The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Serra's score here is actually very good,the Russian undertones really come forward,i may have been a bit harsh on him...knocks Conti and especially bloody Newman into touch.
    I like Serra's score, there I said it.

Not the best score by any means but there's more good than bad.
    The tank chase i find underwhelming but again,a little bit of the Moore era...they are breaking Brosnan in here,making him accepted by hardcore fans and Moore era fans..something they never did with Dalton,but saying that i dont think Dalton would have accepted or been able to do what Pierce is doing here,and doing very well...
    Serra's score has grown on me since I bought it and listened in isolation several times
    Serra's score has grown on me since I bought it and listened in isolation several times

It does indeed..i have deliberately listened to it during the film here,and it fits in well..very 'end of the cold war'...

barryt007 wrote: »

It does indeed..i have deliberately listened to it during the film here,and it fits in well..very 'end of the cold war'...

You are right it fits the tone and theme of the film well, GE is a good film IMO always rated it.

As I've said before the two worst tracks don't feature in the actual film.

(Serra's original score for the tank chase and The Experience of Love)
    Experience of Love is shit....but im not there yet..time for Bond to escape from the de-railed train !!
    I love the stare BrosnanBond gives the guard while he is being searched ..its almost saying "you dont want to do this,you can help me save lives'..brilliant stuff from Brosnan.
    006 vs 007 is brutal stuff...brilliant...
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 19,339
    All done,GE is finished ..Its still better than LTK below it at #10..but it has to beat SF,OP,TB,QoS,CR,FRWL and OHMSS....

I loved it but it stays at #9...
    You may or may not know but I have a soft spot for GE as it's the Bond film I first saw and the one I grew up watching almost on a daily basis.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    You may or may not know but I have a soft spot for GE as it's the Bond film I first saw and the one I grew up watching almost on a daily basis.

That must have been one hell of a ride when you saw that as your first Bond..i had watched Bond many times but my 1st cinema experience is OP in 1983,so thats my nostalgic Bond..

• edited March 2017 Posts: 11,189
    My first cinematic Bond was actually TND in 1997. First saw GE on VHS as was too young back then to see it in the cinema (I was 9-10 at the time). I do remember the posters being everywhere though.
    Just made a Bond nostalgia thread @BAIN123 me olde matey...put that on there ,great stuff !
    OK,my wee sweetheart has gone home so i have time for one Bond : LALD

It is in #17th place and has AVTAK and GF above it and DAD and YOLT are the 2 below it below it....lets see how this works out ..film on.
    My feelings when I last watched LALD a few weeks ago:

Some great lines of dialogue throughout but a very thin main story that takes second fiddle to stretched out comedic action scenes.
    Thats what worries me...it wont go above GF and im not sure it will even overtake AVTAK ..i think,unless it really impresses me it might move DAD up another place ,but i think it will just stay where it is...
    Not having Bond in the PTS is a clever idea for a new Bond ,and Wings song is brilliant..however i know ,from experience,i was expecting a Saint or Pursuaders Moore to appear after the credits,but i know in about 1 min i will see a lightweight Sir Roger...
    You have to admire Bernard Lee's professionalism here ,after his wife's death...a great great actor.
    Very lightweight Sir Roger...ive met you and chatted and shook your hand,and even older you are a solid man....you arnt nailing this...
    Yaphet Kotto so good in this and Sir Rog is so lightweight...
    finished....stays the same place,but DAD is right up its arse....not impressed.
    I think LALD is Rogers best... I'll get my coat
    I think Roger's problem in his first 2 films is that he sometimes feels like he's standing in until someone else comes along. Maybe not so much in LALD but more in MWTGG. Remember thinking that the last time I saw the film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I think LALD is Rogers best... I'll get my coat

I think TSWLM is a slightly better film, but LALD is most certainly my favorite of his.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 2,107
    Okay, first Bond of the year is...

*drum roll*

Spectre.

Have to see what all the fuss is about. Since last time I checked it, I enjoyed it and now seem to be one of the few who actually think the movie will be more appreciated in the future. Hell, I remember when almost everyone hated QoS and now it's todays LTK among the fans. LTK or some worse movie in the franchise that everyone and their cat hated.

1407225932091_wps_6_SANTA_MONICA_CA_AUGUST_04.jpg

On with the show!

• edited March 2017 Posts: 2,107
    My thoughts so far;

Classic Bond pretitle sequence. Craig has the right amount of swagger and he's again in his predatore mode. Like in most of his era, he's chasing the bad guy and not the other way around. Maybe shooting of the bomb was a bit extreme. But Bond has been the man of destruction since 1995.

Visceral closequarters fight in the helicopter. Sure, it is a bit of FYEO homage, but Craig literally kicks the living # out of the assassin and out of the copter. Like the little whistle in the soundtrack, when the copter ascends (spelling) and goes upside down and around.

Nice shots of the city landscape when Bond flies the copter into the sundown and the melody of the theme song begins.

Not a Sam Smith fan and I hate the 'money on my mind' song of his. I might be the only one who likes this theme song. It's hauntingly beatiful and kind of like the old ballads. Only sung by a guy in falsetto now. I think it's my second favorite of this era, right after YKMN.

Other than hentai, title sequence matches the song. Love the few shattering images of Vesper and the gang and sequences foreshadowing the movie itself.

Oh, only Craig I can see naming someone C. I can picture him saying the whole word, which I imagine him meaning. It's right up his alley.

Loved to see the old styled office, Q's digs. Bond's home. Looks a lot like mine. "Just moved in".

Okay, to sum it up. So far nothing has changed in my view. Still like it as much as I did in 2015.
    Where is it on your rankings @SharkBait ?
    So, traveling to Rome. Nice shot there of Bond driving to the funeral and his chat with the Sciarra widow. Ouch! That's cold. But so much like Bond.

Classic Bond. Rescuing, or buying bella donna Sciarra few more hours and seducing the information out of her. Nice enough of him to give her Leiter's number. Don't need to add one more name in his women that checked out after sleeping with me list.

Boardroom scene is a new take on the whole secret boardroom meeting scene from the sixties. Glad to see everyone speaking in their native languages and not in english with accents. Like the mood in this room. Mendes apes the Joker scene from TDK with the Hinx introduction. Nothing wrong with that I guess.

Again people seem to have problem with the night car chase through Rome. Sue me, but I think it's enjoyable. The back and forth with Bond and Moneypenny doesn't bug me and the little bits of levity was welcome after mostly grim Skyfall. It was fun to have some of that old humour back, like with the old italian guy in the ricecup of a car, that Bond had to get out of his way.

I even like the soundtrack in this night time chase, even though I am one of the many who wants a new composer for the next one. I just think it works in this particular scene. Actually so far the soundtrack has been better than I remember. Even if not classic. At least it has no techno beats and isn'n as ear bleedingly loud as in some other movies that Newman is obviously ripping off*cough* Hanz Zimmer *cough* Nolan's Batman *cough*.

Don't have to turn down the volume.

Okay, next up Austria, White and what have you.