Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    You're right of course. I hadn't thought of it in that context. I watched Bullitt for the first time a few years back, and first saw Heat in 1995. When seeing the McQueen film I just remember thinking that the runway sequence was reminiscent of something I'd seen before, and then I remembered Heat.

Homage was the wrong word. Inspired is what I should have said. Mann perhaps drew inspiration from that scene, just like nearly every spy thriller draws from Bond, who in turn drew from Hitchcock.
    2 Guns (2013)
    Denzel Washington, Mark Wahlberg star in this clever Action, Comedy, Crime film.

Great fun.
    The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969)
    RdKfw7v.jpg

A few years ago this film was on tv on New Year’s Day. I wasn’t able to watch it fully because I had to head over to my parents for lunch, but it left enough of an impression that I recently sought it out. It features an Oscar winning performance by Maggie Smith as the eponymous Jean Brodie, a spirited tenured teacher in an all girl’s school in 1930’s Edinburgh. Miss Brodie tends to deviate from her syllabus, and indulges ‘her girls’ in cultural pursuits such as the arts, theatre, romanticism etc, much to the chagrin of the conservative prudish headmistress, Miss Mackay (Celia Johnson). She is also partial to fascism (eventually the cause of her undoing) and encourages her students to independently follow a life of purpose. She is courted by the religious meek music teacher Gordon (Gordon Jackson) and also continually pursued by the married art teacher Teddy (Robert Stephens), who she previously had an affair with and who continues to be infatuated with her, despite her attempts to move on. These activities become known to Miss Mackay, who becomes fixated on removing Miss Brodie from the school. Although Miss Brodie claims to be in 'her prime', it’s clear that she is living vicariously through her girls, who she has a tremendous influence on. Eventually she is forced to confront the unattractive consequences of what she has created in them.

The performances are excellent across the board, most notably by Smith who is mesmerizing, but also by everyone else. Pamela Franklin is especially impressive as the precocious & spiteful Sandy, who perhaps learned the wrong lessons from her teacher. So is Jane Carr as the gullible, stuttering Mary McGregor.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Justice_League_Dark_film_Blu-ray.jpg

Not the best DC animated film but not the worst. It's leagues better than the utter disappointment that is The Killing Joke.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @QsAssistant, what were your specific feelings on The Killing Joke, if you don't mind me asking?
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    @QsAssistant, what were your specific feelings on The Killing Joke, if you don't mind me asking?

The last half is good but it was the first half that destroyed the entire thing for me. The whole Batgirl plot at the beginning was useless. The random Batman and Batgirl sex was just awkward and unnecessary. I get that they were trying to make it seem more emotional by the time she gets shot but they were already close and we didn't need them to be that close. If you skip the first 20 to 30 minutes it's a decent adaptation of The Killing Joke. Having Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill come back as Batman and Joker is awesome but it wasn't enough to save the film.

Paul - 2011

The trailers gave the impression of something a little childish so it put me off but just watched it and nicely surprised. Its not a classic but it builds some nice characters and there is some good dialogue. Amongst the slapstick, there is some stinging critique concerning the stupidity of religion (which will always earn bonus points with me),
    great fun and lots of lots of SF references. I'm sure I missed many.
    The Big Lebowski (1998) and No Country For Old Men (2007). Unique, polar-opposite classics from the Coen Brothers.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Two terrific films there.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432

Not the best DC animated film but not the worst. It's leagues better than the utter disappointment that is The Killing Joke.
    I quite enjoyed Justice League Dark one of the better New52 films, only realised the other day Mark Hamill voiced Swamp Thing. Edited: My mistake Hamill voiced Swamp Thing in Justice League Action
    Twentieth Century (1934)

Another very good movie directed by Howard Hawks. Starring wonderful performances by John Barrymore and Carole Lombard. The rapport between the two stars is terrific.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 1,009
    The Sword In The Stone (1963): Makes much more sense after reading the original novel (however, it's The Once And Future King edition, so I missed Madame Mim and a couple of Arthur's transformations.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 3,336
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Twentieth Century (1934)

Another very good movie directed by Howard Hawks. Starring wonderful performances by John Barrymore and Carole Lombard. The rapport between the two stars is terrific.

