The Trump Era (Jan 20, 2017 – XXXX) Political Discussion Including Foreign Impacts

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I'm extremely glad Trump is cracking down on China, not letting them get away with go much. I noticed during an interview recently that he uses everything he can as leverage in negotiation. I would even say he took that call from Taiwan mostly to send a message to China - if you don't want me talking to them, your going to have to give me something in return.

Again, that's a smart move. We never saw something like that from Obama, who went out of his way to appease competing nations with political freebies.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 3,564
    bondjames wrote: »
    @TripAces, I hear you on the sanctimony of the RNC’s message. As I’ve admitted previously, they certainly obstructed during the Obama presidency. That’s undeniable. The country is worse off for the gridlock. However, two wrongs don’t make a right. I don’t have a problem with Democrats standing up for their values and ideals, but pulling a page from the Republican playbook is not going to serve the country well. Keep in mind that folks were drawn to Mr. Sanders and President Elect Trump precisely because they seem to have had enough with the partisan nonsense of the past.

"Two wrongs don't make a right"? Grandmotherly homilies don't suit you well at all. "Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander," as I've mentioned a few times now. The obstructionist technique obviously works. Maybe we'll just have to try it ourselves for awhile.

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs, if I understand you correctly, your contention is that President Elect Trump will be the last president of the United States. That seems a bit radical to me. In the same post, you also seem to advocate for California’s secession. I’m afraid it’s difficult to sympathize with your fears when you appear to be a part of the problem. If you and others had an issue with the Electoral College, the time to make hay out of it was before the election, and not afterwards. I’ve already posted my thoughts on why the system exists as it does, and I’m sure you realize why it’s in place as well.

I put the possibility of an ecological catastrophe in the next four years at 0%. After that, who knows?

I put the chance of a fascist takeover at 0%. There are enough checks and balances in the system to ensure that this doesn’t become a reality. President Elect Trump doesn’t agree with the Republican faithful on a lot of matters, and I can expect as a deal maker, that he will only try to work with them on items on which they agree. Items where they disagree are unlikely to pass muster. He knows the incoming Democratic Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer much better than he knows Paul Ryan or any of the Republican grandees. I expect him to be able to work with both sides of the aisle where needed to further the public’s interest. Having said that, this is a Republican Administration with a businessman in charge, so it's logical to conclude that the policies will lean conservative, with less Government meddling, and with a priority on efficiency.

Regarding your Christmas gift for all of us – I’m afraid that I’m at a complete loss as to what you have in mind. Based on some of the demoralizing comments that you have been expressing lately, I am concerned that you might be considering something permanent, and I certainly hope that I’m wrong.

I only ask that some who seem to be continually predicting the end of the world as we know it take an opportunity to step back, have a few drinks, enjoy the festive season, and calm down. I hope you can agree that fear is the biggest enemy of hope. It must be overcome or it could become all consuming.

With respect to my predictive capabilities: I’m certainly no Shaman, but I seem to recall being more optimistic about Mr. Trump’s chances when he was being written off on the old thread, so perhaps I’m not totally wrong on everything about the future.

The biggest risks in my view are as follows:

-Mr. Trump is a risk taker. He seems to have no fear. While these are admirable qualities- and while I also understand what he's trying to do geopolitically on the China/Russia/EU front - I hope he exercises caution on global affairs due to unintended consequences. Mr. Putin and the Chinese have proven to be logical, but not every state actor is.
    -There are questions being raised now about the American electoral system and the legitimacy of the President. This is a concern for democracy.
    -Racial tensions remain widespread, as are police violence. I hope that progress can be made on this front quickly, as it's a unnecessary cancer from within that must be extinguished.

I trust you'll forgive my excerpting those of your remarks that I wish to comment on, just for for simplicity’s sake.

I am not advocating for California’s secession, just noting it as a possible repercussion of the injustice perpetuated by the continued existence of the Electoral College. As you know, the EC was an outgrowth of slavery, assessing each slave as being worth 3/5 of an actual person in terms of counting any given area‘s importance in the selecting of a President. The intent was to reassure slave holding states that the rest of the union would be unable to abolish the peculiar institution that the South depended on for its economic stability. As such, the EC has long since outlived its usefulness. Particularly when one realizes that the EC is now at odds with the popular vote for the second time in less than twenty years, it seems quite clear to me that the proper time for the abolition of the Electoral College is sixteen years in the past. Still, better late than never. Additionally, as I previously noted and you seem to have ignored, the act of secession on CA’s part would be just as sensible and desirable as Brexit or Trump’s very election. All three indicate the triumph of them asses oops, sorry -- “the masses” over the dreaded and feared “Establishment.” Again, if it worked for you, maybe we’ll just have to adopt your proven techniques…

Scientists put the certainty of catastrophic climate change at purt’ near 100% within the next 50 years if we don’t act, quickly and decisively, to avoid passing a tipping point that is hurtling our way with increasing speed. Four years will probably not SHOW the change…but it almost certainly will mark the point of no return, which puts the onus of this calamity in the making squarely onto the shoulders of a man who has previously stated that he does not believe in the validity of the science at the center of this discussion. Trump’s pigheaded ignorance will indeed doom our children. I’ll be over 110 years old fifty years hence, so catastrophic climate change won’t effect me in the slightest -- but if you or your children live within 100 miles of the coast, you’d best not get too accustomed to your happy home, you’ll be needing to pack up & move ’ere long…

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the possibility of a fascist takeover…but the involvement of so many Trump children in both the actions of the administration AND the ongoing business of the Trump Empire shows me pretty clearly the intent to establish a Trump Dynasty. YOU can’t even see the Christmas present you’ll be receiving in a few days…

And re: the Present of Christmas To Come: “Something Permanent”? You think maybe I’ve got a Howard Beale solution in mind? Oh, please! You’ll see soon enough. Come on, shake the box….look at the label… Christmas present…consider what I’ve given you over & over again these past few months… remember what I promised you just a few days ago, the explanation of a term I used that seems to have driven poor @timmer into a mud-soaked tizzy… It’ll be here soon enough, I promise you, no one’s going to die over it.

