Pierce Brosnan's tenure as James Bond ended 10 years ago

Comments

Murdock wrote: »
    Does every thread about Brosnan have to become a bash thread? 8-|

Because three out of his four films are not good, fairly or not. He was a victim of poor directors, except for Campbell, and bad scripts.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Because three out of his four films are not good, fairly or not. He was a victim of poor directors, except for Campbell, and bad scripts.

That's your opinion, not fact! In my opinion, Three out of his four films were excellent his final being mediocre.
    I'll be kind and say that the second two were merely okay. Goldeneye was great, the last one, yeeesh.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    In my opinion, Three out of his four films were excellent his final being mediocre.
    I heartily concur! But doubleohdoody seems intent on crapping all over many Bond movies without cogent discussion. It's his way or the snydeway.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    In my opinion, Three out of his four films were excellent his final being mediocre.
    I heartily concur! But doubleohdoody seems intent on crapping all over many Bond movies without cogent discussion. It's his way or the snydeway.
    Emotions have running high here lately. People being harsh and critical of other's views and opinions, quick to make assumptions and state opinion's as fact. It's like the politics thread but spread out into the forum. Strange really.
    I think it's a side effect of so little news on B24. Like the sharks in the tank before feeding time - beginning to turn on each other.
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,696
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think it's a side effect of so little news on B24. Like the sharks in the tank before feeding time - beginning to turn on each other.
    @Getafix, bollocks! I'll beat you like the dog you are! I'll give a virtual verbal beating to any man here that dare opposes my opinion that we should all live together in peace as Bond fans!

OMG...@Getafix... you're right....

it's feeding time!
    ~X(

:))
    Getafix wrote: »

I may have a strong love of movies, but I'd never let it ramp me up like that. I'm always cool as a cucumber around here. :p
    I blame the green lobby! Muesli eating Commies!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I, as with everything else, blame the Republicans.
    I blame overemotional & illogical human reaction to immediate needs and wants. It's a Yangs & Kohms thing.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I blame overemotional & illogical human reaction to immediate needs and wants. It's a Yangs & Kohms thing.
    I am not a Pleeb! :))
    I am not a Pleeb! :))
    Watch that bucket! :)

I think we might be losing the non-Trek fans here... :P
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh this made me laugh out loud; just great. Thanks for that. I may be half the world away but I'm right there with you on some things. :)

So ... anything anyone have to say related to Brosnan's Bond? In a non-bashing way? Anybody? I'll wait. I'm patient that way.

I'll go make dinner, finish my dissertation on why Tomorrow Never Dies is one of the top 10 best Bond films, eat my dinner, read half a Fleming novel, say good night to my friends whom I live with, step out on my balcony to gaze at the stars and toast SirHenry with my nightcap of Sangria (while "Surrender" plays softly in my mind), then jump under the blankets and sleep like a warm little Danish. :D

Anon, I hope to find at least one upbeat, positive comment re Brosnan on this thread.

Cheers! :)>-
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    So ... anything anyone have to say related to Brosnan's Bond? In a non-bashing way? Anybody? I'll wait. I'm patient that way.

He always looked bloody good in a suit.
    bondjames wrote: »

He always looked bloody good in a suit.

Yes, he would have made an excellent catalogue model.
    Seeing as Dalton had dropped out, there was no other actor that could have done more with the role of Bond at that time than Pierce. I was and am forever grateful to the stars for aligning on that one. From 1995 - 1999 I was a supremely happy Bond camper. =D>
    The Bros was awesome in the train where he says, "You first," then, "You second."

I actually think WOrld has a pretty good story, except for the scene where he has the bad guy in his hands and does not simply kill him. In the tunnels. People in the audience were like, "C'mon, shoot him."
    Finishing my thought, World was mostly the victim of a pretty mediocre director. Martin Campbell or a better director would have tightened up the script and made another very good Bond film, like GE.
    Let me say this I glad he gone. 1987 he fail to replace Roger Moore when Timothy Dalton got chance. Now it finally over no way he can make come back to the role. I don't want any of son being the next James Bond. Who I saw in the list may be in Bond 26. I accept those actors,Like Jim Norton for example I will accept him.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,325
    The Bros was awesome in the train where he says, "You first," then, "You second."