When I finally got a chance to see this, about 20 years ago, I admit I was a bit let down (the promise of Barrymore and Hawks had me excited). Maybe it's time to give it another try.

It did run somewhat out of steam at a point in the middle, with some gags given a bit too much screen time. It wrapped up pretty good though, fortunately.

Have you seen: Monkey Business (1952), Ball of Fire (1941), and Sergeant York (1941)?
    If yes, what did you think about them? And what are your favourite Hawks movies?
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 2,107
    Pink Panther in following order;

The Pink Panther
    The Return of the Pink Panther
    The Pink Panther Strikes Again
    Revenge of the Pink Panther
    A Shot in the Dark
    Trail of the Pink Panther

Ranking;
    1. Strikes
    2. The Pink Panther
    3. ASITD
    4. Return
    5. Revenge
    6. Trail

I aim to watch the rest of them. At least for the sake of seeing Herbert Lom.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

Great artwork on the cover, but what's the animation actually like?
    Batman Mystey of the Batwoman

Me and my wife haven't gotten to Snake Eyes Pretty in Pink or the Shadow but I di watch this glossed over animated film and I kind of enjoyed it. Had some decent Humor (including the goon seeing batman and just walking away) the voice acting is good Bruce Timm's Batgirl and batman fetish is there but not super in your face. Overall a good but slightly forgettable film (why was penguin recasted btw his voice just doesn't fit the character and I am unsure if they got the same guy as the animated series for Thorne or the guy they got sounded exactly like him to my ears but WOW) Plus an added bonus NO JOKER in fact apart from Penguin and Bane there is no name villains which I love.

Ranking of non Bond films 2017
    1. Mission Impossible 3
    2. The Firm
    3. My week with Marilyn
    4. Mission Impossible
    5. Ghostbusters
    6. When Harry meet Sally
    7. Batman Mystery of Batwoman
    8 limitless
    9.Batman Year one
    10 Mission Impossible 2
    11 National Lampoon's Vacation

Mission Impossible franchise
    1. Mission Impossible 3
    2. Mission Impossible
    3. Mission Impossible 2

Up next I have no idea but hopefully Snake eyes

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    War On Everyone (2016):

One of the funniest films I've seen in the past three years that is actually worth watching, more than any hyperbole films that don't deserve the attention they get, but often end up unjustifiably outshining the worthy ones.

Remember The Nice Guys with Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling? Well, forget it. This is by far a better buddy cop black comedy than that one was. Starring Michael Peña and Alexander Skarsgard as two corrupt, reckless and violent police officers who apparently jointed the task force because they have nothing better to do. Often going Dirty Harry on criminals of any regard and making the most racist of jokes. Seriously, if you're offended too easily, don't watch it. Like the title says, it's War on Everyone. The leading two actors excel in bringing brilliance to the roles they're given to play, especially Skarsgard who's that "funny bastard you love to see do stupid things". And then, there's the utterly beautiful Tessa Thompson who never ceases to amaze whenever she's on the screen (@doubleoego, mate? You should see this!).

All in all, I won't spoil much else of the film. It's recommended to those who love un-PC black comedy buddy cop flicks. @DaltonCraig007, try this one. :D And @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, it's Michael Peña. Don't miss out on it! :D
    Twentieth Century (1934)

When I finally got a chance to see this, about 20 years ago, I admit I was a bit let down (the promise of Barrymore and Hawks had me excited). Maybe it's time to give it another try.

It did run somewhat out of steam at a point in the middle, with some gags given a bit too much screen time. It wrapped up pretty good though, fortunately.

Have you seen: Monkey Business (1952), Ball of Fire (1941), and Sergeant York (1941)?

If yes, what did you think aboutt them? And what are your favourite Hawks movies?

I thought that both MONKEY BUSINESS (first saw it at UCLA on the same bill as THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD).and SERGEANT YORK were pretty decent films. Not favorites, but both very enjoyable and worth watching agin periodically. Believe it or not I have not seen BALL OF FIRE. I've long been aware of it, but never really got around to it.

