The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• DarthDimi wrote: »
    @4EverBonded, those hate groups seem to be mostly situated in the Bible Belt, correct?

They look to be pretty much all over the place so far as I can tell...but I suppose there's a greater concentration in the south and east. Of course, mid-western states like Colorado and Kansas aren't very densely populated so they're not going to show as many groupings as can be found in the east. The Pacific northwest is a surprising hotbed for for right-wing extremism.

• No, this could prove a beneficial moment for Trump.

Never underestimate The Donald's ability to stick his foot in his own mouth if there are enough cameras on him. He's an entertainer!
    When you get right down to it, Trump doesn't want to be POTUS, he never did. He just thought he'd run and see what happened. He never expected to get this far.
    When you think about it being President is not that good of a job to have in government. Trump would have been happier being a cabinet member or a US Senator. But President? No way.
    Now he realizes he has bitten off more than he can chew.
    But his ego will not allow him to just drop out. He has to see it to the bitter end. I daresay that the comments he makes is an attempt to get people not to vote for him.

The danger lies in the fact that Clinton supporters are not that fanatical about her. Now Sanders had some fanatical supporters ...ie I mean people who will walk 5 miles in the snow to cast a vote; people who will drive 3 hours to the nursing home and take their grandmother to the polls. Trump supporters are exactly like this.

With the traditional low voter turnout in America and the apathy and coupled with the negative press about Clinton's email and Foundation...this country is on the edge of an abyss. Question is "are we going to step away or jump into it?"
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think Trump never did honestly want to be president, but he is good and stuck now.

I don't think this trip will give him much help. His favorable numbers will go up and down, much the same I think. Clinton just needs to not have any major slip up. We shall see.

Trump staying safe on this trip is a concern; that is something in the back of my mind.
    Oh here is this clip: :)

mentioned here:

and actual video clip:
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't want to live in this world anymore.
    We're all waiting for that comet to come and put us all out of our misery...

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    We're all waiting for that comet to come and put us all out of our misery...

Ughhh... I don't think I can wait that long. :(
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Maybe that will cancel SNL for good. It hasn't been good for years.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 12,459
    No kidding, just a field day of hard line statements.

Like any of this would be so easy (or feasible) to do ... let alone ethics behind many of his statements, outlining details of his plan to deal with immigration.

I suppose some of you can watch this live on TV; I don't know. If not, plenty of news clips and probably the whole speech on youtube soon.

Trump is obviously backtracking on softening (there is none) as he now considers that a mistake. So it is full bore hard line ahead. He can say whatever he wants (as we have noticed), and I believe is just catering and playing into his core of supporters who really believe these ideas are a good thing. Ann Coulter is beside herself with joy right now.

I honestly think the only thing she believes in is her own publicity (oh wait, that reminds me of a certain presidential candidate) ~

So is Farage and all of the American extreme racist groups. Granted, enacting any of this into law is another thing. BUT I would never want to even give him a chance at this. None. This goes back to the worst witch hunts and prosecutions that our country has done in the past.

But it sure gives him back mega publicity and howls of delight from that core group. He has nothing to lose at this point - perhaps that is his thinking. May as well flame out with the biggest burst of racism, unrealistic, and truly unAmerican ideas that he can spew.
  • I think we just witnessed an early 'October Surprise', and we have to thank Mexican president Peña Nieto for it. This will be entirely helpful for Trump's campaign, sadly :-(. It made Trump look presidential, capable of leading the world stage, and it made his anti-Mexican insults look forgivable.

Combined with some very surprisingly good state polls for Trump in blue collar states Wisconsin, North-Carolina and Ohio, Clinton has every reason to worry. My fears seem to become reality: A demagogue who plays the media so well can be forgiven for his flaws if he does something unexpectedly positive that is usually perceived a 'normal' for an establishment candidate :-(.

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-mexico-trip-benefits-2016-8?r=US&IR=T&IR=T
    Trump never really changed his stance. Just good to see him back to usual, not trying to hide it.

I am not fearful. And I do not think that the American people will buy this - not the majority. But yes, we cannot take anything for granted and everybody needs to vote.

I don't think he has not done anything unexpectedly positive; I don't get that. Maybe others consider this so wonderful that he is acting normal? I guess you meant that. But I don't get it and I don't think - other than people who already support him - it will be viewed as a wonderful positive thing. Not when his words are so vile.

Also, I just glanced at your link. No, I definitely disagree and I don't think he got those two things out this at all. Some more votes from people who love these ideas, but also some more supporters lost by those who have finally become sickened hearing these actual words from a presidential candidate.
  • It's all about perception @4EverBonded. In with that Trump made some very beneficial inroads today and yesterday :-(.
    I do not believe so. Certainly not with the majority of Americans, no.
    Like I mentioned, those who already supported him are jubilant, but I do not believe he swayed many new supporters, no. And he must have lost some, because it is an extreme stance.

Well, at least this comment by a reader on NY Times made me smile.

I already felt in this election cycle like I was wandering through something akin to the hall of mirrors scene in Orsen Welles' classic film, The Lady from Shanghai. I already knew that two wrongs don't make a right. To extend the math analogy this is like... absurdity squared. We have gone from Trump calling upon the former Russian KGB officer (Vladimir Putin) to provide further hacked political info to his campaign to the President of Mexico having a chat with the man who referred to undocumented Mexicans as rapists? What's next? This is a complete vindication of Oscar Wilde's dictum that life imitates art. Only in this case we are talking about American politics now operating at the level of a very low quality reality TV show. What can possibly be next? How about a WWF Clinton/Trump match in place of a debate? She's probably a bit lighter on her feet but I am sure we can count on Mr. Trump for some truly entertaining and vicious low blows to boost the Nielsen ratings. Really?

