MGW - "Daniel Craig plays Bond like Connery"

Comments

chuck007 wrote:
    timmer wrote:
    But Connery was smart enough to work with Young to establish the character. This is a testament to his acting ability - an ability to take direction and work with others to really get the role figured out.

He was lucky enough to be cast as "the first James Bond" , his testament is not his acting ability my friend.

Oh please. I am so sick of hearing all this wish wash about how Sean is only considered the best because "he was first". That is utter tripe, and unfounded. Sean helped form the character. He was a perfect mix of suave, cold with his gaze, ruthless in his actions, and deadly in appearance in the field. He set some of the best aspects of Bond that are hardly used anymore. His Bond checked the hotels he stayed in for bugs, he enjoyed fun brakes between missions, and his Bond felt the pain and hurt. He is the greatest because he led the craze of Bondmania, and played the role to a tee, the most exceptionally as of yet. Not because he got the role first.

Totally agree. I'd go as far as saying it was to do with his insouciance.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ^
    You've offically made insouciance the word of the day @Getafix.
  • A word about Connery and Craig, but first my thoughts on why Lazenby and Brosnan get picked on for their acting skills...

One of the things that I was cautioned about by an old drama teacher is just "acting" as opposed to "reacting". He said that when most people first try acting they concentrate on acting when they deliver their lines but stop when someone else is speaking - so they end up looking like they're just waiting for their turn. He said that this is common and that one should always think of things to say when someone else is speaking - whether it's your next line or something else that you just choose not to say. That way you're fully engaged in the scene and give a performance instead of just standing there listening while waiting for your cue.

I do really like Lazenby - his Bond has a genial, very human nature about him which is very engaging - but he is sometimes guilty of what I just described above. The best example is when he first meets Draco. Because it's a "beginner's mistake" I think a lot of people can forgive him for that - plus the fact that he delivers some truly wonderful moments later in the film.

Now, Brosnan does something very different in the scenes where he gets criticzed for his acting skills. He tries far too hard to "act" and delivers his lines in a cheesy, overwrought way and he doesn't have the gravity to back them up. His scene in TWINE where he confronts Elektra is probably the best example of this, although sometimes he seems like he's a boy pretending to be tough and looks like he's playing "at" being Bond instead of just being Bond. Because this is more a case of someone over-reaching it can appear as hubris so viewers are often less forgiving of this then Lazenby's "beginner mistake".

As for Connery/Craig I think that they both do humour where it reveals character as opposed to playing to the audience. When Craig crashed the Land Rover and threw the keys away in CR or says to Le Chiffre "That last hand nearly killed me" he's showing that he's a character not to be messed with - there still funny moments but there's more than just a cheap joke. Much different than throwing a joke out there just for the sake of a joke. I think that that's another way that Connery and Craig are similar (although the jokes were much more there just for joke's sake later in Connery's run).
    Agreed, but the scripts aren't the responsibility of the actors. Perhaps (perhaps) given better scripts that played to Brozza's less defined personality then he might have produced better performances.
    Getafix wrote:
    Agreed, but the scripts aren't the responsibility of the actors. Perhaps (perhaps) given better scripts that played to Brozza's less defined personality then he might have produced better performances.

Generally speaking, isn't the actor supposed to adapt to the script and not the other way around?
    Germanlady wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Generally speaking, isn't the actor supposed to adapt to the script and not the other way around?

Not necessarily. They tried a tougher persona with Moore and that didn't work as well so they made the scripts a bit lighter in subsequent films
    Tougher as who? Sean was and even though I don't remember Lazenby, people seem to think, he was tough as well. But I suppose, you never know in advance, how an actor applies to a role and how well his persona becomes the character. But this is the point that separates the bad, the good and the great actors - how much are they able to really BE a character. How much are they able to make it look effortless? Like the harder you try to look cool, the less convincing it becomes...

