Spectre versus the field: Skyfall

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    PTS: SP

Title track: FYEO

Titles: FYEO @bondjames, it was Binder who demanded Sheena be in it.

Main villain: SP

Main Bond Girl: FYEO

Henchman: SP

Plot: FYEO

Dialogue: FYEO

Score: SP

Settings: FYEO

Action: FYEO

Humour:FYEO

Cinematography: FYEO

Benign Bizarre: SP

Suspense: FYEO

Minor Characters: FYEO

Glamour: FYEO

Bond performance: FYEO

FYEO - 13
    SP - 5

FYEO wins.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    PTS: FYEO

Title Track: FYEO

Titles: FYEO

Main villain: FYEO

Dialogue: SP

Score: FYEO

Settings: FYEO

Humour: FYEO

Cinematography: SP

Benign Bizarre: FYEO

Suspense: SP

FYEO - 14
    SP - 4

FYEO wins.

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Nice to see you pop in, @saunders!
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Nice to be back, thanks @MayDayDiVicenzo
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Titles: FYEO @bondjames, it was Binder who demanded Sheena be in it.
    Thanks @Thunderfinger. He has good taste, even though I found it a bit overwhelming, especially with Sheena's dated 'fe-mullet'.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 1,469
    PTS: SP but a special nod to FYEO for showing Bond remembering Tracy at her grave
    Henchman: TIE: Hinx is awesome, but in FYEO they seem to come at Bond like flies.
    Plot: TIE
    Settings: FYEO: good locales for Bond to ski and do some rock-climbing.
    Cinematography: TIE

FYEO: 12
    SP: 3
    TIE: 3
    bondjames wrote: »
    Majestic. The other is when Bond arrives in Cortina and goes out to his hotel balcony prior to meeting Luigi.
    Agreed...and I find the music really works well there.
    I almost picked the FYEO pts, it s damn good. Blofeld opening his mouth is what gave it to SP:
    Great to have you back, @Birdleson. Never mind the psychos.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    PTS: SP (I do love FYEO from Tracy to the delicatessen, but SP pts is instant classic.
    Title track: FYEO (I am a sucker for the late 70s - early 80s ballads)
    Titles: SP
    Main villain: FYEO
    Dialogue: SP
    Score: FYEO (classic 80s soundtrack. Love conti's work here)
    Settings: SP
    Suspense: FYEO (mountain climbing still is suspenseful for me)
    Glamour: SP

FYEO - 10
    SP - 8

This one actually aligns very well with my rankings. Both are in my 15-20 range.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 45,489
    The mountain climbing scene in FYEO is the most suspenseful scene in all of Bonddom, bar none. Cargo net fight in TLD a close second.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I know that many agree with you, but I've never been able to get with the cargo net fight. It's just kind of there.

It's hard to watch Necros refuse to grab any of the netting as Bond cuts through his laces.
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    PTS: Spectre Outside of the reference to Mrs. Bond, I find the Spectre opening to be more appetizing for the main course.
    Title Track: Spectre I have Writing's on the Wall a few places above For Your Eyes Only in my ranking. They're not too far apart, though.
    Title Credits: Spectre Certainly not the best of each designer, but I think Spectre is a bit more poignant.
    Main Villain: For Your Eyes Only This assessment is entirely contextual. Blofeld is a better villain, but Kristatos maneuvers the entire plot well. Blofeld basically has to rely on past plots to really count for doing anything diabolical.
    Main Bond Girl: For Your Eyes Only Both of the leading ladies are kindred spirits on some level, but Melina is so authentic. She has more reason for her actions and is slightly better developed. This is pretty close, though.
    Henchman: Spectre Bautista wins here, but by a really slim margin because Locque and Claus are formidable. I'll give the nod to one amazing henchman over two good ones.
    Overall Plot: For Your Eyes Only One of the most consistent adventures in the franchise.
    Dialogue: For Your Eyes Only I even like the quirkier parts of the dialogue, which play up to Moore's strength in a good way.
    Score: Spectre This category was difficult to decide, but ultimately I went with Spectre. I like some of the cues and the chorus elements.
    Settings: For Your Eyes Only There is a lot more variety in the way of what we see here. Spectre has nice locations, but they are often filtered or dark.
    Action: For Your Eyes Only John Glen knew how to direct action. For Your Eyes Only is one of the best constructed films in terms of its action chases and shootouts.
    Humor: For Your Eyes Only I'm a big fan of the humor in For Your Eyes Only because it isn't the emphasis, but it's clearly one of the threads.
    Cinematography: Spectre The way Spectre was shot was really well done. It's certainly one of its stronger points.
    Benign Bizarre: For Your Eyes Only You can make a case for either film here, I will go with my favorite of the two. Ice cream!
    Suspense: For Your Eyes Only I love the way the perception of the characters change as the narrative plays out. Truly one of the best.
    Minor Characters: For Your Eyes Only I'm including Columbo here because he isn't factored into another category.
    Glamour: Spectre For Your Eyes Only has glamor, but I prefer the classic references in Spectre.
    BOND PERFORMANCE: For Your Eyes Only Roger Moore is close to his best here (right on par with The Spy Who Loved Me imo).

