Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

He has some good moments in AVTAK but again it's an example where I feel there's too much Roger and not enough Bond.

Even played straight after OP, Roger's suave act feels like it's wearing thin (the PTS in the ice burg sub).
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    All this NSNA talk reminds of another potentially controversial opinion, but I really think Connery gives a superior and more energetic performance in that movie than he does in either YOLT or DAF.

NSNA doesn't really deserve all the flak it gets and more (Moore?) Connery as Bond can never be a bad thing. EON or not.

So, to all the NSNA hate:VillainousAfraidClumber.gif

Well said. I've always loved NSNA. Much of the flak NSNA receives has been repeated in later films, especially in the Craig era. I agree Sean is far more engaged in the part here than in YOLT or DAF. That 12 year break really charged his batteries, and he's great as a retired Bond who can bed one lady, be chased by sharks underwater, then bed another moments later. He's the man!

+1.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    He has some good moments in AVTAK but again it's an example where I feel there's too much Roger and not enough Bond.

Heh I feel the opposite. I feel there's too much Roger and not enough Bond in LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM and MR. If John Glen contributed anything to the series, it would be putting Bond at the centre of his films.

I'd say that was true in FYEO and OP where Rog seemed a bit more focused on the mission at hand (leading Columbo's men at the end of FYEO, interrogating Orlov and racing to the circus in OP). By AVTAK though I just felt there were too many moments when he was himself again.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Doing my own Bondathon and just finished the excellent FYEO and OP. I realize I really enjoy older Moore than younger. IMO he was far more interesting and enjoyable to watch, at least in the above mentioned films. Plus the relationship with Maude Adams was one of the best played in the series (another controversial opinion!).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Another one:

I think The Living Daylights is one of Barry's finest works.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Anybody else love the part when Daniel Craig decides to walk off screen after the gun barrel in qos i know pretty sure it's the only time
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Another one:

For me, not controversial at all. Spot on.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 10,588
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Another one:

It elevates the film to unbelievable heights. The way he incorporates Aha's theme along with The Pretenders' If There was a Man and Where has Everybody Gone is clever and gives the film and strong, recurring motif.

Some of my favorites:

• TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    peter wrote: »
    Doing my own Bondathon and just finished the excellent FYEO and OP. I realize I really enjoy older Moore than younger. IMO he was far more interesting and enjoyable to watch, at least in the above mentioned films. Plus the relationship with Maude Adams was one of the best played in the series (another controversial opinion!).
    It's the opposite for me. IMO Rog was at his best during his initial three films, and yes that includes TMWTGG. In Moonraker he started falling a little too much into self-parody, in FYEO he feels out of place with the tone, and in AVTAK he just looks waaaay too old and literally has nothing else to bring to the table that hasn't shown up in the previous 6 films.

I leave Octopussy out of that because I think it's a strong return to form for him. While there may be a little too many groans with Tarzan yells and what not, it feels like a blend of seriousness and camp that's perfectly suited for his portrayal and that worked in his first three films, TSWLM especially.

OP is a brilliant film,personally i think its Sir Roger's best..
    Another one:

+1

that movie is all kinds of amazing
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Daniel Craig is poor when you remove him from intense Bond, when directors attempt to give him unnecessary emotional depth that's on the surface it does not work. Craig started of as a bad ass God Dam it

I am going to be brutality honest, when Craigs Bond is a killing machine it worked, try to give Craig personality it fails. Reason why the last two films fail, they lost site of Craig's killer edge.
    When u watching the oscars

And they say they are bringing out the most cinematically famous car and Your like

Db5
    It has to be the db5
    Theirs no question.... db5
    Then they bring out the car from back to the future and u like bull shit
  • When u watching the oscars

And they say they are bringing out the most cinematically famous car and Your like

Db5
    It has to be the db5
    Theirs no question.... db5
    Then they bring out the car from back to the future and u like bull shit

Haha. The Aston Martin was actually the first thing that came to mind when they said that. Somehow I knew it was going to be something else, but I couldn't for the life of me imagine what.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 1,009
    Want to read something controversial? Here it goes: I didn't know Ken Adam died until right now, hearing the Oscars on the radio.

As a fan, I feel ashamed of myself.
    I thought he died in 2015
  • I'm glad Adam was included—one of the first names to appear, too.