Finally, re: your own stated misgivings with the possible Glorious Trump Future (and thank you for at least admitting them) -- Trump has every right to take risks with his own money, but he doesn’t even put THAT on the line very often…usually he’s just playing games with Other People’s Money. He has no right whatsoever to take risks with American lives, property, and security. You may try to claim that his taking the office of the Presidemcy gives him that right -- but this just brings up your second point of acknowledgement: that “there are questions being raised now about…the legitimacy of the president.” Darn tootin’ there are question being raised, and we’ve just gotten started. Trump would be well advised to try winning over the doubters (like myself) with his Cabinet choices…but if anything, his choices reinforce my doubts. This looks like a wreckin’ crew, not a swamp-draining corps of engineers. “Racial tensions?” “Police violence?” Could it be that you’re actually starting to hear and respond to the concerns we’ve been raising? Oh, tidings of comfort and joy!
  • Here's some nice holiday stories....

http://www.shadiholidaydisplay.com/

Sundar Shadi was a Sikh, born in India & moved to the USA...started this display in the '50s because he thought his neighbors would like it...by the time I started visiting this display with my family annually in the 60s, it had become pretty huge & very impressive. Mr Shadi died at the age of 102 early in this century... the city of El Cerrito CA mounts the display now every year.

No, this isn't your promised present...that'll come in a few days...

BTW: when Mr. Shadi married his wife in the '30s, he had to travel to Nevada for the ceremony. According to CA law at the time, interracial marriage was forbidden...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, if Californians have a problem with the Electoral College, then they should work to have the process changed, and make their case. Explain to the rest of the nation why one state on the west coast reflects the values, needs and desires of the rest of America so conclusively that the popular vote method would create a more balanced union. Secession is indeed a choice, but a self-defeating one in my view.

I've heard that some of the 'Calexit' crowd have gone to Russia of all places to make their case. The irony.

Regarding climate change, yes I've read that scientists speak of the so called 'tipping point'. I'm sure there are a few others who don't agree. Just like the dismal science (Economics), there's always somebody else with a different view in the prediction business. I personally believe it's logical that humans are affecting the environment negatively. The anecdotal evidence is all around us daily. Moreover, the world's population is growing exponentially and surely that is having an impact.

As I said, this Administration's focus is jobs. Frame the case in the context of employment and they will listen. Don't and you will be ignored for 4 years. It's that simple. I've already suggested that you shouldn't be too concerned about Mr. Trump's campaign rhetoric on this. He had to placate a portion of his Republican base who are deniers, and will have to manage them now while in office as well. As can be seen with quite a few of his appointments, he is straddling a fine line, and will be the ultimate arbiter.

On a side note, I would think that Californians should perhaps be more concerned about earthquakes than climate change, as that is something which can come about very unpredictably. If such a catastrophe were to occur (and I certainly hope not), then being part of the US may be beneficial.

Regarding 'fascism', yes we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm sure Mr. Trump will be within the legal boundaries when he announces what involvement his children will have. They are working on that right now.

Regarding your christmas gift - I'm afraid I still am not aware of what you have in mind, but am truly relieved that you're planning on still being with us on this thread into 2017, when Mr. Trump takes office. Some of the rhetoric from the left here did have me concerned.

Perhaps, as a self confessed trench dweller, you are considering a 'Christmas truce' - the series of unofficial ceasefires along the Western Front of World War I around Christmas 1914. If so, I'm all for it & thank you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce

http://time.com/3643889/christmas-truce-1914/

Regarding my misgivings about Mr. Trump's incoming administration: Yes, of course I have worries. Anybody would. Whenever there is a changeover there are implications. I choose to look at the glass as being half full rather than half empty however. I did that 8 years ago, and I'm doing it again now. The only time when I had real 'sixth sense' concerns was 16 years ago, and sadly I was proven correct, as were you apparently. So our 'predictive antenna' are at odds this time around. Let's see who is right with time.

Having said that, I am of the belief that unreasonable obstruction and questioning the legitimacy of the President at every opportunity is not a noble cause to pursue, no matter who is in charge. So no, I'm afraid that I don't agree that "Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander", and never have subscribed to that adage.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 8,153
    Did the people on the supreme court win the popular vote? Why are people pretending like the US is a direct democracy all of a sudden? It's not, it's a Republic and functions as such. When all the candidates campaigned, they had a deep understanding of this, that certain states would hold a special significance based on the electoral votes. No one was in the dark about that. Everyone knew how important Florida and Pennsylvania would be BECAUSE OF THE VOTES.

