Bond movie ranking (Simple list, no details)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    SF I like, it's Bond (still), but it's the only Bond I would give a rating below 7.0 (out of 10.0).
    Too much is wrong with it.
    I watched it once, and tried twice more (bailed both times)... I WILL try again, since it IS a Bond movie, and I love the title song and the last few minutes, but it won't be easy.
    /:)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    in which a lot of the SP fans didn't take part in.
  • GBFGBF
    I find it very interesting that so many people like one of the two but dislike the other, even though both had the same director, the same composer and the same actor to play Bond. They also brought back Moneypenny and Q. Both films, have a strong focus on the vulnerability of mi6 and partly discuss the danger of the technical revolution in the spy sector. Both have London as a main location and the villain's motivation is revenge for something that happened in the past.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    GBF wrote: »
    I find it very interesting that so many people like one of the two but dislike the other, even though both had the same director, the same composer and the same actor to play Bond. They also brought back Moneypenny and Q. Both films, have a strong focus on the vulnerability of mi6 and partly discuss the danger of the technical revolution in the spy sector. Both have London as a main location and the villain's motivation is revenge for something that happened in the past.

Exactly. I find both of them so alike. Just like I find similarities in all Bond films that a given director has done (even Goldfinger and Diamonds are Forever)

edited November 2016 Posts: 2,252
    in which a lot of the SP fans didn't take part in.

Regardless of one's personal bias towards or against a film, here is the objective collection of rankings of both Bond forums, and random websites

uDr2t6Q.png

Notes:
    - CR beats Goldfinger for the general public!
    - TLD, OP, and OHMSS are always viewed worse by the "general public". FYEO took a dive this time too
    - TWINE is viewed in higher regard by non-Bond fans
    - The overall rankings generally stay the same over time
    - "Website" includes entertainment/movie review sites, youtube, non-Bond forums, reddit, imdb, blogs, and therefore does include rankings from Bond fans

Average ranking
    Peu88rV.png
  • GBFGBF
    w2bond wrote: »

Exactly. I find both of them so alike. Just like I find similarities in all Bond films that a given director has done (even Goldfinger and Diamonds are Forever)

I must admit, however, that I also like SF much mpore than SP. However, I think that this is just because of the higher quality of almost everything in SF.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm actually surprised to see OHMSS score so highly (6) in the random website ranking. I didn't think many of the general public even knew about that film. The same goes for Dalton's TLD (8).
    TND, TMWTGG & QOS are so low on both listings, so unfair.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised to see OHMSS score so highly (6) in the random website ranking. I didn't think many of the general public even knew about that film. The same goes for Dalton's TLD (8).

@bondjames I should separate the random website lists into entertainment sites, and random user rankings (youtube, blogs). Perhaps that will tell a different story, or maybe not...
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 2,107
    Brosnan top 5, because I can view them with fresh eyes, having just watched them;

1. Goldeneye (switched places with TND)
    2. TND
    3. DIE ANOTHER DAY(switched places with TWINE)
    4. TWINE

All in all, I'm glad Brosnan replaced Dalton after LTK

Dalton ;

1. TLD
    2. LTK (switched places)

I'm pleased what Brosnan brought into the role and after the first wave of modern Bond (to me the modern Bond started with the Dalts) the two incarnations of Bond also switched places.

Brozzer > the Daltz

I really miss Brosnan. Could've done one more could've played almost to this day, were't it for Craig. Happy we got him. But I'm already ooen for new Bond a like of the Brozzanator.
  • GBFGBF

Maybe the majprity of people who vote there are also Bond fans...

@bondjames I should separate the random website lists into entertainment sites, and random user rankings (youtube, blogs). Perhaps that will tell a different story, or maybe not...
    That would be interesting to see @w2bond. I'm the only rabid Bond fan in my extended family although the others are quite familiar with the films and actors (especially my parents, who introduced me to the character). If I ask them about OHMSS, about 50% wouldn't know what the film was about, unless I mention that it's the one with the other guy, in which his wife dies.

Maybe the majprity of people who vote there are also Bond fans...
    That's indeed possible.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

That would be interesting to see @w2bond. I'm the only rabid Bond fan in my extended family although the others are quite familiar with the films and actors (especially my parents, who introduced me to the character). If I ask them about OHMSS, about 50% wouldn't know what the film was about, unless I mention that it's the one with the other guy, in which his wife dies.

About 50 percent of your parents?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883

About 50 percent of your parents?
    I realized that would be unclear when typing it and should have clarified. I meant 50% of my extended family. My parents, being the bigger fans like me, would probably know the film but I'm curious to confirm that now.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So maybe 90 percent of your parents?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    So maybe 90 percent of your parents?
    That would be about right. I'd probably have to give several hints before my mum remembered Laz's name and associated it with OHMSS. My dad would get it right away.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Brosnan top 5, because I can view them with fresh eyes, having just watched them;

2. TND
    4. TWINE

Dalton ;

1. TLD
    2. LTK (switched places)

I'm pleased what Brosnan brought into the role and after the first wave of modern Bond (to me the modern Bond started with the Dalts) the two incarnations of Bond also switched places.

