Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Ha ha.
    FINALLY finished my Waterstone's edition last night. Appropriate, as yesterday marked 108 years since Fleming was born. I thought it was a great read and blended in very well with the stories from the era, though I don't feel Jeopardy Lane lived up to the hyperbole on the dust jacket. I'd love to see Horowitz get another shot at a book, but next time in the modern age, either continuing from Deaver or just doing Commander James Bond in the 21st century like the movies.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2016 Posts: 17,786
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I just got the Orion paperback of Trigger Mortis in Tesco yesterday. It's a lovely cover design.

Every little helps as they say .

:))

Yes, and that's my fourth version of the novel I've bought. I think I've done my bit for Horowitz and IFP! ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Tesco should be used to books full of fiction, like the accounts the put in
    last year. :D
    Tesco should be used to books full of fiction, like the accounts the put in
    last year. :D

Stand-ip comedian Stewart Lee on supermarkets selling books in 2009: "Why not get a multi-pack of books. Stick the other two in the freezer." :))
    I just got the Orion paperback of Trigger Mortis in Tesco yesterday. It's a lovely cover design.

Yes, and that's my fourth version of the novel I've bought. I think I've done my bit for Horowitz and IFP! ;)
    After the small paperback came out ;-), I finally read Trigger Mortis.
    I was suprised by how much it reads like a Fleming novel. I would never demand of any other writer to write like Fleming, all the more so I find Horowitz´ achievement impressive. That said, the novel felt as if Horowitz writing as Horowitz and not as someone else flows better.
    As with Fleming´s novels, I enjoyed the action more than the more contemplative parts. In fact, I found the discrepancy even bigger than in Fleming´s novels. The action was written brilliantly. The more quiet bits dragged several times, mainly because they seemed to be more busy having Bond think than having a good flow. The references to other Bond novels felt at the same time annoying and very clever in the way they were used in the context. In any case, they were too many. Horowitz writes so well he doesn´t need those references to make me recognize I´m reading a Bond novel. It seems to be a fashion at the moment to shove such references down the customer´s throat, given that the films also don´t refrain from doing it. I would be happier without.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I just ordered the small paperback from the UK- my giant American paperback with the large print feels like holding & reading a children's book. :-O
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I just ordered the small paperback from the UK- my giant American paperback with the large print feels like holding & reading a children's book. :-O
    You sure it wasn't The Adventures of James Bond Junior 003½? ;)

OH! That's why Bond was wearing a diaper on page 1! :-??

OH! That's why Bond was wearing a diaper on page 1! :-??
    Good lad! Good lad! =))
    boldfinger wrote: »

After the small paperback came out ;-), I finally read Trigger Mortis.
    I was suprised by how much it reads like a Fleming novel. I would never demand of any other writer to write like Fleming, all the more so I find Horowitz´ achievement impressive. That said, the novel felt as if Horowitz writing as Horowitz and not as someone else flows better.
    As with Fleming´s novels, I enjoyed the action more than the more contemplative parts. In fact, I found the discrepancy even bigger than in Fleming´s novels. The action was written brilliantly. The more quiet bits dragged several times, mainly because they seemed to be more busy having Bond think than having a good flow. The references to other Bond novels felt at the same time annoying and very clever in the way they were used in the context. In any case, they were too many. Horowitz writes so well he doesn´t need those references to make me recognize I´m reading a Bond novel. It seems to be a fashion at the moment to shove such references down the customer´s throat, given that the films also don´t refrain from doing it. I would be happier without.

Yes it was a very excellent first effort.
    I would like to ideally see Horowitz drop the period-Bond approach. I don't like him shoehorning new sensational stories amidst the Fleming continuity.
    I'd prefer the 1953-1964 period be left to Fleming. Fleming chronicled that period.
    That's his space IMO.
    Even post-Fleming leaves only so much room, before one is into the 70s' and then what's the point? Amis, Faulks and Boyd have already worked the 67-69 period.
    It's done I think and Pearson brought Bond up to 1973.
    I would like to see Horowitz pick-up where Deaver left off with Carte Blanche. He could re-work Deaver's Bond environment as he saw fit.
    Deaver at least gave Bond a fresh 2011 literary context.
    The key here I think is that Horowitz writes Bond, the character, much better than Deaver did.
    Deaver's Bond is the most foreign to Fleming I think in all of Bond lit.
    Deaver had to go.
    Horowitz has a much better measure of the man, the agent etc.

