Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,696
    Logan (2017)

Hands down the best super-hero film I've ever seen. Hugh Jackman gives the performance of a lifetime in his final outing as Wolverine. Patrick Stewart has never been better, the young actress playing the 3rd main character was phenomenal. The action was amazingly brutal and badass (makes 'Deadpool' look like a kid film). Wow, just wow. I have to see this film again as soon as possible. Hugh Jackman absolutely owned the screen for every second he appeared.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Logan (2017)

Hands down the best super-hero film I've ever seen. Hugh Jackman gives the performance of a lifetime in his final outing as Wolverine. Patrick Stewart has never been better, the young actress playing the 3rd main character was phenomenal. The action was amazingly brutal and badass (makes 'Deadpool' look like a kid film). Wow, just wow. I have to see this film again as soon as possible. Hugh Jackman absolutely owned the screen for every second he appeared.

Quoted for bluntly stated truth.

This film was phenomenal. I might end up seeing it again before Friday.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    You know, it's funny but whenever anyone mentions Logan now the Johnny Cash version of Hurt just automatically goes off in my mind.

That's really good subliminal advertising because the song is indelibly linked to the film for me, courtesy of a superb, moody trailer. It made an impact.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @doubleoego on the 'Bond' scale, Hugh Jackman in 'Logan' is right up there with Connery in DN and Craig in CR. I'm even tempted to rank him above these 2. I have never, absolutely never, seen such a mesmerizing and charismatic lead performance in a big budget blockbuster. Jackman in this film totally floored me from start to finish. I'm not one to care about these things, but Jesus Christ, someone give Hugh Jackman an Oscar.
    @doubleoego on the 'Bond' scale, Hugh Jackman in 'Logan' is right up there with Connery in DN and Craig in CR. I'm even tempted to rank him above these 2. I have never, absolutely never, seen such a mesmerizing and charismatic lead performance in a big budget blockbuster. Jackman in this film totally floored me from start to finish. I'm not one to care about these things, but Jesus Christ, someone give Hugh Jackman an Oscar.

Not sure if I'd rank Jackman in Logan higher than Connery and Craig, in fact I don't even want to think about because there's too much to assess but you're right, his performance was phenomenal. He and Patrick Stewart killed it and brought their A-game. Logan taking a beating, handing out beatings and brutal kills, to his frustrations with Charles and Laura and the hilarious moment where he starts attacking the car...this film didn't disappoint. I'm really excited at how good this film is because Jackman definitely deserved this win.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Logan (2017)

It premieres here today as well. I am up damn early in the morning, so this will have to wait until the weekend. Glad you guys loved it. Hopes are extremely high.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I should be seeing it this weekend. Can't wait.
    @doubleoego it's rare that even the dialogues in a superhero film stick with you, apart from the traditional one-liners.

- 'Do you have dreams?'
    - 'Yes.. with people that hurt me.'
    - 'Mine are different.'
    - 'Why?'
    - 'I'm the one who hurt people.'
    @doubleoego it's rare that even the dialogues in a superhero film stick with you, apart from the traditional one-liners.

- 'Do you have dreams?'
    - 'Yes.. with people that hurt me.'
    - 'Mine are different.'
    - 'Why?'
    - 'I'm the one who hurt people.'

Yeah there were some great lines in this film; especially from Patrick Stewart; but what I also love was how simple the film kept things but still managed to convey a great deal of significance. Nothing was wasted. It's hard to fully appreciate this film with just one viewing, particularly as a fan of the comicbook genre. If I wasn't going to the gym later today I'd definitely be at my second viewing.
    @doubleoego since we've both seen the film, I'll put it in spoiler tag:
    After Wolverine died, and the end credits started, the entire audience I was with was totally silent. They all stayed during the end credits, thinking there'd be a post-credit sequence to show he didn't really die. When no such scene happened, and the screen went black, and the lights turned on, everyone let out a loud 'Nooooo!'. Very, very emotional.
    @doubleoego since we've both seen the film, I'll put it in spoiler tag:
    After Wolverine died, and the end credits started, the entire audience I was with was totally silent. They all stayed during the end credits, thinking there'd be a post-credit sequence to show he didn't really die. When no such scene happened, and the screen went black, and the lights turned on, everyone let out a loud 'Nooooo!'. Very, very emotional.
    I had heard there wasn't an end credits scene so I didn't bother staying; and to be honest the way the film ended was good enough for me. Hearing Laura call Logan "Daddy" as he was dying and then after her little speech by his grave and then turning the cross over to an X was a great, sad but satisfying ending.
    Agreed, I read that there wouldn't be anything during the end credits, I just stayed on my seat to catch my breath! The film kept punching me in the gut every 5 minutes.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Fast And Furious 6 (2013)
    Not that i'm complaining, but these films have taken on a bit of a Mission: Impossible feel, with the action sequences. That runway though, must have gone on for miles.

