Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It was hinted at there. Too bad they didn t go the full route.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    In hindsight, it would have actually been a novel idea to make Denbigh just some sneering idiot high on himself who actually redeems himself a bit in the end by saving M's neck and make Tanner or Q's cat or whoever the real mole. At least we wouldn't have seen it coming way ahead of all the characters.

I've been grumbling about this for a long time. Just for once, I'd like the unpleasant character who throws spanners in the works for Bond and his chums to be doing it simply because he's a bit of a git.
    GetCarter wrote: »
    Watching a Mendes film is like a slow walk through an elegant ballroom.

Whatever happens next, I'm hoping for more adrenaline.

Also, it annoys me how we have a ready "made" bond by the end of QoS but he's suddenly an "old dog" by Skyfall.

We never get to see Daniel Craig's bond in his prime.

Each of his four movies feels like a reboot of sorts. I miss the days of standalone movies.

None of this is that controversial these days I guess. Of course, the Mendes era is being revaluated in the wake of spectre.

Yep...agree with this comment.

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Guy Hamilton's contributions to the series are more enjoyable than those of Lewis Gilbert. While YOLT, TSWLM and MR have some really nice imagery, they also drag way too much for my taste.

Also, I very much like the dialogue in Hamilton's Bond films.

I'd rank them like this:

1. LALD
    2. GF
    3. TMWTGG
    4. DAF
    5. TSWLM
    6. YOLT
    7. MR

Ranking the Hamilton/Gilbert films:

1 GOLDFINGER
    2 THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
    3 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    4 DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
    5 THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
    6 LIVE AND LET DIE
    7 MOONRAKER

They are more mixed for me, obviously. At least we agree on MR.

• edited January 2017 Posts: 19,339
    OK,lets give this a go,let me check my Bond ratings list :

Ranking the Hamilton/Gilbert films:

1 THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
    2 GOLDFINGER
    3 LIVE AND LET DIE
    4 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    5 THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
    6 DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
    7 MOONRAKER......

Actually almost identical to @Birdleson ..
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 10,588
    1. GOLDFINGER
    2. THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
    3. LIVE AND LET DIE
    4. YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    5. MOONRAKER
    6. THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
    7. DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    1. TSWLM
    2. LALD
    3. GF (up to Kentucky it's top 5 material)
    4. TMWTGG
    5. DAF
    6. YOLT (up to the wedding it's top 10 material)
    7. MR (remove the silly gags at the end of every action sequence and it's top 10)

I love Hamilton's quirky style. I love Gilbert's massive scale. TSWLM is where they both meet beautifully imho.
    Lupe Lamore should have been the main Bond girl in LTK.
    How is that controversial? She was terrific.
    Because everyone seem to love Pam so much. I prefer a Bond girl closer to the main villain as a damsel in distress (or prisoner) type.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Lupe Lamore should have been the main Bond girl in LTK.

She is the sexist Bond girl of all time. Totally agree. Good call.
    Hmmmmm.....nope...couldnt act for shit...
    As long as it's a non-speaking role, she can be in any Bond film for as long as she wants to be.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Haha, can't disagree with her being very hot, but that doesn't make up for heracm of acting skills, for the most part anyway. I will say that she did make believe the pain she was suffering at the hands of Sanchez in the pts. It's spoilt very which and hits a low with her "I love James........So much". Sheesh....
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Birdleson wrote: »
    She is the sexy one, but I think they pushed her screen time as far as they could. I agree, she cannot act.

"James don't go...I'm scared"

• RC7RC7
    edited January 2017 Posts: 10,512
    I always feel like she's the sort of girl you'd get naked and feel ever so slightly disappointed, as opposed to Lowell, who you'd get naked and think 'this is next level'.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I always feel like she's the sort of girl you'd get naked and feel ever so slightly disappointed, as opposed to Lowell, who you'd get naked and think 'this is next level'.

Wow so so true...

• RC7RC7
    No, Lowell just sucks

Exactly.

I bet she does..and both of you wouldnt stop her if she started it............................. ;)
    barryt007 wrote: »

But the character was more interesting than Pam. Or at least had more potential.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »

But the character was more interesting than Pam. Or at least had more potential.

Not for me ,but fair enough.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    No, Lowell just sucks all around. The film would be far better without her.

I won't have anyone insult Carey "Legs" Lowell around here.

http://cdn3-www.craveonline.com/assets/mandatory/legacy/2015/03/man_file_1057387_23careylowell.jpg

Of course Tim was the lucky one, and he knew it...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/dc/ba/9a/dcba9ab98c7a46d64d498ed671e0e87a.jpg
    They should have made Linda (boat girl) the main babe in TLD, and dumped whiny Kara. She was far more interesting (in every way) imho.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I have to admit I'm a little sweet on Kara. She can be a bit daft, sure, but I chalk it up to her being an ingenue artiste in over her head, as a "normal" girl would be in those kinds of crazy situations. Yes, she nearly crashes her and Bond into a cliffside and yes, she could've helped more in the Afghan prison escape, but she makes up for it in moments where she quite endearingly does all she can to get back with Bond and protect him in any way she can. There's shades of Tatiana in her, which is fitting considering that TLD feels in many ways like it's trying to be a more modern FRWL. Bond girl unknowingly in cahoots with main villain? Check. Plot set around divided Cold War nations? Check. Necros is an obvious Grant tribute/rehash, and of we get a retread of a FRWL-like plot where Russians and Brits are manipulated into axing each other by a third party profiting from it.

I have my issues with Kara, but as I said, they can be explained by her not being ready for what she is facing, just as Tatiana isn't. We can't credibly take her to task for not knowing how to pilot an aircraft or fight defensively, as her entire life has been spent with a cello that uses skill sets entirely divorced from what she's faced with in the film. If she did know how to do that stuff, we would fault the script for randomly giving her those abilities just because the story needed her to do them, and that's even worse; that said, she doesn't do that bad a job at any of what she's asked.

For my money, Kara remains one of the more fully-formed Bond girls of the series, as we really get to know her in ways we usually don't others. She's never made a sex object or paraded around in a bikini, she's given passions that endear her to Bond (music), and her love of that music is a defining part of her character and overall personality. She comes off as a very real woman to me, someone I could actually run into and not a Venus-like goddess only attained in fantasy. That's also the appeal of Tatiana, and why I love her too.

She ranks pretty high for me, as far as Bond girls go, looking beyond just looks (though she has those too) and also examining their personality, actions and relevancy in the plot.
    I don't have a problem with the character @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. I'm just not too keen on Maryam d'Abo playing the role. Another actress might have made her more compelling for me.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I agree, I like her for the same reasons.
  • Here's one: The Goldeneye game is more popular than the movie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Here's one: The Goldeneye game is more popular than the movie.

Film GE is usually Top 10 on most 'Best of Bond' lists, whereas the game version is typically noted as one of the greatest video games of all time, so that may not be very controversial.
  • Not stating I even agree with my own opinion, but for the generation below mine, the game is EXTREMELY popular.