But however it was the matter with Moore - they were smart enough to stray away from book Bond and let the Sir shine in the way he could. Overly tough cookie wouldn't have worked.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Germanlady wrote:
    Tougher as who? Sean was and even though I don't remember Lazenby, people seem to think, he was tough as well. But I suppose, you never know in advance, how an actor applies to a role and how well his persona becomes the character. But this is the point that separates the bad, the good and the great actors - how much are they able to really BE a character. How much are they able to make it look effortless? Like the harder you try to look cool, the less convincing it becomes...

But however it was the matter with Moore - they were smart enough to stray away from book Bond and let the Sir shine in the way he could. Overly tough cookie wouldn't have worked.

Bain is right. The scripts need to be tailored to the actor. They never got the tone right with Brosnan. There was no distinctive sense of what kind of Bond he was. I don't want to defend him, obviously, but the scripts sucked. Even Sean and Roger would have struggled with the material they gave the poor guy.

I'm not sure what they needed to do to make Brozza's Bond 'work' and it's pretty obvious those dimwits Purvis and Wade never fathomed it out either. Don't start me on Finkelstein.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 11,189
    In fairness to Broz the other Bond's did change over time aswell. I don't think Roger in LALD and TMWTGG has that much in common with the Rog in AVTAK. Likewise with the Connery in Dr No and the Connery in DAF - they seemed pretty different.

With Broz there was always a "boyish charm"
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 172
    Getafix wrote:

Bain is right. The scripts need to be tailored to the actor. They never got the tone right with Brosnan. There was no distinctive sense of what kind of Bond he was. I don't want to defend him, obviously, but the scripts sucked. Even Sean and Roger would have struggled with the material they gave the poor guy.

I'm not sure what they needed to do to make Brozza's Bond 'work' and it's pretty obvious those dimwits Purvis and Wade never fathomed it out either. Don't start me on Finkelstein.
    I don't know how the writer works, were their creative process involving the actor abilities and their skills to deliver it? and would the writer predict the audience accept would react to it? if that the case may be TWINE were the maximum they could get for Brosnan (IMO). I watch Goldeneye, and its a good film and a good script too IMO, but Brosnan never really nail it. Or take another example if the writer choose the characterisation like The Tailor of Panama for Brosnan. I think he nailed it for some part, and i believe THe Tailor of Panama would be Brosnan's Best Bond movie, but would general audience would accept Brosnan potray Bond like int TTOP?

All these year i can't blame Purvis and wade for the "failure",i think they tried to make what best for Brosnan, sadly Brosnan acting skills were not help either. IF you a writer with Brosnan in mind what would you best can do except maximizing his charm and OTT persona?
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 12,837
    actonsteve wrote:
    Craig needs to be more like connery. I like him, but if he doesn't lighten up and become more like bond for skyfall, then I'll lose my faith in him. QOS sucked because it took the seriousness too far, the film lost all its sense of fun. The "bond is still learning" excuse is gone now, so hopefully for skyfall I'll see craig become more like bond.

Then it might be an idea that you give it a miss. The doubletaking pigeon and inivisible car days are not happening under Craig.

You have to realise that.

I know they won't, and I'm glad. I like craigs bond so far, I love CR, but there's a middle ground between being deadly serious and totally ridiculous. CR was slightly on the serious side, but the franchise needed that and it suited the CR bond. But QOS went too far and in the end it didn't even feel like a bond film.

I don't want another DAD, but I do want something like thunderball. Which has fun AND seriousness, and pulls it of. And craig said that they were making it like a 60s bond film, so I have high hopes.
  • I agree that they never really tailored Brosnan's scripts for Brosnan (maybe TND, Brozza's best performance as Bond). He is an actor that is good at light humor, but not really at heavy drama. He is much more like Moore, but they gave him some scripts that would be better suited for an actor like Dalton. I think that is one reason Brosnan looks like a fish out of water much of the time.
    jaguar007 wrote:
    I agree that they never really tailored Brosnan's scripts for Brosnan (maybe TND, Brozza's best performance as Bond). He is an actor that is good at light humor, but not really at heavy drama. He is much more like Moore, but they gave him some scripts that would be better suited for an actor like Dalton. I think that is one reason Brosnan looks like a fish out of water much of the time.