I could understand the left using the popular vote as a consolation while they licked their wounds in the aftermath of the election, but this argument really has become ridiculous now. The people you should really be angry at is the Clinton campaign for not running a more successful campaign in the states which held the most importance this time around. That's all there is to it, I'm afraid.
    This doesn't surprise me. There have been quite a few articles on the CIA's weapons program from Libya into Syria. I sort of figured it out during the 'red line' debacle. That's when I finally realized both these parties are corrupt to the core. It's just that the Dems hide it better. It makes this comment from the 2nd 2012 debate all the more chilling:

The people you should really be angry at is the Clinton campaign for not running a more successful campaign in the states which held the most importance this time around. That's all there is to it, I'm afraid.
    So true, and I've learnt that the donors are asking for their pound of flesh, with many saying they're not going to contribute any more to the party without a thorough accounting of what transpired. Approx $1.2 bn (twice as much as Mr. Trump spent) down the tubes and nothing to show for it. So Podesta and co. need someone to blame. First it was the Electoral College, then Voter Suppression, then Racism, then Millenials, then Women, then Fake News, then the Russian hack, then Comey, then Putin's alleged personal beef with Clinton. I suppose this all disproportionately impacted only that small slice of the electorate in the rust belt, who must have been paying more attention to Russia & Comey than everyone else.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/09/hillary-clintons-losing-campaign-cost-a-record-1-2b/

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/hillary-clinton-campaign-donors-post-mortem-232715
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I don t think they hide it better. It s obvious they are lying all the time. Look at Kerry and his flickering tongue. He sometimes slips up and contradicts himself even.
    This doesn't surprise me. There have been quite a few articles on the CIA's weapons program from Libya into Syria. I sort of figured it out during the 'red line' debacle. That's when I finally realized both these parties are corrupt to the core. It's just that the Dems hide it better. It makes this comment from the 2nd 2012 debate all the more chilling:

The people you should really be angry at is the Clinton campaign for not running a more successful campaign in the states which held the most importance this time around. That's all there is to it, I'm afraid.
    So true, and I've learnt that the donors are asking for their pound of flesh, with many saying they're not going to contribute any more to the party without a thorough accounting of what transpired. Approx $1.2 bn (twice as much as Mr. Trump spent) down the tubes and nothing to show for it. So Podesta and co. need someone to blame. First it was the Electoral College, then Voter Suppression, then Racism, then Millenials, then Women, then Fake News, then the Russian hack, then Comey, then Putin's alleged personal beef with Clinton. I suppose this all disproportionately impacted only that small slice of the electorate in the rust belt, who must have been paying more attention to Russia & Comey than everyone else.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/09/hillary-clintons-losing-campaign-cost-a-record-1-2b/

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/hillary-clinton-campaign-donors-post-mortem-232715

Correct, and let's not forget that this came after many democrats voiced their utter horror and disbelief that Trump would consider querying the result of the election. Back then the party line was that there was no way in hell that the vote could be influenced or tampered with. Of course, that changed about a tenth of a second after it dawned on them that the voting public weren't quite as under their thumb as they had thought.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Once again, double standards are twice as good as normal standards.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'm extremely glad Trump is cracking down on China, not letting them get away with go much. I noticed during an interview recently that he uses everything he can as leverage in negotiation. I would even say he took that call from Taiwan mostly to send a message to China - if you don't want me talking to them, your going to have to give me something in return.

Again, that's a smart move.
    Oh?

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/12/22/1613630/-China-Tells-Trump-s-Fools-Want-A-Trade-War-We-ll-Start-By-Targeting-Republican-States?
    “Their objective will be to parry what Trump does with targeted reprisals in areas of U.S. vulnerability.”

Among China’s likely targets, say trade experts: Boeing Co. aircraft and U.S. farm exports from Midwestern Republican states. Canceled Boeing orders would hurt U.S. shareholders, labor unions and the U.S. trade deficit, prompting pressure on the new administration, said Derek Scissors, an economist at data provider China Beige Book International. As of last month, China is awaiting delivery of 292 Boeing jets.

Blocking soybean or other U.S. food exports would prompt action by Republican Senators whose constituents lack a large manufacturing base,

Beijing also could look to pressure U.S. multinationals such as General Motors Co., which relies on China as its largest sales market. “Some companies that already invest in China, we’re likely to push them to lobby Trump,” Ms. Cheng said.

To retaliate, China also could make use of informal trade barriers—making health claims against American food products, for example—that are highly technical and difficult to counter in the WTO but hurt U.S. exporters, some experts said.

…"
  • KONNEENNKONNEENN SOUTHAMPTION UK
    Not much to discuss here then says he tongue in cheek. The Donald will do a great job because he has told us he will and he always delivers. I like his attitude to problems which is "find a solution". He likes walls so build one he will and he is right to make Emigration, from Mexico into the USA a major issue. We here in Western Europe have a similar problem. So good on you soon to be Mr President, Donald J TRUMP I wish you great success. That's my opening statement on this very interesting topic and, because it will impact on all of us as to how The Donald proceeds with his act, it does matter.
    KONNEENN wrote: »
    Not much to discuss here then says he tongue in cheek. The Donald will do a great job because he has told us he will and he always delivers. I like his attitude to problems which is "find a solution". He likes walls so build one he will and he is right to make Emigration, from Mexico into the USA a major issue. We here in Western Europe have a similar problem. So good on you soon to be Mr President, Donald J TRUMP I wish you great success. That's my opening statement on this very interesting topic and, because it will impact on all of us as to how The Donald proceeds with his act, it does matter.
    It will be especially interesting to see how this will impact the UK & Western Europe, especially with important elections next year in France & Germany. The terror attacks this week aren't going to help the incumbents.

Mr. Trump does indeed seem to be 'solution oriented'. Alan Posener, a columnist for German Die Welt said that Angela Merkel and the rest of Europe are going to have to learn to deal with a new U.S. president who thinks like a businessman: "They’re going to have to offer him something to get something"
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Mr. Trump does indeed seem to be 'solution oriented'.

891f9ee33524dcff9fdda13d55eb4e41.jpg
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 3,564

Perhaps, as a self confessed trench dweller, you are considering a 'Christmas truce' - the series of unofficial ceasefires along the Western Front of World War I around Christmas 1914. If so, I'm all for it & thank you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce

http://time.com/3643889/christmas-truce-1914/

Well it took several significant hints and you're not completely there yet...but close enough for folk music.

