Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Controversial: OP has the most realistic, and one of the most suspenseful, plots.

I'll give you plot, but certainly not realistic in execution (Tarzan yell, Octopussy's acrobats assault on Khan, "Sit", Bed of nails, etc).

Bond checking a fake watch in a Gorrilla suit when millions of lives are at stake. Daft and ruined the tension.

I thought it was a real watch.

Ha ha. It wasn't. But either way it ruined the tension of the scene. He risked getting caught for a joke!!!

Wow, that is rich. I also assumed he had a watch on. Risking the lives of thousands of people, just so he could get a slight bit of humor out of his own joke. Love it.

Exactly. OP is generally a decent Bond film. But certain overt humour in the wrong place kills the tension and tone of otherwise serious plot points.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Controversial: OP has the most realistic, and one of the most suspenseful, plots.

I'll give you plot, but certainly not realistic in execution (Tarzan yell, Octopussy's acrobats assault on Khan, "Sit", Bed of nails, etc).

Bond checking a fake watch in a Gorrilla suit when millions of lives are at stake. Daft and ruined the tension.

Ha ha. It wasn't. But either way it ruined the tension of the scene. He risked getting caught for a joke!!!

Wow, that is rich. I also assumed he had a watch on. Risking the lives of thousands of people, just so he could get a slight bit of humor out of his own joke. Love it.

Exactly. OP is generally a decent Bond film. But certain overt humour in the wrong place kills the tension and tone of otherwise serious plot points.

This is why seeing TLD at the cinema was such a breath of fresh air and felt like a new beginning for Bond movies. There was none of those silly moments to ruin the tension.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,844

I think you might be reading the scene wrong. When Kamal mentions the time, Bond is so focused on the implications of what he's discovering that he for a moment forgets he's wearing a gorilla suit and instinctively glances at his wrist to clock the time, which will be important to know. Instantly realizing he is in fact wearing the gorilla suit, he immediately snaps to. Bond is fully serious in the scene, as Roger is throughout much of Octopussy in fact. The humor is intended fully for the audience and made all the more profound by how serious Bond is and how completely absurd the concept of the gorilla disguise is. It works brilliantly and is one of my favorite comedic moments of the entire series, perhaps rivaled only by the expressions on Khan's and Gobinda's faces when their engine fails to start the first time outside the circus. There is some dumb humor in Octopussy, yes, but there is brilliant humor as well.
  • suavejmf wrote: »

I think you might be reading the scene wrong. When Kamal mentions the time, Bond is so focused on the implications of what he's discovering that he for a moment forgets he's wearing a gorilla suit and instinctively glances at his wrist to clock the time, which will be important to know. Instantly realizing he is in fact wearing the gorilla suit, he immediately snaps to. Bond is fully serious in the scene, as Roger is throughout much of Octopussy in fact. The humor is intended fully for the audience and made all the more profound by how serious Bond is and how completely absurd the concept of the gorilla disguise is. It works brilliantly and is one of my favorite comedic moments of the entire series, perhaps rivaled only by the expressions on Khan's and Gobinda's faces when their engine fails to start the first time outside the circus. There is some dumb humor in Octopussy, yes, but there is brilliant humor as well.

I liked that moment too.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

I think you might be on to something. I like overt humor in Bond films, but I find that my appreciation for OP has grown as I've realized how serious it can be at times. One thing I've noticed with Moore's Bond is that, while he can be the most campy by far, he can also play a very serious Bond as well. We see a few good examples of this in OP, but I think the best example is Bond's conversation with Scaramanga in TMWTGG at the dinner table;

Scaramanga; "To us, Mr Bond. We are the best."

Bond; "There's a useful four-letter word, and you're full of it. When l kill it's under specific orders of my government. And those l kill are themselves killers."

Scaramanga; "Come, come, Mr Bond. You disappoint me. You get as much fulfilment out of killing as l do. Admit it."

Bond; "l admit killing you would be a pleasure."

And this is from what could be conceivably called the campiest film in the series.
  • I have a soft spot for AVTAK.