• @4EverBonded

I think we need to be realistic as well. Yes, Trump is behind in the polls. But even for me, who is aggressively anti-populist, the current polling results are worrisome. I think we really should brace ourselves.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well, at least when Trump gets voted in, the next war will be another Mexican - American one. And then a Chinese- American one, and then....
    Well, Americans LOVE their wars. Always did, and still some people see it as "police for the rights of the world" Never noticing, HOW they BRING war into areas, where they need it to destabilize it and overtake it for oil and whatnot. Right now, they do their utmost to inflict it on us, telling the world, Russia NEEDS, absolutely NEEDS to be fought. What a joke. Your government, Sir, for a very long time now, is a deadly joke.
    And the more truth comes out, the less will they be able to operate as they wish. Right now, we are awaiting a flase flag attack by the US. Maybe Merkel is a bit slow these days for their liking. So - lets raise a little hell...yada yada...
  • Germanlady wrote: »
    Well, Americans LOVE their wars. Always did, and still some people see it as "police for the rights of the world" Never noticing, HOW they BRING war into areas, where they need it to destabilize it and overtake it for oil and whatnot. Right now, they do their utmost to inflict it on us, telling the world, Russia NEEDS, absolutely NEEDS to be fought. What a joke. Your government, Sir, for a very long time now, is a deadly joke.
    And the more truth comes out, the less will they be able to operate as they wish. Right now, we are awaiting a flase flag attack by the US. Maybe Merkel is a bit slow these days for their liking. So - lets raise a little hell...yada yada...

You use a lot of capitals.

I feel like Geoffrey Wright's Felix Leiter discussing world history with Craig's Bond in QoS. "Always" is a long time, @Germanlady. It goes back more than 100 years. Please re-examine the history of the 20th Century and then say that again. "I take that as a compliment, coming from a ..." Kraut? Or is that a slur? Well, if Trump can slur Mexicans and blacks and Muslims, what the hell. Let's all jump in & pile on. Oh never mind, I don't really mean it. I'm just overstating for effect, surely that's permissible around here. If Ann Coulter can do it then surely I can too...
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 6,601
    I am fine with "Kraut" OK, I take back always and change it to modern history time.

BTW - doesn't mean, German politics are any more ethical, just that America used to be the most powerful country in the world and is now fighting with all they have remained, to save a bit of that power.
  • Well, at least when Trump gets voted in, the next war will be another Mexican - American one. And then a Chinese- American one, and then....

You're forgetting a nice little Cuban-American war. I'm always up for a reference to Elliot Carver, referring to Randolph Hearst. "You provide the pictures...and I'll provide the war." Of course, that nasty President Obama is all for normalizing relations with Cuba -- I see commercial air-flights between Cuba and the US have just resumed today, and as we all know, a Hillary presidency will just be a continuation of that terrible, terrible Obama presidency -- so maybe our armchair punditry is just so much pointless hot air? Or maybe Hillary isn't quite the warmonger some would claim her to be.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 3,564
    Germanlady wrote: »

Berlin, London, Washington....oh, not THOSE kind of capitals. Nevermind...

(And italics. Let's not forget the italics. Rome...)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ah, that's where I went wrong! it's 'When in Rome, do as the Italics do. Explains a lot. Always thought Italians a bit shifty.

Well, Obama is a Cuban communist capitalist ISIS supporter, he's just finally showing his colours.

Trump will keep those Cuban pigs at bay!
    I think we just witnessed an early 'October Surprise', and we have to thank Mexican president Peña Nieto for it. This will be entirely helpful for Trump's campaign, sadly :-(. It made Trump look presidential, capable of leading the world stage, and it made his anti-Mexican insults look forgivable.

Combined with some very surprisingly good state polls for Trump in blue collar states Wisconsin, North-Carolina and Ohio, Clinton has every reason to worry. My fears seem to become reality: A demagogue who plays the media so well can be forgiven for his flaws if he does something unexpectedly positive that is usually perceived a 'normal' for an establishment candidate :-(.

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-mexico-trip-benefits-2016-8?r=US&IR=T&IR=T

Gert...Gert....Gert. I know you like to bang the drum for your 'October surprise' fantasy scenario, but you need to stop. You can make up your opinion, but you can not make up your own facts. Trump's Mexico trip and rally in Arizona was a disaster. The Mexican President has a favorability rating of 23% and meets with an American Presidential candidate with a 3% favorability rating. And Trump doesn't bring up paying for the wall?
    Both men looked bad.

And to your "surprisingly good state polls in Wisconsin, North Carolina and Ohio" Hillary leads in all major polling in those states. How is this good news to Trump if he's losing such a backward state like North Carolina.
    For october surprises, one goes to Russia:

FLeiter wrote: »
    I think we just witnessed an early 'October Surprise', and we have to thank Mexican president Peña Nieto for it. This will be entirely helpful for Trump's campaign, sadly :-(. It made Trump look presidential, capable of leading the world stage, and it made his anti-Mexican insults look forgivable.

Gert...Gert....Gert. I know you like to bang the drum for your 'October surprise' fantasy scenario, but you need to stop. You can make up your opinion, but you can not make up your own facts. Trump's Mexico trip and rally in Arizona was a disaster. The Mexican President has a favorability rating of 23% and meets with an American Presidential candidate with a 3% favorability rating. And Trump doesn't bring up paying for the wall?
    Both men looked bad.

And to your "surprisingly good state polls in Wisconsin, North Carolina and Ohio" Hillary leads in all major polling in those states. How is this good news to Trump if he's losing such a backward state like North Carolina.

:-&
    Brief summary:

and upcoming interview with Trump and black pastor, is totally scripted:
This discussion has been closed.