I actually think WOrld has a pretty good story, except for the scene where he has the bad guy in his hands and does not simply kill him. In the tunnels. People in the audience were like, "C'mon, shoot him."

The reason why he stops is because Renard says if a phone call isn't made Elektra dies. I think some of PB's worst acting is in that scene.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Broz was an excellent Bond in my book. GE is still a franchise high. I really like TWINE as well, it was my first Bond and I will always have a soft spot for it.

TND and DAD are not the greatest but even in those entries Brosnan shines as Bond. I love how elegant Brosnan always moved over the screen, this guy was born to wear a tuxedo.

Furthermore, I can add as a nostalgic note that I've never been much of a gamer but the Brosnan games gave me lots of joy in my teens.
    Brosnan much like 1980's Roger Moore has grown on me indeed seeing the current environment we live in Tomorrow never dies might be the most accurate James Bond film of all time... like I said his tenure has grown on me but he isn't great it's also a shame he is stuck between two great Tenures Dalton and Craig.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

I agree. The low point of the series for me.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'm sure that @Thunderfinger has this date highlighted on his calendar. Rumour is he may even have a tattoo of it on his wrist... :D
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited December 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Brosnan may lament his performance as Bond. I am not going to express an opinion either way but compared to the dull misdirected Dalton who deserved better than Glen Brosnan finally made Bond cool again with the masses.

Had we not had Brosnan we may never have had Craig. Brosnan flawed or not set up the stage for Craig.

PS. I don't disagree with the criticisms of Brosnan and Dalton but I am a fan of both. I just wish both tenures had gone better.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I just wish both tenures had gone better.
    Indeed. I agree. It was a case of missed opportunities all round for almost two decades in my view.
    Indeed. I agree. It was a case of missed opportunities all round for almost two decades in my view.

I couldn't agree more. I would actually go as far to say that in some ways the franchise never really fully recovered from the 6 year gap. Certainly box office wise it did, but Dalton deserved a successful third and fourth Bond. GE brought back the coolness, but Pierce deserved far better than what followed. Although many dislike TND, TWINE and DAD, at the time his popularity was immense. He was the perfect guy for the part, and the series embraced the elements fans loved and expected from Bond. At the time of GE and TND, the general feeling was Bond was back and the future of the series was secured in the hands of Brosnan. I wish the hell we had that feeling now, rather than the uncertainty that is B25.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I couldn't agree more. I would actually go as far to say that in some ways the franchise never really fully recovered from the 6 year gap. Certainly box office wise it did, but Dalton deserved a successful third and fourth Bond. GE brought back the coolness, but Pierce deserved far better than what followed. Although many dislike TND, TWINE and DAD, at the time his popularity was immense. He was the perfect guy for the part, and the series embraced the elements fans loved and expected from Bond. At the time of GE and TND, the general feeling was Bond was back and the future of the series was secured in the hands of Brosnan. I wish the hell we had that feeling now, rather than the uncertainty that is B25.

Brilliant post. The franchise was on track, then went off with TWINE and DAD. Then they arguably went too far the other way with the reboot.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    A sad day. And in retrospect a grave mistake even if SP finally brought back the Golden Age of Bond fun and entertainment.
    Unimaginable the great films we could have gotten with an older Brosnan.
    Instead we got artsy director experiments like QOS and SF.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Brilliant post. The franchise was on track, then went off with TWINE and DAD. Then they arguably went too far the other way with the reboot.

Thanks, Mendes! Arguably is right. Although many love the Craig era, the proof to that argument could well be the current status on a new film. The Craig era has been a mixture of direction and tone- nothing felt on track really, other than the box office success. Mixing up the formula too much gives me the feeling the series is on it's last legs, which I never felt during the Brosnan era. As I left a screening of SP with my friends, their response was "Wow, it's obvious the filmmakers have no idea WHAT to do with the character!". I can honestly say, even after DAD, I didn't feel that way. My response was DAD was way too over the top, but Brosnan's 5th would be toning it down.