For Your Eyes Only: 11
    Spectre: 7
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 3,236
    Apparently we've decided to start FYEO without me. In the future, would appreciate it if everyone waits until the previous round has been wrapped up before jumping into a new one.

But for now, we have to the results of SP vs. MR. After one of our more...intense rounds, the final score is 278-206-19 in favor of MR, which also won the total number of games by 15-11-1. I can't say I'm not surprised, but the votes are the votes.

Onto FYEO...

PTS: SP (not even a delicatessen in stainless steel can carry FYEO to victory)
    Titles: FYEO (I am more attracted to Sheena Easton than Daniel Craig; sue me)
    Main villain: FYEO (generic, but no insulting backstory)
    Main Bond Girl: SP (both could have been significantly better, but Seydoux is a much better actress)
    Henchman: SP (ah, Red Grant knockoffs)
    Plot: FYEO (taut Cold War thriller vs. a half-hearted Captain America ripoff)
    Dialogue: FYEO (that's detente, comrade)
    Score: SP (surprisingly enough, what works for Rocky won't work for Bond)
    Action: SP
    Humour: SP
    Minor Characters: FYEO (much as I would like to pick against FYEO to spite Fakefeld and Bibi Dahl, I can't sell out Colombo and Locque like that)

Amazingly enough, SP scrapes a tie despite being six spots lower on my Bond rankings. Part of it is that most of its victories were razor close while FYEO won comfortably.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 1,469
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I know that many agree with you, but I've never been able to get with the cargo net fight. It's just kind of there.
    It's hard to watch Necros refuse to grab any of the netting as Bond cuts through his laces.
    Reminds me of the Moonraker PTS when the Apollo Jet Pilot doesn't seem to fight nearly as hard as Bond to hold onto the parachute. I doubt that would've happened if they filmed that today. But maybe those dark sunglasses he wore made it hard for him to see.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sadly I missed the voting for Moonraker, but Benny will return with his votes for...

FOR YOUR EYES ONLYversusSPECTRE

Henchman: FYEO

FYEO: 13
    SP: 5

• GBFGBF
    Wo is actually supposed to be FYEO henchman. We have so many. And is C supposed to be a henchman in SP?
    You can think of the category as "henchmen" if you prefer. Just pick the best of the lot.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited September 2016 Posts: 7,314
    Perfect timing, just watched FYEO. Of course, I haven't seen SP in almost a year, so going by memory here.

PTS: FYEO (Love the OHMSS connection.)
    Main villain: FYEO (Even Waltz admits that he didn't quite hit the mark.)
    Main Bond Girl: FYEO (Was moved by Bouquet's performance tonight.)
    Dialogue: FYEO (Two graves and such.)
    Settings: FYEO (Although SP wasn't half bad.)
    Action: FYEO (This was close, but I love that ski chase sequence.)
    Humour: FYEO (Buy you an ice cream?)
    Cinematography: FYEO
    Bond performance: FYEO (I don't dislike Dan's performance though.)

FYEO - 15
    SP - 3

Score: SP
    Minor Characters: SP
    Bond performance: TIE

FYEO - 7
    SP - 10
    TIE - 1
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Apparently we've decided to start FYEO without me. In the future, would appreciate it if everyone waits until the previous round has been wrapped up before jumping into a new one.

I thought was a bit odd to start the game without you. Tanaka-san is a little premature methinks.
    I'm actually not sure which Blofeld is worse, the one in FYEO or the one in SP.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Milovy, Fleming knows both Blofelds have rather shoddy luck with helicopters. In the future-with any incarnation of the character-he should keep well out of the air or at least pack a decent parachute.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Milovy wrote: »
    I'm actually not sure which Blofeld is worse, the one in FYEO or the one in SP.

I think Waltz does a good job. It's the backstory that's the problem

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

Title track: SP
    Titles: SP
    Henchman: FYEO
    Suspense: SP
    Minor Characters: SP
    Bond performance: SP

FYEO - 7
    SP - 12
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

PTS: FYEO - Basically the same PTS but the stunts are so much better.

Title track: SP- I find FYEO really tiresome these days. At least the opening strings of WOTW are suitably Bondian.

Titles: SP - We were firmly into Binder's uninspired period by now so I'll take average Kleinman, naked Dan and all.

Main villain: Tie - Kristatos bland but solid. Blofeld poorly written but does enough to scrape a draw.

Main Bond Girl: SP - Very close but Lea seems to be a hit more fun. Melina is always whingeing about her dead parents but Madeline doesn't let it out her off a bit of train based shenanigans.

Henchman: SP - Kriegler is like a Red Grant you bought off Del Boy down the market and the difference in quality between the final fights is embarassing.

