'They don't 'arf pick 'em '...bad actor choices in 007's world

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondjames wrote: »
    Anyone else think Bliss was an ok MP, with the little time she had?
    Not really. I found her to be quite awful in my most recent watch of TLD last week. She's nice to look at, but her line delivery is off imho, and she appears just a tad too smitten with Bond.
    By 1995 the feminists had taken over & the new MP was teasing with threats of sexual harassment claims & being nasty to other women.
    That was my feeling when watching GE for the first time as well. I didn't like the face to face scene between Bond and MP in this film. Brosnan seems extremely uncomfortable and affected (I'm not sure if this and the Q scene were the first ones filmed or not, but he overacts in both scenes). Harris's approach is terse, unexpected and too stand offish, and is compounded by the soon to follow pile on by Dench's M.

Both scenes seem out of place, given that Brosnan's Bond is hardly Connery or Moore's rogue, and GE is a film that follows two tame (from a womanizing perspective) Dalton Bond films.

I much preferred Harris in her unseen intro vmail which Bond picks up in the Aston at Monaco ("onatopp of things") and again on the phone with Bond in TND ("kiss off your lesson"). She's better unseen imho.

'Harris'..? MP in the Brosnan films is played by Samantha Bond
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

By 1995 the feminists had taken over & the new MP was teasing with threats of sexual harassment claims & being nasty to other women.

I thought she was fine in TLD. She didn't get the best dialogue but did ok with what she had.

LTK was hardly kind on any of the actors as it had an abysmal script with dialogue to match. Her screentime in that must have been all of 15 seconds.

Apart from the Barry Manilow stuff she does OK in TLD and in LTK she does what she can with her three lines. I'll give her credit for letting her voice wobble to show concern when she says 'Q branch please'. Not much more she could do with such a thankless script.
  • Anyone else think Bliss was an ok MP, with the little time she had?

I thought she was fine in TLD. She didn't get the best dialogue but did ok with what she had.

LTK was hardly kind on any of the actors as it had an abysmal script with dialogue to match. Her screentime in that must have been all of 15 seconds.

Apart from the Barry Manilow stuff she does OK in TLD and in LTK she does what she can with her three lines. I'll give her credit for letting her voice wobble to show concern when she says 'Q branch please'. Not much more she could do with such a thankless script.

agreed
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 11,189
    "Why James, she's just your type"

"Wrong again Moneypenny, you aaarree"

"I'll file that with the other secret information around here".

Urgh. Bliss is dreadful in that scene and it's possibly Dalton's weakest scene in the film. He can't pull off a line like "Moneypenny be a darling/dear" in the way Roger could. He seemed, like Broz later on, too self-conscious in his MP scene.

As for Brosnan, yes his first Q scene is his weakest. The way he looks at the baguette before Q grabs it off him looks so mannered.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Not really. I found her to be quite awful in my most recent watch of TLD last week. She's nice to look at, but her line delivery is off imho, and she appears just a tad too smitten with Bond.
    That was my feeling when watching GE for the first time as well. I didn't like the face to face scene between Bond and MP in this film. Brosnan seems extremely uncomfortable and affected (I'm not sure if this and the Q scene were the first ones filmed or not, but he overacts in both scenes). Harris's approach is terse, unexpected and too stand offish, and is compounded by the soon to follow pile on by Dench's M.

Both scenes seem out of place, given that Brosnan's Bond is hardly Connery or Moore's rogue, and GE is a film that follows two tame (from a womanizing perspective) Dalton Bond films.

I much preferred Harris in her unseen intro vmail which Bond picks up in the Aston at Monaco ("onatopp of things") and again on the phone with Bond in TND ("kiss off your lesson"). She's better unseen imho.

'Harris'..? MP in the Brosnan films is played by Samantha Bond
    Duh, of course she is. My mistake. Edited and fixed.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2016 Posts: 13,894

I much preferred EDIT: HarrisSamantha Bond in her unseen intro vmail which Bond picks up in the Aston at Monaco ("onatopp of things") and again on the phone with Bond in TND ("kiss off your lesson"). She's better unseen imho.

Surely you mean Samantha Bond? It was bad enough getting all that nonsense from M, nut Moneypenny too. She makes Pamela Salem (who had even less to do than Bliss) look good by comparison.

"Someday you'll have to make good on your innuendos."

giphy.gif

Yay for feminism.
  • Was Pamela Salem meant to be playing MP as foreign? Especially when she asks if he has an assignment it doesn't sound British accent.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Samantha Bond was good I thought as was Judi Dench. They sell the scenes.

Let's face it, both M and MP were right. Fleming and James Bond were old outdated old farts by this point.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 382
    Bond shouldn't move with the times.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    They might have been right, but I wish they hadn't included the lines, or handled them better. Moneypenny is like one of those little ankle biter dogs, snapping at Bond.
    They might have been right, but I wish they hadn't included the lines, or handled them better. Moneypenny is like one of those little ankle biter dogs, snapping at Bond.
    I agree. It's the delivery that's a bit too terse in both instances, although I can accept it from Dench's M given her age and since she's the boss. Coming from MP it just seems a bit too 'fem' for my old fashioned tastes.
  • yeah good analogy. She wasn't helpful in the least to Bond.
    The feminist side of MP is quite in-your-face I agree.

