'They don't 'arf pick 'em '...bad actor choices in 007's world

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Lynn Holly Johnson, Denise Richards, Teri Hatcher, John Terry (Felix in TLD), Robert Carlyle (awful), John Seru, Goldie, Lawrence Makoare, Michael Madsen, Caroline Bliss, Gloria Hendry, Rick Yune, Maryam D'abo, Lana Wood (was she dubbed?) & Carey Lowell. Yuck to all of them.

Most of the supporting cast in Florida in LTK as well. Just awful.

I've felt somewhat mixed on D'abo too lately. I know that she's a fan favourite but her performance does seem a tad overdone at times to me.

She's still a much more convincing Bond girl than her immediate predecessor though.
    I forgot about Roberts. She should be here too, I agree. I found her agreeable on other levels and this has resulted in some bias, evidently.
    I submit this very strange portrayal of James Bond for your viewing displeasure:

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    This is going to end badly for Brosnan fans...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2016 Posts: 13,894
    It never ocured to me until I watched Calvin Dyson's latest video (the Everything Or Nothing game playthrough), that EON was the first time that Brosnan was able to deliver the "Bond, James Bond" line without saying "Barnd, James Barnd." It only took him four films and a game to get it right.
    He says "Bond" in DAD too.
    Milovy wrote: »
    I submit this very strange portrayal of James Bond for your viewing displeasure:

I admit that this painful scene, in addition to a few more from this film, probably belong here. Rather than belabour the point, out of respect for his fans, I'll just say that I agree with your sentiments. 'Strange portrayal' is perhaps a euphemism in this case.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Brosnan does kind of look like he's trying a bit too hard here.
    The infamous "huh?!" moment. One can almost see the comic vector/cloud on the side of the screen. A bit too American as well

1396255-Clipart-Of-A-Retro-Black-And-White-Pop-Art-Comic-Styled-Huh-Speech-Balloon-Royalty-Free-Vector-Illustration.jpg
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Of course such a choice is subjective. One man's Hamlet is another man's ham.

This is a top 10 of bad casting decisions in the Bond series, and is merely my choice after very little thinking time.

Number 10
    GOLDIE in The World Is Not Enough
    Just too gimmicky casting the (please insert exactly what Goldie is or was here) golden toothed one as a barely threatening villain who double crosses his boss and meets his maker in one of the few moments in the film where I managed to punch the air and shout 'YES'. Not the greatest actor, fair to say?

Number 9
    TOBY STEPHENS in Die Another Day
    I know Madonna is in this film, but not enough to cause any serious issues. But Mr Stephens gurns and smirks and postures and snivels his way through the longest Rik Mayall impression I have ever seen.

Number 8
    KATRINA WAYBORN in Octopussy
    I think she has a vague notion what she should be doing, it just doesn't register in any of her expressions. Blankety Blank, Blankety Blank.

Number 7
    DENISE RICHARDS in The World Is Not Enough
    Nothing against Denise or the idea of a beautiful woman being a nuclear scientist, but I do admit that when she isn't speaking her lines I love watching her face as she is clearly counting the seconds to her next line, as opposed to reacting to what is going on.
    I do like her though if only for that reason.

Number 6
    TANYA MALLET in Goldfinger
    Not sure if she was dubbed by Nikki Thingy Der Whatsit or not, but if she wasn't she should've been.
    Cast for her prettiness and for no other reason whatsoever.

My undisputed top 5

Number 5
    JOHN TERRY in The Living Daylights
    Everyone has said it before, nothing to add. Lifeless performance by an actor who clearly doesn't want to be there.

Number 4
    TALISA SOTO in Licence To Kill
    Apparently Talisa wanted to create a bit of a side story which suggests that her character was planning on taking over Franz's empire. She was trying to suggest that Lupe was a strong, intelligent and independent woman slowly but surely manipulating everyone and everything to her advantage. Yes, really. Not one second of that idea came across on screen. Just an empty headed bimbo, poorly performed.

Number 3
    CAROLINE BLISS in The Living Daylights
    The worst ever Moneypenny, wearing glasses to try and make her look more intelligent, sparring with Bond (much to Dalton's embarrassment I'd say), totally sucking any atmosphere from the scenes she is in. She was even worse in Licence to Kill and she only had a minute on screen.

Number 2
    VIJAY AMRITRAJ in Octopussy
    Aww bless.
    Tennis pro Vijay looked totally bemused by everything going on around him. You can tell he is thinking 'I'M IN A JAMES BOND FILM! I'M IN A JAMES BOND FILM' the whole way through, because he can barely suppress a slightly vacant bemused smile from playing across his face. I half expect him to wave at the camera and mouth 'Hello Mum'. In fact that wouldn't have been out of place in OP.

