Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    First Blood is an excellent action movie. Really well made. Only losing its footing with Stallones mumbled speech at the end!
    I'm afraid I must agree. The ending was a bit heavy handed for my tastes, although I'm sure most found it moving.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Professional Sweetheart (1933)
    prof-sweetheart.png
    Ginger Rogers, in her first leading role (released in the same year that Flying Down To Rio was), stars as radio star Glory Eden, forced by the radio to promote a pure lifestyle as The Purity Girl. Not her best film, but Ginger oozes charm, and that irresistible twinke in her eyes is on show throughout.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    MOONLIGHT (2016)

It was decent, good performances, etc., but it did seem to just follow predictable patterns. Like several other lauded films of the past year (HELL OR HIGH WATER, ARRIVAL), I was mildly entertained, but underwhelmed.

Wow I'm glad you share a similar opinion to mine on that film. Underwhelming for sure.

@Birdleson btw how do you feel about The Music Man (1962)?
    I find things to love about ALL the Rambo movies, even though I of course recognize that First Blood is the one with any intelligence and sense, lol

I watched Terminator 2 for the 9 billionth time today, and noticed something new: not sure if it was on purpose or just a plain coincidence, but during the scene where they go to Cyberdyne, Sarah is totally wearing Reese's trenchcoat from the first movie.

Kyle-Reese-trench-coat.jpgSarahs-trench-coat.jpg

The only reason I'm unsure if it was on purpose or not, is the fact that I can't figure out HOW she would have the coat! But, well look at the pics! What do you all think?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,561
    @Master_Dahark

She could have taken the coat from Enriqué's or gotten it from Dyson. I don't know anything more. She's obviously covering her sexy Fembo outfit in order not to look too suspiciously...

... when being given a tour with a ten year old and a walking fridge...

... after hours ...

"Carl, right?" [trembling voice]

Great act, guys. ;-)
    At least they didn't let Arnold do the talking =))
    Oldie but Goldie night here, so we caught “House of Bamboo” with Robert Ryan, Robert Stack, and Shirley Yamaguchi, with great scenes from 1955 Japan. I’ve always enjoyed Robert Stack, probably one of the best world class skeet and trap shooters of his day, and his deadpan Sam Spade style act was his on screen trademark. The trench coat and type hat reminded of Across the Pacific with Bogart in Across the Pacific another old favorite.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 3,336
    MOONLIGHT (2016)

It was decent, good performances, etc., but it did seem to just follow predictable patterns. Like several other lauded films of the past year (HELL OR HIGH WATER, ARRIVAL), I was mildly entertained, but underwhelmed.

I agree on Moonlight. I thought the performances, score and cinematography was very good, but the film felt kinda empty. A rehash of Boyhood in some ways.

Funny how Moonlight and Boyhood have very impressive Metascores. 99 and 100 respectively.
    I have no knowledge of what a metascore is, and I don't think I want to.

It's not a perfect rating system by any means.
    http://www.metacritic.com/about-metascores

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I watched Terminator 2 for the 9 billionth time today, and noticed something new: not sure if it was on purpose or just a plain coincidence, but during the scene where they go to Cyberdyne, Sarah is totally wearing Reese's trenchcoat from the first movie.

Kyle-Reese-trench-coat.jpgSarahs-trench-coat.jpg

The only reason I'm unsure if it was on purpose or not, is the fact that I can't figure out HOW she would have the coat! But, well look at the pics! What do you all think?

Nice catch! I never noticed that before. I doubt it's supposed to be Kyle's but I'm sure they got a similar coat on purpose.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Kong: Skull Island (2017)

This is a 100% certified pure epic adventure/monster film. Probably one of the most fun blockbuster in years. Fantastic cast - Samuel L Jackson, John Goodman, Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson - , a killer soundtrack, very impressive CGI, non-stop action mixed with a fair deal of humour. And the action scenes were properly insane. For anyone looking for a mindless, super fun, epic adventure film, this is it.

Please do stay for the whole end credits, there is a scene at the very last moment of it. I was the only person in my audience who stayed until the end, and it was worth it.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Kong: Skull Island (2017)

This is a 100% certified pure epic adventure/monster film. Probably one of the most fun blockbuster in years. Fantastic cast - Samuel L Jackson, John Goodman, Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson - , a killer soundtrack, very impressive CGI, non-stop action mixed with a fair deal of humour. And the action scenes were properly insane. For anyone looking for a mindless, super fun, epic adventure film, this is it.