1. Fast Five (2011)
    2. Fast & Furious 6 (2013)
    3. Fast & Furious (2009)
    4. 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)
    5. The Fast And The Furious (2001)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Fast And Furious 6 (2013)
    Not that i'm complaining, but these films have taken on a bit of a Mission: Impossible feel, with the action sequences. That runway though, must have gone on for miles.

runway-in-fast-and-the-furious-6_o_1546275.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    As memes go, that one is accurate.
    Second viewing of Logan (2017).

Absolutely stunning film. Hugh Jackman in this film is the very definition of badass. His performance here is basically what I imagined from Mel Gibson if he had starred in 'Fury Road', so thanks to this film, I no longer need another Mad Max film with Gibson. I also no longer need to picture in my head the what-if scenario of Timothy Dalton or Pierce Brosnan in a one-off film as a retired James Bond coming back for one final mission. Jackman just has a massive I-don't-give-a-shit attitude in this outing that would leave everyone speechless. This film features probably the best trio of lead actors I can think of, as alongside a mindblowing Jackman, we have splendid performances from Patrick Stewart and the young actress playing Laura. The film is full of pitch-perfect scenes, as even the quiet moment make you glued to the screen, whether from great dialogue, powerful music, or simply Jackman electrifying the screen just by standing there. After seeing John Wick 2 last week, I thought it'd be a very long time until an action film would wow me again. I've never been so wrong in my life, as it took only 7 days to see another of these films that is destined to become a Triple A certified classic.
    XMEN Days of Futures Past.

I was a little lost at the very end of the film, although I did enjoy it. I have just about got my head round it and where we are now?!!! :-t :))
  • RogueAgent wrote: »
    XMEN Days of Futures Past.

I was a little lost at the very end of the film, although I did enjoy it. I have just about got my head round it and where we are now?!!! :-t :))

Very good film, the continuity doesn't make any sense though.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,719
    BLAME IT ON RIO

6cad9c_7b830415310a45568ffff4bada971e9e~mv2.jpg

Stanley Donen made a few films that I really like, such as Singin' in the Rain, Funny Face and Charade. But 1984's Blame It On Rio is one naughty Donen film that's hard to forget, even if it isn't exactly a great artistic accomplishment. Forget the mostly failed attempts at comedy: a young Michelle Johnson (18 - 19 years old) strips naked almost half the film, trying to impress a 30 years older Michael Cane -- and that's the memorable part. Donen's camera isn't too subtle about showing Johnson's goods either, like we're not supposed to worry about the unsavoury age gap at all. As if gratuitous topless shots of the gorgeous miss Johnson aren't enough, one Demi Moore, playing Cane's daughter, also shows up at one point with less than two pieces of clothing covering her skin.

Now, if this were some kind of Lolita level drama I'd go along with it, but what happens here is almost pure exploitation. The story is pretty dull, the jokes don't work and the acting is at times disastrous. Demi Moore's husky voice is absolute horror. The only thing this film has going for it are Michelle Johnson's perfect C's. Not that I have a problem with that -- I mean, I don't, obviously :P -- but reading "a Stanley Donen film featuring Michael Cane" doesn't quite prepare you for a sex comedy which celebrates a girl having an affair with her dad's best friend. And in the absence of a good script and overall terrific performances, there aren't many other focal points for the viewer.