Ladies & Gentlemen, my present to you on this conflicted Christmas Eve: "Christmas in the Trenches," based on that historic undeclared cease-fire on the frozen fields of France during World War I.

My cease -fire offering is this: you'll not hear from me again in 2016. May 2017 be a damned sight saner than the previous year. God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen and Women.

So here's a further offering to keep you in comfort & joy, apropos of nothing other than the need for each of us to respect the other's right to our own opinions and worship (or lack of same): "The Christians and the Pagans" by Dar Williams. Last Wednesday I went Christmas caroling through the streets of the radical heartland of Berkeley CA. We sang at the homes of black folk, white, Mexican-Americans, Moslem-Americans, Asian Americans -- kids, adults, pets, no telling what all. Probably some gays, some pagans, certainly some Christians. "Feliz Navidad" and "The Dreidel Song" were among our most popular offerings. Afterwards, we shared cookies & warm cider in the home of the evening's organizer. I played & sang John Lennon's "Happy XMas (War is Over)" for the relaxing carolers. Our hostess for the evening played this song & said it was her favorite Christmas song of all. Here it is for you and I hope you enjoy it.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Night.
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, thanks for the songs. Folk is not my favourite genre, but McCutcheon's song wasn't bad. I enjoyed the Dar Williams track too. I think you'll agree my guess was close enough, so, based on your earlier post from below when the challenge was thrown down, I hope you will now keep an open mind on the incoming Trump Administration.

I also am including a link to a post on the previous thread that was closed down. You were expressing concerns at the time in late October that Trump supporters might not abide by the election results, and I proposed an alternate scenario (admittedly a long shot one at the time) and received similar assurances from you then.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/659914/#Comment_659914
    Now -- here's how you can prove this Casandra wrong: I've shown you my methods, Watson -- use them. @bondjames, I challenged you a few days back. What will be my Christmas gift to you all here on this thread? Observe my past actions, take note of my past promises, and deduce. Project the future from what you've observed of the past. I've given you some very substantial hints recently. (Actually, I thought I'd already given it away but you went barking up the wrong tree and lost the scent entirely.) Show me that you can predict the future, just as I already have, and I will believe your hopes of good to come from this brave new administration. I promise to give this President of yours (not mine!) my full support in his efforts if you can show me some small ability in personal assessment.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, and to everyone on this thread. Hope you enjoy the holidays.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    So Podesta and co. need someone to blame. First it was the Electoral College, then Voter Suppression, then Racism, then Millenials, then Women, then Fake News, then the Russian hack, then Comey, then Putin's alleged personal beef with Clinton.

20161220_excuse.jpg

It was reported late last week that the Tunisian suspect in the German terrorist attack in Berlin had been killed in Milan. Apparently, Anis Amri was shot dead by Italian police after he opened fire on them. He was questioned outside a Milan train station and became violent. Despite this, Europe and the West should still be concerned about possible attacks. Two men were arrested last week in Germany on suspicion of planning a terror attack in a town called Oberhausen (yes, the name is quite familiar to Bond fans). In Melbourne Australia, 3 men were arrested on suspicion of attempting to bomb a series of public places. They were Australian born but of Muslim persuasion, and self radicalized. Also, some perpetrators hijacked a plan bound for Libya, diverted it to Malta, and threatened to blow it up with grenades (how they got these on board is anyone’s guess). Thankfully, they surrendered and everyone survived. Scary times, and the anti-immigrant rhetoric is likely to escalate in 2017 as a result.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2465264/germany-terror-plot-arrests-berlin-attack-oberhausen/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-38411935

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-libya-airplane-idUSKBN14C12E

President Elect Donald Trump named RNC spokesperson and strategist Sean Spicer as his White House Press Secretary & his Communications Director. Mr. Spicer has been an avid supporter of the President Elect’s, and worked tirelessly along with RNC chairman and incoming White House Chief of Staff Reince Preibus to get Mr. Trump elected. I’ve been impressed with Mr. Spicer. He’s sharp, focused, plain spoken, and doesn’t appear to be a waffler. He said that President Elect Trump’s Administration will use innovative and entrepreneurial methods to get their message out to the American public, in addition to traditional methods such as daily press briefings. Other appointments include campaign spokeswoman Hope Hicks was named Strategic Communications Director & Dan Scavino was named Social Media Director. Ms. Hicks has been with President Elect Trump since the very beginning, when he launched his long shot campaign, and used to work for the Trump Organization as spokeswoman. Mr Scavino used to work as the Exec. VP of The President Elect’s New York Golf Club. Jason Miller was originally named as Communications Director, but later turned down the job.
    2VZmAnL.jpg

"Sean, Hope, Jason and Dan have been key members of my team during the campaign and transition.....I am excited they will be leading the team that will communicate my agenda that will Make America Great Again." said the President Elect in his original statement.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/22/trump-names-sean-spicer-press-secretary-announces-other-senior-members-of-his-press-team.html

In other news, the President Elect tweeted that the US must “greatly strengthen and expand” its nuclear capabilities. He said the US must take such action "until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes". The statement caused some consternation among the press, who are worried that Mr. Trump wants to start another arms race.

Coincidentally, President Elect Trump made these statements shortly after Russia’s President. Mr. Vladimir Putin said that Russia needs to bolster its nuclear arsenal. "We need to strengthen the military potential of strategic nuclear forces, especially with missile complexes that can reliably penetrate any existing and prospective missile defense systems," Mr. Putin said, after meeting with his military advisors to review activities in 2016.
    skWD6zS.jpg

The US has roughly 7000 nuclear weapons, compared to Russia’s 7300. (and these guys want more! Jeez, enough with the tool measurements already!).
    4drNkqq.jpg

Communications Advisor Jason Miller later clarified that the President Elect "was referring to the threat of nuclear proliferation and the critical need to prevent it - particularly to and among terrorist organizations and unstable and rogue regimes". He also indicated that the President Elect "emphasized the need to improve and modernize our deterrent capability as a vital way to pursue peace through strength".

