'They don't 'arf pick 'em '...bad actor choices in 007's world

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    sweeney wrote: »
    Grand L. Bush in LTK : "Get a hold of yourself!" and "No I'm not gonna forget about it!" are delivered with such gusto through teeth that have been cemented together. I hope he kept up the god work.

Oh god. The first one in particular is laughable. The good cop/bad cop interrogation of Sanchez is so cheesy.
    Grand L. Bush was awful in LTK. As I said earlier, the entire US based supporting cast in Florida was cringe worthy, including Priscilla Barnes and that chap who got his heart cut out.

"End up going fishing on my honeymoon"
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I liked her better as Terri Alden.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Pretty much half the cast in LTK is absolutely terrible:

David Hedison - Some of his delivery is like he's got Alzheimers: 'Aaah hand me that picture of Della'.

Priscilla Barnes - So annoying. Are we really suppose to buy that a bloke like Bond (Dalton's Bond at that!) hangs out with these people? Such good mates that she's blissfully unaware that Bond's wife got shot in the face on their wedding day.

Everett McGill - 'All that scumbag money wont do you a bit of good here.' Trying too hard.

Grand L Bush - Already covered above. A far cry from his peak of 'I was in junior high dickhead'.

The police inspector in the hospital - 'Hell they sell more here than in the state of Oregon.'

Talisa Soto - Couldnt deliver a pizza convincingly let alone a line.

And in parts I'd have to include Dalton in this list: 'Dellllllaaaaa'. Oh dear.

However Robert Davi, Anthony Zerbe and Benicio Del Toro (although tragically underused) keep things on an even keel amongst all this ham. I also quite enjoy Anthony Starke, Frank McRae and Wayne Newton's performances. And of course dear old Desmond puts in a good shift.

NicNac wrote: »
    Surprised that some of you are Bond fans at all seeing those vast lists of alleged miscastings.

Do we have a thread to celebrate the unsung actors who have delivered great performances but have been unrecognised?

Didnt there used to be a thread dedicated to the one and only Klaus Hergesheimer and his career in G Section?

Although can one even claim that the Herg is underrated these days given his stock round these parts has risen exponentially year on year to the point where he now occupies bona fide 'legend' status. I'm not due he qualifies as unsung any more.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited September 2016 Posts: 5,998
    I love D'Abo. The perfect complement to Dalton, who, to be honest, does not come across onscreen as the womanizer that the rest of them do...

Tanya Roberts, on the other hand, is the bottom of the barrel. Worse than even Ekland and St. John.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited September 2016 Posts: 14,896
    Okay I'll try a top ten, 'Bad actor choices in the Bond series.'

10 . Joe Flood - Police Captiain in AVTAK. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this one. Obviously there to add some humour to the scene. But then it wasn't funny when I was ten. The grimacing and eye rolling really don't help.

9. Ken Sharrock - Russian jailer in TLD. I enjoy the scene, but it appears that dear old Ken went to the Sean Connery school or keeping your accent, no matter what role you're playing. Even the line delivery isn't that good. "I haven't had a woman prisoner, in a long time."

8. Lynn-Holly Johnson - Bibi Dahl in FYEO. A girl young enough to be Bond's daughter, flirting with him. No! Just...no. Not helped by the, "You put your clothes on. And I'll buy you an ice-cream." When did OO7 start taking ideas from Jimmy Saville.

7. Priscilla Barnes - Della Leiter in LTK. To giggly and ditzy for me. Obviously a close personal friend to Bond, as she's not even aware that he was married once. Even though it was a long time ago. Writers trying too hard to add some continuity, but ultimately failing to give the character any credibility. Not helped that Ms. Barnes is a bad actress.

6. Joe Don Baker - Wade in GE and TND. It's not that Joe Don is a bad actor. He's quite likable. But the character of Wade is cringe worthy. Are we actually supposed to believe that this buffoon works, not only for the security services. But is also high up in it. Sadly, "He didn't even say goodbye."

