Charteris' The Saint

edited August 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 68
As everybody on here knows The Saint is closely linked to Bond because of Roger Moore. As much as I like the 60's show, I've wanted to read Leslie Charteris' original stories. I was going to start collecting them in order begining with Meet-The Tiger all the way through to Charteris' last official Saint Story: The Saint in the Sun. What I want to know is has anyone read any of Charteris' stories and if so what are they like? I'd like to read all of them (even the weak stories) like Fleming's novels.

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Good luck with that @Hank_Scorpio. Checking out Amazon it's clear that the Saint is out of print, and although a few stories are available on a couple of compilations it seems like you will be trawling the second hand book shops for these books.

Reading up a little, some later stories were ghost written under Charteris's name. Looks like an interesting undertaking to read everything in order. If you manage to get going please post a few reviews and thoughts on here. ;-)
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Slightly of topic in terms of medium but have you heard James Purefoy has been linked to a new Saint tv series, sorry if this is old news. Seen a couple of these books in charity shops in the last few weeks. Best of luck Hank. :-)
    It seems only recently (2008?) Hodder did a "Best Of The Saint" compilation in two hefty volumes, with a foreword by Ken Follett (volume 1) and by Roger Moore (volume 2). Ian Dickerson, the authority on all things Saint, has been involved in picking out the stories for these compilations, so they will give you some of the best of the Saint stories. The second volume seems to be still available at a very fair price at amazon.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited August 2011 Posts: 1,699
    I have a couple (if not more) original Saint novels by Leslie Charteris - The Saint Meets His Match (or She Was A Lady) and The Saint Bids Diamonds (or Thieves' Picnic).

Need to give both of 'em a read... :)
    The Saint arrived as early as 1928 in his first adventure Meet - The Tiger. On the official site you'll find the sequence you might want to read them in. Keep also in mind that some titles changed over the years. Furthermore your best source for Saint novels might simply be Ebay, it is were I got a few novels (mostly first editions). I have the series in several languages simply because at the end of the day I am more of a Saint fan than a 007 fan. While it is often stated that 007 has it influence on the Saint it is more likely to be the other way around considering the fact that he was around for 22 years before the first 007 novel was written. ANd the 007 movies show a more Saintly based 007 than a Fleming character.
    However enjoy your quest for the new tales. I am kind of envious discovering al these new Saintly tales.
    The Saint is, up to a point, an uber-EON-Bond, always going with Oscar Wilde's tastes, the best hotels, the best women, the best food, the best (fictional) car even. Bond (whose tailor is never mentioned, and who dresses somewhat eccentric with his short sleeves) in comparison comes across almost down-to-earth when he's living of sandwiches at home, chooses a hotel by its romantic name (and lands in a doss house with lots of company in his bed) or as a rule prefers station hotels for their reasonably priced service and standard (before they became synonymous with cheap prostitution, drug peddling and gang crime). This side of Bond never is shown on the screen, instead it was replaced by The Saint's world of simple tastes and adventures in glamorous surroundings and beautiful company. Bond, especially but not exclusively the film version, has at least a pint of Saint blood in him.
    It seems only recently (2008?) Hodder did a "Best Of The Saint" compilation in two hefty volumes, with a foreword by Ken Follett (volume 1) and by Roger Moore (volume 2). Ian Dickerson, the authority on all things Saint, has been involved in picking out the stories for these compilations, so they will give you some of the best of the Saint stories. The second volume seems to be still available at a very fair price at amazon.
    They are tough to find these days, I bought both in pre-orders and the site never got to sell any outside of it because they were out of print or unobtainable.

They have some brilliant tales in them. They are more or less the best of, however my personal taste are the pre-war tales of the Saint when he fights Rudolph or other crazy criminals in his own special way.

They are tough to find these days, I bought both in pre-orders and the site never got to sell any outside of it because they were out of print or unobtainable.

They have some brilliant tales in them. They are more or less the best of, however my personal taste are the pre-war tales of the Saint when he fights Rudolph or other crazy criminals in his own special way.

