What would be Cubby's favorite Michael Wilson/Barbara Broccoli Bond movie?

13»

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Bond also cried in the cringeworthy Skyfall.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    When does Bond cry in QoS?
    I am going to say that Babs' favorite film is CR for the scenes of Craig in the ocean minus a shirt. I think that this is what really cemented CR for her...

MGW I'm bet he prefers TSWLM. I don't know why, I just have a feeling...

And as for Cubby... I'm going to say TSWLM because it was the first one he did without Salzman and he pulled out all the stops and made a epic film.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,400
    @BondJasonBond006 – Thanks for your kind words. I do feel that this would be Cubby’s thinking.

I don’t feel he’d have been a huge proponent of Craig – I think he’d appreciate CR and probably like SF as a film, just not as a “Bond film”. I reckon if Cubby been casting a new Bond for the reboot back in 2005, he’d have gone for Henry Cavill or someone equally as bland and affable.

Having said that, I actually appreciate the reign of Barbara Broccoli much more. I feel EON made a few fledging errors during the Brosnan years where Babs was maybe listening to Wilson too much and living in her father’s shadow.

Undeniably she has escaped from that and it’s clear that she was more forthright during Craig’s tenure. She has bought in high-calibre filmmakers (to mixed results, but you gotta admire her ability to coax people like Forster and Mendes).

The only thing working against Barbara is the frequency she delivers the films. The Bond films are more expensive than ever – but her hit-rate is significantly lower to her father’s, so it’s difficult to compare.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    He sheds a few tears briefly. Not visible on DVD. You'll notice that on BluRay. It's when he throws Mathis' corpse in the garbage can.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    NicNac wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I think Cubby would prefer CR as it is the closest to the class and tone of FRWL. But saying that, Craig would never have won the part whilst Cubby was alive.

That's the Cubby who dismissed the Moonraker novel because it had a 'piddly little rocket', and thus created Moonraker the movie?

Careful not to look at Cubby too much through rose tinted glasses. A great man, but nonetheless...

Cubby would have loved the one that made the most money. He was an astute business man within the movie world, and he lived by the old adage 'give the people what they want'.

Agreed. Cubby was in it to make the most money. BUT, he was always 'looking to make' another FRWL.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    He sheds a few tears briefly. Not visible on DVD. You'll notice that on BluRay. It's when he throws Mathis' corpse in the garbage can.

That's something I've most certainly missed in my countless viewings since 2008. I'll keep an eye out next time, never noticed.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Yes, I admit I've never noticed that either.