Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• DarthDimi wrote: »
    Yeah, you're right! I actually rather love ST TMP, which I know isn't a popular opinion.
    Me too it's a visual experience I am happy to indulge in, it does take itself very seriously though I like it for that reason
  • Well I finally saw it last night.
    When Disney first announced that they would be making a Star Wars movie every year, I had this sinking feeling in the back of my head that if a movie comes out every year the experience will cheapened-- it would no longer be the 'event' that it used to be.

The first half of Rogue One was a bit slow, and I was sitting there thinking to myself: 'this is all right, but I'm not really feeling this one so far.'

HOWEVER.

At around the halfway mark, when Darth Vader first showed up and onward, the movie became an intense thrill ride. I was wide-eyed for the duration. I wasn't naive, I figured a few of these new characters would bite the dust, but some of them were hard to watch. When I walked out, the image of Jyn & Cassian hugging as they were about to be killed stuck with me.

When Rogue One was first announced, I sort of joked about the plot like a bunch of other people did, saying 'stealing the Death Star plans? That's just Kyle Katarn's warm up.' But on the contrary, this was a story worth telling, and my wife and I went home and watched A New Hope in a whole new light.
    Well I finally saw it last night.
    When Disney first announced that they would be making a Star Wars movie every year, I had this sinking feeling in the back of my head that if a movie comes out every year the experience will cheapened-- it would no longer be the 'event' that it used to be.

The first half of Rogue One was a bit slow, and I was sitting there thinking to myself: 'this is all right, but I'm not really feeling this one so far.'

HOWEVER.

At around the halfway mark, when Darth Vader first showed up and onward, the movie became an intense thrill ride. I was wide-eyed for the duration. I wasn't naive, I figured a few of these new characters would bite the dust, but some of them were hard to watch. When I walked out, the image of Jyn & Cassian hugging as they were about to be killed stuck with me.

When Rogue One was first announced, I sort of joked about the plot like a bunch of other people did, saying 'stealing the Death Star plans? That's just Kyle Katarn's warm up.' But on the contrary, this was a story worth telling, and my wife and I went home and watched A New Hope in a whole new light.

Nicely put.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Well I finally saw it last night.

HOWEVER.

=D>

Very nicely put! It does have one of the clumiest, clunkiest openings of a major film in a long time. Ten minutes in (and probably the same number of planets), I was very worried. But, alas, no need. It turned out to be great.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Rogue One has crossed $200 million domestically.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think it will pull in about $400m domestically and around $950m total. I'd be surprised if it crosses $1bn.
    I'm biased as I loved it but I think this "has legs" and I look forward to RO/Star Wars double bills in the New Year? I think it will do very well
    The last two SW movie fit far better with the original two as the prequels in which they made Darth Vader look like a total twat and took his veil of evilness away in exchange for whinny little b&tch.

It looks like Disney knows far better what to do with the franchise as good ole George himself actually did.
    I wonder if i can get a refund under false advertising laws, because the movie i saw clearly wasn't the one from the trailers. Maybe there's a directors cut coming later on. Still loved it though! Best star wars movie since empire!
    Its interesting that when video games are advertised, they now have a disclaimer "Not ingame footage". Perhaps we need a similar disclaimer on movie trailers?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SaintMark wrote: »
    The last two SW movie fit far better with the original two as the prequels in which they made Darth Vader look like a total twat and took his veil of evilness away in exchange for whinny little b&tch.

It looks like Disney knows far better what to do with the franchise as good ole George himself actually did.

Absolutely agreed. Writing s On the Wall sounds like it was written for Hayden Christensen. Not much left of the most iconic film villain of all time there.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Writing s On the Wall sounds like it was written for Hayden Christensen.

That's hilarious. It really could be the theme song for ROTS. Someone needs to make a montage of Christensen set to WOTW immediately!
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    That joker Christensen is probably the worst casting decision in the history of movies. Poor Natalie Portman almost looked embarrassed as she was forced to share the screen with him and bring her acting down to his level. Truly a tragic situation given the high expectations.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I don't think it was so much Hayden's acting rather than Lucas's poor writing and directing for the prequels. He's not the best actor in the world no but he's not the one who came up with lines like "I don't like sand, it's course, rough and gets everywhere." The prequels really needed the people who challenged Lucas in the 80's rather than the Yes men and women who said all his ideas were great.
    Ignorance is something not to be boasted about, but I have not seen any of the three prequals? Is there any point?
    Murdock wrote: »
    I don't think it was so much Hayden's acting rather than Lucas's poor writing and directing for the prequels. He's not the best actor in the world no but he's not the one who came up with lines like "I don't like sand, it's course, rough and gets everywhere." The prequels really needed the people who challenged Lucas in the 80's rather than the Yes men and women who said all his ideas were great.
    The writing was pretty bad, true. Remember "I killed them. I killed them all!!"

However this clown was definitely in over his head from the get-go. Even the kid was better than him.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    The writing was pretty bad, true. Remember "I killed them. I killed them all!!"

However this clown was definitely in over his head from the get-go. Even the kid was better than him.

With better writing and a better director I'm sure he would have been fine. Watch the Behind the scenes stuff. Lucas is practically sitting on a couch while he lazily directs his actors.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @patb, I think one has to be young enough to dive into the prequels if one desires to appreciate them. I was almost too old for Ep. I but got in right on time and managed some enthusiasm. However, after TFA and RO, I doubt the prequels are going to find many new fans. If you decide to watch them, do so out of interest, not out of some love you may have for Star Wars.
  • patb wrote: »
    Ignorance is something not to be boasted about, but I have not seen any of the three prequals? Is there any point?
    Give them a shot, but you'd better have coffee at the ready for Ep I & II. Lots of talking, sitting & talking, standing & talking, walking & talking, etc.
    The Star Wars you knew and loved is now about 'trade federations' and 'senates'.
    There are good parts (few and far between) in I & II.
    III is where it starts getting good, though it still has its boring parts.
    There is only one truly outstanding acting performance that I can remember in the entire prequel saga, and that is Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine.
  • To me, The Phantom Menace should be the 'Star Wars Story'.

Attack of the Clones can be Episode I.
    Revenge of the Sith can be Episode II.
    Rogue One can be Episode III.

Phantom Menace doesn't introduce anything AOTC doesn't (excluding Darth Maul & Qui Gon)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondjames wrote: »
    There is only one truly outstanding acting performance that I can remember in the entire prequel saga, and that is Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine.

McGregor as Obi-Wan was consistently great. I hope he comes back to the part at some point.
    Darth Maul was great, too. And Grievous.
    I thought it was ok but I'm getting tired of the lack of imagination. The only scenes that had any gravity were the last half hour. Star Wars shouldn't be about dullness. Sure make it gritty. But at least make it fun.

Why are people banging on about 'darkness' and 'grit' like it's the thing that all the others are lacking. Star Wars was never really dark. Empire isn't dark. It's dramatic.

I don't know I thought it was the SW equivalent of Spectre.
    McDiarmid, Neeson and McGregor were the best parts of the prequels.
  • I also feel that Christopher Lee was CRIMINALLY wasted, and he had the stupidest name out of all the movies (and that's quite an achievement...)
    Should have called him Count Draku.
    I also feel that Christopher Lee was CRIMINALLY wasted, and he had the stupidest name out of all the movies (and that's quite an achievement...)

Ever since 1999 all most Star Wars character names have been stupid.
    Snokes was pretty good.
    Snoke if you got em.