I would argue that the home invasion scene, replete with geriatric Bond cooking a quiche, performing household chores and blasting away some inept goons with rock salt makes far more narrative sense than Craig's Bond dragging M to his remote family estate so Silva and thirty henchmen can have a good, solid crack at him.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

But he does risk his own life during the jungle chase, giving up his location because he just has to let out that Weissmuller yell.

I bet Roger s Bond watched a lot of Tarzan movies as a kid, and thought to himself "I can t believe it! I am finally living my childhood dream! What the hell, screw it..."
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883

I think you might be on to something. I like overt humor in Bond films, but I find that my appreciation for OP has grown as I've realized how serious it can be at times. One thing I've noticed with Moore's Bond is that, while he can be the most campy by far, he can also play a very serious Bond as well. We see a few good examples of this in OP, but I think the best example is Bond's conversation with Scaramanga in TMWTGG at the dinner table;

Bond; "There's a useful four-letter word, and you're full of it. When l kill it's under specific orders of my government. And those l kill are themselves killers."

Scaramanga; "Come, come, Mr Bond. You disappoint me. You get as much fulfilment out of killing as l do. Admit it."

And this is from what could be conceivably called the campiest film in the series.
    I fully agree. Moore was a master at giving us the humour and the seriousness in the same film without destroying the tone. I don't think he put a foot wrong in terms of his delivery in any of his films. They were all tonally balanced (no matter what tone they were going for).

The only time I felt he may have been laying it on too thick (as I've mentioned many times before) is when he's initially chatting up Stacy in AVTAK, and I always have to pause and realize that he's Moore acting as Bond in disguise as the odious St. John Smythe, not just Moore as Bond.

Oh, and OP is a class act, all the way down to the watch thing. Near perfection imho. I just didn't like the comedy finale with all the Octopussy girls doing their circus act with buffoon Q.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    bondjames wrote: »

I fully agree. Moore was a master at giving us the humour and the seriousness in the same film without destroying the tone. I don't think he put a foot wrong in terms of his delivery in any of his films. They were all tonally balanced (no matter what tone they were going for).

The only time I felt he may have been laying it on too thick (as I've mentioned many times before) is when he's initially chatting up Stacy in AVTAK, and I always have to pause and realize that he's Moore acting as Bond in disguise as the odious St. John Smythe, not just Moore as Bond.

Oh, and OP is a class act, all the way down to the watch thing. Near perfection imho. I just didn't like the comedy finale with all the Octopussy girl's doing their circius act with buffoon Q.

Glad to see someone else gets it with Moore. Far too many Bond fans I know dismiss Moore as "not Fleming enough". As you said he absolutely nails any material, funny, gritty or anything inbetween.

• edited February 2017 Posts: 6,844

But he does risk his own life during the jungle chase, giving up his location because he just has to let out that Weissmuller yell.

I bet Roger s Bond watched a lot of Tarzan movies as a kid, and thought to himself "I can t believe it! I am finally living my childhood dream! What the hell, screw it..."

That part I can't defend. I personally suspect that's just something Roger was doing on set for fun, they caught it on film, and the editor got clever. ;)
    bondjames wrote: »

Oh, and OP is a class act, all the way down to the watch thing. Near perfection imho. I just didn't like the comedy finale with all the Octopussy girls doing their circus act with buffoon Q.

Not a fan of the girls in bikinis beating up thugs with paperweight blows either. But Roger's heroics smashing through the window is a high point and I find Q's "Maybe later" priceless.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Not now. Later perhaps.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The 'Tarzan moment' in Octopussy was a very cheap laugh to cinema audiences. Watch it now and it's just excruciatingly embarrassing.

Shame it's there because other than that and a few other stupid jokes, Octopussy is a great Bond film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I had always assumed the 'Tarzan yell' was just a cheesy addition to what was already an obvious Tarzan reference; never really assumed that Bond was actually doing a Tarzan yell.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    OP has a much more Bondian feel than almost all of the films that came after it (with the obvious exceptions of TLD and CR).

