Liam Neeson as Bond ?

SzonanaSzonana Mexico
edited December 2015 in Actors Posts: 1,130
Ok im sure you all know Liam Neeson was highly consdered as Bond in 1994.

So id like to ask you, do you think Liam would have made a good James Bond? would you have preferd him over Pierce Brosnan?

I think he would have been great and very close to how Fleming described him according what all of you have said

Would i have prefered him over Pierce? , nooo im so glad Pierce took the part and took us back to the traditional Bond.
Liam would have been a taller and dark haired Craig which doesn't sound so bad but i prefer the more lean and sleek version By Pierce and Connery.

Comments

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    But that thread is more for future Bonds instead on how certain actor could have made it in the past.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think he would have been fantastic.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I wanted Neeson to be the next Bond villain.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I think Pierce should have retired after TND & Liam taken over. I enjoyed GE & TND. Glad they made those. I could have done without the last two.

If you're asking if I would have liked Neeson to succeed Dalton instead of Brosnan in 1995, then the answer is no. I think we needed a more conventionally handsome, looks good in a suit, mass appeal kind of chap to take over and get the series back on a better financial footing. Someone who could do the lighter fare. Brosnan was that man & he delivered in his first two.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,984
    He was approached to be Bond in 1994/1995, I think, but he didn't want to do action movies then. LMFAO.

I think he would've been great as Bond, too.
    Yes, since then that's all he's done ! :))
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Yes, since then that's all he's done ! :))

Whilst true, I read that he only started doing action movies to keep busy after the death of his wife, Natasha Richardson.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Such a tragedy.
    I find him an incredibly dull actor. In this instance a small crumb of comfort to have Brosnan.
    There are few Hollywood actors who can play the fatherly action hero . (Harrison is too old, perhaps Costner?) LN has found himself a nice niche and best of luck. The Taken series is not high art but good quality popcorn flick IMHO
    The first Taken is a brilliant thriller, sadly 2&3 are no where near as good.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I think Neeson would have been an interesting choice. He is a good actor with the right credentials.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 12,506
    I think he may well have pulled it off, especially seeing him in the TAKEN movies but alas we will never know?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Neeson would have been ten times as good as Brosnan. Twenty even.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    liam%2Bneeson%2Bshoulders.jpg
    I always felt Liam would have been an interesting and an possibly excellent Bond. I can remember Pierce's contenders really being Neeson, Mel Gibson and Hugh Grant. Had Pierce somehow not been available to take the role, Liam would have been my choice out of those easily.
    With Pierce, audiences were really rooting for him to be Bond. It was kind of popular opinion that he deserved it. So in a way, Eon was playing it safe by casting him, especially after the 6 year gap and LTK's less than stellar U.S. box office earnings.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I never saw Neeson as Bond.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Neeson would have been ten times as good as Brosnan. Twenty even.

More. He's also a far superior actor. Schindlers List being case in point.
    I think Fiennes could have been an excellent Bond.
    BAIN123 wrote: »

See Schindler s List for that as well.
    BAIN123 wrote: »

See Schindler s List for that as well.

Indeed. But Feinnes himself apparently thought he'd be terrible :(
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Around the time of when Neeson had a chance of being Bond, I don't think he had the right look. But come the first Taken, he had matured and grown more into his looks, but then his age was against him.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 2,115
    He would have been a good choice for a serious adaptation of Matt Helm. On the back cover of the first edition of The Wrecking Crew, published in 1960, there's an illustration of Helm that looks similar to a 2000s version of Neeson.94ea29d5d8b6733a188eed3624a3394b.jpg
    That looks more like Clooney than Neeson.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I thought a young Robert Mitchum?
    Even better.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I can see Mitchum circa the early/mid 1960's (his mid-ish 40's) in that drawing.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I thought (and still think) Neeson would make a good villain.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Liam Neeson was born and raised just a bit up the road from me. Plus, it would have been lovely to have seen the first Northern Irish James Bond as all of the other nationalities of the UK and the Republic of Ireland have been represented in the James Bond role.