Please do stay for the whole end credits, there is a scene at the very last moment of it. I was the only person in my audience who stayed until the end, and it was worth it.

I'm glad to hear it was good. The trailers looked good but trailers can be deceiving for a movie like this. Thanks for the heads up about the end credits scene. I would've probably left without knowing there was one. I'll check it out tomorrow night or Friday afternoon.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Damn, @Master_Dahark, I never noticed that! Can I assume you'll be checking out the remastered re-release of the film in theaters this year?
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 12,271
    Inland Empire (2006). So-so latest film offering from David Lynch, a director who has really been a mixed bag for me. Finally though, I can rank the director's work:

10. Wild at Heart (1990)
    Didn't care for Wild at Heart much at all. Characters, story, direction, etc. - none of it really worked for me. Oh well.
    9. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992)
    Another Lynch film I didn't really like. Both #10 and #9 just didn't grab my attention enough, and had few elements I found appealing at all. Of course, I should mention I have not seen the Twin Peaks TV series. I put this above Wild at Heart because the first half hour or so was somewhat enjoyable.
    8. Dune (1984)
    Dune rounds out my bottom 3 Lynch films - all movies I could completely do without unfortunately. This one just felt kind of dull and Lynch was really out of his element here - in a bad way. I liked Patrick Stewart, and a couple scenes. Blah overall though, like the last two.
    7. Inland Empire (2006)
    It's too long and far from a favorite, but Inland Empire undoubtedly has Lynch's signature style all over it, and that helps put it above my bottom tier. It's too similar to Mulholland Drive IMO, but it still has several moments that make it interesting at least.
    6. Lost Highway (1997)
    I think Lost Highway is the most frustrating Lynch film for me. It has a lot of great ideas and moments, but the film's execution is really a mixed bag. Not bad, but some questionable decisions keep it far from greatness.
    5. Mulholland Drive (2001)
    I like Mulholland Drive alright, but I think it's easily Lynch's most overrated film. Still, it earns its place in the Top 5 due to great performances, good mystery, and lots of memorable, good scenes.
    4. Eraserhead (1977)
    Lynch's first film is one of his best and most memorable to me, and though it's extremely bizarre and disturbing, it's a really unique experience. It might be better not to watch if you're easily spooked. It's scary and dark the whole way, and it remains a one-of-a-kind movie.
    3. Blue Velvet (1986)
    Blue Velvet is likely the best film to introduce someone to Lynch, because it's dark, disturbing, and crazy, but also grounded in reality, resulting in a high-quality blend. Great acting, story, and direction make Blue Velvet one of Lynch's best films.
    2. The Straight Story (1999)
    It might seem strange or dumb to put the most anti-Lynch Lynch film at the #2, spot, but The Straight Story is just such a great, reflective film. Richard Farnsworth gives a wonderful final performance as the lead, and the scenes with his character interacting with strangers throughout his journey are just so well done. It's slow and quite normal, but it's a very good film.
    1. The Elephant Man (1980)
    I have to pick out The Elephant Man as Lynch's masterpiece. John Hurt and Anthony Hopkins are perfect as the main two characters, and the rest of the cast also delivers great performances. The story is tragic and moving. Certainly a great film I think any film-lover can enjoy.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    LOGAN

I may write more soon - a bit short on time now - but WOW! Truly amazing film. Seriously, this is a different brand of X-genius. Well acted, in a fabulous story, with a few perfect geek-out moments and an amazingly effective score. This film is built on restraint. It completely abandons the "we need an action scene every 10 minutes" formula. A gritty, mature, dramatic film. I was in awe.

X2 will still remain my favourite X-Men film and First Class is probably the best X-Men film. But LOGAN is without a doubt the very best by-product of the X-universe and most likely, unless Wonder Woman kicks a lot of ass, the best superhero film of the year. In fact, it's arguably not a superhero film but a superantihero film.

My girlfriend, who had never received any formal introduction to the X-Men world, neither through films or comics, sat perplexed when the film was over and could utter but one word: "wow!". You're not going to see the best spectacle you'll ever have seen, but the emotional content, the deep character studies and the near perfect acting (including young Dafne Keen's performance) make this one hell of a surprise.

