Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondjames wrote: »
    Yes, @LeonardPine, I was surprised by how good the original film was. I had heard positive comments by others, but had avoided it in the past because it was black and white. The remake just seems gratuitous after seeing the earlier film. Quite unnecessary imho.

Being a fan of the original for so many years I was excited to learn Scorcese was re-making it with De Niro and Nolte no less, so you can imagine my disappointment when I saw the finished film.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @DarthDimi, if you're ever interested in a film that does a 180 with its genre at a random point and completely catches you off guard, check out 'Kill List.' Don't even read the plot or watch the trailer, just go in blind.

I tell so many people about Kill List @Creasy47 as hardly anyone I know has seen it. Blew me away when I first saw it.

It was my favourite film of that year and I have re-watched it several times.

Not an easy watch at times, but the film creates such an eerie, offbeat atmosphere the only thing I could compare it with is The Wicker Man

Sad to say I haven't rewatched it in the past few years since I first saw it. I'll have to rectify that sometime soon, as I've forgotten a good portion of what happens exactly.

Nice to hear from someone who's actually seen it!
    Someone to watch over me [1987] by Ridley Scott starring Mimi Rogers & Tom Berenger, about a cop protecting a lady from the better part of society against a psycho who wants to kill her because she is a witness having him seen murder a friend of hers.

as with all Scot's movies visually very strong and a story that has been done before but too often not as good. A decent movie that I originally saw in the cinema upon release but could still motivate me easily watching it into the wee hours of the morning. {Why do they show so many good movies at ridiculous hours?}
  • Resident Evil first time watch on BD, it stands up well for what it is arguably the best film in the series. Mila gets stuck in credit to her

Age of Ultron first viewing upscaled to 4K the film looks pretty God Dam good, the film has its flaws though been several months since I watched it one of my favouraite viewings of the film.
    @Birdleson

Got a good question for you. Since I know you love the classics, which film remakes do you consider to be the best?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Kill List (2011)

Knowing about this film for a while, and seeing some members talk about it on this thread lately finally got me to see this film. And it did not disappoint in the slightest. One of the best thrillers I've ever seen. I totally loved the whole hitmen section of the film, both main characters were very charismatic, and they had some insanely brutal scenes
    (the way one of them brutally kills someone with a hammer was just incredible)
    . However, I was totally not prepared with how the film ended, and for the last 10 minutes my eyes were glued to the screen. For a very low-budget film, it wipes the floor with 99% of big budget thrillers that Hollywood has come up with in very long time.
  • Batman v Superman something really irritates me about the end gr. Back training and ran two miles today not bad first time running since December. BVS is a film that fuels me, high intensity films serve a purpose if there is a emotional reaction
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    John Wick: Chapter Two

On an entertainment level, I needn't see another movie in theaters this year, because it isn't getting any better than that. I was a very, very big fan of the first one, and the sequel is much, much, much better, bigger and better in every single way.
    Kill List (2011)

Knowing about this film for a while, and seeing some members talk about it on this thread lately finally got me to see this film. And it did not disappoint in the slightest. One of the best thrillers I've ever seen. I totally loved the whole hitmen section of the film, both main characters were very charismatic, and they had some insanely brutal scenes
    (the way one of them brutally kills someone with a hammer was just incredible)
    . However, I was totally not prepared with how the film ended, and for the last 10 minutes my eyes were glued to the screen. For a very low-budget film, it wipes the floor with 99% of big budget thrillers that Hollywood has come up with in very long time.

There's certainly nothing else like it @DaltonCraig007

I just love the eerie sense of dread the film exudes.

The director Ben Wheatley has never come close to bettering it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    John Wick: Chapter Two

On an entertainment level, I needn't see another movie in theaters this year, because it isn't getting any better than that. I was a very, very big fan of the first one, and the sequel is much, much, much better, bigger and better in every single way.

@Creasy47, I still need to see the first, and want to see the second in theaters.

I know some view these movies and others like them as mindless action, but in this case I have such respect for the production teams of these films for the kind of choreography they are able to pull off on screen. Watching these films is to appreciate some of the most unbelievable talents in the field of stunt work, with some of the most clever visuals around. That stuff can be just as appreciated as a drama's story, for my money.

The fact that there's still no performance awards for stunt crews at events like the Oscars is blasphemous.
    The choreography in the sequel was equivalent to watching ballet. The way everyone moves in unison and pulls off some of those stunts is incredibly stunning.

It always bugged me that the Oscars lacked a category for that, but then I realized those awards shows are pretty much bullshit anymore, so now I don't bother with them.

