Pierce Brosnan's tenure as James Bond ended 10 years ago

M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
edited October 2014 in Actors Posts: 4,391
Today 12th October or tomorrow 13th October it be 10 years a go Brosnan was official confirmed (by Brosnan himself) he will not return for Bond 21.

Not something to celebrate, but i think a good moment to stand still about because it was hell of ride the last half-year/year before that and the time after it. But also because we are now on moment Daniel Craig his 4th Bond movie go in to production and next year when it be released he and Brosnan have made both 4 movies in 10 years.

I think we should keep in mind hell of ride of Brosnan wil start with Daniel Craig now he be in draw with Brosnan soon..
Possible some Journalist will making fun again about Brosnan be beat by Daniel Craig or/and Daniel Craig will get questions or it not be time to go..

As said before, I think on this moment Daniel Craig is not finished yet and maybe should make a 6th movie to let him go.
But with respect for Brosnan: Sometimes I think it is difficult that from one side I think DC should stay because I miss continued and ansers in his movies. If there finish this in Bond 25, then Bond 26 is needed to be a real standalone.
«1345

Comments

  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 13,870
    Geez, all I read was 'PB RIP'. Don't scare me like that!

    I still wish Broz slipped in one more film in 2004. *sigh*
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,320
    I agree I about had a mini heart attack. Could it be changed to "Brosnan's Tenure as Bond"?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,666
    Thanks for the heart attack. I need one every so often to keep me real. ^#(^
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Posts: 7,314
    Was it ten years ago? My, how time flies. Thank you Mr. Brosnan for your time as Bond and thank you even more to Mr. Craig for taking over. A change was needed.
  • Posts: 1,146
    Awesome as directed by Martin Campbell, pretty mediocre directed by the other three. WOuld have loved to have seen him directed by Campbell in the other films.
    That about sums ole' Pierce up for me.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 23,351
    Yeah it's hard to believe for me too. Brosnan still feels like that Bond they let go only yesterday with Craig the 'new' Bond. But it's over nine years now since Craig was first announced as Bond. Nine years! That's longer than the time Brosnan spent on playing Bond. I guess it's because I was in my teens most of Brosnan's era and I experienced the Bond films on a different time scale than I do the Craigs.
  • Posts: 1,146
    Interesting how Craig's Bond stayed true though Quantum, a flawed film and not as good as the two that bracket it, while after Goldeneye Bros' Bond seemed to whither into a regular person playing the role.
  • Posts: 2,400
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Thanks for the heart attack. I need one every so often to keep me real. ^#(^

    Best MI6 comment ever?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Posts: 12,459
    A memorable Bond - and one of my favorites. Time flies ...

    Thank you, Pierce, for your time and energy and inimitable style. B-) Thanks especially for GE and TND, which will always been in my top ten. You deserved a fifth film or at least a far better film to go out on than the one you got.

    Very happy to see your continued success post-Bond - your versatility and commitment shine on. Your character as a person is evident from what you say and how you live your life (from what we, just the general public, can discern). You seem like a truly fine person, and I will always wish the very best for you. =D>

    AND I'm quite happy I did not see this thread's original title, because I would have had a heart attack, too, @chrisisall!
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 99
    Craig...lol
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 23,351
    Craig...lol

    @Craigisnotbond

    Please refrain from adding spam like this. Thank you. This thread isn't even about Daniel Craig.


  • Posts: 1,146
    Brosnan was a Bond that was great under Campbell in GE and could have used better directors in the other films.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,666
    Brosnan was a Bond that was great under Campbell in GE and could have used better directors in the other films.
    A Connery b*tch slap to you, my friend. TND was well directed. If you have problems with the story, denigrate the writers & producers.
    :)>-
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited October 2014 Posts: 1,727
    Granted, whilst he will never be my favorite (or even close), Brosnan was solid enough and honestly didn't get any good scripts after GE, through no fault of his own.

