Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2016 Posts: 17,727
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    So I read this a while back, If the Fleming Foundtain knew what's good they would def re-hire Horowitz

I think you mean Ian Fleming Publications, formerly Glidrose, here. They are the copyright holders of the Ian Fleming estate. The Ian Fleming Foundation is a separate organisation.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    @Bounine Horowitz was announced around November/December 2014.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I for one would be very pleased to see Horowitz return for another book.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 17,241
    Chaps, the new US paperback for Trigger Mortis has been revealed, set to come out on 6th of September later this year, available to pre-order here.

9SJwifj.jpg

Did a quick google search after seeing this one, hoping to find an image of the complete dust jacket, without luck. What I did find, was a blog post about the creation of the cover.

Trigger%2BMortis%2BUS%2Bpaperback%2Bsketches%2B1.jpg

Trigger%2BMortis%2BUS%2Bpaperback%2Bsketches%2B2.jpg

Do like number two. Could have been a striking good and dramatic cover.

The complete blog post:
    http://jamesbondthesecretagent.blogspot.no/2016/06/this-is-how-trigger-mortis-cover-came.html
    Cool stuff all of it. Nice find, @Torgeirtrap.
    an interesting bit from the blog post, regarding showing Bonds face or not:
    «As you can see above Patrick had no problem with showing James Bond's face but suddenly it was decided not to show the face. This got me thinking if it might be so that Ian Fleming Publications or Eon Productions do not want another James Bond face to be present. When was actually the last time James Bond's face was present on a book cover.»
    Can it be that IFP or EON don't want Bonds face to be shown on the covers, maybe trying to differentiating them from the films? Wouldn't mind seeing a dust jacket with an illustrated Bond, like the Sam Peffer covers. At the same time, the fun of reading books is creating your own image of the characters as you read.
    I have decided when the soft cover book comes out I will buy it imeaditly. I will give it a shot and will write a review.

I do want to say I am rereading Carte Blanche and while it is by no means perfect it's hardly a bad bond novel. It's far more entertaining then the full Solo and far more in character then the bland devil may care. I would recommend everyone reread it once as I think it could of been the start of something great.

My hope is Lee Child get the freedom to do a modern bond thriller once. While I will admit I never read any of his books people whose opinion I trust have said since 2011 Child is the only author who can bring bond safely into the 21sr century and after watching jack reacher (which I know is a film) I feel why not give Child a shot.
    an interesting bit from the blog post, regarding showing Bonds face or not:
    «As you can see above Patrick had no problem with showing James Bond's face but suddenly it was decided not to show the face. This got me thinking if it might be so that Ian Fleming Publications or Eon Productions do not want another James Bond face to be present. When was actually the last time James Bond's face was present on a book cover.»
    Can it be that IFP or EON don't want Bonds face to be shown on the covers, maybe trying to differentiating them from the films? Wouldn't mind seeing a dust jacket with an illustrated Bond, like the Sam Peffer covers. At the same time, the fun of reading books is creating your own image of the characters as you read.
    I clearly remember how much I was fixed on Connery´s image when I read my first Bond novel, because it had a picture of Connery on the cover. And it didn´t fit at all to the image I got when I read the book, it made a mess of my head. It´s much better if the books don´t show Bond´s face. The face should come alive from the words.

For me (and isn't there a thread that discusses this topic) it depends on the book for who I picture

For example
    Seafire by Gardner I always pictured Roger Moore
    The Raymond benson novels I always pictured Dalton
    Carte Blanche Daniel Craig

Etc
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 17,241
    @Risico007 Not surprised if there is a thread already on this. It is probably the case with many books, one might picture one of the Bonds depending on when the books were released and if the setting is current or set in the original timeline.

Had a look through that same blog which revealed the sketches for the U.S paperback. Here's the cover design from Finland:
    12185128_1172016429495219_2927045462541353893_o.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Love the cover art!
    Not sure if I like that one myself. I like the idea with the original cover, that you can make it into a rocket, but it'd doesn't look as "Bondian" as it could have.
    Walecs wrote: »
    @Bounine Horowitz was announced around November/December 2014.

Ah, thanks. So, presuming they retain the two year gap, then we should get an announcement regarding the next author in November or December this year.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Risico007 Not surprised if there is a thread already on this. It is probably the case with many books, one might picture one of the Bonds depending on when the books were released and if the setting is current or set in the original timeline.

Had a look through that same blog which revealed the sketches for the U.S paperback. Here's the cover design from Finland:
    12185128_1172016429495219_2927045462541353893_o.jpg

Any idea who that model is?
    @CommanderRoss The blog post doesn't share more than that the book is published through Karisto, a Finnish publisher. When I first saw the cover, I found the model (and I don't know why) to look vaguely similar to Honeysuckle Weeks from Foyle's War, produced by Horowitz. Strange...
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited August 2016 Posts: 7,946
    Hmm, pity. She has a fascinating face I find. But a google search ends up with a lot of letters in random order thrown about. Allthough that might be called 'Finnish' to those who can make sense out of it ;-)
    Quite possible! Maybe there's some Finnish users that might know more!
  • Although I find this less objectionable than the UK efforts I can't help but think that the advent of computer graphics has been Ondine's curse when it comes to truly great cover design.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 17,241
    Found this little interview with illustrator Patrick Léger about the U.S edition cover:
    http://www.ianfleming.com/agent-field-patrick-leger/
    Chaps, Anthony Horowitz returns for another Bond novel! :D

Oodelayley! That is good news!
    so will it be another period piece based on an unused fleming idea? (the whole Niagara falls climax thing is begging to be used) or dare I dream a modern bond thriller by Horowitz..

I will buy trigger mortis and read it before January 1st I promise.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 15,423
    @Risico007, it will be a period piece, set for a 2018 release.

Full coverage here:
    http://www.thebookseller.com/news/horowitz-write-new-bond-novel-jonathan-cape-404116
    oh fro crying out loud... sigh So all the Fleming tv scripts I guess will be made into novels by Horrowitz....

Joy
    We should be glad he's doing another Bond novel. Period piece or not, as long as the quality is good, I'm on board.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    We should be glad he's doing another Bond novel. Period piece or not, as long as the quality is good, I'm on board.

Ditto.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Best piece of news of the whole year.
  • Brilliant news!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Great news for the literary James Bond continuation there. I wanted Mr Horowitz to return for another Bond novel so I am equally as delighted that he is. Good to hear that Fleming material is again being included too. 2018 will also mark the 50th anniversary of the Bond continuation project in print that started with the publication of Kingsley Amis' Colonel Sun back in March 1968.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Great news for the literary James Bond continuation there. I wanted Mr Horowitz to return for another Bond novel so I am equally as delighted that he is. Good to hear that Fleming material is again being included too. 2018 will also mark the 50th anniversary of the Bond continuation project in print that started with the publication of Kingsley Amis' Colonel Sun back in March 1968.
    Always the voice of the great messenger regarding the literary Bond and particularly the continuation novels. :D