Take this year: Martin Scorsese's 'Silence' has the same amount of Oscar nominations as 'Suicide Squad,' and one LESS nomination than 'Passengers.'
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy47, that's the politics of it now. I've slept on the Oscars and all award shows for a while now, for the same reasons you have.

I know more people who watch the show because they care more for the red carpet and what people are wearing than the movies and film industry it's supposed to be celebrating. That's our world for you, looking at the superficial while ignoring all meaning and what is salient.
    I saw a bit of the Oscars one year, and it was a section on the red carpet where they had a hand camera, or something? The female celebrities would put their hands in and it would zoom in to show off their nails or jewelry or whatever. Couldn't believe it was something people were genuinely tuning in for.
    I saw a bit of the Oscars one year, and it was a section on the red carpet where they had a hand camera, or something? The female celebrities would put their hands in and it would zoom in to show off their nails or jewelry or whatever. Couldn't believe it was something people were genuinely tuning in for.

The hilarious thing is that I guarantee you most of the actors and actresses don't know or care what they're wearing, and they're just told by publicists to go along with it. They get random calls from "fashion people" and get money to wear their dresses like a mannequin on the carpet, and then the imbecilic presenters encourage the actor/actress to say what designer they're wearing to create a buzz about the person who made the suit or dress. It's the equivalent of Nascar drivers wearing uniforms plastered with sponsors. I love hearing stories about the stars then losing their clothes or the clothes being stolen before they can be returned to the designer after the awards show. Great, great karma.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @fire_and_ice, does Affleck's power training in the film boost your thirst for muscles and a good condition too? :D I swear, that training of his in the film? Whoa. Respect. There's my Batman.
    If LA LA LAND yanks too many statues away from ARRIVAL, I'm going to be sorely disappointed.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited February 2017 Posts: 45,489
    The Oscars is like the ESC or the Nobel Peace Prize. Sometimes they get it right. Usually it is a parody.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    If LA LA LAND yanks too many statues away from ARRIVAL, I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

I hate to say it, @DarthDimi, but those geezers probably slept through that one.
    I'll definitely be pulling for La La Land (2016) to win best picture. Oscars is always a hit-and-miss affair for me. They've made great best picture picks and awful ones, too.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I hate to say it, @DarthDimi, but those geezers probably slept through that one.
    I'm far from a geezer, but I'm afraid I almost nodded off through Arrival as well. It's the first time that's happened.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 2,107
    They already have Batman v Superman on netflix, so I watched that. Pretty decend film second time around. Still don't see me getting this one or Suicide Squad on dvd/bluray anytime soon.
    I certainly recognise ARRIVAL's less accessible qualities for people who aren't into hard sci-fi as much as I am. But I'm still hoping for a MAD MAX FURY ROAD situation. Also a bit of a "niche" film, yet awarded for the many things it did amazingly well. ;-)
    To this day I'm still shocked at the treatment Mad Max: Fury Road got at the Oscars. It just strikes me as the kind of film they'd stick their noses up at, ignoring all the deep themes and lore of the thing while writing it off as an action film.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    @fire_and_ice, does Affleck's power training in the film boost your thirst for muscles and a good condition too? :D I swear, that training of his in the film? Whoa. Respect. There's my Batman.

You know I was wondering if Batflecks abs got the 300 treatment in that scene it's a great training scene though, Rocky are my go to films for motivation I need to fire myself up to start training from scratch. :)

• Yeah these new movies are so overrated and mostly crap it's ridiculous. Hopefully the new blade runner or alien will spice things up for 2017! Oh and the last flick i saw was the Rumble in Hong kong, good old Jackie chan yay!
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Justice_League_Dark_film_Blu-ray.jpg

Not the best DC animated film but not the worst. It's leagues better than the utter disappointment that is The Killing Joke.

Great artwork on the cover, but what's the animation actually like?

I thought it was good but check it out for yourself.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IqZKxOU_s6g

• Fist of Fury I am gobsmacked at the Bluray restoration the film looks incredible, I feel like I am watching a Sergio Leone picture seeing detail I never knew was there highly recommend.
    Black Hawk down - another great Ridley Scott movie that is about a serious fuck up in Somalia, it is well shot your sometimes feel among the action with the soldiers. A brilliant soundtrack as well.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 12,284
    Watched Scent of a Woman (1992). Enjoyed it quite a lot; it's an uplifting picture.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Watched Scent of a Woman (1992). Enjoyed it quite a lot; it's an uplifting picture.

Hooooahh!