Plot: FYEO - Despite us tearing it apart in the 'FYEO doesn't make sense thread' it's still head and shoulders clear.

Dialogue: FYEO - Maibaum not really troubled by P&Ws efforts.

Score: FYEO - Conti at least puts some effort in and knows what the Bond theme is. The closest Tom has come by far but still no I'm afraid.

Settings: SP - Apart from Meteora FYEO's settings come across as a bit bland compared to Rome, the top of of a mountain and the crater.

Action: FYEO - Easy win. Action sequence after action sequence full of proper stunts.

Humour: SP - For a Rog film there's surprisingly no killer one liners and 'DISS' and Thatcher enough to tip the scales in SP's favour.

Cinematography: SP - None of the Glen films are going to come anywhere near in this category.

Benign Bizarre: SP - The SPECTRE meeting room, meteorite, torture whereas FYEO feels very grounded in the dullness of the real world.

Suspense: FYEO - For the climbing sequence alone FYEO takes this.

Minor Characters: FYEO - White and Colombo tough to separate but Lucia is better than Lisl. Locque and Denbeigh about the same, MP and Q do their stuff so it boils down to Bibi v Tanner!! Sorry Rory as irritating as Bibi is at least you are aware of her being on the screen.

Glamour: SP - FYEO seems a bit too stripped back at times, although Rog wearing Bogner during the ski sequences is a touch of class.

Bond performance: SP - Rog doesn't really do anything wrong here but it seems like with the dialling down of the excess after MR they somewhat neutered Rog a bit. If Rog is your leading man then play to his strengths. Dan, in his weakest performance, is still very good.

FYEO 8
    SP 9
    Tie 1

SP squeaks it which is a surprise. I guess SP is less than the sum of its parts.

PTS: FYEO [loved the grave visit and the chopper actionscene which was not done in CGI)
    Title track: FYEO I like them both but Eastons track for now is the more Iconic one, which might change in a few years]
    Titles: FYEO [ am atter of taste]
    Main villain: FYEO [while I like blofeld in SP he got handled wrongly while in FYEO the baddie is different in two halves in the movie which makes for better story telling imho}
    Main Bond Girl: FYEO [Melina was the personification of sexy for me, for years I watched the Channel 5 commercials and any French movie I could watch with her in it, she is on e of the sexier 007 women for me]
    Henchman: TIE [both started of promesing only the Locque died in a better scene]
    Plot: FYEO [made out of two Fleming novels Risico & FYEO and parts of LALD gave it a lot of substance and cohesion]
    Dialogue: FYEO [is a btter written and cohesive script than SP which aims for coolness but then losses itself in pointlesness]
    Score: FYEO [Newmans attempt is one of the worst OST's of thhe franchise imho and it lack an identity which can identify the movie, FYEO is sometimes cheesy but very recoginable 007]
    Settings: FYEO [ both a pretty good but with FYEO you feel they actually do something with the surroundings which makes you feel teh story belongs there]
    Action: FYEO [the actionscenes in FYEO are all real, no cgi, they are better done and filmed, John Glen is a master compared with Mendes in this aspect, the carchase is fun and very well done, the ski chase is actually exciting, the underwater action is exciting, the LALD torture by reef is excellent, the shootout in Albania is good and the climbing scene is very exciting stuff. the SP actionscenes all lack excitement and devoid of humans and humanity]]
    Humour: FYEO [ Moore is always better in humor than anybody else in the franchise and he has some good stuff written for him]
    Cinematography: SP [no contest, but FYEO has some brilliantly shot scenes which have been mentioned before]
    Benign Bizarre: SP [simply because FYEO is a chase for a macguffin while SP wants to wrap up the whole Craig era with some bizarre idea]
    Suspense: FYEO [SP is just a tad boring with no real surprises]
    Minor Characters: FYEO [the Moore era has always had loads of fun and less fun characters and in this movie there is actually a good balance of interesting people, no annoying ones this time, and Topol is brilliant]
    Glamour: FYEO [When it cones to glamour I find Moore the lord and Craig the geezer}
    Bond performance: FYEO [with TSLWM - MR - FYEO - OP, I find Moore at the top of his 007 game, Craigs movies and his performance at moments are inspiring but sometimes looks like he is bored]

FYEO - 15
    SP - 2
    TIE - 1

If only SP had more of the FYEO qualities which both has a better balanced script with a better story and superiour actionscenes. SP pitfall is that the movie never gets as good as the PTS.
    The helicopter stunt in SP wasn t CGI.
    The helicopter stunt in SP wasn t CGI.

Yes it was.

Was it ? i didnt know that ...it got rave reviews...
    Most stunts these days want to be so over the top that they cannot be done unless in CGI, it is nowadays the cheap go to option and in the case of the SP PTS it looked iffy sometimes.
    I wonder if the current EON has the people in house who can actually think up an actionscene that is actually fun and exciting to look at and where the basis is can we do this in realtime.