CLOSED

edited March 2019 in General Discussion Posts: 19,339
I dont see why general comments and news can't still be shared,and no thread exists on here.
So this is for members who wish to discuss this, and other situations surrounding world events, and the world in general.

A MATURE and serious thread for discussion/debate.

Comments

• edited March 2017 Posts: 4,325
    Thanks @barryt007. My prayers and sympathies with all those affected.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Thanks Barry, you beat me to it.

I'm trying to sort out the other major 'issue' as we speak.
    Thanks @tanaka123 .

Nice one Nackers,i would REALLY appreciate it if you would,old friend.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Good man @barryt007. While i may not contribute to this sort of thread much, i do read them. Wondered what the heck was going on in the other.

Anyway, fair play to ya and my thoughts are with a affected by these terrible events. I have a friend who works in the HOP and am happy to say he's ok despite being shaken. A terrible occurrence.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Terrible attack, my sympathies and thoughts
    Go to all the poor victims involved, it has achieved nothing but make London a stronger community.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Interesting how this has effected other countries. The lady who died on the bridge had a Spanish mother and her town in Spain held a vigil.

Far from dividing Nations these sort of events draw everyone closer.
  • I like to see everybody coming together in dire situations. Here in the US, we've certainly have had our shares of national tradgies, but beyond that. I come from a small town where I have seen loved ones and friends pass away. It in a way creates this beautiful bond between people.
    21 Searches,11 people now arrested ,with 10 of them under the British Terrorism Act,which gives us 2 full weeks without interruption to question them.
    The media coverage is pretty dreadful which leaves us second guessing. For example, Newsnight reported that last night the home of the terrorists partner was raided and they had photos of a "swat style" raid with items seized etc. Clearly, she would have known that her partner had killed 3 people etc. But she had chosen not to go to the police and not to offer access to the premises to search for evidence etc. Whilst respecting the idea of "lone wolf", are we seeing evidence that, he is perhaps supported via lack of co-operation with the police ?
    I have many fond memories in London! A fantastic city for everyone!
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 4,325
    patb wrote: »

Spot on. The BBC news coverage has been over the top. It is right to pay our respects to those who died, but part of that is also moving on. The news keeps reporting that Londoners are carrying on as normal, getting on with their lives as they should - but why can't the media? The 6 o'clock news on the BBC carried no other news story other than what was happening in Westminster.
    I remember studying in the UK, Lancaster to be exact, and one day walking out of my house and being stopped immediately because their had been a bomb reported and there were folks walking around in these bombproof suits. It kinda threw me and I was surprised how mellow the reaction form the British folks around me was, they took it in their daily stride. In that sense the British isles are far less unknown with bombscares and bombings than most other countries and yes perhaps the 24 hour news these days goes a wee bit overboard. But then again it was a vast improvement over that Orange twit that wants to rule the media with his tweets everyday.

My respects to the wounded and the dead, and respects for the British for not stopping their way of live because somebody threatens them. Against idiots with no special training and weapons there is simply no defense.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I remember studying in the UK, Lancaster to be exact, and one day walking out of my house and being stopped immediately because their had been a bomb reported and there were folks walking around in these bombproof suits. It kinda threw me and I was surprised how mellow the reaction form the British folks around me was, they took it in their daily stride. In that sense the British isles are far less unknown with bombscares and bombings than most other countries and yes perhaps the 24 hour news these days goes a wee bit overboard. But then again it was a vast improvement over that Orange twit that wants to rule the media with his tweets everyday.

My respects to the wounded and the dead, and respects for the British for not stopping their way of live because somebody threatens them. Against idiots with no special training and weapons there is simply no defense.

I think I remember that, I live in Morecambe and studied in Lancaster. Also studied in York and we had a bomb scare on one of the bridges there.
    It really impressed me how they folks around me took it in their stride and it did kinda freak me out, not being used to any terrorist thread at all.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 19,339
    It sounds silly but the Bulldog war spirit does kick in when these things happen,and people you usually ignore becomes your ally against whatever is opposing attacking us ....even a bad train delay gets people laughing and joking together to keep the spirits up,when normally you would never talk.

