Bond Performance - This week; Roger Moore as James Bond, 007 in A View To A Kill

Comments

• SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Yes, he was bit too old but still he played the part just wonderful and I personally like this movie better than MR or TMWTGG for example. Moore still delivered a good Bond movie and played it with wonderful wit and believeable charme like only he could do it.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    A lot is made of the age of Sir Rog in AVTAK but, even though he is older, he still plays Bond as he always did. I do have a soft spot for this movie.
    One rather cruel critic mentioned that he could hear a whistle through Rogers false teeth when he spoke! Nasty. He was too old for AVTAK, and it would have been better for him to finish on the high of OP, his finest hour imho. Of course, it also means we may have had Dalton debut with AVTAK. What a difference that would have made. Dalton vs Walken!! What i would give to have seen that!
  • ToTheRight wrote: »
    I'll always be a proud supporter of Sir Rog in VIEW, and as much as I love Tim, I cannot picture anyone else in this film but Roger Moore.

I'm sure Tim could have pulled it off. 'If you can't trust May Day who can you trust? That's the last you'll see of Scarpine and your prize blimp.'
    You're right. Roger always had this likability factor. With his other movies too! He may not be the greatest of actors, but he had great presence and charm in his roles!
    "Craigs zombielike approach to SP"? Ah come on that's a bit strong. Or are you using that term cause Halloween is approachin, Birdleson?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Or is it because I bought White Zombie?
    He's too plastic in View and the charm he had before seems more like schtick now than ever (see the PTS).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Only one Bond performance is better than Craig's in Spectre and that's Connery in Thunderball.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    royale65 wrote: »

I would love to see that remade with Craig in the Lugosi role.

Wow. That sounds absurd, but now that you mention it, it would probably be great.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 15,818

There's an idea! Providing the film wasn't a CGI action fest, and had the appropriate atmosphere I could see a remake of White Zombie being pulled off. Craig as Murder Legendre! I wonder how Craig would do as Dracula come to think of it? He has the widow's peak......
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Oddly enough he looked better (healthier) 10 years later in "The Quest"
    I've often said that a better, shorter, haircut alone would have helped Roger's appearance tremendously in his later films.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

Yes! Make it so.

• GBFGBF
    I really like AVTAK. it was my favourite ond film for a very long tim. However, even I must admit that Roger is too old for the role or that his age is adressed unevenly in the film. It would have been nice to see some retirement hint in that film...
    talos7 wrote: »
    I've often said that a better, shorter, haircut alone would have helped Roger's appearance tremendously in his later films.

Interestingly enough while promoting AVTAK on Good Morning America, his hair looked about the length he had it in LALD, and he looked great. Watching those interviews I'd say he had another film in him easily.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Interestingly enough while promoting AVTAK on Good Morning America, his hair looked about the length he had it in LALD, and he looked great. Watching those interviews I'd say he had another film in him easily.

Found it, Yes he does. This is a nice spot.

Great interviews there. In some ways he looks better there than in the film. Lee looks great there, too. I always wish he had done another Dracula around that time.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Great stuff! Love that story about the bats.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited October 2016 Posts: 7,314
    After watching this last night, it's apparent that something is off in Rog's performance, but it's hard to put my finger on exactly what. He still has the charm, but any sense of cool and danger seems to have left him.

They parade all these pretty young blondes in front of him, which only seems to further highlight his aging, and then there's the May Day scene. One definite positive can be found in his interactions with Zorin. The two of them play surprisingly well off each other.

Not so great is the lack of chemistry between him and Tanya Roberts. One of the things that made OP work so well was that Moore and Maud Adams were fantastic together. It's rather puzzling how they could cast Roberts and think it was going to work out.

Somewhere hidden in this film is a Skyfall-esque story of old vs. new. It's nice to see Moore and Maxwell together one last time, and of course his pairing with Macnee is great fun. You do feel Bond's anger when he discovers that Tibbett is dead.

The editing was atrocious at times. The doubles were never more obvious. You'd think that, since they decided to bring Moore back at his age, much attention would be given to making the action scenes more believable, but they are anything but at times. Compare this to how much better Glen directed Moore's action scenes in OP.

I know that's a lot of complaints but I still love Sir Rog, and he's always enjoyable to watch. A less than stellar performance from him is still better than many could manage at their best.

He's trimmer in VIEW, eyebrows are thicker, eyeliner is obvious and of course he's missing his mole. Had those little details not been tampered with, and had he remained a tad heavier, he probably would have looked about the same as in OP, or at least like he did in THE NAKED FACE.

This is a great point @ToTheRight. Looking at back to back pics from OP and AVTAK, Rog's slimmer look in VIEW didn't do him any favors.
    They were looking for Priscilla Presley for the role of Stacey, which may have worked a little better 9Or not!)! Roberts was a bad casting decision! John Glen tells the story of when he met her first on set, that she had very striking eyes, he jokingly said to her "Are they real?" Roberts looked down at her chest and replied "Of course they are, feel them!!"
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    They were looking for Priscilla Presley for the role of Stacey, which may have worked a little better 9Or not!)! Roberts was a bad casting decision! John Glen tells the story of when he met her first on set, that she had very striking eyes, he jokingly said to her "Are they real?" Roberts looked down at her chest and replied "Of course they are, feel them!!"

And convinced he was :))
  • Moore should never have been within 10000 miles of this film. Eon just got so comfortable with Moore they couldn't see the obvious. Too Damn old at 57. They couldn't even acknowledge his age in the film. Dalton vs Walken would have been quite brilliant, and Dalton and Roberts would have made a good pairing.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Yeah old Rog was well past it for this film, but watching him in this is like wearing comfortable slippers!

It's a Sunday afternoon Bond film that you can just sit back and enjoy without being taxed to much!

AVTAK isn't one of my favourites but it's not the worst either.
    Agreed. There are some great scenes in it! its well made, and I'd venture to say that Christopher Walkens Max Zorin is one of my favourite villains in the series!
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Agreed. There are some great scenes in it! its well made, and I'd venture to say that Christopher Walkens Max Zorin is one of my favourite villains in the series!

Compared to a lot of the other films I think AVTAK is quite poorly made. Certainly the editing in some of the action scenes is embarrassing (the fight in Stacey's house comes to mind).
    Moore should never have been within 10000 miles of this film. Eon just got so comfortable with Moore they couldn't see the obvious. Too Damn old at 57. They couldn't even acknowledge his age in the film. Dalton vs Walken would have been quite brilliant, and Dalton and Roberts would have made a good pairing.

And Dalton and Grace Jones........?
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    I actually like this film. It's not the best but it has some great moments. The performance of Roger is good, he might have been too old - but that's another discussion.
    Avtak is like watching your favourite uncle in a bond film
    L
    My least favorite Bond performance, and my second least favorite Bond movie. Sorry AVTAK fans.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    @FoxRox Why is it your least favorite Bond performance?
  • vzok wrote: »
    Moore should never have been within 10000 miles of this film. Eon just got so comfortable with Moore they couldn't see the obvious. Too Damn old at 57. They couldn't even acknowledge his age in the film. Dalton vs Walken would have been quite brilliant, and Dalton and Roberts would have made a good pairing.

And Dalton and Grace Jones........?

I think Tim would have been glad to stress the monogamy of his Bond in order to get out of that scene!

A bit unfortunate actually that part of the film in San Francisco with the Aids crisis looming. And Roger sets a record for number bedded!