It's funny. I watched him in The Greatest recently and thought he was very good in that, though he was upstaged a little by Carey Mulligan and Susan Sarandon. Nonetheless I liked him in it.
    jaguar007 wrote:
    I agree that they never really tailored Brosnan's scripts for Brosnan (maybe TND, Brozza's best performance as Bond). He is an actor that is good at light humor, but not really at heavy drama. He is much more like Moore, but they gave him some scripts that would be better suited for an actor like Dalton. I think that is one reason Brosnan looks like a fish out of water much of the time.
    Agree! Brosnan's best performance by far I have seen is in "The Matador"!

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    chuck007 wrote:
    timmer wrote:
    But Connery was smart enough to work with Young to establish the character. This is a testament to his acting ability - an ability to take direction and work with others to really get the role figured out.

He was lucky enough to be cast as "the first James Bond" , his testament is not his acting ability my friend.
    Oh please. I am so sick of hearing all this wish wash about how Sean is only considered the best because "he was first". That is utter tripe, and unfounded. Sean helped form the character. He was a perfect mix of suave, cold with his gaze, ruthless in his actions, and deadly in appearance in the field. He set some of the best aspects of Bond that are hardly used anymore. His Bond checked the hotels he stayed in for bugs, he enjoyed fun brakes between missions, and his Bond felt the pain and hurt. He is the greatest because he led the craze of Bondmania, and played the role to a tee, the most exceptionally as of yet. Not because he got the role first.

Well said and I agree vehemently. This notion that Connery is the best because he is the first is utter nonsense. Connery's acting, charisma and screen presence is THE testament as to why and how Bond was so big in the 60s and why it's always Connery that is consistently cited today. The bloody screen tests are teens menus of scenes from FRWL for goodness sake.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 4,622
    I think Connery, Dalton and Craig are the best actors of the 6. Lazenby got the job done quite well, but his body of work doesn't suggest he's a great actor. I don't think there is anything that could have been done to salvage Broz as Bond. He simply wasn't credible as the character that Sean established. It was beyond his reach. He could look and pose the part but he couldn't play the part convincingly. He didn't move well. He lacked the menace. Moore had the same problem, but like Laz he kept things simple and played to his strengths, which were his charm, and his general screen presence and earnestness.
    Dalton is a good actor, but I don't like what he chose to do with the character, so his "failings" are a matter of preference, not a reflection on his acting ability. Craig is obviously quite a good actor and he does have his moments as Bond, and in some ways does remind of Sean, more than others, but as I've said about a hundred times, he doesn't have the right look, which throws me off. Plus I don't like the whole re-boot, Bond with trust issues being dragged out over 2 films. The scripts haven't allowed him to even attempt to play the role, in the way in which Sean created and defined it.
    I blame Babs though for changing the character. Once she took over effectively with GE, Bond the character, has had regular emotional issues, on screen angst, etc. It's not detroying the films or anything, but I don't think it improves them. Dalts kinda started things on his own by trying to humanize the character. I don't think audiences liked it. They didn't hate it mind you, but it didn't add anything terribly helpful to the franchise, I don't think. No, I think the character was perfected with the Connery driven Bond-mania of the 1960's, and that it is folly to stray too far from that template, either with casting, or "character development" ideas.
    Neither Moore nor Laz were the acting giant that Sean was, but they pretty much stuck to the Connery template, within the context of their own abilities, which is why I rank the first 14 films ahead of the others. Its basically the same character for all 14 films, even if Moore didn't bring the same gravitas as Sean.
    The character tinkering began with Dalts. Broz was never right for the role under any circumstance IMO (although his films are still quite watchable, Bond adventures), and now we are seeing a guy, that doesn't quite look like Bond, but does play Bond fairly convincingly.
    But having been mired in re-boot and angst-driven origins Bond for the last two films, its right up in the air, as to whether the old smooth reliable Bond is coming back. Craig might very well be insisting, that his Bond films need be character driven dramas, as opposed to the old established Bond, simply wowing us, by going about the business of being Bond, and completing the mission with panache, style and deadly efficiency.
    MGW's claims that SF might echo GF could be wishful thinking. SF's tone might very well have a lot more in common with QoS, than GF. We shall see. In the meantime I am happy to stick with Craig, as long as the films work as Bondian entertainment. I don't want to change things just for the heck of it, as long as the movies are successful, but next time, I would really like to see a commitment to more orthodoxcasting of the iconic role, and a return to less character driven dramas - a return to the Bond we know and love, simply going about the mission.
    JR_747 wrote:
    jaguar007 wrote:
    Agree! Brosnan's best performance by far I have seen is in "The Matador"!

