Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @j_w_pepper, granted. I think the point is that the car itself (whether it's identical or not) associated with James Bond (and by reference to the first iconic appearance in GF) has been with us for 50+ years.

GBF wrote: »
    Ok maybe this is controversial:

Even though the DB5 is my favourite Bond car, I find that the Lotus Esprit transforming into a submarine is the most memorable car scene in the Bond franchise.....
    +1, and actually the Lotus is my favourite.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Would have been cool to see one more lotus chase
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Not to mention TB, GE, TND and CR.
    Well, not trying to be a spoilsport, but only the ones in GF and TB were the "real thing" (registration BMT216A, with the full set of gadgets), and the car in SF was to make us believe it was, though even the "GB" sign on the trunk (boot) lid is different.

But the DB5 in GE and TND had registration BMT214A, showed no indication of having machine guns and the like, and in TND was only shown parked outside Oxford University during Bond's brushing-up exercise. If that counts as iconic, may I point out that it was also iconically presented in that satellite surveillance film at the end of TWINE.

And the car Bond won from Dimitrios in CR is an entirely different one anyway, cf. left-hand steering.

No,Bond was seen driving it as well...

• TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    edited March 2017 Posts: 127
    suavejmf wrote: »
    More generations have seen the DB5. For example if you'd asked any of Grandparents what film the Delorian was from.....not a clue. But the DB5 was recognisable instantly. The fact is more people in the world have seen a Bond film than BTTF. That's not my opinion, that is a fact.
    My grandparents absolutely know what the DeLorean is and what's it's from though. I'm sure many others know it too. BTTF was and still very much is a really big phenomenon after all. I think a lot of people around here are underestimating just how popular it is.

• RC7RC7
    More generations have seen the DB5. For example if you'd asked any of Grandparents what film the Delorian was from.....not a clue. But the DB5 was recognisable instantly. The fact is more people in the world have seen a Bond film than BTTF. That's not my opinion, that is a fact.
    My grandparents absolutely know what the DeLorean is and what's it's from though. I'm sure many others know it to. BTTF was and still very much is a really big phenomenon after all.

Not close to Bond, however. Not close at all.
    RC7 wrote: »
    My grandparents absolutely know what the DeLorean is and what's it's from though. I'm sure many others know it to. BTTF was and still very much is a really big phenomenon after all.

It's probably closer than you think. It's not Bond, sure, but it's up there.

• RC7RC7
    edited March 2017 Posts: 10,512

As cultural phenomenons go Bond is up there with SW and Harry Potter, BTTF just isn't on that tier. The former three are transcendent in a way BTTF isn't (although I'm not denying its significant cultural impact). We can debate until the cows come home what tier it's actually on, but it's certainly not top table.
  • Though they are good damn Bond films, if the Dalton pictures had amped up the sex and violence, they'd have been much more successful.
    Though they are good damn Bond films, if the Dalton pictures had amped up the sex and violence, they'd have been much more successful.
    I think LTK was quite violent for its time. I agree that more sex would have been appreciated, and as I've stated before here, better Bond girls all round. Tim could have used a comb in LTK as well.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The best known car in the world is the 1928 Mixwell.

donald-duck.jpg
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    The only reason I might say that the DMC D1 is more recognizable than the DB5 is because of the extra "time travel" stuff attached to the back. Someone who's never even seen BTTF could look at the distinctive extras on the car and say, "I think it's that car from that Back to the Future movie." Someone who doesn't know squat about Bond would likely look at the DB5 and just think, "Oh, that's a pretty looking old car." That said, the DB5 deserves to be more famous than that piece of junk that was passed off as a sports car.
    It's ironic that they used a Delorean for that film. The car was actually a complete failure. John DeLorean ruined himself with the project. It would have been long forgotten if not for BTTF.
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's ironic that they used a Delorean for that film. The car was actually a complete failure. John DeLorean ruined himself with the project. It would have been long forgotten if not for BTTF.

I think it was a joke by the film makers

Exactly. I love the looks of it, but I can't respect a so called "sports car" that does 0-60 in 10.5 seconds. There were cars that could out do that in the 50's. What a waste of Lotus suspension. Reminds me of when Lotus did the suspension for the Isuzu Stylus. What were they thinking?
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere

@j_w_pepper, granted. I think the point is that the car itself (whether it's identical or not) associated with James Bond (and by reference to the first iconic appearance in GF) has been with us for 50+ years.
    Thanks, @BondJames!

edited March 2017 Posts: 127

Exactly. I love the looks of it, but I can't respect a so called "sports car" that does 0-60 in 10.5 seconds. There were cars that could out do that in the 50's. What a waste of Lotus suspension. Reminds me of when Lotus did the suspension for the Isuzu Stylus. What were they thinking?
    Nonsense. According to the film that car was able to hit 88mph doing doughnuts in a Mall Parking lot and is capable of time travel given a few tweaks. And plutonium. And at one point it even ran on trash.Refueling-doc-brown-trash-back-to-the-future-tank-phoenix-arizona-valley.jpg

And yes the film is scientifically accurate in the Delorean's capabilities. They just never made more because the car was perfect the first time. Obviously. No failures there.