Off the top of my head, my favorite Howard Hawks films are listed below. These are the essentials, among my favorite films of any kind.

RIO BRAVO
    THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD
    (though he's solely credited as producer, it has been a widely accepted rumor that Howard Hawks actually did more of the hands on behind the camera work than did official director Christian Nyby)
    RED RIVER
    THE BIG SLEEP
    TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT
    BRINGING UP BABY
    SCARFACE

There are a good dozen more that I think are wonderful films, but those seven are the gold to me. How about you?

Mine are: Rio Bravo (#1), His Girl Friday, The Big Sleep, Bringing Up Baby.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Monkey Business, would that be the Cary Grant & Ginger Rogers film? Thanks to the leads, I think that's a charming, likeable film. Grant was typically charming, and I have a Ginger addiction...
    Monkey Business, would that be the Cary Grant & Ginger Rogers film? Thanks to the leads, I think that's a charming, likeable film. Grant was typically charming, and I have a Ginger addiction...

That's the one.
    Survivor (2015)
    YEmatHN.jpg

I was in the mood for some Brosnan. So I put in this thriller starring 'the man' as an international assassin known as Nash a.k.a. The Watchmaker. He is given an assignment to facilitate a massive terrorist attack on a major US city on New Year's Eve by an aggrieved Romanian scientist (Emil Balian, played by the late Roger Rees). Balian holds a grudge because his wife died when she couldn't enter the US for an operation due to visa restrictions. He is aided by some shadowy nefarious types interested in financially capitalizing on the resulting mayhem by placing loaded bets on the stock market. The scientist is needed to get a deadly pathogen into the US that will be used in the terror attack. In order to do this however, he must actually be granted entry into the US. Unfortunately for him, he runs afoul of a diligent state dept. official working at the US Embassy in London (Kate Abbott, played by Milla Jovovich). Kate is a crack operative, who realizes there is something odd about Balian's visa application. She starts asking the right (or wrong, as the case may be) questions. This is when the bad guys have no choice but to unleash The Watchmaker on her. The rest of the film focuses on Kate surviving multiple assassination attempts by Nash throughout London as she is framed and forced to 'survive'.

The film has a wonderful supporting cast including Angela Bassett, James D'Arcy, Dylan McDermott, Robert Forster, Genevieve O'Reilly & Frances de la Tour. Sadly, they are all pretty much wasted on this effort, which suffers from an incoherent screenplay riddled with numerous plot holes. Nevertheless, it's worth it to see Brosnan ham it up as a hitman (even if he's a terribly ineffective one - he fails miserably at multiple attempts to kill Kate) & I'm always open to Jovovich (I first saw her in her prime in Married With Children and could see the obvious potential - her acting's secondary). I smirked at her role as vigilant US 'visa applicant' terrorist screener. The current US president would probably want someone like her on his payroll.
    @bondjames, I'm doing a Married with Children marathon since the beginning of the month and seeing Milla as that young preposterous French transfer student in that episode made me smile. She's brilliant, isn't she? :D
    Absolutely outstanding @ClarkDevlin. She left as favourable an impression on young me as she did on Al and Bud.
    You must've had hell of a time seeing that as a kid, @bondjames. :D Hey, I still have a celebrity crush over Milla Jovovich. I can imagine Bud feeling the same about that French transfer student!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    War On Everyone (2016):

One of the funniest films I've seen in the past three years that is actually worth watching, more than any hyperbole films that don't deserve the attention they get, but often end up unjustifiably outshining the worthy ones.

Remember The Nice Guys with Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling? Well, forget it. This is by far a better buddy cop black comedy than that one was. Starring Michael Peña and Alexander Skarsgard as two corrupt, reckless and violent police officers who apparently jointed the task force because they have nothing better to do. Often going Dirty Harry on criminals of any regard and making the most racist of jokes. Seriously, if you're offended too easily, don't watch it. Like the title says, it's War on Everyone. The leading two actors excel in bringing brilliance to the roles they're given to play, especially Skarsgard who's that "funny bastard you love to see do stupid things". And then, there's the utterly beautiful Tessa Thompson who never ceases to amaze whenever she's on the screen (@doubleoego, mate? You should see this!).

