Bond Performance - This week; Roger Moore as James Bond, 007 in A View To A Kill

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Funny how basically everyone is agreeing that the only Connery Bond film Moore was even vaguely capable of being in is Sean's worst.

i think Moore could've done just as well as Sean in GF.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    Funny how basically everyone is agreeing that the only Connery Bond film Moore was even vaguely capable of being in is Sean's worst.

How on earth could he have even done those fistfights? And all the women were similar in age to Sean. Rog only hits on very young women in a creepy way.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

How on earth could he have even done those fistfights? And all the women were similar in age to Sean. Rog only hits on very young women in a creepy way.

i seem to remember Rog being able to handle convincing fist fights in both LALD and TMWTGG - and that was 10 years after GF when Rog was already in his 40s... if you recall in GF, Bond only had 1 real fisticuffs moment, and that was in the PTS - the rest of the movie is pretty tame until the end where he gets into a fight with Oddjob, which is nothing more than Bond getting the crap kicked out of him until he electrocutes and kills Oddjob.. this is not too dissimilar from the encounters Rog had with Jaws in TSWLM.
    Yeah, there's a few Moore 'fight' videos over on the negativity thread you should check out then.

Is that where Jaws drops the brick on his own foot? Just curious.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Just remember that Roger came in second (far ahead of third place) in our Battle of the Bonds elimination game. To say that no one likes him is ludicrous.

And, if I recall correctly, Sean's win was to merely end a stalemate (Moore technically wasn't even eliminated)...
    Well yeah, Sean Bond was fighting a superior opponent. There was real tension there.
    No swallowing diamonds or tie-striaghtening there, nope.
  • Well yeah, Sean Bond was fighting a superior opponent. There was real tension there.

Or the comedy oomphs lol
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    ........Rog only hits on very young women in a creepy way.

Only in AVTAK IMO
    .......i seem to remember Rog being able to handle convincing fist fights in both LALD and TMWTGG - and that was 10 years after GF when Rog was already in his 40s...

I saw LALD recently and I agree. Moore was quite sprightly in the fight sequences in this film IMO
    Is the the fight where he swallows the diamond?
    Well yeah, Sean Bond was fighting a superior opponent. There was real tension there.

those movies were also written very differently as well.

if you blame Moore for writing of his films, then you probably also blame Brosnan for the writing of his films too don't you?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Is the the fight where he swallows the diamond?

It was a golden bullet. Have you ever watched a James Bond movie? ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Or bullet ?

if you blame Moore for writing of his films, then you probably also blame Brosnan for the writing of his films too don't you?

He did approve them, though he could not know how poorly people like Michael apted would should the film.

Apted makes a submarine turning upside down a pretty mediocre event.

He did approve them, though he could not know how poorly people like Michael apted would should the film.

technically it never turned upside, it nose dived into the sea bed... just like Moore never swallowed diamonds...

ok so you really think that if Moore were presented the script for GF back in 1963, he would've read over it and said "nah, needs more jokes."??
  • HASEROT wrote: »

technically it never turned upside, it nose dived into the sea bed... just like Moore never swallowed diamonds...

ok so you really think that if Moore were presented the script for GF back in 1963, he would've read over it and said "nah, needs more jokes."??
    Definitely, would have asked for at least one silly outfit, maybe a cowboy suit or something and would certainly have requested a confused dog or double taking pigeon
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

There were a lot more problems with TWINE than an upside down submarine IMO. I'm pretty sure that would have been obvious from reading the script, and when the casting was done.
    Yes, nose-dived. Just like the diamond Moore swallowed in the fight in his 'fight'.

Yes, that's exactly what Moore would have said. He hated the serious Bond and wanted nothing to do with anything but jokes and arching his eyebrow. His bond epitomized the don't break a sweat Bond, and lost the jeopardy of the franchise completely.

Are there cool moments in his films? Yeah, like that amazing parachute gag at the beginning of MR (?) but it's always undercut by the pinch, the giggle, the raised eyebrow and of course the groan-inducing quip.

Definitely, would have asked for at least one silly outfit, maybe a cowboy suit or something and would certainly have requested a confused dog or double taking pigeon

i didn't ask you... you're just a dream, therefor your opinion doesn't count or matter.
    He's right, though.
    He's right, though.

who's right?
    Martin. It was always about making fun of Bond to Moore. He loved it.
    Troll13.jpeg
    Chuck Norris would resent that comment!
    edited January 2015 Posts: 4,399
    Martin. It was always about making fun of Bond to Moore. He loved it.

i already stated his opinion doesn't matter.... i double checked with his sources and even they agreed with me..

Moore played the role as it was written - it was not about turning the character into a farce... it was written in lighter tones to suit Moore's sensibilities, and the films themselves reflected a much more easy going time in the world.. but he even went on record as to more or less say he didn't want to play the role just like Sean nor did he try to conform to his mold.. he approached the role as himself and played the role as himself... trying to sabotage the character or "make fun of it" is just your warped opinion because you simply don't like the guy....

but i am done arguing with you on this subject - because it's like talking to a wall..

waddle off back under the bridge with MartinAston
    IFM.
    Right, cuz yelling sit at a tiger and doing the tarzan yell is all about fleming, right?
    Right, cuz yelling sit at a tiger and doing the tarzan yell is all about fleming, right?

right, the Tarzan yell was all Roger's idea.... STFU
  • Right, cuz yelling sit at a tiger and doing the tarzan yell is all about fleming, right?
    Ha ha, I'm pretty sure that isn't what Ian had in mind when he created Bond!

right, the Tarzan yell was all Roger's idea.... STFU

It sure wasn't Fleming's idea!!!!

He approved the scripts, man.

Was the Gondola Rog's idea? All that diabolical self-parody stuff just embarrassed the franchise.
    If you can't debate, insult!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I believe Moore said he read in one of the books that Bond killed people but didn't particularly enjoy it and that is what he took as his way to portray Bond.

I'm not his biggest fan but he bought something fresh to the role, his own take. No allot of what appeared in his films was nothing to do with Fleming.

Some of his fans and some Bond fans clutching at straws try to say he brings more Fleming into his portrayal than he's given credit for but I don't see it personally.

He was playboy Bond and he did it very well but please don't try and say he's bought more subtle nuances to the character because that is laughable, I grew up with his Bond and I appreciate for what it is, Moore is no great actor but he's good at what he does.