Almost got it the other day, but...

Well, the Paris WH Smith is under renovation right now, and guess which section was closed to the pubic ? Right, the Crime TPB section. And given that the trains to Paris have stopped service right after tuesday because of the flood (and a strike), I won't be able to get it before next week, at best.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 13,384
    "The scent of smoke and sweat of a nursery are nauseating at three in the afternoon "
    from JB Jr,

:D
    "The scent of smoke and sweat of a nursery are nauseating at three in the afternoon "
    from JB Jr,

Line One, Page One! :))
    I really want to read this novel, but have to wait to September for the proper paperback. Not a fan of the hardcovers with font-size for children. With Solo, I luckily found a paperback at Shakespeare's in Paris two years ago - there was just one copy and I was overjoyed to have found it at such an iconic shop.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    "The scent of diapers and sweat of a nursery are nauseating at three in the afternoon "
    from JB Jr,

corrected :-D
    Chaps, the new US paperback for Trigger Mortis has been revealed, set to come out on 6th of September later this year, available to pre-order here.

9SJwifj.jpg
    Great cover, I love it. :)
    Indeed. It's so pulpy! So 1950s American! :D
    I'm a little disappointed there's been hardly any mention of Trigger Mortis in the Mi6 magazine. Young Bond gets lots of coverage.
    Give it some time.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Oh, nice! I'll pick that up with the intent to read it in the distant future (after I read all of Fleming) just to support that phenomenal cover design!
    timmer wrote: »
    I would like to see Horowitz pick-up where Deaver left off with Carte Blanche. He could re-work Deaver's Bond environment as he saw fit.
    The key here I think is that Horowitz writes Bond, the character, much better than Deaver did.
    Deaver had to go.

First off, I love the US paperback cover. It has a great pulp feel and is recognisably Bond.

With regards to the timeline for future books - I think it's essential that the continuation novels remain consistent with the originals.
    I say this because literary Bond is essentially a product of post war 1950s Britain and all that it entailed. Those values simply don't translate to modern times. Furthermore, that epoch allows the authors much more scope in terms of plot as Horowitz demonstrated with what is, hopefully his debut.
    Of course, this debate will rage but I would go as fare as to say I just wouldn't buy a Bond novel set in modern times. "Carte Blanche' has put me off for life !

Deaver had to go.

First off, I love the US paperback cover. It has a great pulp feel and is recognisably Bond.

With regards to the timeline for future books - I think it's essential that the continuation novels remain consistent with the originals.
    I say this because literary Bond is essentially a product of post war 1950s Britain and all that it entailed. Those values simply don't translate to modern times. Furthermore, that epoch allows the authors much more scope in terms of plot as Horowitz demonstrated with what is, hopefully his debut.
    Of course, this debate will rage but I would go as fare as to say I just wouldn't buy a Bond novel set in modern times. "Carte Blanche' has put me off for life !
    I can get your point and completely understand it. I almost share the same views when it comes to the Bond timelines.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Deaver had to go.

I can get your point and completely understand it. I almost share the same views when it comes to the Bond timelines.

Thing is, Fleming himself noted Bond should always be a man of his times, and in his novels, as with Colonel Sun which I finished 5 minutes ago, was. Carte Banche wasn't good, but that was, to my mind, because of the writing. While I was reading CB I could see everything coming. Reading Fleming or Amis, I was wondering how it would end, not having a clue at all..
    All in all I don't think CB should be held as an example of 'modern' Bond.
    @CommanderRoss, what were your thoughts on Benson's novels?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 17,687
    The cover is okay, but both @Murdock and I could do better....
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The cover is okay, but both @Murdock and I could do better....

I quite like the cover. I love the Pulpy look. :)
    EH, the DB5 is unnecessary...
    EH, the DB5 is unnecessary...

Shouldn't it be a DBIII?!

And I love that US cover too. :)