The "you've never had me" line is the polar opposite to Maxwell's "you never do anything WITH me".
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    One of the things I love about the 60s-80s films, was even though Bond changed, the MI6 staff didn't.

Agreed but....
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Aside from Fiennes, I'd be more than alright if the rest of the staff are cleared out.

Agree with this too. None of the cast members are impressive.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'm perfectly fine with the MI6 brigade. Fiennes and Whishaw are fantastic, Harris is a good actress who could use some better dialogue (apart from "They've seen us, reverse!!").
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Halle Berry (DAD) Like her in X-men. But like some other chacters not get any feeling like the movie: cold.
    Rick Yune (DAD) His chacter is not developt enough and because he is unknown actor & other things faild too you don't get any feeling with the chacter.

Adolfo Celi (TB) No get any feeling with the chacter
    Steven Berkoff (Octopussy) The chacter is weak point of the movie.
    Joe Don Baker (TLD) Not hate the actor, it be the chacter he playing.
    Eva Green (CR) No get any feeling with the chacter, don't believe Bond be in love.
    Caterina Murino (CR) I don't mind what happen with the chacter, don't like the inter action with Solange and Bond.
    Luciana Paluzzi (TB) No get any feeling with the chacter with exeption i think TB for a part is to much Dr No FRWL copy.

Ralph Fienes (not hame him, but iam afraid for a to emitional-violence chacter).

How about Robbie Coltrane? Everyone seems to love his Suckoffsky. I thought he was pretty bad.
    He was certainly better in TWINE over GE x he seemed nervous the first time he appeared in the bar scene ...he rushed his ‘WaltherPPK’ line,I felt.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    He was certainly better in TWINE over GE x he seemed nervous the first time he appeared in the bar scene ...he rushed his ‘WaltherPPK’ line,I felt.

Yeah rather overrated in GE I tend to feel. And in TWINE he's a bit of a comedy buffoon. Redeems it with a decent death scene though.

Re the 'Walther PPK' line - how good is his peripheral vision by the way? Or can he actually tell the type of gun merely by the sound of it cocking?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Re the 'Walther PPK' line - how good is his peripheral vision by the way? Or can he actually tell the type of gun merely by the sound of it cocking?

Probably combined with its smell, and the shift in the number of air molecules in its vicinity, due to its weight and shape.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339

Yeah rather overrated in GE I tend to feel. And in TWINE he's a bit of a comedy buffoon. Redeems it with a decent death scene though.

I just go along wz the premise that he knows Bond is there already,hence the henchman sticking a gun against Bond’s head straight away from behind the curtains.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Whereas Bond can't even tell a loaded from an unloaded gun in DAD.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I always felt that he knew what type of gun it was from the sound. I'm not sure if that's really possible, but then again I'm not a gun guy. I suppose it could be, if one is familiar enough with the product.

I preferred him in GE to TWINE personally. He seemed more menacing, whereas I found him a complete clown in the later entry.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    The novelization by Raymond Benson actually puts sense to that.

Frost tampered with the firing pin, leaving the loaded but inoperable handgun the same weight (and maybe even functioning normally short of allowing the firing pin to strike the primer to fire the bullet).

DarthDimi wrote: »

Simply awful moment which shat on the character. Little did I know at the time I first saw it that things were about to get a whole lot worse a few minutes later.

Bond not realising the magazine in his gun was empty was merely him putting on the waterskis. The shark jump was yet to come.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @TheWizardOfIce
    Correct. That was a mere grenade. They went nuclear after that.

@RichardTheBruce
    Benson did well then. Too bad we need to turn to a novelisation to figure it out. ;)
    edited May 2018 Posts: 13,048
    He did on that point, but the film doesn't really need to stop in its tracks to explain minutiae. The gun didn't fire, it was tampered with in a way unnoticeable to an expert like Bond. (I should admit here my first thought was the ammunition had been removed, though.)

In a similar way I don't need to be convinced and explained how the pursuing boat in QOS was suddenly pulled off Bond's craft and launched into the air--I saw it happen on screen. And the film moves on.
    He did on that point, but the film doesn't really need to stop in its tracks to explain minutiae. The gun didn't fire, it was tampered with in a way unnoticeable to an expert like Bond. (I should admit here my first thought was the ammunition had been removed, though.)

In a similar way I don't need to be convinced and explained how the pursuing boat in QOS was suddenly pulled off Bond's craft and launched into the air--I saw it happen on screen. And the film moves on.

I created a whole thread in the ‘flying boat’ in QOS and so far nobody has a concrete theory !!
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    RE: Zukovski: I quite liked him overall, as I did the other regulars from the Brosnan era. They weren't perfect (Wade could have been better) but they were memorable.

I also liked the fact that they didn't focus on backstories for the existing MI6 team, but rather just had them exist, with new relationship dynamics vis a vis Bond (I'm thinking of M & MP in particular but also Robinson).

In that respect, I prefer it to what they've attempted in the Craig era, by shoehorning backstories into existing regulars.
    I created a whole thread in the ‘flying boat’ in QOS and so far nobody has a concrete theory !!
    My novelization for Quantum of Solace would have explained that in short order.

Too bad they don't do those any more, @barryt007.