Whether one is rendered aroused or disgusted, Blame It On Rio is a film one is likely to always remember, but not for the right reasons...
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The Accountant, an above average action/thriller.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 3,333
    Logan has a pretty decent story for a superhero movie, though its influences are heavily drawn from the Western genre, notably The Cowboys with John Wayne, Eastwood westerns and of course Shane. I did feel it overly long and sagging in places, could've done with a trim for the cinema. I wouldn't go so far as to label it a masterpiece as that word has been thrown around so much recently it no longer has any validity, but it's an enjoyable enough ride to its ultimate conclusion. By the way, if you haven't seen The Cowboys, do yourself a favour and get familiar with it, as it has more of an emotional gut punch than Logan does. That's not to say Logan isn't good as it is, but it's just not up there with the likes of The Unforgiven nor John Wayne's The Shootist which this roughly also draws its inspiration from, especially the way Wayne's dying gunfighter spends his last days looking for a way to die with a minimum of pain and a maximum of dignity.
    @Birdleson, that's true. In some of her first movies, Audrey Hepburn was almost always romantically paired with older men. Bogart and Holden in Sabrina, Peck in Roman Holiday, Fred Astaire in Funny Face and Gary Cooper in Love In The Afternoon. Here's a lovely twenty-something who doesn't look a day older than 16, kissing a 50+ man, and the movies celebrate that as a romantic fairytale we should all hope for in our own lives.

Now, I myself am the product of a significant parental age gap and my own relationships almost always seem to involve a certain number of years between my love interest's age and my own, but 30 years feels slightly unsettling, even to me. That said, it doesn't necessarily shock or disgust me. The problem is that if the movie does little else but rub this age difference in our face while shying away from presenting an honest and somewhat complete study of the matter, I'm left slightly distraught or rather disappointed. I don't need a morality tale but it could be interesting to go for a deeper exploration of what such a relationship does to people. And one can still wrap it up in comedy or intrigue or tension or ... However, there's neither any serious tension in Blame It On Rio, nor is there any successful comedy -- though I admit that's highly subjective. The age gap just "is", and Michael Cane's character knows it, tries to fight it but fails every time Michelle Johnson flashes her amazing chest. I'll give the film straight A's for her straight C's, but an F for doing nothing with the contradictions and conflicts it sets up. It now feels like some soft-core stuff that middle-aged men can still safely "smuggle" in the household video collection, rather than the bitter-sweet drama film it could and probably should have been. It does plant the seeds for a more intricate character study but doesn't ever take it anywhere.

And so at the risk of sounding like a horndog or a sexist, the truth is that what I take away from Blame It On Rio is the juicy memory of Miss Johnson's barely legal boobs, and sadly nothing else.
    Note that it's the american remake of the french movie Un Moment d'Égarement, by Claude Berri. And Agns Soral had as little modesty as Michelle Johnson. Still, I do agree about Stanley Donen : it's a pity that his career ended on such a movie, after having been such a great director (if the question about who is the best between Donen and Minelli is ever asked, I will always side with Stanley Donen, no question). It's funny how so many great movie directors from the fifties/sixties had seemed to lose their magic touch when the eighties rolled on (For exemple, Richard Fleisher : from The Vikings to Red Sonja, it's a very long way to fall).
    Thanks for that information, @Gerard. I didn't know that. :) Blame It On Rio is essentially a remake then.
    Yes. And in France, it got another remake as well in 2015 (the original movie is from 1977). Why ? Beats me.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Resident Evil: The final Chapter. Basically more of the same, killing Zombies by the thousands
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Logan

While I don't agree that it's the greatest thing to ever happen, it is a really great film and a good end to Jackman's run as Wolverine. Such a shame we didn't get more Wolverine films like this one in the past.
    A Dashiel Hammett kind of afternoon -

The Glass Key [1941] - With Alan Ladd and the glorious Veronica lake in a mystery that tears apart relationships and friendships. A well plotted movie with great cinematography well worth your time.

The Maltese Falcon [1941] - Humphry Bogart as Sam Spade in the first Noir movie that is about greed and twists, a brilliant ensemble cast with some great mystery. The morality play in this movie is risque and pretty wild considering the days it was made in before morality was leashed in by the defenders of morality. Both movies as conceived by Hammett offers a different view as we have accepted of the '30 & '40's actually are portraited in the general movie fare.

• Blackhat (2015) Michael Mann can do this stuff in his sleep but it's still good to see a proper action thriller these days.
    Passengers

Many people issues with this film. Sure, it's not the greatest movie but I actually enjoyed it. Jennifer Lawrence was freakin' hot in this too.