I think it’s important to keep in mind that President Elect Trump had said during the presidential campaign that nuclear proliferation is the "single biggest problem" facing the world.

It’s known that the Pentagon would like to modernize its ageing nuclear triad, a three pronged strike force which includes missiles, bombers and submarines. In fact, current Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said the US planned to spend $108bn over the next 5 years, $400bn over the next 20 years & a total of approximately $1 trillion over the next 30 years to improve the country’s nuclear arsenal. It’s not clear if the Trump Administration is planning to spend more.

David Ignatius of the Washington Post spoke with former Defense Secretary Bob Gates about Mr. Trump’s tweet. Mr. Gates apparently said that he wished Mr. Trump had said ‘modernize’ in his tweet rather than ‘strengthen and expand’, but given that the tweet was essentially a response to Mr. Putin’s earlier remarks, he was ok with it. Mr. Ignatius said that there is some method to Mr. Trump’s tweeting. He felt that Mr. Trump is intentionally looking to disrupt the status quo in order to create room for negotiation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/22/donald-trump-vladimir-putn-signal-renewal-nuclear-arms-race/

https://sputniknews.com/military/201609271045764465-carter-nuclear-triad-modernization/

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/05/25/479498018/obamas-nuclear-paradox-pushing-for-cuts-agreeing-to-upgrades

Mr. Trump subsequently told NBC “‘Let it be an arms race…We will outmatch them at every pass and outlast them all.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/23/donald-trump-nuclear-weapons-arms-race

President Elect Trump waded into a United Nations matter last week at the request of an ally, in an unprecedented move for an incoming president. Egypt was about to introduce a UN Resolution condemning Israeli settlement activity in the West Bank on occupied territories captured during the 1967 “Six Day” War. The Obama Administration was reportedly going to ‘abstain’ during the vote, rather than ‘veto’, which is its normal practice in resolutions that are anti-Israeli (the US has vetoed more 42 resolutions regarding Israel, more than half of the 77 vetoes it has placed since the UN`s founding). An abstention would have meant that the resolution would have passed, and subsequently reversing it would have been near impossible because China and Russia have a veto.
    I9lIMZa.jpg

The Israelis were concerned about a new precedent being set at the UN, and so Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu contacted the President Elect, who in turn called Egyptian President al-Sisi. The two leaders agreed on the call that the incoming administration should be allowed to deal with the peace issue first, and shortly thereafter, Egypt temporarily withdrew the resolution from the UN. The Israelis had already warned the Obama Administration that they would appeal to the President Elect directly if it looked like the US would abstain, and they did.

"We did reach out to the President-elect and are deeply appreciative that he weighed in, which was not a simple thing to do," the official said.

"peace between the Israelis and the Palestinians will only come through direct negotiations between the parties, and not through the imposition of terms by the United Nations…..This puts Israel in a very poor negotiating position and is extremely unfair to all Israelis." Said President Elect Trump.

"Israelis deeply appreciate one of the great pillars of the US-Israel alliance: the willingness over many years of the United States to stand up in the UN and veto anti-Israel resolutions," said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier. "I hope the US won't abandon this policy."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/22/world/middleeast/donald-trump-united-nations-israel-settlements.html?_r=0

Despite this initial apparent success, the Resolution (numbered 2334) was in fact tabled at the UN on Friday by Malaysia, Senegal, New Zealand and Venezuela, and not by Egypt. The 15 member Security Council voted 14-0 against Israel and the US did in fact abstain. Therefore the resolution passed and states that the settlements have “no legal validity” and constitute “a flagrant violation” of international law. These are strong words, and will impact whether foreign companies do business in the occupied territories (in which 600,000 Israelis live) in the future. Mr. Netanyahu was livid, and subsequently alleged that the US was actually behind tabling the vote. He is also worried that Secretary of State John Kerry might make a speech soon outlining what the US considers as parameters for Middle East peace. He fears that the US may table a resolution which enshrines these principles within the UN prior to the Obama Administration leaving office.
    0gf2UQp.jpg

The Obama administration made a shameful, underhanded move,” Mr. Netanyahu alleged.

From the information that we have, we have no doubt that the Obama administration initiated it, stood behind it, co-ordinated on the wording and demanded that it be passed,” Mr. Netanyahu later claimed.

After that, the Israeli Environmental Protection Minister Ze’ev Elkin accused Vice President Joe Biden of personally calling Ukraine and urging them to vote in fvour of the resolution, something which Mr. Biden’s office has denied.

President Elect Trump tweeted "As to the U.N., things will be different after Jan. 20th,"

Mr. Trump had pledged during the campaign to move the US embassy to Jerusalem (which is highly contentious for Palestinians, who see the city as disputed), and has also appointed an Ambassador to Israel, David Friedman, who is known to be pro-settlement and who has previously openly opposed a two state solution. Despite these moves, the President Elect is reportedly in favour of a two-state peace solution. Settlements are considered illegal by the international community and not conducive to the peace process, because they are built on disputed lands captured during a war and hence are in contravention of the Geneva Convention. Israel has therefore been under increasing pressure by the international community to curtail them but has so far failed to do so.