    He should indeed have been given a better send-off than DAD, a 'FYEO'-ish down to earth swansong would have been far more fitting for him, and whilst I have never thought of him as a real actor (he got by on looks and that sticky charm of his alone, really) I suppose he did have his moments...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 23,351
    Title fixed.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,666
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Title fixed.
    Thanks- that was bugging me.
    =D>
  • I suppose had Brosnan come back for one down to earth movie, it would have made Craig's CR debut seem less like the solid departure it was. There would have been less of a contrast. Imagine a young, virile actor in FYEO for instance, taking over. That said, it may have sunk the franchise without Moore's charm and bankability.
  • Posts: 11,119
    I tried to watch DAD the other day. Since I have the entire collection on BluRay, I also wanted to rewatching this one again......after letting that movie dust away for like 2,5 years.

    And in all honesty? I STILL can't manage to watch that one out completely. This time around.....I was very irritated about the actual villain. Toby Stephens as villain didn't convince me in the slightest. This guy's constant anger on his face.....is tiresome.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2014 Posts: 23,883
    To be honest, I don't think he was that great in Goldeneye. Goldeneye was by far his best Bond film with a superb supporting cast that deserve to be congratulated for their work, but Brosnan was quite wooden in it, although he looked better than he did in any of his other Bonds.

    I personally think his best performance was in DAD, although the film itself belongs in a Hall of Shame., He was confident and closest to Connery in the beginning of DAD, although his performance in the 2nd half was terrible (I think even he could sense the movie was falling apart by this point).

    I think his TND & especially TWINE (the parts where he confronts Electra and shows pain at being betrayed in Baku are quite excruciating for me to watch...like a jilted, hurt teenage lover. Also, the part where he recognizes that Renard was working for Electra.....the "huh" moment if you will while he's pointing a gun at his head...horrible acting here).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,666
    Yes, he's a horrible actor. That's why his career has always been in the toilet. I believe he works for a local dog pound these days. :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,320
    Does every thread about Brosnan have to become a bash thread? 8-|
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,666
    Murdock wrote: »
    Does every thread about Brosnan have to become a bash thread? 8-|
    It seems to be the case.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Posts: 5,080
    Any thread where Brosnan or Moore are mentioned is a bash thread, unfortunately.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2014 Posts: 23,883
    With Brosnan I think it's the inconsistency that gets to people. He really did not make the role his own unlike some of the others who had long tenures (Craig, Connery, Moore).

    His performances were quite inconsistent and his movies did decline rather than get better. These are facts that I think most would not dispute.

    He had a lot of potential, but he did not really live up to it. I think he knows that too, as he has said in recent interviews about his time as Bond. Here are his quotes from an interview in the Telegraph. I could not have said it better myself, and I don't think any other Bond actor would need to lament like this after the fact except him:

    "I felt I was caught in a time warp between Roger [Moore] and Sean [Connery]," said Brosnan. "It was a very hard one to grasp the meaning of, for me. The violence was never real, the brute force of the man was never palpable. It was quite tame, and the characterisation didn't have a follow-through of reality, it was surface. But then that might have had to do with my own insecurities in playing him as well."

    He added: "I have no desire to watch myself as James Bond. 'Cause it's just never good enough. It's a horrible feeling."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,666
    If Brosnan states something about himself, it must be true. Just like the fact that I am God. Now pray to me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I'm on my knees. Should I face east? Lol
  • Posts: 1,548
    Any thread where Brosnan or Moore are mentioned is a bash thread, unfortunately.

    To be fair to the man Brosnan can act when given the chance. Moore himself on the other hand always highlights his lack of acting skills in interview. Nuff said.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Posts: 5,080
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Any thread where Brosnan or Moore are mentioned is a bash thread, unfortunately.
    Moore himself on the other hand always highlights his lack of acting skills in interview. Nuff said.

    I'm going to echo @chrisisalls's comment here-

    If Moore States something about himself, it must be true.

    Moore can't act? =)) =))
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,666
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Any thread where Brosnan or Moore are mentioned is a bash thread, unfortunately.
    Moore himself on the other hand always highlights his lack of acting skills in interview. Nuff said.

    I'm going to echo @chrisisalls's comment here-

    If Moore States something about himself, it must be true.

    Moore can't act? =)) =))
    Self-deprication is not always FACT.
Sign In or Register to comment.