Really surprised that there was no mention of David Bowie considering how involved in film he's been, from acting to writing and performing music.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 1,009
    I'm glad Adam was included—one of the first names to appear, too.

Really surprised that there was no mention of David Bowie considering how involved in film he's been, from acting to writing and performing music.

He was included last year, just in time.

Did they include Al Jarreau, by chance?
  • Gotcha. I don't think Al Jarreau was included. Could be wrong.
  • Gotcha. I don't think Al Jarreau was included. Could be wrong.

Awww... Too bad. I love his music.
  • GBFGBF
    Another one:

+1

that movie is all kinds of amazing

Absolutely... The score is very well used in the film and even the 80s synthesizers do not sound dated .... The PTS is so much more energetic because of the score. I also like the use of "Where has everybody gone?" as Necros's track and "If there was a man" to signal the romance between Bond and Kara.. The latter isn't just a schmalzy balad but really has some melancholic elements which in my eyes perfectly refelct the complications and inbalances in their relationship.... The use reoccuring motives (e.g. with regard to some characters) has never been made as well by any of the other Bond composers.

And I really love the use of the a-ha track when the plain takes off. Unfortunately it is the only time this track is used in the film (as far I remember correctly).
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited February 2017 Posts: 299
    I always liked OP as a kid, although I never ranked it very highly. However, re-watching it recently and reading all the positives that have been pointed on here has definitely furthered my appreciation for it and made me realise that, once you take away the obvious silly moments, its actually a pretty great Moore adventure. I think it has one of the strongest final acts in the series (with some excellent tension and stunts), which is great seeing as so many Bond films usually run out of steam towards the end.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    Exactly. It's interesting that the last few times I've watched it, I've thought that this is probably the moment I lose appreciation for OP because I just can't get passed the gags and silliness. But as soon as Bond reaches Germany - and despite the gags - the build up pays off tenfold. Not only that, the tension continues to escalate and I don't believe a countdown has ever been that intense, save for maybe the PTS in TND. Beautifully executed.

It's great to see the film get so much love on here, and deservedly so. The countdown is the most tense one for me too, even with it taking place in a circus and Bond being dressed up as a clown, its amazing work.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Another one:

+1.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd like to watch the Craig GB's in a row
    NSGW wrote: »
    Exactly. It's interesting that the last few times I've watched it, I've thought that this is probably the moment I lose appreciation for OP because I just can't get passed the gags and silliness. But as soon as Bond reaches Germany - and despite the gags - the build up pays off tenfold. Not only that, the tension continues to escalate and I don't believe a countdown has ever been that intense, save for maybe the PTS in TND. Beautifully executed.

It's great to see the film get so much love on here, and deservedly so. The countdown is the most tense one for me too, even with it taking place in a circus and Bond being dressed up as a clown, its amazing work.

Incredibly happy to see I'm not the only one. I love OP, and always found the bomb defusal sequence (from Bond racing to get back to the circus to the defusal itself) to be one of the more intense moments in the series; him being dressed as a clown is irrelevant and doesn't take away from that for me.
    Bond disguised as a clown adds to the scene. The tension is palpable - no one takes him seriously because of it, aided by Moore playing it straight.

Exactly! His disguise is part of what makes the scene so tense. The general thinks he's a joke. I still maintain OP features one of Roger's best Bond performances.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I watched it yesterday and it's true - there is a certain uncharacteristic desperate hurriedness and panic to the normally unflappable Moore during that entire sequence which adds to the tension - from the forearm jerk to the kids in the car who wouldn't give him a ride, to his "Damn it! Let go! Let me go, there's a bomb in 'ere!". Great stuff.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited February 2017 Posts: 6,829
    I want to give a shout-out to John Moreno's Ferrara. One of the most likeable allies in the franchise. At least he got mentioned again in a very memorable pay-off.
  • GBFGBF
    Ah yes, a John Glen staple: the likeable ally that plays the sacrificial lamb... Ferrara, Vijay, Tibbett, Saunders and then Sharky.

Save for Sharky and maybe Vijay, they were quite effective.

And if you also add Chuck Lee, all the killed 00s, Della, Lisl and half of Leiter you realise that Glen was quite in favour of letting the allies bleed.... :-)
  • GBFGBF
    I actually like that.... Killing some allies makes the villains more menacing ....

It is quite effective if one of the good guys dies... especially if he was likeable....