Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Comparing GE to GF is like comparing an elephant turd to a delicious chocolate cake. You can pretend all you want, but it is not the same. At all.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I was going to say Apples to Oranges... :-S
    Comparing GE to GF is like comparing an elephant turd to a delicious chocolate cake. You can pretend all you want, but it is not the same. At all.

I'm not saying GE is the better film but, for me, its just a fact that it played a far bigger part in developing my love for Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You are allowed to love it.
    You are allowed to love it.

Phew, I was worried for a moment ;)

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I actually hate TB, and I thought NSNA was made because TB was so bad it needed remaking.
    It's a good thing that this is the controversial opinion thread!
    To throw a spanner in the works,i am 47 in about 2 weeks and QOS is easily my 'go to' film at the moment.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    My go to film is either DAF, DN, QOS.
    And I am 42 and three months exactly in three weeks. There will be a big celebration.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 512
    My controversial opinion:

I absolutely LOVE Bill Conti' soundtrack for FYEO. It's the best non-Barry soundtrack.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It is the absolute worst for me.
    The only composer that qualifies as total failure in the Bond franchise is of course Newman.
    All the others, including Serra or Conti have done a good job and created some unique Bond scores that can easily be identified as such and are original in their approach.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Newman is by no means a total failure. His scores are often atmospheric and lush, if generic at times. Both Serra and Conti brought immense originality and personality into their respective films. The only difference is, the former doesn't urge me to rip out both my ears before the credits begin rolling.
    Generic is the right word, bland, boring, it's lift music for the most part.

Sure, there are some "highlights": Backfire is the best moment in SP by far, score wise. I would go so far to say it's even very good.
    In SF it's Grand Bazar Istanbul.

But other than that, Newman did a bloody bad job.
    Sorry, this track trumps anything in FYEO, IMHO.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    jake24 wrote: »
    Sorry, this track trumps anything in FYEO, IMHO.
    It's very good, but I prefer the similar Severine from SF, which was really lush.

This is one of my favourites from FYEO. I do like Conti's slower stuff, but am not too keen on the disco action score, which I think Hamlisch did far better in TSWLM
    I dance along to the "Drive in the Country" track when it comes up in the film.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 13,912
    The only music that stands out from SP, was when the Bond theme kicks in during the PTS. Here's a few of my favourites from FYEO:

Gunbarrel / Flowers For Tracy / Helicopter Ride

A Drive In The Country

St. Cyrill's Monastery
    edited January 2017 Posts: 10,588
    The first 30 seconds of the first track is passable. The second sounds like an unused Bee Gees title, and the third is much more suitable in a Little House on the Prarie episode. I've been ranting for a while now, so I'll leave it here and say that it has never done a thing for me. I won't spoil it further for those that do enjoy it.
    Tastes are different naturally @jake24
    I rant about SF every so often knowing a majority likes it, which forever will be a mystery to me.

I get why you don't like FYEO's score. I have grown accustomed to it, as I have to LTK's, TSWLM's and LALD's.
    I can't say I dislike any of them though. It's just getting accustomed to the lift music in SF and SP is much more harder. There's not much that I could hum or whistle from Newman's stuff.
    BAIN123 wrote: »

I'm not saying GE is the better film but, for me, its just a fact that it played a far bigger part in developing my love for Bond.

I suppose for me it would be OP and NSNA's releases in 1983. In a way it's almost unfair to compare GF with GE, as they are from entirely different eras in cinematic history. In terms of Bond history both films are hugely relevant as they captured new audiences and fans. GF sparked the revival of the previous two and secured the success of TB. GE brought 007 back to the forefront with movie goers. If GE had continued the tone and feel of LTK, I doubt it would have come off as well. It was a celebration of Bond, a welcome return that embraced the formula, the character and history. In addition it proved that no matter what situation the world is currently in, 007 is still the man to take it on.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    barryt007 wrote: »
    To throw a spanner in the works,i am 47 in about 2 weeks and QOS is easily my 'go to' film at the moment.
    I'll be a decade older in than that in 2 weeks, and my go-to Bonds are TLD, TND, QOS & SP.

:)>-
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I'll be a decade older in than that in 2 weeks, and my go-to Bonds are TLD, TND, QOS & SP.

I just hope I will look half as good and hot like you do when I reach your age !
    How do you do it?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chrisisall wrote: »

I just hope I will look half as good and hot like you do when I reach your age !
    How do you do it?

Ha ha, hot? Well gosh... in answer to your query, gung fu, my man!
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    The only composer that qualifies as total failure in the Bond franchise is of course Newman.
    All the others, including Serra or Conti have done a good job and created some unique Bond scores that can easily be identified as such and are original in their approach.

I'm sorry but Newman is the biggest reason I can't enjoy spectre
    So you're agreeing. :P

I agree as well. Aside from like 6 tracks between the two scores, I just don't enjoy Newman's work FOR BOND. Outside of Bond his music is decent but it's just so bland and themeless to me. Say what you will about Serra or Conti at least they used the Bond theme in full perfection when needed. Newman would just use the Doo doo de doo with flutes a bunch of time. Then the one time he blares it towards the end of Spectre it builds up and doesn't go anywhere. I got Bond music blue balls. If you're going to use it then freaking use it. Don't tease that you're going to use it only not to use it. Ugh I hate that.
  • GBFGBF
    Conti has some of the best pieces f music in the Bond franchise. I absolutely love "A drive in the country", the sound during the gun barrel, the Greek stuff and the underwater stuff. OK, the ski chase score is not really great bur all in all it is a very good and memorable score.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Newman is the only one of the non-Barry composers that I truly don't enjoy. Even the others that I like least, Conti and Serra, show moments of beauty and sweeping splendor that are immediately identifiable as Bond.

Agreed. While I'm not the biggest fans of Monty Norman or Marvin Hamlich's contributions, They still felt like Bond scores. With Newman's work you could put his music in any action movie and it would fit. While the Other Bond composers you couldn't really do it with other movies. It feels exclusive to Bond.
    Listening to Arnold's DAD soundtrack as we speak, and damn, does it sound good on headphones with the base turned up. This is what I call a memorable score.
    Oh yes. Arnold is so underrated around here! I would love it if he did another Shaken Not Stirred type album.
  • GBFGBF
    Oh I forgot how much I love the use of the Bond theme in the submarine track in combination with the traditional Greek elements.