I've only just discovered The Saint myself and have not as yet read the pre-war stuff; Enter The Saint is waiting on my shelf and I try to get my hands on Meet The Tiger now. Arguably, reading them in order is recommended to get the meaning of some hints and allusions, so I want to have the first two or three before I start with these early stories.
    Charteris created a great Character. Simon Templar rules but I still unhappy no news about the new Series filmed yet. It support to start Last month.
  • I'm glad people are rediscovering the original books. Those anthologies I did for Hodder sold out the entire print run within six months. Hodders are now waiting to see what happens with the TV show before publishing any more.

I am working on a plan that will make 49 of the 50 original English books available for download in the medium term. The odd one being Meet the Tiger which Leslie eventually refused to let be reprinted and the Estate are continuing to honor his wishes.

If anyone should be so inclined there's more on my favorite Saint books here: http://www.spywise.net/iandickerson.html

Ian
    Here's something of interest to fans of the Saint: the french career of Simon Templar

http://www.lofficier.com/saint.html
    I'm glad people are rediscovering the original books. Those anthologies I did for Hodder sold out the entire print run within six months. Hodders are now waiting to see what happens with the TV show before publishing any more.

I am working on a plan that will make 49 of the 50 original English books available for download in the medium term. The odd one being Meet the Tiger which Leslie eventually refused to let be reprinted and the Estate are continuing to honor his wishes.

If anyone should be so inclined there's more on my favorite Saint books here: http://www.spywise.net/iandickerson.html

Ian
    Here's something of interest to fans of the Saint: the french career of Simon Templar

http://www.lofficier.com/saint.html

Most interesting, many thanks for sharing!

• Hodders have just published a second edition of The Best of The Saint vol. 1. This one's got a glossy cover to make it stand out from the first edition
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    I recently read "The Saint Around The World" which is a collection of Saint short stories. This collection is quite a late entrant in the series and The Saint is already a well known character in the stories, indeed, somewhat of a celebrity.

Honestly, they are extremely well written and have a great sense of humour and sophistication, so not unlike Fleming.

Some of the stories err on the ridiculous, but no more so than having a villain with metal pincers for hands who keeps a giant squid.

One thing that did strike me was how well cast Moore was in the role, or at the very least, how well Moore portrayed the character. It was difficult not to see Roger when reading the short stories.

I would very much like to read more Saint adventures having read this one.
  • Just in case anyone's interested my book 'The Saint on TV' is--finally!--now available. It can be ordered directly from the Hirst Publishing web site and places such as Amazon as well. Whilst it doesn't detail the latest plans for the return of the Saint it does take the story to earlier this year...
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2011 Posts: 4,416
    In July i buy the first 2 seasons on 3x4 dvd's who be the only complete seasons who be avaible in The Netherlands. First i don't whant buy them, but because it be the 2 first seasons, it be the last three there have and iam thinking € 16,99 for each of them be a nice price if you know the store who i thaught before be the only one ask 3x € 27,99 + send money (A litle € 86,00). But or it realy be a nice price for everbody, because € 25,50 a season is stil a lot of money and imagine if have cost € 43,00 a season. Asking money or it be 80's series is big no go, also not every episodesbe rank in correct order. Not realy a problem with the first season who have all 12 episodes in the first volume. (Stil i don't understand why some episodes of disc 4 of volume 1 & 2 not be in order like disc 4 of volume 3.). But for example for episode 2.22 i must at the first disc of volume 2 (disc 5) in the player whyle episode 2.19 til 2.21 be on disc 4 of volume 3 (disc 12).

Disc 1: 1.1 / 1.2 / 1.3
    Disc 2: 1.4 / 1.5 / 1.7
    Disc 3: 1.6 / 1.8 / 1.9
    Disc 4: 1.12 / 1.10 / 2.18 / 1.11

Disc 1: 2.22 / 2.25 / 2.26
    Disc 2: 2.27 / 2.15 / 2.9
    Disc 3: 2.1 / 2.6 / 2.14
    Disc 4: 2.3 / 2.7 / 2.5 / 2.2

Disc 1: 2.24 / 2.4 / 2.8
    Disc 2: 2.10 / 2.11 / 2.12
    Disc 3: 2.16 / 2.13 / 2.17
    Disc 4: 2.19 / 2.20 / 2.21 / 2.23

A shame Lime-Lights Pictures (who release them) don't whant release season 3 & 4 because there not cell enough of those. Stupid comment, because there be responsible for making the mistake there release those as kind of limited/hidden release. I whas suprised to find it where i buy it.