5. Michael Madsen - Damian Falco in DAD. Another actor that I generally like. However it's like Madsen is here only for the pay cheque, and to add, 'have appeared in a Bond film' to his resume. Lines like "And Bond gotta way real fast." Are why he's my #5 pick.

4. Gloria Hendry - Rosie Carver in LALD I've seen better acting from a block of wood. Or even John Terry, (the actor, not the EPL player. Though some of the EPL players act better than Ms. Henry, but I digress.) Not helped by her inability not too look directly at the camera at times, or the fact that the character is just poorly written.

3. James Villiers - Tanner in FYEO Not sure what Tanner is trying to be in FYEO. A prick is my guess. Certainly not the character I envisage from the novels of Fleming. This guy's got a stick firmly up his backside and seemingly thinks all he has to do is berate Bond on a lousy job.

2. Denise Richards - Christmas Jones in TWINE. Denise Richards is playing a nuclear scientist. I think we'll just leave it there. Nuff said.

1. Rory Kinnear - Bill Tanner in QOS, SF and SP. Poor old Rory really does cop some flack on these boards. The trouble is, its pretty justified. He reminds me of the kid at school that if not included, would either complain to a teacher, or buy his way in because that's all he had to offer.
    Am I supposed to believe that inside the service, that this is Bond's best friend. Maybe at a push the Roger Moore Bond. Maybe. But the Daniel Craig Bond, I'm sorry. I just don't buy it. Rory, you're my #1 wrong actor in a Bond film.
    Benny wrote: »
    1. Rory Kinnear - Bill Tanner in QOS, SF and SP. Poor old Rory really does cop some flack on these boards. The trouble is, its pretty justified. He reminds me of the kid at school that if not included, would either complain to a teacher, or buy his way in because that's all he had to offer.
    Am I supposed to believe that inside the service, that this is Bond's best friend. Maybe at a push the Roger Moore Bond. Maybe. But the Daniel Craig Bond, I'm sorry. I just don't buy it. Rory, you're my #1 wrong actor in a Bond film.

Disappointed with this @Benny old chap. I think Rory puts in a decent shift in every film. Unfairly maligned round these parts if you ask me.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Disappointed with this @Benny old chap. I think Rory puts in a decent shift in every film. Unfairly maligned round these parts if you ask me.

Sorry Wiz ol' boy, I know you're a keen supporter of Rory as chief of staff Bill Tanner.
    But I'm afraid he's about as appealing as a copy of 'Morris Dancer Monthly' given as a present with an annual subscription.

• edited September 2016 Posts: 19,339
    He is as dull as dishwater tbh...Michael Kitchen will always be Tanner to me,until we get a really good one !
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117

Sorry Wiz ol' boy, I know you're a keen supporter of Rory as chief of staff Bill Tanner.
    But I'm afraid he's about as appealing as a copy of 'Morris Dancer Monthly' given as a present with an annual subscription.

The irony there being that Morris dancing is precisely the sort of hobby you can imagine Rory's Tanner doing off screen.

Bond: 'Hello Bill. You know we're like allegedly bezzies I was thinking do you fancy playing golf tomorrow and then going to Blades for some gambling and drinking?'

Rory: 'Sorry James my Morris troupe is appearing at a village fete near Tewksbury. Youre quite welcome to join in? Afterwards we'll be going to a CAMRA pub. Cracking day out.'

Bond: 'I'll probably leave it to be honest mate.'

I'd imagine he'd get on better with Arnold J Rimmer rather than Bond as in addition to being into Morris dancing he's also a fan of Hammond organ music and 20th century telegraph poles which sounds right up Rory's street.
    The danger in having really good actors is that in can show up the weaknesses of Bond himself. Kitchen being a good example.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Another Red Dwarf reference from the Wiz! A humorous post from post Mr Benny also.

Here’s my pick -

Sean Connery

Sexiest man alive? My arse. What an insipid, weak ass portrayal. Fleming should have insisted they pick Noel Coward.