All in all, I won't spoil much else of the film. It's recommended to those who love un-PC black comedy buddy cop flicks. @DaltonCraig007, try this one. :D And @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, it's Michael Peña. Don't miss out on it! :D

@ClarkDevlin

M3n9EOI.gif
    @ClarkDevlin, I think that's my favourite episode just because of her. It's certainly the one I remember most clearly. In fact, I think it was Milla who first made me realize that I had to visit Eastern Europe when I grew up . I did, and it was well worth the trip - Prague in particular.

I'm sure you've seen Resident Evil. She is superb in the first one.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @DarthDimi, if you're ever interested in a film that does a 180 with its genre at a random point and completely catches you off guard, check out 'Kill List.' Don't even read the plot or watch the trailer, just go in blind.

I tell so many people about Kill List @Creasy47 as hardly anyone I know has seen it. Blew me away when I first saw it.

It was my favourite film of that year and I have re-watched it several times.

Not an easy watch at times, but the film creates such an eerie, offbeat atmosphere the only thing I could compare it with is The Wicker Man
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondjames wrote: »
    Cape Fear (1962)
    81imSo2.jpg

I had previously watched the 1991 Martin Scorsese remake starring Robert DeNiro & Nick Nolte, but had never seen the original film prior to tonight. This earlier entry stars Gregory Peck as lawyer Sam Bowden and Robert Mitchum as the obsessed and vengeful Max Cady, who has recently been released from prison. Max holds Sam personally responsible for his long 8 year incarceration for rape & begins to stalk his family and him. Sam’s wife Peggy (Polly Bergen) & daughter Nancy (Lori Martin) are the subject of Max’s resentment, as is the Bowden’s family dog. Martin Balsam & Telly Savalas (with hair!) round off the cast as policeman Mark Dutton & P.I. Charlie Sievers respectively. Sam tries to reason with Max first, & then attempts to use legal means to prevent him from harassing the family. When all other methods fail, he is forced to use extreme measures to ensure his family’s safety.

I enjoyed this version more than the remake & most of that is down to the performances. I found Mitchum far more convincing as the aggrieved psychopath Max Cady than DeNiro, who was a little too OTT imho. Mitchum plays it far more subtly (more LeChiffre than Silva), and that leads to a more sinister & menacing performance. Gregory Peck blows Nick Nolte out of the water as the increasingly desperate but determined lawyer – it’s not even close. I’ve also never been too keen on Juliette Lewis, and much prefer Lori Martin’s portrayal here of the innocent daughter. Polly Bergen is also more convincing as the protective wife than Jessica Lange was in the later effort.

Ultimately, this earlier film is more focused & less high strung and that makes it far more disturbing & unpleasant, in a good way. Bernard Herrmann’s distinctive & suspenseful score (repeated in the 1991 film) is very tense and helps to elevate everything.

Completely agree with you, @bondjames

I found the remake nothing but a glorified slasher film.

Have always loved the original and as you mention, great performance from Robert Mitchum. Subtle and menacing. Unlike De Niro's OTT indestructible goon.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @DarthDimi, if you're ever interested in a film that does a 180 with its genre at a random point and completely catches you off guard, check out 'Kill List.' Don't even read the plot or watch the trailer, just go in blind.

I tell so many people about Kill List @Creasy47 as hardly anyone I know has seen it. Blew me away when I first saw it.

It was my favourite film of that year and I have re-watched it several times.

Not an easy watch at times, but the film creates such an eerie, offbeat atmosphere the only thing I could compare it with is The Wicker Man

Sad to say I haven't rewatched it in the past few years since I first saw it. I'll have to rectify that sometime soon, as I've forgotten a good portion of what happens exactly.
    Yes, @LeonardPine, I was surprised by how good the original film was. I had heard positive comments by others, but had avoided it in the past because it was black and white. The remake just seems gratuitous after seeing the earlier film. Quite unnecessary imho.