This is a difficult issue, fraught with risks, and one which has flummoxed successive US presidents. My view is that Mr. Trump must wade cautiously through this quagmire and try not to increase tensions (difficult though that may be). Personally, I am not in favour of expanded Israeli settlement building on occupied territories, and agree with the Resolution that was passed. I realize there are religious and cultural arguments, but in the end most nations of the world believe this is illegal and not conducive to peace, and so do I. Consequently, I am not in favour of the US taking a position which is at odds with the international community. We can now add the Israeli/Palestinian conflict boiling over to the list of issues the incoming Administration will have to deal with.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/12/23/world/middleeast/ap-ml-israel-united-nations.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-israel-palestine-settlements-un-vote-20161223-story.html

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/23/politics/us-israel-un-vote-donald-trump-netanyahu/

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Elkin-to-Jpost-Biden-told-Ukrainians-to-vote-against-Israel-476611

Finally, President Elect Trump met last week with the CEOs of both Boeing and Lockheed Martin, in an attempt to get costs down for both the Air Force One replacement and the costly F-35 fighter jet program. Regarding Lockheed, President Elect Trump is concerned about the $400 bn that the jet program costs, saying it is “very, very expensive.” Asked if he had managed to win any concessions, the President Elect said ”We're just beginning. It's a dance.

Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg told reporters that he had given President Elect Trump his personal commitment that he would get the Air Force One project done for less than the reported $4bn. “It was a terrific conversation” Mr. Muilenburg said.
    Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson wasn’t so positive, but said she had “a productive meeting” with the President Elect and she would be working to reduce costs of the jet program.
    3zjNR3V.jpg

Later Mr. Trump tweeted that he had asked Boeing to price out their older F-18 Hornet for the Pentagon, suggesting that he might be trying to pit the two companies against each other to get a better deal. It`s clear President Elect Trump is not afraid to use the bully pulpit of the Presidency to get cost reductions for the Federal Government which he promised, although it’s important to note that the F-18 doesn’t have the capabilities of the F-35, especially stealth, so this is shooting with blanks to an extent (for show).

"Based on the tremendous cost and cost overruns of the Lockheed Martin F-35, I have asked Boeing to price-out a comparable F-18 Super Hornet!"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/22/business/trump-boeing-lockheed-cut-costs-fighter-jets.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-defense-idUSKBN14B2GW
  • This is nothing more than one giant pro-Trump sinkhole: You know it won't change, but you get sucked into it.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,622
    Another good briefing package @bondjames

This is laudable leadership by President-elect!
    Coming to the aid of ally Israel, getting the Egyptians to back off, when Obama was unwilling to help.

The Israelis were concerned about a new precedent being set at the UN, and so Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu contacted the President Elect, who in turn called Egyptian President al-Sisi. The two leaders agreed on the call that the incoming administration should be allowed to deal with the peace issue first, and shortly thereafter, Egypt temporarily withdrew the resolution from the UN. The Israelis had already warned the Obama Administration that they would appeal to the President Elect directly if it looked like the US would abstain, and they did.

"We did reach out to the President-elect and are deeply appreciative that he weighed in, which was not a simple thing to do," the official said.

Trump understands negotiation 101. Always operate from strength. Pretty basic stuff. Even if Obama understood this, he never had the will, not to mention his relationship with Netanyahu and Israel was practically non-existent.
    Israel now has its most important ally back at the UN.

"peace between the Israelis and the Palestinians will only come through direct negotiations between the parties, and not through the imposition of terms by the United Nations…..This puts Israel in a very poor negotiating position and is extremely unfair to all Israelis." Said President Elect Trump.

"Israelis deeply appreciate one of the great pillars of the US-Israel alliance: the willingness over many years of the United States to stand up in the UN and veto anti-Israel resolutions," said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier. "I hope the US won't abandon this policy."
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Mr. Trump does indeed seem to be 'solution oriented'.

891f9ee33524dcff9fdda13d55eb4e41.jpg
    I see 15 pages on and you can't carry on an intelligent conversation?

The Boeing and Lockheed dealings that @bondjames details above are encouraging.
    I like that President-elect is at least making it clear that he intends to negotiate a good deal for taxpayers.
    The stereotype too often with government is that contractors walk all over it, in negotiations because everyone knows that government doesn't arse over cost to taxpayers, especially when bureaucrats are doing the dealing with little oversight.
    Whether the administration can get better value for public expenditures remains to be seen, but at least Trumpster is making the right noises, attempting to set a tone.
  • What is wrong with you dear @BondJames. Ever since Trump has been elected, you seem to appear like the "neutral news agency" on here. Which in essence isn't true, as a lot of pro-Trump-sentiment leaks into your so called 'news' posts. Isn't there a tiny bit of....worry when you see Trump acting like he does? Not a tiny bit? I'm sorry, you have become quite a bit of a 'rarity' out here.

Aren't there any people mentioning all the jobs that go with creating Joint Strike Fighters and Boeing's? Yes, you can glorify the industries of the old west (coal mining to name an example). But what about THIS?
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/oil-producers-turn-to-wind-power-1482753616

You fail to mention this kind of stuff. And it is stuff that Trump blatantly ignores. I think it's reckless and dangerous to completely ignore clean energy. In my country, The Netherlands, we try to get rid of our natural gas dependency in rapid succession by creating large windmill projects. Some already call it "The Dubai of the North Sea":
    https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2016/12/13/nog-even-en-er-hoeft-geen-subsidie-meer-bij-5777439-a1536442

Anyway, have a read. Ooowh, and in the meanwhile, try to say at times something like "Hmmm, yes @Gustav_Graves, that's indeed very worrying"......instead of writing off everything that's critical of Trump in a mere "We'll see!"-remark. I call it a nuanced form of blindness from your side. And I reckon this is another video that causes you blindness:
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    What is wrong with you dear @BondJames. Ever since Trump has been elected, you seem to appear like the "neutral news agency" on here. Which in essence isn't true, as a lot of pro-Trump-sentiment leaks into your so called 'news' posts. Isn't there a tiny bit of....worry when you see Trump acting like he does? Not a tiny bit? I'm sorry, you have become quite a bit of a 'rarity' out here.