Agree with you both. I always thought TND was Brosnan's 'best' Bond and yet the Brozza fans seem to dismiss it as rubbish.
    Surely Craig has to play it his way and shouldn't be aspiring to just be like Connery? Isn't that the point of hiring different actors, they all do things differently.
    timmer wrote:
    I think Connery, Dalton and Craig are the best actors of the 6. Lazenby got the job done quite well, but his body of work doesn't suggest he's a great actor. I don't think there is anything that could have been done to salvage Broz as Bond. He simply wasn't credible as the character that Sean established. It was beyond his reach. He could look and pose the part but he couldn't play the part convincingly. He didn't move well. He lacked the menace. Moore had the same problem, but like Laz he kept things simple and played to his strengths, which were his charm, and his general screen presence and earnestness.
    Dalton is a good actor, but I don't like what he chose to do with the character, so his "failings" are a matter of preference, not a reflection on his acting ability. Craig is obviously quite a good actor and he does have his moments as Bond, and in some ways does remind of Sean, more than others, but as I've said about a hundred times, he doesn't have the right look, which throws me off. Plus I don't like the whole re-boot, Bond with trust issues being dragged out over 2 films. The scripts haven't allowed him to even attempt to play the role, in the way in which Sean created and defined it.
    I blame Babs though for changing the character. Once she took over effectively with GE, Bond the character, has had regular emotional issues, on screen angst, etc. It's not detroying the films or anything, but I don't think it improves them. Dalts kinda started things on his own by trying to humanize the character. I don't think audiences liked it. They didn't hate it mind you, but it didn't add anything terribly helpful to the franchise, I don't think. No, I think the character was perfected with the Connery driven Bond-mania of the 1960's, and that it is folly to stray too far from that template, either with casting, or "character development" ideas.
    Neither Moore nor Laz were the acting giant that Sean was, but they pretty much stuck to the Connery template, within the context of their own abilities, which is why I rank the first 14 films ahead of the others. Its basically the same character for all 14 films, even if Moore didn't bring the same gravitas as Sean.
    The character tinkering began with Dalts. Broz was never right for the role under any circumstance IMO (although his films are still quite watchable, Bond adventures), and now we are seeing a guy, that doesn't quite look like Bond, but does play Bond fairly convincingly.
    But having been mired in re-boot and angst-driven origins Bond for the last two films, its right up in the air, as to whether the old smooth reliable Bond is coming back. Craig might very well be insisting, that his Bond films need be character driven dramas, as opposed to the old established Bond, simply wowing us, by going about the business of being Bond, and completing the mission with panache, style and deadly efficiency.
    MGW's claims that SF might echo GF could be wishful thinking. SF's tone might very well have a lot more in common with QoS, than GF. We shall see. In the meantime I am happy to stick with Craig, as long as the films work as Bondian entertainment. I don't want to change things just for the heck of it, as long as the movies are successful, but next time, I would really like to see a commitment to more orthodoxcasting of the iconic role, and a return to less character driven dramas - a return to the Bond we know and love, simply going about the mission.

