You're in charge of EON. First things you do?

13»

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Actually it would be rather easy to adapt Bond for TV. Look at all the period pieces tv shows that are around. Many of them look like major A-film cinema productions.
    All it needs is clever story writing. That's the key to success.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Actually it would be rather easy to adapt Bond for TV. Look at all the period pieces tv shows that are around. Many of them look like major A-film cinema productions.
    All it needs is clever story writing. That's the key to success.

Mad Men comes to mind here. I concur. For some treason, though, Bond on TV has been a very undeveloped medium.
    Just because its a period piece does not make it easy to write. Are we taking about a story divided into perhaps 6 , hourly episodes? This is something that is very hard to do and writers make it look easy.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think period pieces are harder to write, if one cares about authenticity.
    I'd do them as 90 mins all in one episodes rather than splitting one story across multiple episodes.
    Pray.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 4,599
    As soon as you do that, you go outside the comfort zone for the format that has worked so well with the "boxset" formular - the cliff hanger concept that either gets you coming back next week or pressing a button and watching another episode plus the 60 min episode seems to be the standard. With 90 min, you are effectively producing a set of movies with no connection other than the characters..more like the Poirot mysteries that ITV did.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 4,325
    patb wrote: »
    As soon as you do that, you go outside the comfort zone for the format that has worked so well with the "boxset" formular - the cliff hanger concept that either gets you coming back next week or pressing a button and watching another episode plus the 60 min episode seems to be the standard. With 90 min, you are effectively producing a set of movies with no connection other than the characters..more like the Poirot mysteries that ITV did.

The 90mins format works well with the Swedish dramas Beck and Wallander.
    yes but they are not being compared to a movie, if you go for a 90 min TV Bond, then its inevitable they will be compared to the movie version and they will allways come off worse.
    yes but they are not being compared to a movie, if you go for a 90 min TV Bond, then its inevitable they will be compared to the movie version and they will allways come off worse.

Not sure they would as they would be period pieces, completely different to the film series.
    But the SC era movies are now period pieces in the eyes of a modern audience. So the comparison would be there IMHO. You have a TV Bond, moving around within the SC era (fashion, cars, language, etc )
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 4,325
    But the SC era movies are now period pieces in the eyes of a modern audience. So the comparison would be there IMHO. You have a TV Bond, moving around within the SC era (fashion, cars, language, etc )

Disagree. Okay how about 91min episodes?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I was thinking more along the lines of faithful renditions of MR, DAF, LALD AND YOLT. Novels that were all treated shabbily by the filmmakers.

Would love to see them done properly.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    First of all, I would praise the whole team that worked previously. And hope to do as good as (unless better, implied because we all want to improve) they did. Imagine I have about the same very huge budget. Put the current or recent serie on the fridge for a while.

Announce the future installment of the new Bond actor : read the whole Young Bond serie then find someone fresh and younger that would fit the role close to perfectly. Screentests, screentests and screentests over again. Even non-actors (yet). Also non-Brits with great English skills, and a certain knowledge about the serie/role etc.
    Keep some people in mind for supporting roles. Same about directors, music composers. Keep Daniel Kleinman and some of the main working staff. Get rid of some others. Ask Michael Bublé to make a Bond song at the end of the future film.

The final aim is to show how James Bond lived as a kid (1 actor), a teenager (a second actor) and (most interesting part) how he became a Commander of the Royal Navy (a third actor) ; describe on screen his missions pre-CR until we go on that opening scene from CR06. The number of films would obviously depend on the main content before CR.
    ---
    After that, make spin-off TV series (as mentioned before) including either some villains, either Moneypenny, Felix Leiter... only for eclecticism.

---

Finally, come back to the main serie post-SPECTRE, with Michael Fassbender as 007 for a 3 films contract (+2) with new stand alone stories.

Voilà.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Remake CR as a period piece, starring Michael Fassbender.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Lay out a long term plan for at least 3 movies with the same actor within 6 calendar years. Re-hire Whishaw, Kinnear, Fiennes and Harris.

Have a court order against P+W+L and Newman not to be allowed anywhere near a Bond production.

Try to get Martin Campbell. If that doesn't work, get Baird or someone of his caliber that actually knows how to direct action and actors.

Try to get David Arnold for the score. If that doesn't work, get Alexandre Desplat who certainly would be willing to do it.

I agree with all of this, except for Kinnear. I would also add thinking through the character of Fiennes' M in particular. (Does he disdain Bond? Does he like him? Are they a team or at odds?) As great as an actor as he is, he still hasn't had his definitive scene.

But it starts with sacking P&W. They are the ones to blame for SP's biggest problems.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 1,661
    I would consider finding a rather handsome guy who can do confidence/arrogance and charm. If he's a George Lazenby type with zero acting experience, just manufacture some backstory acting experience! If the guy can act the part, he can act the part. No-one is gonna care what he's done or not done before. But of course proper actors with experience should be given serious consideration too.