NUMBER 1BARBARA BACH in The Spy Who Loved Me
    Russia's best agent eh? She reminds me of Lady Penelope, (except the latter is less wooden) with her big eyes and bobbly head.
    When she bumps in to Bond and spins round effecting a karate chop pose I still piss my pants laughing to this day.
    Caroline Bliss as Moneypenny ALWAYS makes me cringe.
    @NicNac, I crack up at that karate chop by Bach/Anya every time as well.

I remember asking my father as a kid how she was planning to be effective against Bond in that confrontation, given he had a gun and she had the 'pose'.

I recall him saying that he wouldn't have shot her even though he had the gun, or something along those lines.

Over the years, I've come to forgive her for this miscalculation, since she looks so damn fetching in that dress. Hamlisch saves it with his cue also.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    NicNac wrote: »
    Of course such a choice is subjective. One man's Hamlet is another man's ham.

This is a top 10 of bad casting decisions in the Bond series, and is merely my choice after very little thinking time.

Number 10
    GOLDIE in The World Is Not Enough
    Just too gimmicky casting the (please insert exactly what Goldie is or was here) golden toothed one as a barely threatening villain who double crosses his boss and meets his maker in one of the few moments in the film where I managed to punch the air and shout 'YES'. Not the greatest actor, fair to say?

Number 9
    TOBY STEPHENS in Die Another Day
    I know Madonna is in this film, but not enough to cause any serious issues. But Mr Stephens gurns and smirks and postures and snivels his way through the longest Rik Mayall impression I have ever seen.

Number 8
    KATRINA WAYBORN in Octopussy
    I think she has a vague notion what she should be doing, it just doesn't register in any of her expressions. Blankety Blank, Blankety Blank.

Number 7
    DENISE RICHARDS in The World Is Not Enough
    Nothing against Denise or the idea of a beautiful woman being a nuclear scientist, but I do admit that when she isn't speaking her lines I love watching her face as she is clearly counting the seconds to her next line, as opposed to reacting to what is going on.
    I do like her though if only for that reason.

Number 6
    TANYA MALLET in Goldfinger
    Not sure if she was dubbed by Nikki Thingy Der Whatsit or not, but if she wasn't she should've been.
    Cast for her prettiness and for no other reason whatsoever.

My undisputed top 5

Number 5
    JOHN TERRY in The Living Daylights
    Everyone has said it before, nothing to add. Lifeless performance by an actor who clearly doesn't want to be there.

Number 4
    TALISA SOTO in Licence To Kill
    Apparently Talisa wanted to create a bit of a side story which suggests that her character was planning on taking over Franz's empire. She was trying to suggest that Lupe was a strong, intelligent and independent woman slowly but surely manipulating everyone and everything to her advantage. Yes, really. Not one second of that idea came across on screen. Just an empty headed bimbo, poorly performed.

Number 3
    CAROLINE BLISS in The Living Daylights
    The worst ever Moneypenny, wearing glasses to try and make her look more intelligent, sparring with Bond (much to Dalton's embarrassment I'd say), totally sucking any atmosphere from the scenes she is in. She was even worse in Licence to Kill and she only had a minute on screen.

Number 2
    VIJAY AMRITRAJ in Octopussy
    Aww bless.
    Tennis pro Vijay looked totally bemused by everything going on around him. You can tell he is thinking 'I'M IN A JAMES BOND FILM! I'M IN A JAMES BOND FILM' the whole way through, because he can barely suppress a slightly vacant bemused smile from playing across his face. I half expect him to wave at the camera and mouth 'Hello Mum'. In fact that wouldn't have been out of place in OP.

NUMBER 1BARBARA BACH in The Spy Who Loved Me
    Russia's best agent eh? She reminds me of Lady Penelope, (except the latter is less wooden) with her big eyes and bobbly head.
    When she bumps in to Bond and spins round effecting a karate chop pose I still piss my pants laughing to this day.

Pretty sound list to be fair but can't have you slating The Vster!

Vijay is never not entertaining and for a bloke who wasn't an actor I find him far more engaging than bland nonentities such as Hip, Ferrara, Chuck Lee and most of the Leiters.

'Have you learnt anything?'
    'Well my backhand's improved'

Lovely stuff.
    Chuck Lee? Oh, right. He has to be one of the most nondescript individuals in the franchise. Up there with jokers like Davidof & Gabor.
    I forgot Chuck Lee.!
    Toby Stephens is hilarious. Another one who is never not entertaining.

"my my, you do get around"
    "Japan is a bug waiting to be squashed"
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    He says "Bond" in DAD too.

Did he? I couldn't sworn he still said "Barnd, James Barnd." Come to think of it, I think he says "Bond" in TND too. He definitely says "Barnd" in TWINE. Consistency was hardly the backbone of the Brosnan era, but why the sudden change?

