Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Watching Rebel Without a Cause (1955) for the first time!
    Desert Fury (1947)
  • GBFGBF
    Toni Erdmann

I saw this film a few days ago and think it is one of the most entertaining films 2016, even though it is actually a drama. Happy to see its positive international reviews. After last year's Victoria - which I think is a Masterpiece - another well made German film.

I only thought it could have been 30 minutes shorter... I also saw some similarities to "Lost in Translation" which is not a bad thing imo.
  • GBFGBF
    @ Birdleson

I saw that you also like Toni Erdmann. Where did you watch the film? Is it available in the US?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Unknown-02-Liam-Neeson.jpg

Unknown (2011)

The first of 4 collaborations between Liam Neeson and director Jaume Collet-Serra, who would work again on Non Stop in 2014, Run All Night in 2015 and The Commuter in 2017. Liam Neeson plays a random man arriving in Berlin with his wife, played by the lovely January Jones, until he is involved in a crash and loses his memory, knowing only his name, but things get complicated for him when he sees his wife again and she doesn't recognize him. Liam Neeson thus has to unleash his very specific set of skills to find out who he really is, and to stop the bad guys from trying to kill him. A lot of spectacular action scenes (the apartment fight, the night time car chase and the final fist fight) and a stellar supporting cast (Aidan Quinn, Bruno Ganz, Frank Langella, Diane Kruger) makes this a very entertaining Euro thriller, and another fantastic action film from Liam Neeson.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @DaltonCraig007

I love Liam Neeson's body of work he has done in the last 15 years.

Unknown and Non-Stop are my favourites :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @BondJasonBond006 Liam Neeson is on fire these days, he's one of a select few actors that I'll check every film they'll make from now on (Tom Cruise, Iko Uwais and Denzel Washington being the other 3).
  • GBFGBF
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I get the academy screens of all films (except STAR WARS films, they don't bother sending them out) from a friend who is a critic.

That's fine... So you get quite a big selection of films...

One thing that still annoys me is that the German film "Victoria" could not be nominated for an Oscar for best foreign language film last year, simply because there was too much English spoken in this film.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 9,020
    @BondJasonBond006 Liam Neeson is on fire these days, he's one of a select few actors that I'll check every film they'll make from now on (Tom Cruise, Iko Uwais and Denzel Washington being the other 3).

Interesting, I follow Denzel and Tom as well and buy every film they are in.
    Same goes for some others...Channing Tatum (yes, really :P ), Anthony Hopkins, Chris Evans, Ryan Reynolds.
    On the female front it's Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy (yeah true!) :P , Anna Kendrick, Kristen Bell.
    @doubleogo would you agree with my list? Neeson, Cruise, Uwais and Denzel being those few actors you'll be there day 1 for every single film they'll make from now on?

@BondJasonBond006 Did you see 'The Accountant' with Ben Affleck? Anna Kendrick is in it.
    @doubleogo would you agree with my list? Neeson, Cruise, Uwais and Denzel being those few actors you'll be there day 1 for every single film they'll make from now on?

@BondJasonBond006 Did you see 'The Accountant' with Ben Affleck? Anna Kendrick is in it.

Not yet, it gets released March 2nd on Blu-ray, I can't wait really. Lately I have become a rather big fan of Affleck I must say.

I fell in love with Kendrick immediately when I saw Twilight. And I have followed the films because of her...and Ashley Green, hotter than hell those ladies.
    LA LA LAND @birdleson
    GBF wrote: »
    I get the academy screens of all films (except STAR WARS films, they don't bother sending them out) from a friend who is a critic.

That's fine... So you get quite a big selection of films...

One thing that still annoys me is that the German film "Victoria" could not be nominated for an Oscar for best foreign language film last year, simply because there was too much English spoken in this film.

I'll ask for that one (I'm sure that he still has it). There are so many, I obviously don't watch, or even take, them all. Any other suggestions form 2016? I never know what to request.

Hell or High Water
    Sing Street

oh yes, hell yes, SING STREET, didn't know that was considered for the Oscars...
    All About Eve (1950).
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Friday 13th remake switched off after 45 minutes, thought it was pretty dreadful.

45 minutes is too generous.

Agreed I switched it off twice before I finally gave up.

Batman v Superman I love this film, last hour or so is intense.

Knock Knock struggled with the plausibility of this one, Keano character makes some incredibly dumb decisions.

Jungle Book wow I heard this live action film was good I was blown away by the effects, there were moments when I thought kids really should not be watching this though.
  • GBFGBF
    @birdleson:

I also think that this year was a bit disappointing. With regard to films, I think that the last years were better. I would also recommend "A most wanted man" which is a film from 2014. It is the last film starring Philip Seymour Hoffman. It is an adaptation of a John le Carré book. The film deals with terrorism and takes place in Hamburg. I really liked that film. I also enjoyed watching "Whiplsh" and "Nightcrawler".

Whiplash is fantastic.

To be honest LA LA LAND makes up for this seemingly weak Oscar year. I wouldn't be surprised if it got like 11 nominations.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 12,276
    I'd be happy if La La Land (2016) wins Best Picture, among other awards. It's pretty darn good. I'll buy it once it releases on DVD.
  • GBFGBF
    Whiplash is fantastic.