I still think its ingrained in us since 1940 and the Battle of Britain...the ultimate against the odds 'shit or bust battle' to save everyone when the whole of Europe fell ,and the neutral countries could only watch,helpless.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    barryt007 wrote: »
    It sounds silly but the Bulldog war spirit does kick in when these things happen,and people you usually ignore becomes your ally against whatever is opposing attacking us ....even a bad train delay gets people laughing and joking together to keep the spirits up,when normally you would never talk.

I still think its ingrained in us since 1940 and the Battle of Britain...the ultimate against the odds 'shit or bust battle' to save everyone when the whole of Europe fell ,and the neutral countries could only watch,helpless.

It goes back further than 1940. It's innate, in fact.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    My condolences to all those who have lost loved ones and my sympathy to everyone else who has been affected by this tragedy.

The people of dear old Great Britain will never be cowed by such actions.

I hope for a serious debate on this most grave of subjects.
    What is interesting in the media is the lack of debate re the root cause(s). If you look through the coverage, there is great focus on the "back stories" of the victims, the heroics of those who helped, the history of the attacker, platitudes from politicians around the World, religious leaders literally standing together for photo shoots, candles lit etc etc, a pattern we have seen repeated around the World. But how much genuine debate on the cause? Very little that I can see.

It goes back further than 1940. It's innate, in fact.

Good point ,maybe it was exnhanced at that time !

The attacker was on Watsup 3 minutes before the attack at 14:37...he hit the people on the bridge at 14:40....we would by now know who he was talking to.......................and so the trail to the source begins,wiping them all out on the way .
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'd like to see a little less Infomation in the press and TV about the attacker. I know the
    Police need this information, but as far as I'm concerned. I don't care about him, one
    Less terrorist, no need to give him any publicity. I'm more interested in the stories of the
    Victims .
    Agreed...time to let the Government,police,MI5 and MI6 get on with their jobs ,and let THEIR media and social network departments monitor events,and the press to stop wasting time promoting what an impact (even a shitty tiny one like this) can give some glory-hunter.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I can't stop ruminating over this. I'm first of all glad my friend @barryt007 wasn't harmed. I'm secondly appalled beyond words by this heinous crime. However, I'm not ready to be scared yet. In the end, evil destroys itself.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    He stayed in Room 228 at the Preston Park Hotel. His words before he drove off to London are certainly a bit chilling.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/westminster-attack-latest-khalid-masood-preston-park-hotel-brighton-a7647141.html?amp
    Agreed...time to let the Government,police,MI5 and MI6 get on with their jobs ,and let THEIR media and social network departments monitor events,and the press to stop wasting time promoting what an impact (even a shitty tiny one like this) can give some glory-hunter.

That's the problem with 24 hour news channels.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I can't stop ruminating over this. I'm first of all glad my friend @barryt007 wasn't harmed. I'm secondly appalled beyond words by this heinous crime. However, I'm not ready to be scared yet. In the end, evil destroys itself.

Im fine my old buddy....and i totally agree with your thinking,as always.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I wish I'd known you worked nearby @barryt007 back in 2015. Did the Lazenby pose on the other side of Westminster bridge, and walked across the bridge towards parliament.
    Would've loved to catch up for a beer.
    In any case, happy that you're unharmed. Glad to see the authorities have moved swiftly on this disgusting act and hopefully can learn much in the process. You can knock us down, but we'll bloody well keep getting back up again. Never surrender.
    Next time you are here @Benny we will definately have a few beers and watch OP on the laptop ...bliss hahaha !!!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Just make sure the both of you @Benny and @barryt007 to be in London sometime between September 11th and September 20th 2017.
    Because I will be there :D and @4EverBonded as well and others.

I love London. Always have. In my childhood and youth in Bournemouth I took the coach to London quite regularly, in my teens even alone without my father.
    Hammersmith Odeon was like a second home to me :P and I had the luck to experience quite a few of legendary concerts there.

Terrorism is the worst kind of human behaviour. It is a sign of weakness, cowardice and evil.
    I will never get the concept of terrorising people. The only way to fight it as a civilian is to not be afraid and still go to all the places that blood has been shed. Stand tall and proud and show them that we will never surrender to terrorism.

This discussion has been closed.