The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

Getafix wrote:
    But surely the point is that even when he's doing 'nothing' he makes it look so damn cool.

You must have a heart of ice!

Nah,he looks too at ease during the whole escapade,like he knows he is going to come out of it all on top .
    I would say he looks smug more than cool.

I prefer DC's approach to it so far,he plays the emotions brilliantly..

I'm not unhappy with DC's approach. But are you seriously saying Bond looks smug as the laser inches towards his crown jewels...? One of the definitive scenes in Bond history.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Getafix wrote:
    You must have a heart of ice!

If I may interrupt, a heart of ice is the last thing Barry has.

Thanks DD ,much appreciated my friend.

No,getafix,what throughout the whole film as that would be intolerable,but take for example the lazering of Fort Knox,when they pull the doors off and all the US soldiers are supposed to be dead.
    Connery looks as if he is on a picnic about to have a Pimms and lemonade in the back of the Truck.
    Is Bond not supposed to be unflappable?
    I'll have to rewatch it.

For me though one of the things that makes Bond who he is is the effortlessness of what he does. I suppose what you are describing is one of the things - for me - that defines the screen Bond. I think Connery captured that better than any other actor. His cat-like grace and predatory instincts. I'd argue it's also his insouciance that endeared him to so many.
    Is Bond not supposed to be unflappable?
    No i dont think he is....

You're not a fan of the pain face by any chance?
    No,and i know all about the pain face over the last 6 years on here...
    Probably! I have enjoyed all the actors who have played Bond. Connery was the ORIGINAL blue print for the screen Bond! So ? Whoever has followed has always referenced him and then brought their own interpretation to the charactor!
  • Connery was maybe the epitome of the original Fleming creation for his earliest appearances, Goldfinger however was, and is, a bit of a wet blanket, but Thunderball came out and Connery redeemed himself somewhat. Best Bond ever?, It's hard to argue not, certainly between 1962-65 the man really was the finished article at times, but once we get to You Only Live Twice area, Connery looks jaded and uninterested at times, he only came back for Diamonds because of an astronomical carrot of salary

Only Dalton comes close for me to what Fleming originally intended, Craig has shown flashes of it but still has something to prove one would think, Lazenby, hard to judge on the basis of one appearance, Moore was too comic effect more often than not and Brosnan for me only made one and a half very good Bond films out of his four appearances. Bottom line is Connery may well be the best Bond ever, he's not my favorite, but I put forward my basis on his earliest appearances, if he had continued as such after 1965 if possible until Moore took over and Goldfinger had been the Gem some mistakenly make it out to be, then perhaps Sean would have a credible case as being the Best 007 ever bar none

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Sean is the best Bond, but that default statement is proposterous.
    Kerim wrote:
    Sean is the best Bond, but that default statement is proposterous.
    I was just about to post this, when I read your post, @Kerim. I agree 100%.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Sean is the best Bond on any scale. Not by 'default', not because he was first, and not because there were no other Bonds to compare him to. He simply WAS Bond. He got the cold, ruthless, suave nature down to a tee, and led Bond to the success it now is 50 years later. Everything the man did was the essence of cool. Sean gave us DN, FRWL, GF, and TB, four brilliant outings back to back to back to back, and even if he left after 66 he still would've made enough of a mark on the history. He set the blueprint that all Bond actors should follow in his first 4 outings, instead of some of the messes we got. Sean just simply had it all, and partly made the character/films the big success they were. The best Bond that shalt ever rise. I bless you my friend, for eternity.
    129097260958615161.jpg ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 028</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7> <b>The clown suit in OP wasn't ridiculous, it served the plot very well.</b></font>
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Yes, I agree. Bond was identified, was being chased and needed to find a workable disguise in a pinch.
    I agree. It's wrongly criticised IMO.
    Yes agreed,although i was annoyed at the speed and accuracy of Bond putting on the make-up i agree that in the context of the film i couldnt really see any other way of Bond getting to the General in the tent.
    Its a very tense and good scene .
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Also agree. Bond does what he has to do to get the job done. He had already broke through security at the front gate of the base and needed to avoid the military security to get to the bomb. Dressing as a clown to blend in with the circus was a smart idea.

If Bond had to dress as a clown to save thousands of lives, then so be it.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I agree. What a tense sense it was. There will always be those who hate it though and can't get past the fact it's Bond (and Moore) dressed as a clown. What a shame, for them.
    i agree with this thesis! Was cleverly done but as already said? The quality make up was a push! in the time given! :)) Then again if he grew stubble? There would have been OUTRAGE on these forums from some people! =))
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 028</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7> <b>The clown suit in OP wasn't ridiculous, it served the plot very well.</b></font>

Agreed. It's never bothered me. Then again, Bond's going into space never bothered me either.

undercover is undercover.....
  • It's not so much Moore dressed as a clown I take issue with, it may well have been quite appropriate for that particular entry and certainly his swansong two years later, but there's this small matter of a flipping Bomb ticking away with time running out and instead of finding a more feasible way to get to warn people of it he takes all the time to put on a entire Clown 'fit with paints and all the works (it isn't specified how long it actually takes but I'm guessing it's not done in a second) in order to sneak into the tent and even then because of all that there's barely a second to spare when he does get to the general to make him aware, Point being maybe there could of been other options open to save time. Maybe it's getting late and I'm tired but that's how I feel about it
    The reason I love the scene is because of the wonderful irony of it all. Irony is something I dearly enjoy, which is why the Moore clown works well for me in his attempt to stop the bomb. Some people focus hard on the clown suit and say it renders the scene and the moment in the film ridiculous. Other people point out the tension of the moment and find the clown suit disturbing as part of that. I enjoy the mix-up of both. I especially enjoy the brilliant moment where Moore reveals himself as a British spy, with Barry's dark and thunderous doomsday music playing in the back. This is when I pump a fist and yell 'yeah!'. Only Moore - of course - can make this happen. Only the Moore Bond can fit into this picture and pull it off. But he does it, and it puts a smile on my face. Not from laughter, but because I actually feel genuine tension, even more so than during the air plane fight.

The time it takes Bond to fix the make-up and such, is - I agree - a bit iffy, borderline incredulous, as a luxury Bond would have with the countdown in mind. But it's a conceit I'm willing to give them because it properly leads to a satisfying conclusion.
    The final sequence of OP is one of my favourites in any Bond movie. Full of tension right up to the end and Roger acts it brilliantly.
    edited February 2012 Posts: 23,527
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 029</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7> <b>FRWL didn't need the SPECTRE boat battle at the end.</b></font>
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It needed it for the story but not for the action. The scene should have been handled another way in my opinion.
    Totally agree. The boat battle is the only duff part in the film and feels like it's there for the sake of having a large set-piece action sequence.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Honestly, the boat battle has never bothered me.

Thesis #29: Disagree.