Aren't there any people mentioning all the jobs that go with creating Joint Strike Fighters and Boeing's? Yes, you can glorify the industries of the old west (coal mining to name an example). But what about THIS?

You fail to mention this kind of stuff. And it is stuff that Trump blatantly ignores. I think it's reckless and dangerous to completely ignore clean energy. In my country, The Netherlands, we try to get rid of our natural gas dependency in rapid succession by creating large windmill projects. Some already call it "The Dubai of the North Sea":
    https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2016/12/13/nog-even-en-er-hoeft-geen-subsidie-meer-bij-5777439-a1536442

Anyway, have a read. Ooowh, and in the meanwhile, try to say at times something like "Hmmm, yes @Gustav_Graves, that's indeed very worrying"......instead of writing off everything that's critical of Trump in a mere "We'll see!"-remark. I call it a nuanced form of blindness from your side. And I reckon this is another video that causes you blindness:
    Which is the same thing you do on this forum.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited December 2016 Posts: 4,554
    timmer wrote: »

Coming to the aid of ally Israel, getting the Egyptians to back off, when Obama was unwilling to help.

Trump understands negotiation 101. Always operate from strength. Pretty basic stuff. Even if Obama understood this, he never had the will, not to mention his relationship with Netanyahu and Israel was practically non-existent.

Wow. Just...wow. As a Jew, and one who knows the state of Israel and knows what kind of nut job Netanyahu is, I can tell you that when it comes to Israel, Trump is NOT "negotiating" from a position of strength. What the Republicans have done and are still trying to do, with the backing of Sheldon Adelson, is let Israel control U.S. foreign policy. Obama is the one acting from a position of strength. Israel gets everything from us and we get nothing--absolutely NOTHING in return. We give Israel about $4B a year...hand it to them. We say, "Hear ya go." What Obama is doing is saying that that money means WE CONTROL their ass. And you know what? He's right. If we tell Israel to jump, then they need to ask "how high?" I am a Jew, proud of my heritage. But I have not been all that proud of the way the homeland has been acting...and there are millions out there who feel the same way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/29/opinion/israels-image-issue.html?_r=1

Trump is negotiating from a position of strength? =))
  • What is wrong with you dear @BondJames. Ever since Trump has been elected, you seem to appear like the "neutral news agency" on here. Which in essence isn't true, as a lot of pro-Trump-sentiment leaks into your so called 'news' posts. Isn't there a tiny bit of....worry when you see Trump acting like he does? Not a tiny bit? I'm sorry, you have become quite a bit of a 'rarity' out here.

Which is the same thing you do on this forum.

With one difference. You hail @BondJames and you write off my posts with one sentence. So much about being open for more sides of the story.

Oowh, and don't forget, I tried to have an open discussion in here about education. All I get is this:
    @Gustav_Graves, it's difficult to discuss education policy when the Administration is still pulling together its team and refining its plans. These will require congressional discussions and fleshing out. I am including below a link to the respective section in the President Elect's campaign site which outlines overall overall aims. He is 'school choice', supports a voucher program, and favours 'charter schools'. He is also not in favour of Common Core:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/education

Here are a few of my comments on the subject from earlier in this thread (some were in response to you):

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/673071/#Comment_673071

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/17390/the-trump-era-jan-20-2017-xxxx-political-discussion-including-foreign-impacts/p2

All nicely put to the bottom of one of one of his posts. On top of that, Trump's plans for educational investment are barely 500 words, and it's mainly about redistributing current budgets to ensure 'school choice' (whatever the hell that means) and 'charter & private schools'. So much about real long-term, broad investments in education.
  • << On top of that, Trump's plans for educational investment are barely 500 words, and it's mainly about redistributing current budgets to ensure 'school choice' (whatever the hell that means) and 'charter & private schools'. >>

Here's what that means (if the Republicans get their way):
    Tax monies can be siphoned off from public schools for use by private religious schools -- including ones that teach the earth is 6,000 years old, slavery wasn't really so bad, and that gay people are an unholy abomination (which the bible says are worthy of being stoned to death).

"School choice" has long been a dream of the American right wing... Under their plan, private schools will be eligible for tax money (via vouchers) even as they maintain the right to reject any applicant (non-Christians, blacks -- anybody from the "wrong side of town")... something public schools cannot do.

If this passes, expect to see huge numbers of private, exclusive religious schools to spring up, franchise-style ("McChristian" schools), so that the right-wing religious organizations which supported Trump can cash in on the gravy train.

Well-to-do folks will still send their kids to private schools, only now they'll get a tax-payer funded subsidy to do so.

Meanwhile, the poor folks will also get an "education voucher" for their kids... but the amount won't pay the full cost, so they'll be stuck with the (funding-starved) public schools. Keep in mind that the private schools would still be able to turn away any poor kids even if their parents can pay with a voucher... They can exclude anybody they want to, for any reason.
  • CraterGuns wrote: »
    << On top of that, Trump's plans for educational investment are barely 500 words, and it's mainly about redistributing current budgets to ensure 'school choice' (whatever the hell that means) and 'charter & private schools'. >>

Here's what that means (if the Republicans get their way):
    Tax monies can be siphoned off from public schools for use by private religious schools -- including ones that teach the earth is 6,000 years old, slavery wasn't really so bad, and that gay people are an unholy abomination (which the bible says are worthy of being stoned to death).