Sounds like "Bond" to me.
    Hhmm... so he did. That makes the same line in TWINE even odder.
    The pouting & gesticulations in this legendary scene crack me up every time.
  • GBFGBF
    I forgot Chuck Lee.!

I agree with @TheWizardOfIce that Vijay is actually a pretty good and memorable ally. I think he is very well cast and you don't feel the lack of acting experience. I would also not be too harsh with minor characters such as Chuck lee. The acting is pretty solid. He is only there to give Bond some information and to be killed shortly after. He is not supposed to be very memorable or charismatic.
    I personally find Ursula Andress to be a poor completely overrated actress. I know that she is iconic as hell and very good looking. But I personally find that she does not do anyhing with the role. She appears to be very bland and the character herself is also totally uninteresting. She is probably the Bond girl least essential to any Bond plot. This is not entirely Andress fault but she also does not manage to prevent it.
    GBF wrote: »
    I forgot Chuck Lee.!

I agree with @TheWizardOfIce that Vijay is actually a pretty good and memorable ally. I think he is very well cast and you don't feel the lack of acting experience. I would also not be too harsh with minor characters such as Chuck lee. The acting is pretty solid. He is only there to give Bond some information and to be killed shortly after. He is not supposed to be very memorable or charismatic.
    I personally find Ursula Andress to be a poor completely overrated actress. I know that she is iconic as hell and very good looking. But I personally find that she does not do anyhing with the role. She appears to be very bland and the character herself is also totally uninteresting. She is probably the Bond girl least essential to any Bond plot. This is not entirely Andress fault but she also does not manage to prevent it.

That's how I feel about her...totally underwhelming compared to Quarrel...bland is the word for me.
    She was obviously there for reasons other than her acting, and on that front (literally) she succeeded in creating an iconic and legendary image.

Bland is not a word I would associate with Honey, but I must admit that Andress's acting has always been secondary for me, like Bach, Munro, Soto etc. etc.

She wasn't annoying (like Holly-Johnson, Hendry, Richards etc.) in my view, and so I can give her a pass, but I get your point.
    Honey's melodramatic reaction when Bond kills the thug in the swamp makes me cringe a bit.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Toby Stephens is hilarious. Another one who is never not entertaining.

"my my, you do get around"
    "Japan is a bug waiting to be squashed"
    I actually buy Stephens as the cocky, overconfident, entrepreneurial douchebag up until he turns toward General Moon in that ridiculous vomit inducing bionic suit. Graves is an interesting villain in the sense that he is Britain's national sweetheart, emerging from no where and suddenly having power and authority based on a fabricated backstory. All within the course of 14 months. But Stephens is far from miscast, IMO. He's perfect for the role.
  • Grand L. Bush in LTK : "Get a hold of yourself!" and "No I'm not gonna forget about it!" are delivered with such gusto through teeth that have been cemented together. I hope he kept up the god work.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Surprised that some of you are Bond fans at all seeing those vast lists of alleged miscastings. ;)
    Surprised that some of you are Bond fans at all seeing those vast lists of alleged miscastings.

Do we have a thread to celebrate the unsung actors who have delivered great performances but have been unrecognised? I'm with you here Jason (and guilty for my list above), as Bond fans we should take more of the positives from this great series.

However, even great series will get it wrong over a 24 film spread, so this thread gives us a chance to be a little bit tongue in cheek about it all.

sweeney wrote: »
    Grand L. Bush in LTK : "Get a hold of yourself!" and "No I'm not gonna forget about it!" are delivered with such gusto through teeth that have been cemented together. I hope he kept up the god work.

Oh god. The first one in particular is laughable. The good cop/bad cop interrogation of Sanchez is so cheesy.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Surprised that some of you are Bond fans at all seeing those vast lists of alleged miscastings. ;)

Me too. The only bad casting choices for me were Halle Berry (as she tried to take over and enjoy top billing with Bond), Denise Richards (because she can't act) Rory Kinnear (because he's bland) and the constant re-casting of Felix Leiter. Apart from that I haven't got any issues with the casting. Even actors like Adolfo Celi (one of the best Bond villains ever) are getting slated on this forum! WTF.
    sweeney wrote: »
    Grand L. Bush in LTK : "Get a hold of yourself!" and "No I'm not gonna forget about it!" are delivered with such gusto through teeth that have been cemented together. I hope he kept up the god work.

Oh god. The first one in particular is laughable. The good cop/bad cop interrogation of Sanchez is so cheesy.
    Grand L. Bush was awful in LTK. As I said earlier, the entire US based supporting cast in Florida was cringe worthy, including Priscilla Barnes and that chap who got his heart cut out.