I agree with pretty much everything here.

I don't understand how Babs seems to get it so wrong. You see her interviewed and she seems intelligent enought with a decent understanding of the films and yet on her watch the quality and essence of Bond has largely been lost. I don't get it. MGW was fairly intimately involved in the earlier Bonds as well and yet he doesn't seem able to preserve the essence of the character. Very strange. I still hold out hope that with Skyfall they might give us a decent Bond movie, but for me CR and QoS were slightly underwhelming. DC is convincing in the part but he's missing something - wit, lightness of touch and a bit of panache. He comes across as a playground bully at the moment. I actually felt sorry for Le Chiffre in CR - it's a bad sign when you're rooting for the villain in a Bond movie.
  • My response to CHUCK007 a bit late,he asks 'please define what is Bond look and style?' Chuck- please read Ian Flemings novels, also in an interview during the making of Dr.No. Fleming praised Connery as the right Bond as he is 'Tall-over six feet, dark , strongly built and moves slowly'(I guess with a deliberate caution). His only resevation was Sean's Scottish accent which he hoped would mellow during production.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 172
    Jason19 wrote:
    Chuck- please read Ian Flemings novels, .

Yes i read them, but i never see the pages that describe James Bond very detail or any pirctures of Bond in that novel, Bond never wore toupee like Connery did, Fleming never describe Bond looks like an underwear model or boybands member like Brosnan, or have double chin like Lazenby, or have Blond hair like Craig or Moore, my point is none of the actors fit exactly the description in the novel so why complain about the silly psychical qualities about the height or hair color? . Bond also describe in the book he look like a movie star - Daniel Craig is also a movie a star so why some people tell Craig is not fit the description?, can you define what movie star is look like?
    Jason19 wrote:
    also in an interview during the making of Dr.No. Fleming praised Connery as the right Bond as he is 'Tall-over six feet, dark , strongly built and moves slowly'(I guess with a deliberate caution).

I don't think Fleming praised him because he is 'Tall-over six feet, dark , strongly built and moves slowly'. and in other interview Fleming is also describe Bond:

I don’t think that [James Bond] is necessarily a good guy or a bad guy. Who is? He’s got his vices and very few perceptible virtues except patriotism and courage, which are probably not virtues anyway. He’s certainly got little in the way of politics, but I should think what politics he has are just a little bit left of centre. And he’s got little culture. He’s a man of action, and he reads books on golf, and so on—when he reads anything. I quite agree that he’s not a person of much social attractiveness. But then, I didn’t intend for him to be a particularly likable person. He’s a cipher, a blunt instrument in the hands of government. "

quite contrary right? Fleming never intended that his character to be a particularly likeable person... Craig and Dalton fit the description IMO.

• Pointless comments by MGW!
    He could easily have said: We've had a scottisch bond, an australian bond, an english bond, a welsh bond, an irish bond and another english one..

• chuck007 wrote:
    Jason19 wrote:
    Chuck- please read Ian Flemings novels, .

Yes i read them, but i never see the pages that describe James Bond very detail or any pirctures of Bond in that novel, Bond never wore toupee like Connery did, Fleming never describe Bond looks like an underwear model or boybands member like Brosnan, or have double chin like Lazenby, or have Blond hair like Craig or Moore, my point is none of the actors fit exactly the description in the novel so why complain about the silly psychical qualities about the height or hair color? . Bond also describe in the book he look like a movie star - Daniel Craig is also a movie a star so why some people tell Craig is not fit the description?, can you define what movie star is look like?