"School choice" has long been a dream of the American right wing... Under their plan, private schools will be eligible for tax money (via vouchers) even as they maintain the right to reject any applicant (non-Christians, blacks -- anybody from the "wrong side of town")... something public schools cannot do.

If this passes, expect to see huge numbers of private, exclusive religious schools to spring up, franchise-style ("McChristian" schools), so that the right-wing religious organizations which supported Trump can cash in on the gravy train.

Well-to-do folks will still send their kids to private schools, only now they'll get a tax-payer funded subsidy to do so.

Meanwhile, the poor folks will also get an "education voucher" for their kids... but the amount won't pay the full cost, so they'll be stuck with the (funding-starved) public schools. Keep in mind that the private schools would still be able to turn away any poor kids even if their parents can pay with a voucher... They can exclude anybody they want to, for any reason.

Thank you @CraterGuns. This is the kind of info we need. For the sake of all those poor families who feel left out by Washington on this matter. And although many of them voted for Trump, in an ironic twist for them it will only get worse.
    Negotiations are one thing that President Elect Trump understands implicitly. If that wasn't evident from his business career (and it should have been to his detractors), it should have become clear during the campaign, when he ran rings around everyone. So I agree with you on that.

Mr. Obama, although he has laudable personal qualities, never seemed to demonstrate that he knew how to do this, at least to this viewer.
    Whether the administration can get better value for public expenditures remains to be seen, but at least Trumpster is making the right noises, attempting to set a tone.
    I agree. It's all about tone at this point, as he's not yet in office - and he is sending a message with this and the Carrier deal to the business community. The messaging is the right one.
    TripAces wrote: »
    I am a Jew, proud of my heritage. But I have not been all that proud of the way the homeland has been acting...and there are millions out there who feel the same way.
    So I've read. I hope more people can speak up, to show that there is another viewpoint out there. At present, Congress seems to be following the Likud line.
    What is wrong with you dear @BondJames. Ever since Trump has been elected, you seem to appear like the "neutral news agency" on here. Which in essence isn't true, as a lot of pro-Trump-sentiment leaks into your so called 'news' posts. Isn't there a tiny bit of....worry when you see Trump acting like he does? Not a tiny bit? I'm sorry, you have become quite a bit of a 'rarity' out here.
    It's true that I don't attempt to lambast President Elect Trump. There are enough people out there doing that, including those here who took the unprecedented step of closing one thread and creating a new one dedicated to the bashing pursuit shortly after an election and before the man is even in office. So yes, I'm attempting to provide a different viewpoint. If that's a rarity, then so be it. I seem to recall being a rarity on the old thread that was closed down as well.
    Aren't there any people mentioning all the jobs that go with creating Joint Strike Fighters and Boeing's?
    That's not the point. The point is that the Air Force One and F35 Project are over budget and appear to be too expensive. Everyone knows that the private sector runs rings round the public sector in negotiations. I've been party to it myself during my consulting days, and believe me, we're not dealing with the brightest and best on the government side (the naivete about the corporate sector is unbelievable). Even if we were, the bureaucracy ensures that the system isn't efficient. If the Trump Administration tries to extract more cost savings from those who benefit from Government contracts, then I am all for it. That is exactly what the President Elect said he would do while on the campaign.
    Yes, you can glorify the industries of the old west (coal mining to name an example).
    I don't remember doing this at all. I could be wrong though.
    ut what about THIS?

I congratulate The Netherlands on looking into Wind Power as an energy source. I encourage it and hope that the Trump Administration and American energy companies will be open to this as an alternative approach. The 'Oil' lobby is a powerful player in D.C. (it always has been) and so this may take time.
    And I reckon this is another video that causes you blindness:
    I watch Shields and Brooks from time to time. I even have a copy of Mr. Brook's 2011 book, The Social Animal (an excellent read). What I see in that video is two commentators opining on someone they don't fully understand, namely Mr. Trump. Mr. Brooks says it best in his last words in that clip, which is something I said many months back on the old thread that was closed down, but which people don't seem to understand even today despite all the evidence.
    With one difference. You hail @BondJames and you write off my posts with one sentence. So much about being open for more sides of the story.
    I don't see @QuantumOrganization 'hailing' me anywhere, but thank him for pointing out some flaws in your reasoning.

@CraterGuns, all that you say about the voucher program could be true, but the trick will be in the implementation, as it always is. I am not in favour personally of a defunding of public schools at the expense of religious schools. I am in favour of school choice however and I believe in competition and alternatives. I understand the concern about the voucher system leading to a decline in funding for public schools. So it will come down to how the proposals and system are put in place and managed.
    TripAces wrote: »

Wow. Just...wow. As a Jew, and one who knows the state of Israel and knows what kind of nut job Netanyahu is, I can tell you that when it comes to Israel, Trump is NOT "negotiating" from a position of strength. What the Republicans have done and are still trying to do, with the backing of Sheldon Adelson, is let Israel control U.S. foreign policy. Obama is the one acting from a position of strength. Israel gets everything from us and we get nothing--absolutely NOTHING in return. We give Israel about $4B a year...hand it to them. We say, "Hear ya go." What Obama is doing is saying that that money means WE CONTROL their ass. And you know what? He's right. If we tell Israel to jump, then they need to ask "how high?" I am a Jew, proud of my heritage. But I have not been all that proud of the way the homeland has been acting...and there are millions out there who feel the same way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/29/opinion/israels-image-issue.html?_r=1

Trump is negotiating from a position of strength? =))

You may be a Jew, but you are also liberal, and that political persusion, I'll be kind, "informs" your worldview.
    Conservative Jews don't agree with you.
    Trump respects Israel as a political ally.
    He will continue to honor the time honored USA tradition of vetoing anti-Israel resolutions at the viper pit that is the United Nations.
This discussion has been closed.