George Lazenby

He’s a male model, don’t you know. Perhaps his acting style came from the same mail order catalogue school? Get back to selling second hand cars, George.

Roger Moore

Get back to modelling your cardigans.

Timothy Dalton

Playing Bond as a moody douchebag is only reinforcing the Welsh stereotype, Timmy.

Pierce Brosnan

He got beaten up by Mrs. Doubtfire. Nuff said.

Daniel Craig

Pout face a-hoy! More suited to the skin-head brigade, than a super smooth spy.

The only person of acting quality is Ms. Berry, who deserves an Oscar for her work on Die Another Day.

Hence forth, the Bond series should be the comedy stylings of Rory Kinnear as Tanner and Clifton James as Sheriff J.W Pepper. Imagine the possibilities!

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I can't stand Samantha Bond as Moneypenny. It was bad enough getting all the "sexist misogynist dinosaur" guff from M, but to have Moneypenny join in with her "Someday, you'll have to make good on your innuendos". Take those lines away, and she was still no better than Pamela Salem. Now that Harris' Moneypenny isn't a field agent, she's doing a much better job as Moneypenny.
    I think we are confusing bad acting with bad dialogue
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Not really, I did say that take the lines away and she's still no better than Pamela Salem (Samantha Bond isn't a good Moneypenny, she's.... annoying).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Bliss is the only Moneypenny that bothers me.
    Bliss wasn't given much to do, but I thought she was ok.
    I dont think we have had a BAD Moneypenny at all...im ok with all of them,but obviously like some more than others.
    There is a thread on here about Moneypenny,but the search engine on here is crap compared to KTBEU....really annoying...
    How did you find them so quickly Major ? ..i was looking for the Bond Villains thread earlier,i had a you tube video to put in there but i couldnt find it,so i looked for the Timothy Dalton Apprec thread as the you tube video was about Benicio Del Torro and couldnt even find that ..am i doing something wrong ?
    Ah ha, a trick. *clears throat* Not really. Google Mi6 Communtity and whatever it is that you are looking for.
    aaaah clever...you always were a smart chap Major,i see nothing has changed in my absence ;)
    You're too kind @barryt007. I would like to claim credit for that, but someone else discovered that method, which I have been using myself ever since.
    Can't stand Caroline Bliss myself. An incredibly wooden 80s cliche. Bond may have had some dodgy lines but she at least had a bit of personality and a naughty glint in her eye.
    A glint in the eye, must've come off the VR goggles from DAD. Oh good, that's a scene I don't want to think about.
    A glint in the eye, must've come off the VR goggles from DAD. Oh good, that's a scene I don't want to think about.

Yes I'll admit it's a dopey scene with a terrible line from Bond but I think I honestly prefer it over Bliss's moments.
    I'll concede that Bliss didn't get to do much, but I think she was passable. Moneypenny is is the only aspect of Bond, that I don't have a clear favourite (I could find something to nitpick about all of them).
    I'll concede that Bliss didn't get to do much, but I think she was passable. Moneypenny is is the only aspect of Bond, that I don't have a clear favourite (I could find something to nitpick about all of them).

Ditto Major,as i posted earlier....spot on.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Bliss was quite enjoyable in TLD and I like her big scene with Dalton a lot!!
    But she wasn't given a real chance, her almost word-less blink of an eye moment in LTK is laughable and not her fault.

As for Samantha Bond, there I will get defensive dear @MajorDSmythe
    She clearly was as good a choice as Judi Dench, Robbie Coltrane or Colin Salmon.

Her very first scene in GoldenEye is amongst the best MP scenes of the series and she was the perfect fit for Brosnan.

If anything her rather silly "end-game" in DAD was a bit of a let-down.

But to be honest, if BB hadn't decided to make a bloody reboot out of CR she could have kept Samantha Bond for the Craig era easily.
  • Why was Caroline Bliss not allowed to continue or did she just leave? Has she ever said anything about it?

Why was Caroline Bliss not allowed to continue or did she just leave? Has she ever said anything about it?
    Dalton left, so she left.