite fight of the series, and that Lazenby was the best fighter of the Bond actors (this is one category where George wins over the other 5 actors). The Bond of TLD and LTK could fight, but I see him as being more devious in how he did his job, only resorting to fisticuffs as a last resort.
    I'd leave it Major. Brady seems to be having difficulty at the moment understanding people have different opinions.

Dalton is no Connery.
    Give me a break. LTK wipes the floor with TB. And no, Dalton is no Connery. They both brought different interpretations to the role - and both equally brilliant.
    TB would be Batman 89 and LTK would be Batman and Robin! Seriously there both in my top 5.

edited April 2017 Posts: 28,694

I'm not arguing about Dan being better overall period. People were making out how Dalton felt all this pain and it lasted, and I argued that no, he didn't (as we see in the ending). I wasn't saying specific other actors did or didn't have that (I could've, but didn't), I simply argued that Dalton's wasn't doing it either in the grand scheme. It's really not an important hill to die on regardless.

As for Dalton's physicality, it's fine that he's not perfect, as that adds something and Bond should always look to be surviving in every fight, but I think they went too far in the other direction and just showed Bond really taking it and doing very little dishing. Additionally (and almost more importantly), I think that at the very least a Bond actor should look or feel like he could pass the regimented physical examinations required to be a military man or agent, and with Dalton I really don't get that sense, or at least nowhere near as with Sean, George and Dan.

I'd leave it Major. Brady seems to be having difficulty at the moment understanding people have different opinions.

Don't be so sensitive. We all argue our points passionately but with no ill intention, don't get it twisted. I know you're sweet on Dalton's tenure, I didn't mean to prick too hard at the flaws I see in the movies. I shan't just say what makes people happy and warm inside, however.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

Dalton is no Connery.

Like you said each to his own but TB does not look like a TV film or feel like it's aping other films and of course it has that Barry score.

I'm sorry I used to love LTK when I was 17 when it was originally released but for me it's stock has dropped.

Ironic considering that for Bond fans it's reputation has risen, when it came out it had little love and that was when I loved it but now it feels a tonally all over the place and still has cosy hangovers from the Moore era while trying to be gritty and Fleming like.

TB feels in a completely different class.

• BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    edited April 2017 Posts: 1,884

He might have had only one actual fight, but I dare say that that one fight, was better than the fights of the Craig era. That is just my personal opinion. However, I would like to point out that the Hotel room fight in OHMSS is my favourite fight of the series, and that Lazenby was the best fighter of the Bond actors (this is one category where George wins over the other 5 actors). The Bond of TLD and LTK could fight, but I see him as being more devious in how he did his job, only resorting to fisticuffs as a last resort.

No, absolutely not. Dalton's 'fights' (if you want to even call them that) are a disgrace next to Craig's physically-demanding brawls. Bond drowning Fisher in a sink after throwing themselves through toilet stalls is far more violent, far more exciting and far better than LTK's Miami Vice club fight or whenever he might of punched someone. An example; Dalton elbows a dude and then lightly hits him with the back of his hand... I think the majority of us would agree that Craig's Bond being the best fighter is a fact.

If all 6 actors had to fight bare-knuckled, do you really think Lazenby would win? Seriously!? He'd be buried underneath Moore.

Admittedly, Lazenby got unlucky and had the worst editing (and thus the worst fist fights) of the entire franchise. I am not blaming Lazenby - but those fights are truly horrendous. Terribly pieced together and those blasted sound effects ruin the rest!