Bond Performance - This week; Roger Moore as James Bond, 007 in A View To A Kill

1101112131416»

Comments

Jeffrey wrote: »
    @FoxRox Why is it your least favorite Bond performance?

It just is. Moore's age has a lot do with it; it's constantly distracting, and it shows he's not as energetic as before.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    Ah oké, I find it difficult really to base it on his age... I mean, yes his age is showing but I don't think his acting is off/bad or anything.
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Ah oké, I find it difficult really to base it on his age... I mean, yes his age is showing but I don't think his acting is off/bad or anything.

I don't find anything wrong with his performance in VIEW. I think it's often forgotten he's undercover throughout much of the film. He plays up the snobbish playboy James St John Smythe to perfection. Then back to business once his cover is blown and Tibbett is killed. Moore always gave 100% performance to his Bond.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited October 2016 Posts: 3,343
    I find AVTAK to be the weakest of Moore's performances. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's overall great, as Moore always delivers in my mind. This one just seems a bit more subdued, despite the film being zany over the top.

The age while noticeable, doesn't effect my view on his performance at all. His scenes with Macnee are gold, really great stuff. All of the interactions as St. John Smythe at Zorin's mansion and farms are great. He does a very good job selling his distaste for Zorin. The second half of the film seems more reserved though. I'm not sure if it's because much of the screen time is with Grace Jones and Tanya Roberts who sounded very difficult to work with. Or the screen material, which Rog has often said was overly violent and dark (mowing down innocent workers in the mine). He just doesn't seem as energized as with OP. Overall though, still a very enjoyable effort.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 1,817
    Moore's performance in AVTAK is rather weak. Marginally better than his nadir in TMWTGG. Factor in his age and eeechhh. He just comes across as so unimaginably sleazy. We will come to respect Dalton in TLD for giving a well-needed breath of fresh air. He can't do the action at all here, although his movements in the final fight with Zorin are passable.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Agreed. There are some great scenes in it! its well made, and I'd venture to say that Christopher Walkens Max Zorin is one of my favourite villains in the series!

Compared to a lot of the other films I think AVTAK is quite poorly made. Certainly the editing in some of the action scenes is embarrassing (the fight in Stacey's house comes to mind).

I agree. The editing is execrable in some places. Which is unusual considering that director Glen is an editor!!!
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited October 2016 Posts: 7,314
    Moore's performance in AVTAK is rather weak. Marginally better than his nadir in TMWTGG.

It's interesting how his TMWTGG performance is such an opinion divider. Recently, I've come around to seeing it as one of his best. It took me years before I could fully appreciate it.
    pachazo wrote: »
    Moore's performance in AVTAK is rather weak. Marginally better than his nadir in TMWTGG.

It's interesting how his TMWTGG performance is such an opinion divider. Recently, I've come around to seeing it as one of his best. It took me years before I got it though.

My issue with Moore's performance in GG is that it doesn't feel all that special, you get the impression any relatively decent actor would have done a similar performance.

In AVTAK it feels a bit like he's phoning it in in places, though there are some good moments.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 12,837
    pachazo wrote: »

It's interesting how his TMWTGG performance is such an opinion divider. Recently, I've come around to seeing it as one of his best. It took me years before I could fully appreciate it.

Golden Gun is definitely his weakest performance imo. Not sure why after brilliantly establishing the new Bond in LALD they had him do a sub par Connery impression.

I think his age and the stunt double use is distracting but Moore himself is great in AVTAK. Love his scenes with Tibbet and Zorin, particuarly when he gets found out and Tibbet is killed. Moore was always great when interacting with the villains (I think his confrontation with Orlov on the train is perhaps the most underrated scene of the whole series).
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited October 2016 Posts: 7,314
    Regarding GUN, it's a little different from the type of performance that he would later come to be associated with, which is probably what initially turned me off from it.

Being hunted by Scaramanga (or so he thinks) puts Bond in a bit of a pickle. I wouldn't say he's desperate, but he certainly feels a sense of urgency to find his would be killer before it's too late. So the character is played a little harsher and crueler than usual (for Moore's Bond), even going so far as roughing up a woman to get what he wants. And all without losing that 007 swagger, of course. Love it when he smokes the cigar!

I understand how both of you feel. I was in the same camp until I had this epiphany while watching it a few weeks back. I've completely bought into it now. Also, Rog looks fantastic in TMWTGG. Most importantly, he still very much looks the part, which is not so easy to say about AVTAK.
  • Well, Roger moves well in TMWTGG, but his performance is at ends with the jokey nature of many scenes in the film. A good example is the particularly conflicted ending, where Bond is retrieving the solex. His acting is dead-serious, which makes no sense considering the ridiculous scenario.
  • GBFGBF
    I guess Brosnan woulf have been the best choice for this film. He would have fit better to the bizarre scenes as well as the action scenes than Dalton.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Connery said he wanted to be in a Bond move like OHMSS if he could. Problem is that neither he, Moore, nor Brosnan really worked harder towards the role for each and every one of their movies. It was as though the role was solely a paycheck. Dalton, Craig invested their minds into the role. Lazenby invested all his money away but that's another story...

Moore did have the films he wanted. He didn't like the seriousness of Connery and felt he took the character too seriously so he got the more funny version of Bond he wanted so bad

Anyway here my Best Bond performances by each actor

Sean Connery-Thunderball its when he got the most perfect balance between the funny and serious Bond. A perfect midle grownd
    While i did like him very much in Goldfinger, i don't think Guy Hamilton was the right director for him. His man was Terrence Young and they got at their peak with Thunderball.

George Lazenby: i have to admit he had some great moments and gave Bond a very sensitive take on the character though im not sure if i like such a mellowed James Bond. Sure i love him charming and showing his more tender side once in a while but Lazenby was too much for me

Roger Moore
    His best performance was in The spy who loved me and Gilbert was for him what Terrence was for Sean Connery. They made a perfect match.

Timothy Dalton- License to kill, perfect to his acting style with no more jockes which wouldn't suit him.

Pierce Brosnan- The World is not enough it was just perfect

Daniel Craig- Skyfall