Highly recommended.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 12,271
    Whiplash (2014) and Harold and Maude (1971). Great double feature!!!
    Kong:Skull Island was another disappointing experience for me. The constant use of rock songs as background music reminded me of last year's vacuous Suicide Squad, and not in a good way either. The story was paper thin, basically it's the same segment of story used in the original and Peter Jackson's version whereby Kong versus giant reptiles with a lot of gun play from the humans caught up in-between, retold and regurgitated with US marines post-Vietnam substituting the film crew. Tom Hiddleston was disappointing in his lead role, too. A big, steaming pile of monkey poo.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    LOGAN

I may write more soon - a bit short on time now - but WOW! Truly amazing film. Seriously, this is a different brand of X-genius. Well acted, in a fabulous story, with a few perfect geek-out moments and an amazingly effective score. This film is built on restraint. It completely abandons the "we need an action scene every 10 minutes" formula. A gritty, mature, dramatic film. I was in awe.

X2 will still remain my favourite X-Men film and First Class is probably the best X-Men film. But LOGAN is without a doubt the very best by-product of the X-universe and most likely, unless Wonder Woman kicks a lot of ass, the best superhero film of the year. In fact, it's arguably not a superhero film but a superantihero film.

My girlfriend, who had never received any formal introduction to the X-Men world, neither through films or comics, sat perplexed when the film was over and could utter but one word: "wow!". You're not going to see the best spectacle you'll ever have seen, but the emotional content, the deep character studies and the near perfect acting (including young Dafne Keen's performance) make this one hell of a surprise.

Highly recommended.

Saw this last night and agree with all above. Patrick Stewart was Oscar standard IMHO. The black mark for me was the casting of Richard E Grant - all the threat of a Rich Tea finger.

Tron Legacy first time watch on BD, had no idea the IMAX sequences were kept in some impressive visuals.
    Have anybody seen The Train (1964) and Seven Days In May (1964)? And are they any good?
    So, a Frankenheimer, Lancaster fest? Both classics IMHO and from an era when movies took their time to build up the drama and the tension. Lancaster still does not get the credit he should do as a fine a flexible actor with star quality but something a little scary underneath. Watched Field of Dreams last week and he has a wonderful gentle quality about him, same in Local Hero,
    hope you enjoy them both, please let us know....
    Thanks for the reply.
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    Took in Doctor Strange last night.... Enjoyed it. Cumberbatch is spot-on as Strange and Ejiofer made his character more than I think other actors could have - Bond villain Mikkelsen was as strong as always. One of the better character archs for a Marvel movie and some nice moments of humor sprinkled in throughout; a bit paint-by-numbers plotwise while containing very unique effects. Overall a nice entry into the MCU.
    Meet Joe Black - 1998

I know many think this movie is too long and it had some dreadful reviews but I like it. I'm happy to sit through "slow" movies if there is good acting, directing etc plus it's a bold move: to make a mainstream hollywood movie about death and all the things that come with it. With Pitt and Hopkins in fine form, I could have taken another half an hour but I know I'm in the small minority.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 2,080
    Raging Bull (1980)

Finally got around to watching this one after it sat in my watch list for a bit. The first time that Scorcesse and DeNiro worked with Joe Pesci. The boxing scenes are so good, and realistic. You feel each time somebody gets hit, and I love the close up shots where you can clearly see the blood flying out of these boxers faces. The best scene for me was either the scene where he slaps his wife then kicks the crap out of Joe Pesci, or the scene where he is in the jail cell punching and head butting the wall. Overall I put this alongside Goodfellas, and hopefully going to looking at more Scorcesse movies soon
    Raging Bull (1980)

Finally got around to watching this one after it sat in my watch list for a bit. The first time that Scorcesse and DeNiro worked with Joe Pesci. The boxing scenes are so good, and realistic. You feel each time somebody gets hit, and I love the close up shots where you can clearly see the blood flying out of these boxers faces. The best scene for me was either the scene where he slaps his wife then kicks the crap out of Joe Pesci, or the scene where he is in the jail cell punching and head butting the wall. Overall I put this alongside Goodfellas, and hopefully going to looking at more Scorcesse movies soon

Definitely a classic. Must-see for all film lovers.
    12 minutes in and I don't think I like this LA LA LAND. I'll hang in for another 15, if it doesn't turn around by then I'm bailing.

Shame. At least we agree on Lynch I suppose.
    I'm at 28 minutes. I'm hanging in for now, but I think it's aimed more at people who aren't into musicals.

Maybe. I think it keeps getting better; the only part I didn't like actually was the opening. Hope it gets better for you.
    Night of the Hunter (1955); good stuff.
    Great stuff.

Nvm your post is more accurate
    :)) it really is. I need to buy this one.