I think it was a joke by the film makers

I thought so too. Does they not make a point of questioning why of all cars he'd choose a Delorean in the first one? Right after it's revealed. Or maybe I'm remembering wrong.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Wasn't it because it looked like a space ship with it's gull wing doors? Doc mentions choosing it. "If you're going to make a time machine, why not do it with some style!"
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    He simply couldn't afford a DB5, even in 1985.
    If they wanted a gullwing, they should have gone with the original & greatest one. The legendary Benz 300sl.
    1Ij7Yam.jpg
    If they wanted a gullwing, they should have gone with the original & greatest one. The legendary Benz 300sl.
    1Ij7Yam.jpg

+1
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    This is again going off topic. Let's get it back on track please.
    1Ij7Yam.jpg

A beautiful car, but I think too old fashioned for BTTF. They needed something with high tech, futuristic looks, which they certainly did get with the Delorean. If I were to pick a different car, I'd go for the obscure, but awesome, Bricklin SV-1;

5a6235c6358378ba020d901b7bbed135.jpg
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Other suggestions: not enough storage room, head room. Room for Christopher Lloyd's head! The DeLorean's shortcomings actually play into the mad scientist element to things. And I'm not a big BBTF follower.

For the Lotus, it's a beautifully iconic Bond vehicle, I love it. But design- and maintenance-wise it was as poor as the Delorean. Film magic going on.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Looks like I once again have to remind people to stay on topic. Discussion of the Delorean from BTTF is valid, (as it's one of the best movies) however not in the Controversial opinions about Bond films. Even if it was called the most famous car in the world at the Oscars several days ago.
    Back to Bond controversies please.
    I like license to kill what does the community think
    I like license to kill what does the community think

Most like it, I don't. I do like the PTS, the tanker chase, and the final fight between Bond and Sanchez, but the rest I find dull and lacking the style and class befitting a Bond film.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

As cultural phenomenons go Bond is up there with SW and Harry Potter, BTTF just isn't on that tier. The former three are transcendent in a way BTTF isn't (although I'm not denying its significant cultural impact). We can debate until the cows come home what tier it's actually on, but it's certainly not top table.

+100
  • GamesBond007GamesBond007 Golden Grotto
    Here I go...

1. Blofeld is actually one of the weaker villains in the series

2. Octopussy is probably the most offensive Bond film. OP isn't just self aware and ridiculous like DAD, it's borderline slapstick (still enjoy it though)

3. "Nobody Does It Better" by Carly Simon marked a string of not very good theme songs until AVTAK

4. The pre-titles in TSWLM feature the weakest ski sequence of the entire series (but features one of the finest stunts to cap it off)

5. The Brosnan era is better than the Dalton era

6. Major Anya Amasova is reduced to a grouchy sibling not only in the script but also by Barbara Bach's one note performance

7. Elektra King is the best villain in the entire series

I will try to think of more over the coming days.
  • Here I go...

1. Blofeld is actually one of the weaker villains in the series

Agree to an extent. Telly's Blofeld is among the series' best, but Pleasance's, while being perfectly adequately kooky and just fine for the film he's in, is not. Meanwhile, Gray's is among my least favorites, FYEO's is perfectly embarrassing, and Waltz's is dishwater on film. Telly aside, there are many more interesting villains throughout the series. Pound for pound, Blofeld is probably one of the weaker villains put to film.
    2. Octopussy is probably the most offensive Bond film. OP isn't just self aware and ridiculous like DAD, it's borderline slapstick (still enjoy it though)

Not entirely sure what you mean by offensive. I like Octopussy though, and yes I also wish slapstick elements like the tuk-tuk chase and the Tarzan yell were not included in the package.
    3. "Nobody Does It Better" by Carly Simon marked a string of not very good theme songs until AVTAK

I understand the popularity of Nobody Does It Better, but it's never done much for me and it doesn't strike me as a particularly great Bond song. The lyrics go nicely with both the film and the titles, however. Moonraker is certainly not as good as Goldfinger or Diamonds, but it works for the titles and I do actually like it. It's definitely on the tepid side, though. For Your Eyes Only I used to like more than I do now. It's okay. All Time High is a bit underrated in my opinion, but I guess I can understand why some don't like it. A View to a Kill is definitely in another league entirely, so I can see where you're coming from.
    4. The pre-titles in TSWLM feature the weakest ski sequence of the entire series (but features one of the finest stunts to cap it off)

I was about to say "Yuuup!" and then I remembered A View to a Kill's PTS. I'd say they're about on par with being the weakest, but the stunt absolutely turns things around at the end for Spy.
    5. The Brosnan era is better than the Dalton era

In my opinion, yes. Others will disagree.
    6. Major Anya Amasova is reduced to a grouchy sibling not only in the script but also by Barbara Bach's one note performance

I'm not sure I've ever picked up on a "grouchy sibling" vibe, but she is kind of grating and about as animated as the surface of a wooden table.
    7. Elektra King is the best villain in the entire series

Actually, yes, that's one I can fully get behind. She's definitely top three. Push come to shove, I'd probably place her as my favorite.

We seem to agree on quite a few of these actually. Still, I do think they're fairly controversial opinions. One or two aside.