The Fraser-Wilson-Maibaum combo was pretty good.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The OP finale would be much better for me if they could cut out the entire assault by Octopussy's gymnasts.
    For me its the silly tennis gags that grate more than the Tarzan yell. I suppose they were inevitable though given Vijay's presence.
    I had always assumed the 'Tarzan yell' was just a cheesy addition to what was already an obvious Tarzan reference; never really assumed that Bond was actually doing a Tarzan yell.
    When I was 10 I might have thought 007 himself was belting out the famous yell, but by 11 I thought it was just a humorous addition like the slide whistle in TMWTGG.
    I wonder if today's audiences would even get the Tarzan reference?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    When I was 10 I might have thought 007 himself was belting out the famous yell, but by 11 I thought it was just a humorous addition like the slide whistle in TMWTGG.

Surely the car made that sound?

I'm pretty sure I'm right. The watch scene is an obvious in joke.
  • It's a joke, absolutely, but I fail to see why they would have Bond knowingly look at his watchless wrist and look right back up again. That makes no sense for the character and isn't even remotely funny. I've never read the scene that way.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 5,131
    Its supposed to be funny because its a Gorilla looking at his watch. But yes agreed, it isn't very funny. But neither is the Tarzan and Hiss off parts....or indeed the entirely of the Moonraker Jaws scenes. If the OP train scene were played 'straight' Bond wouldn't have moved at all for fear of being seen.
  • That's where we differ in our interpretations. It is a very funny moment, but because the situation is so serious and Bond momentarily forgets he's wearing this absurd gorilla suit.

Agree with you on Jaws's comedic moments in Moonraker—and Spy for that matter. He's a character best used for his menace, like killing Fekkesh or coming after Manuela. The Moore era features much excellent material, bogged down at times by misguided and juvenile attempts at comedy.
    Bond isn't retarded. He wouldn't forget where he was etc. IMO. Agreed on Jaws, he should have been menacing and more like Flemings Horror character.
  • No, not "retarded." Just intently focused. It's a very human moment actually, which I wouldn't mind to see more of in the Bond films. You can feel his frustration as he realizes he's in this stupid gorilla suit. A perfect bit of realism mixed with absurdity.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited February 2017 Posts: 7,314
    If the OP train scene were played 'straight' Bond wouldn't have moved at all for fear of being seen.
    If it were played straight then he wouldn't have gotten inside the gorilla suit in the first place!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Yeah octopussy had quite a serious story and only a couple things contradict this
    Gorilla suit
    Clown
    Tarzan yell
    But for me those don't spoil it because it's still such a stellar bond film
    I watched skyfall yesterday and I thought I had thought that it was the worst bond film ever for the longest time. I watched it maybe 4 or 5 times and I kept falling in my rankings every time till it couldn't go more down . Then as I'm finishing up my bondathon I have watched it and some what reversed my opinion while I don't think it's a great bond film, it's fine it's moves briskly and is entertaing and while I hate the story and think it's terrible , it's fine
    Not as good as qos though
    I watched skyfall yesterday and I thought I had thought that it was the worst bond film ever for the longest time. I watched it maybe 4 or 5 times and I kept falling in my rankings every time till it couldn't go more down . Then as I'm finishing up my bondathon I have watched it and some what reversed my opinion while I don't think it's a great bond film, it's fine it's moves briskly and is entertaing and while I hate the story and think it's terrible , it's fine
    Not as good as qos though

How old are you?

Hahaha everybody asks me this I don't know why
    After my bondathon this is my Ranking I'm sure there's some controversy in there

24.Thunderball
    23.Dr. No
    22.Diamonds are Forever
    21.Moonraker
    20.The World is Not Enough
    19.Die Another Day
    18.The Man With The Golden Gun
    17.A View to a Kill
    16.Live and Let Die
    15.You Only Live Twice
    14.Skyfall
    13.For Your Eyes Only
    12.SPECTRE
    11.License to Kill
    10.Tomorrow Never Dies
    9.Goldeneye
    8.The Spy Who Loved Me
    7.Octopussy
    6.On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    5.Quantum of Solace
    4.The Living Daylights
    3.Goldfinger
    2.From Russia With Love
    1.Casino Royale
    If I was 15, I dont think I would like SF either.