At the moment i have seen the first 2 episodes. The video look good, whyle i sometimes wish there be in color. The audio disapointed a litle bit. As Saint Mark and me discus on the old forums, the releases also fail in missing extra's.

The first episode of The Talented Husband having a story who remember me a litle bit to Columbo.

The setting look much difrent then the couple of color episodes (Season 5 & Season 6) i saw years a go in a very short periode of repeat when there also repeat The Persuaders.
  • I've been watching the B&W episodes and am now into season 3. Its amazing all the Bond and Future Bond alums we see throughout. I said this on another message board about the Saint, but unlike other 60s TV, the Saint does not seem campy, but instead is a rather well thought out, written, produced and acted show. I'm looking forward to continuing the series!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I thought that I would revive this dormant thread again.

I recently bought a whole cache (about 40 titles) of Leslie Charteris' 'The Saint' vintage paperbacks from my local Tesco charity book stand. Someone must have donated an old collection. It reignited my interest in 'The Saint' and nearly completed my collection - I had a few books before this bought at different times in bookshops and charity shops. I'll try to post a picture of all the novels at some point...
    Interesting thread because I love the old 'Saint' movies with George Sanders and others. Sanders was a great actor who also appeared in a number of 'The Falcon' movies. I've read most of the Saint novels and they are a fun read. I wonder if there was ever a comic strip?

Just as an aside, HBO is developing a reboot of the famous lawyer Perry Mason, with Robert Downey Jr. as the lead. The creator of 'True Detective' as leading the creative team.
    There were comic strips, radio plays, books, movies, tv series with the Saint.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I read a whole bunch of the old Saint books years ago, and really enjoyed them. As a kid I was into the comics, and saw one of the tv movies with Roger Moore. It was very similar to Bond, you could almost just change the name of the character. Also watched a few episodes of the regular tv series. Didn t care for the new show with Ian Ogilvy. I remember him and Oliver Tobias were the "front runners" to take over after Moore as Bond in the early 80s.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Was Leslie Charteris a relative to Ann Charteris Fleming?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 17,728
    ggl007 wrote: »

No, he was not. Charteris was not his birth name. He changed it to that by deed poll. His birth name was Charles Bowyer Yin. Ann's brother Hugo Charteris was an author though.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

No, he was not. Charteris was not his birth name. He changed it to that by deed poll. His birth name was Charles Bowyer Yin. Ann's brother Hugo Charteris was an author though.
    Thanks, @Dragonpol. Any idea why he chose that name?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 17,728

I believe that it was because it sounded his real first name Charles. I've also heard he wanted an English-sounding name and came across it in the phonebook. As I said above it was his actual legal name after the deed poll change, and not just a pen-name/pseudonym as some suppose.
    Always happy to learn something. Thanks a lot, @Dragonpol =D> ^:)^
    Always happy to learn something. Thanks a lot, @Dragonpol =D> ^:)^

My pleasure. I've been reading up on Leslie Charteris of late. :)
  • Dragonpol wrote: »

Actually his birth name was Leslie Charles Bowyer-Yin.
  • Dragonpol wrote: »

I believe that it was because it sounded his real first name Charles. I've also heard he wanted an English-sounding name and came across it in the phonephone. As I said above it was his actual legal name after the deed poll change, and not just a pen-name/pseudonym as some suppose.
    His daughter suggests he found it in the phone book, he himself went in to print on more than one occasion to suggest it was because he wanted to claim Colonel Francis Charteris, the founder of The Hellfire Club, as an ancestor. Then again he was known for his flippancy...

He changed it because of his mixed race, he suffered a lot from racism in his youth.