To be honest LA LA LAND makes up for this seemingly weak Oscar year. I wouldn't be surprised if it got like 11 nominations.

I haven't seen LA LA LAND but it should be good as the director also directed Whiplash. I plan to see it soon.
    My favorite from 2015 was Room. Found it to be excellent.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It was an absolutely riveting experience. As was most on the list.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Birdleson, happy to hear you enjoyed both 'Whiplash' and 'Beasts of No Nation.' They made Top 5 of 2015 for me.
    LOL, I had rented it a few weeks ago, then the Mrs. DVR it not knowing I had already seen it so I watched it again two days ago.
    The Hateful Eight
    This is so Tarantino. OTT quirky characters, dialogue and violence. When sitting down to watch any of his films just remember: Do not take this seriously. To do that is not playing the game. :)) :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My mom rented some movie called The Darkness. We got through about 45 minutes of the damn thing. It's got all the modern "horror" cliche's and I'm using the word horror loosely.

Family goes on vacation,
    someone in the family gets possessed secretly.
    Family acts a bit quirky now.
    Drama slowly begins to unfold.
    Random house jumpscare sounds that lead to nothing.
    Drama gets worse.
    All hell breaks loose.
    Somebody call a priest or healer!
    False sense of security!
    Priest or healer dies. (Maybe we only got through 45 minutes of this boring drek.)
    Blah blah blah, Family is saved the end.

That is every horror movie now. Generic house spooks is what they should call these movies now. Not even Kevin Bacon could save it. SKIP!
    the-dark-knight-le-chevalier-noir-3749-4ea5c59c34f8633bdc000373-1320294283.jpg

The Dark Knight (2008)

This film knocked my socks off when I first saw it in cinema, 9 years ago now. And I still get the same amount of epic entertainment from it, despite having seen it dozens of time. Fantastic performances from the cast - Bale, Eckhart, Oldman, Caine, Freeman, Ledger, a killer soundtrack and many highly thrilling action scenes (the opening heist, the Hong Kong sequence, the police convoy/batmobile/bat-motorcycle chase, the climax fight in the tall building, really makes this film one of my favorites of all time. With this and 'Inception' 2 years later, I thought Nolan was unstoppable at the time. Shame he dropped in quality for 'Dark Knight Rises' and 'Interstellar' (still very good), but I am very much excited for his WW2 film 'Dunkirk' coming this summer.
    the-dark-knight-le-chevalier-noir-3749-4ea5c59c34f8633bdc000373-1320294283.jpg

The Dark Knight (2008)

This film knocked my socks off when I first saw it in cinema, 9 years ago now. And I still get the same amount of epic entertainment from it, despite having seen it dozens of time. Fantastic performances from the cast - Bale, Eckhart, Oldman, Caine, Freeman, Ledger, a killer soundtrack and many highly thrilling action scenes (the opening heist, the Hong Kong sequence, the police convoy/batmobile/bat-motorcycle chase, the climax fight in the tall building, really makes this film one of my favorites of all time. With this and 'Inception' 2 years later, I thought Nolan was unstoppable at the time. Shame he dropped in quality for 'Dark Knight Rises' and 'Interstellar' (still very good), but I am very much excited for his WW2 film 'Dunkirk' coming this summer.

My favorite film ever. And I'm also looking forward to Dunkirk.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Indiscreet (1958)
    pJCgKfO.jpg
    This is a charming romantic comedy starring Cary Grant & Ingrid Bergman, directed by Stanley Donen. Ms. Bergman plays Anna Kalman, an actress who is looking for a man. Enter Grant's Philip Adams, introduced through Anna's brother in law. The two hit it off, but Philip has a secret. He claims to be married but is actually single, in order to avoid being tied down. Anna finds out, and hatches a plan to get back at him. Hell hath no fury and all that jazz. Anyway, it all ends positively and predictably, and Philip's intentions are ultimately revealed to be honourable. Cary Grant is hilarious doing his dance routine half way through. Ingrid Bergman is excellent as always.
    1 hour into Patton (1970). So far it's already very good.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Notorious (1946)
    lXIIKRf.jpg

I'm on a bit of a classic film kick, and having enjoyed Indiscreet yesterday, decided to watch another Grant/Bergman film, this time from Hitchcock. Made 12 years earlier and in black and white, the relative youth of both actors is very apparent. Ingrid Bergman in particular is absolutely mesmerizing, and very convincing as Alicia Huberman, daughter of a recently deceased Nazi. She is approached by mysterious American government agent T.R. Devlin (played by Grant), who recruits her to infiltrate Nazi sympathizers living in exile in Brazil. One of the Nazis, Alex Sebastian (played by Claude Rains), has known Alicia for some time and is in love with her, making her mission more complicated & dangerous given that she & Devlin have feelings for one another. Eventually she is discovered and must be rescued by Devlin. I enjoyed this film. It's a bit slow in parts, but that's understandable given when it was made. It really picks up towards the end. The dialogue is engaging, and Bergman is just so enjoyable to watch. Claude Rains makes his character sympathetic, and Grant plays a tougher character than what I've usually seen from him. I think quite a few elements from this film were borrowed by Cruise for MI2.