Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Agreed. What's more troubling and incredibly hard to believe is the fact that one of the names circulating the story is Charlie Sheen.
    I'm trying to do some research and figure out who it might be. Robert Downey Jr. and Charlie Sheen seem to be possibilities.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Crazy stuff. I've heard this from Haim and Feldman before, and their stories were supported by other actors at their age experiencing the same things at the time, or who at least knew what was going on.

The only A-list names I could find that they worked with when they were on that young age in the 80s are Downey, Kiefer Sutherland and Charlie Sheen. The person mentioned is apparently a family man, which doesn't fit Sheen's profile, and I don't think people would call Downey that either. I don't think Kiefer is high profile enough to be considered a Hollywood mogul either. None of them fit for me, but maybe that's because I like all three of them and don't want to imagine it, especially Downey.

The reports and quotes from Haim seem to point to this person being older, much older at the time in relation to him and Feldman. He mentions "men" in the industry doing this to him, and not so much someone closer in age. Downey was only 19 around the time Haim said he was raped, and the movie they starred in together was only one of his first roles where he was even credited. He wouldn't have had a big enough name or pull in the industry at that nascent point in his career to do what he did with impunity; it's actually much more likely that Downey would've been in danger of the same predators Haim faced at such a young age trying to make his name in Hollywood. It has to be someone who was already a big name at the time and could have avoided repercussions from that act for decades afterwards, meaning they had popularity and wealth and pull at that time.

This is all troubling, because things like this get you wondering about it, and thinking that some of your favorite actors could be behind this heinous stuff without you ever expecting, and it just soils their work forever afterwards. It's Cosby all over again, and feels like the biggest dupe and slap in the face.
    Now I don't hardly know her..... but I think I could love her..... Crimson and Clover...
  • I watch a channel on YouTube called Double Toasted they were discussing Feldman and a recent TV performance of him singing and dancing with his Angels, it was Bizarre to say the least he does not appear well at all.
    "I want to swim your silk black skin to the floor...."
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    edited September 2016 Posts: 1,053
    If they think they know who this person is then why don't they pass their suspicions onto the police? Or has this already been done?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @stag, I think many of these victims at the time keep quiet through the trauma of the act or threats on part of the offender (as they can blacklist their career or worse), and they only come out to say these things happened to them when they're grown up and more mature and aware of just how much these rapes are a part of the industry. When they're at that young age I don't think they can fathom the true scope of it.

As for passing things on to the police or other law enforcement, many of these cases have already passed the statute of limitations. In California you only have 10 years or so to report a rape or, in other cases, you have to do it before your 26th year, and many cases slip through the cracks because the victims can't come forward for a myriad of reasons.
    @BradyM0Bondfanatic7 thanks for that however (although I didn't make myself clear) I was speaking about the media as opposed to the victims. They have gone far enough to give rise to speculation as to who the offender is so why not hand over their information to the police & allow them to investigate the matter on an official footing? They may have already done so of course but seeing as there has been no news of any such arrests we can presume they are sitting on the name & the evidence which supports their allegations..
    stag wrote: »
    @BradyM0Bondfanatic7 thanks for that however (although I didn't make myself clear) I was speaking about the media as opposed to the victims. They have gone far enough to give rise to speculation as to who the offender is so why not hand over their information to the police & allow them to investigate the matter on an official footing? They may have already done so of course but seeing as there has been no news of any such arrests we can presume they are sitting on the name & the evidence which supports their allegations..

Well, if I may think the worst of humanity in this instance (the media often make it easy), turning people in or giving info doesn't really help their story. It's much more viable for the media to keep quiet and let the story simmer so they can sell as much press on it as they can to a starving public. If it all gets wrapped up swiftly, then that part of the story is out of the news and on its way to being forgotten over time. The longer the story simmers, the more hotcakes they can bake on those flames.

In this particular instance, however, I don't think that's the case. The only people who seem to have news on who these parties are are confidantes of some of the victims, who may have only informed their media representative that they have a name, but haven't shared it, meaning nobody can move on it until the person comes forward to say that name.

But again, getting police involved at this stage, when many of these rapes are now unable to be tried in criminal court anyway, wouldn't do much. The best the victims or their confidantes can hope for at this stage is that the news, when it comes, burns enough of the offenders' bridges in the industry that they are blacklisted and their accolades are wiped and past accomplishments robbed from them. It's the only real justice, however hollow, that can be hoped for, if it does come.

Imagine the response to Cosby's crimes (the majority of which are also outside the statute of limitations). He's gradually lost a lot of honors given to him by officials or universities, and many of his ties have been eroded creatively. Again, not grand justice or a satisfying magnitude of it like he deserves, but it's something.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Babs and Tim:

timothy-dalton-and-barbara-broccoli-attend-the-national-youth-60th-picture-id607576464
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    ^ Is he coming back? :D
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    He's definitely got another one in him.
    jake24 wrote: »

Agreed.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

First time I've heard of it, but if it had any sort of traction, I'm glad it didn't happen.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

You look at a picture of a balding, old man who thinks it looks cool to wear his misshapen shirt out of his trousers, and you see...James Bond? Whaaa...? ;)
    NicNac wrote: »

You look at a picture of a balding, old man who thinks it looks cool to wear his misshapen shirt out of his trousers, and you see...James Bond? Whaaa...? ;)
    Balding never stopped Sean from playing Bond. Besides, you'd be surprised what wonders CGI and a little makeup can do. ;)
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Listening to Wikipedia being edited is incredibly relaxing, and weird;
    http://listen.hatnote.com/
    Wow, that's fascinating. I didn't know this existed! Instant bookmark for me, thanks @BMW_with_missiles!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Wow, that's fascinating. I didn't know this existed! Instant bookmark for me, thanks @BMW_with_missiles!

You're welcome!
    I sign into MI6 most mornings to have a read of the discussions & unfortunately on most mornings I find a spammer (or multiples thereof) attempting to advertise some junk. I always flag such posts but was wondering if there is anything which can be done at a higher level to block these nuisances from registering in the first place?
    I sign into MI6 most mornings to have a read of the discussions & unfortunately on most mornings I find a spammer (or multiples thereof) attempting to advertise some junk. I always flag such posts but was wondering if there is anything which can be done at a higher level to block these nuisances from registering in the first place?

Thankfully they seem to get banned pretty quickly by the mods. I don't know if there's anything more that can be done. If there is, it should be attempted. Some kind of catchpa to stop spambots might be a good idea, although I think this is already in place - it's been a good few years since I registered.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Believe you me we bang on about it all the time behind the scenes. Admin guys are pretty switched on, but nothing seems to be getting done. It's a real pain in the proverbial, and hopefully one day we can look back and laugh about it! :-?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Did you know that @Benny is stinking rich?

They call him Moneybenny.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    As I was putting up my hurricane shutters this morning. It was grey and dreary. The entire time it felt just like the end of Skyfall when he boarded the windows. I stood outside, the calm before the storm.
    I hope everything's ok, @Last_Rat_Standing. It's pretty bad in Florida as I hear.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Yeah I'm snack right in the middle of where it's supposed to hit. Starting here in about 3-4 hours
    Boy, a tragedy indeed. I truly hope you and the residents of Florida come out unscathed from all this.
    It's just been awhile since we've gotten a major one. Going on 10+ years or so