Brozzer > the Daltz

I really miss Brosnan. Could've done one more could've played almost to this day, were't it for Craig. Happy we got him. But I'm already ooen for new Bond a like of the Brozzanator.

I miss him as well. I always had a blast seeing the new Brosnan Bond films opening night. I imagine those only familiar with the Craig era might not quite relate, but Brosnan as Bond was immensely popular. The general public, as well as hardcore fans loved him. With Dalton, it was mostly the fans that supported his Bond, and the general movie audiences dismissed him and the films. With Pierce in the role, the attitude was the series was finally back on track, and although some looked at TWINE as being a bit flat, and DAD as being too OTT, they were huge successes.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I have said it before, but I would love to see older Brosnan return in a one off for BOND 25, with the serious sensibilities that he brought to THE NOVEMBER MAN, in a real Fleming adaptation. Preferably a faithful go at THE SPY WHO LOVED ME (surely that rider Fleming had included is expired by now). I don't ever expect to see it, but that would be my dream.

That would be great!
    I have said it before, but I would love to see an older Brosnan return in a one off for BOND 25, with the serious sensibilities that he brought to THE NOVEMBER MAN, in a real Fleming adaptation. Preferably a faithful go at THE SPY WHO LOVED ME (surely that rider Fleming had included is expired by now). I don't ever expect to see it, but that would be my dream.

Oh man, what a dream.... [-O<
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Let's make it a reality.
    HlvzogYl.jpg
    Murdock wrote: »
    Let's make it a reality.
    HlvzogYl.jpg

Nice one @Murdock !

ToTheRight wrote: »

2. TND
    4. TWINE

Dalton ;

1. TLD
    2. LTK (switched places)

Brozzer > the Daltz

I miss him as well. I always had a blast seeing the new Brosnan Bond films opening night. I imagine those only familiar with the Craig era might not quite relate, but Brosnan as Bond was immensely popular. The general public, as well as hardcore fans loved him. With Dalton, it was mostly the fans that supported his Bond, and the general movie audiences dismissed him and the films. With Pierce in the role, the attitude was the series was finally back on track, and although some looked at TWINE as being a bit flat, and DAD as being too OTT, they were huge successes.

I loved him at the time too and remember how popular he was. Not just amongst "fanboys" but also amongst normal intelligent people.
    BAIN123 wrote: »

2. TND
    4. TWINE

Dalton ;

1. TLD
    2. LTK (switched places)

Brozzer > the Daltz

I loved him at the time too and remember how popular he was. Not just amongst "fanboys" but also amongst normal intelligent people.
    I'd like to think I'm a normal intelligent person (questionable to some perhaps, and understandably). I loved Brosnan in GE. With each subsequent entry, my respect for his performance declined considerably, especially as he brought more of his persona into it (which these actors inevitably do as they go along). However, I thought he brought his 'A' game to DAD. Pity about the film.

2. TND
    4. TWINE

Dalton ;

1. TLD
    2. LTK (switched places)

Brozzer > the Daltz

I'd like to think I'm a normal intelligent person (questionable to some perhaps, and understandably). I loved Brosnan in GE. With each subsequent entry, my respect for his performance declined considerably, especially as he brought more of his persona into it (which these actors inevitably do as they go along). However, I thought he brought his 'A' game to DAD. Pity about the film.

I hope I didn't sound patronising. All I meant was that his reception seemed to be genuinely positive, not just amongst newbies like myself but also amongst older people too.

2. TND
    4. TWINE

Dalton ;

1. TLD
    2. LTK (switched places)

Brozzer > the Daltz

I hope I didn't sound patronising. All I meant was that his reception seemed to be genuinely positive, not just amongst newbies like myself but also amongst older people too.
    No no, not at all. I was just having a bit of fun. Sorry, just my misplaced humour. It wasn't directed at you.
    Pierce was an excellent compromise for those who didn't care for the harder edged Dalton Bond as well as those who weren't fans of Moore's lighthearted humor. Yet at the same time, his performance didn't alienate fans of either. He was fairly universally loved and considered by many to be the next best Bond to Sean.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Pierce was an excellent compromise for those who didn't care for the harder edged Dalton Bond as well as those who weren't fans of Moore's lighthearted humor. Yet at the same time, his performance didn't alienate fans of either. He was fairly universally loved and considered by many to be the next best Bond to Sean.

well said.
    At the time back then he was my #1 guy. I still love him today.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Happy to see Pierce getting some well-deserved love (I hope I didn't just jinx it).
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

It wasn't Dalton's harder edge that turned people off at the time. It was his basic lack of charisma which Moore and Connery had in excess. He and his films were perceived as dull. I don't remember one damned person saying "Too Dark!" People some real charm with their cold-blooded Bond. In many ways GE was darker than TLD, and Brosnan was cold Bond (as cold as any beforehand). But he had charm.

True.