I'd do Bond 25 with the 00 division closed. No 00 operatives work. Bond is no longer a 00 agent and he's been forced to retire. He does help Felix Leiter on some small missions on US soil but it's small-scale stuff. Assisting the CIA but nothing major.

A new threat emerges - perhaps the return of SPECTRE (not Blofeld in control as he's in prison) and MI6 - radically different to the Brosnan/Craig era MI6 - is under pressure to reinstate the 00 division. However the 00 agents were given the right to new identities when leaving MI6 so they're actual whereabout is not certain. Some 00s work freelance, others like Bond have retired.

SPECTRE capture several former 00 operatives and use new brain mind control therapy to tap into their secrets.

Bond is informed by M - now demoted to the a lower civil servant department - about the captured 00s. M can't authorize Bond to go into the field to rescue the 00 agenst because M is no longer in charge. M has been told that the new M at MI6 doesn't want to waste manpower and money trying to find the 00 agents because it's not been confirmed SPECTRE is responsible. They believe the 00s are own their own and if they get captured or killed then so be it. All 00 agents have signed the official secrets act and are duty bound never to sell secrets to other world powers. There is some conflict within MI6 about the fate of the old 00s but it's decided the 00 division - with new 00 agents - is not going to return. It's outdated. New drone tech and robots can do much of what the old 00 division did and at a much cheaper cost.

M has been given info from a reliable source that SPECTRE is back and they want to use the 00 agents against MI6. SPECTRE want to brainwash as many 00s as possible. Bond realizes this is a terrible scenario and decides to help.

The end of the film has Bond defeating SPECTRE and saving some of the 00 agents. Bond works for a secret US-UK black ops group united in defeating SPECTRE. Felix provides key intel. MI6 acknowledge Bond's bravery and the 00 division is reinstated. Bond is back as 007. The former M takes over.

Bond 25 is called

SHAKEN NOT STIRRED

It would be marketed as "Bond retired." The trailer would have Bond say

"The world doesn't need me anymore. And I don't need it."

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Make an arrangement to meet Timothy Dalton my idol and see that he gets a cameo in the next Bond film.
  • GumboldGumbold Atlantis
    I'd get Martin Campbell, Quentin Tarantino and Christopher Nolan to direct.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I would consider finding a rather handsome guy who can do confidence/arrogance and charm. If he's a George Lazenby type with zero acting experience, just manufacture some backstory acting experience! If the guy can act the part, he can act the part. No-one is gonna care what he's done or not done before. But of course proper actors with experience should be given serious consideration too.

I'd do Bond 25 with the 00 division closed. No 00 operatives work. Bond is no longer a 00 agent and he's been forced to retire. He does help Felix Leiter on some small missions on US soil but it's small-scale stuff. Assisting the CIA but nothing major.

A new threat emerges - perhaps the return of SPECTRE (not Blofeld in control as he's in prison) and MI6 - radically different to the Brosnan/Craig era MI6 - is under pressure to reinstate the 00 division. However the 00 agents were given the right to new identities when leaving MI6 so they're actual whereabout is not certain. Some 00s work freelance, others like Bond have retired.

SPECTRE capture several former 00 operatives and use new brain mind control therapy to tap into their secrets.

Bond is informed by M - now demoted to the a lower civil servant department - about the captured 00s. M can't authorize Bond to go into the field to rescue the 00 agenst because M is no longer in charge. M has been told that the new M at MI6 doesn't want to waste manpower and money trying to find the 00 agents because it's not been confirmed SPECTRE is responsible. They believe the 00s are own their own and if they get captured or killed then so be it. All 00 agents have signed the official secrets act and are duty bound never to sell secrets to other world powers. There is some conflict within MI6 about the fate of the old 00s but it's decided the 00 division - with new 00 agents - is not going to return. It's outdated. New drone tech and robots can do much of what the old 00 division did and at a much cheaper cost.

M has been given info from a reliable source that SPECTRE is back and they want to use the 00 agents against MI6. SPECTRE want to brainwash as many 00s as possible. Bond realizes this is a terrible scenario and decides to help.

The end of the film has Bond defeating SPECTRE and saving some of the 00 agents. Bond works for a secret US-UK black ops group united in defeating SPECTRE. Felix provides key intel. MI6 acknowledge Bond's bravery and the 00 division is reinstated. Bond is back as 007. The former M takes over.

Bond 25 is called

SHAKEN NOT STIRRED

It would be marketed as "Bond retired." The trailer would have Bond say

"The world doesn't need me anymore. And I don't need it."

Cool idea!!
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I would read this forum.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 17,797
    I'd probably get rid of Purvis and Wade - they've had their day.

EDIT: I see that I did in fact say that above. It remains true.