I've been saying this for years. I said it when craig was cast and I say it whenever the argument about a black bond comes up. None of the actors really look like the character in the books, and that character has been pretty much lost over the years, so why bother arguing over what bond should look like.
  • Getting late now but we can accept Bond looking a little different, so long as it stays within the boundaries of commonsense. Whenever I put on Bond, and say Connery comes on or Dalton, I think straight away, this is how Bond should be, it's just the closest you could maybe get to the original character, not so with the others especially Lazenby or Craig and I'm not refering to acting capabilities. For the last time when Craig was cast in 2005, we were introduced to a Bond we had never come across before, it was something totally different to what we were used to, whether that was a good or bad thing to whoever, the fact remains the actor did very well in his debut picture, a pity about the second, and we wait with expectation for the third part

Bond actors don't have to be the very epitome of how Fleming wanted it, but we shouldn't stray too far from such a thing, I can appreciate some people taking issue with whatever they deemed unsatisfactory from past actors, there has never been a 'perfect Bond', so to speak although Connery came close in his early appearances, and maybe until the end of time we may never find one. And as Blofeld said earlier - 'It's late, I'm tired, and there's so much more to do', but there you are

• Im gone for alittle over a day and I miss all these great discussions. Lol. I wouldn't know were to begin. But I agree that Connery isn't considered the best because he was the first. He's considered the best because he blended everything perfectly. He could be serious, he looked great in action scenes, he had a sense of humor, and he was coolness personified. None of the other actors have had all of the positives and few negatives like Connery.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 4,622
    Fleming's Bond was set aside with DN the movie. Connery and Young embellished the character for the screen, and right under Fleming's nose, who didn't seem to be at all bothered. As much as I love the Fleming books, movie-Bond was established by Connery and Young, not Fleming. Sean and Young did the heavy lifting involved in adapting Fleming's Bond to the screen and with incredible success.
    For me that's the template all future movie Bonds need adapt - what Connery established. Bondmania and all that - and Fleming seemed quite happy with the result as well. :)
  • These debates go on and on.But in my support of my own opinion as to whether Bond should fit the Connery/Lazenby mould. May I point to the current TV version of Agatha Christies Hercule Poirot(David Suchet) No one is suggesting a tall, blonde ,blue eyed youth with a public school accent should play Poirot , or perhaps a short yellow China man speaking Mandarin ,maybe an American Indian with a resemblance to Chief Sitting Bull. Poirot is Belgian and 70 years after his creation his TV appearnce runs as close as possible in every way to Agatha Christies original character. Poirot is a pre-war character created decades before Bond and yet the TV producers can see what is important in these stories, and present Poirot as he should be. The makers of the Bond films threw the baby out with the bathwater over 30 years ago and career hell for leather with any old pointless action movie tosh in a desperate,desperate bid to stay at the top of the money pile. 'Money,money,money, must be funny in the rich man's world' sing Abba - it's also a CRAP world if the last thirty years of Bond films are to go by !
  • Gotta feel a bit sorry for Craig if he's branded as being another Connery imitator. He's obviously a good actor but i sometimes think acting should be seamless, i think he struggles with star quality which Connery had. Also they're in danger of turning Craig's bond into a thug who just muscles over everyone almost like Stallone or someone. Also not sure how to place Craig. Connery played it tough with lighter moments; Moore did the reversal; Dalton played it straight and Brosnan ended up stuck inbetween all 3 of those.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited February 2012 Posts: 7,571
    Gotta feel a bit sorry for Craig if he's branded as being another Connery imitator. He's obviously a good actor but i sometimes think acting should be seamless, i think he struggles with star quality which Connery had. Also they're in danger of turning Craig's bond into a thug who just muscles over everyone almost like Stallone or someone. Also not sure how to place Craig. Connery played it tough with lighter moments; Moore did the reversal; Dalton played it straight and Brosnan ended up stuck inbetween all 3 of those.

Not a Connery imitator dmt, more a case of him sharing some of Connery's qualities. Qualities that were very evident from the off. Some of the actors have struggled to live in Connery's shadow whereas Craig has enough about him to carry the role with confidence.
    Craig without question is his own man and own Bond. I have always thought that since i saw the PTS of CR. He pays respect to Connery....etc. But Daniel Craig is James Bond! B-)