"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And antidepressants.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Yes I remember that moment from the DVD commentary though to be honest I don't mind that line too much. The series has had worse.
    But that is one of my absolute favourite lines from a Bond film. Ever. I disagree. I don't see the self-cannibalism.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    I agree it's a great line.

Alright, that's fine, I agree it's not the worst line ever. I was actually trying to make a broader point about appealing to the lowest common denominator, and how that attitude slowly creeped into Brosnan's films to the point where it was the entire focus. You know, Die Another Day. Regarding self-cannibalism... Again, I was referring to Die Another Day.
    Milovy wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Yes I remember that moment from the DVD commentary though to be honest I don't mind that line too much. The series has had worse.
    But that is one of my absolute favourite lines from a Bond film. Ever. I disagree. I don't see the self-cannibalism.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    I agree it's a great line.

Alright, that's fine, I agree it's not the worst line ever. I was actually trying to make a broader point about appealing to the lowest common denominator, and how that attitude slowly creeped into Brosnan's films to the point where it was the entire focus. You know, Die Another Day. Regarding self-cannibalism... Again, I was referring to Die Another Day.

I get your point. Sacrificing actual wit for cheese for the sake of cheese.
    Yes! I mean, if the filmmakers think a line is a "groaner," maybe don't keep it in the film. I don't go to Bond films to groan. ;) And DAD's script is chock full of groaners.
  • RC7RC7
    Lighten up you miserable sods. It's like being trapped on a train with Jeremy Corbyn.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Lighten up you miserable sods. It's like being trapped on a train with Jeremy Corbyn.

*sniggers*, a first-class comment.

Milovy wrote: »
    Yes! I mean, if the filmmakers think a line is a "groaner," maybe don't keep it in the film. I don't go to Bond films to groan. ;) And DAD's script is chock full of groaners.

I just don't like that they were actually aiming for groaners. Try to make people laugh not wince.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Getafix wrote: »
    I'm about to embark on a Brosnan reappraisal course. I watch GE every now and then but the other three - especially DAD - I hardly ever watch. So I'm going to watch TWINE and DAD back to back and really see what I think about them after so many years. I haven't seen either of them since 2012 I think (when I bought the 50th anniversary blu ray set I watched all existing 22 films in sequence) So I think a genuine, sincere critical watch will be order. Looking forward to it.

Good luck - make sure you've got your pain killers handy you'll need them!

tumblr_l4vei71kxX1qcqncdo1_500.gif
  • @Milovy
    I must agree there, DAD's script is so awful, it really did sort of eat itself. And we were creeping that way with TWINE: "I came prepared for a cold reception." Indeed. I think that line was given a cold reception by most of the audience.
    DAD is a groaner from start to finish.

Still it's marginally less tedious than TWINE which I think possibly ranks as the most boring Bond movie of all time.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    DAD is a groaner from start to finish.

Still it's marginally less tedious than TWINE which I think possibly ranks as the most boring Bond movie of all time.

Sums up my feeling. TWINE is too much of a soap opera at times for me.

It seems..........."Die Another Day" isn't aging very well :|

Which is understandable if you look at this ugly "Ice Age" spin-off poster. And also, the villains on the poster look like Log-Cabin gay Republicans:
    283f984e6227e1e83783b0230c42f8a7.jpg

You can tell from the poster its gonna be s**t
  • I rather like TWINE but there are elements of missed opportunity and bad lines there. It is far better than DAD.
    That is the worst Bond film poster by far....just totally fake looking,just like the film....(apart from the Cuba scenes)...
    I rather like TWINE but there are elements of missed opportunity and bad lines there. It is far better than DAD.

Agree 100% !

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Some of the worst (or weakest) Bond films tend to have elements that are rather good.

Moonraker isn't held in high esteem yet the film has some of the tensest sequences including some where Bond actually does some proper spying (Corrine and the dogs, Bond breaking in to Drax's safe, Bond in the lab and the scientists' death, the centrifuge scene, Bond's first meeting with Drax).
    Likewise DAD has moments where it rises to respectability, but suffers from the last 40 minutes being the worst of the series and feeling like an hour and 40 minutes.
    I rather like TWINE but there are elements of missed opportunity and bad lines there. It is far better than DAD.

What I love about TWINE is this: It's easily Brosnan's most complex, nuanced, and emotionally rich portrayal of Ian Fleming's James Bond. Perhaps a prelude to Daniel Craig's more radical departure of the formularic pastiche of the James Bond character. Therefore, TWINE and Brosnan give us easily the best performance of James Bond 007.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

What I love about TWINE is this: It's easily Brosnan's most complex, nuanced, and emotionally rich portrayal of Ian Fleming's James Bond. Perhaps a prelude to Daniel Craig's more radical departure of the formularic pastiche of the James Bond character. Therefore, TWINE and Brosnan give us easily the best performance of James Bond 007.

Best overall of any actor or best by PB?
    NicNac wrote: »

Best overall of any actor or best by PB?

Brosnan's best. Like I said :-). Nah, when we bring the other actors into the comparison, things change :-).

The teaser poster with the Beretta in ice though was awesome - I could tell from the trailers that it was going to be bad.

I assume that you are taking the proverbial
    The Brosnan posters looked like video game covers. The Craig posters look like fashion catalogues. I haven't loved one since The Living Daylights.
    I was really disappointed with LTK posters after the excellent TLD one. Terrible! Apart from the one with Dalton in white shirt with tie open!
    Putting a gun to my head, i would have to say TWINE is the only barely passable of Brossas films. But only because of Sophie Marceau, and Kleinmans titles are terrific! Brosnan though is awful! I cringe at that scene where he confronts Elektra after Renard reveals the "no point in living.." line and about his shoulder injury!
    Nearly as bad as his "and i'm going arrrfter him" line in DAD....bloody shocking...
    The Brosnan posters looked like video game covers. The Craig posters look like fashion catalogues. I haven't loved one since The Living Daylights.

For me the GE and TWINE ones are Brozza's best. The GoldenEye one is nostalgic for me as I remember that poster being everywhere in 1995.

I'm not too fond about the TND ones to be honest. Brosnan doesn't quite look right. In TWINE he looks better.

I assume that you are taking the proverbial

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean :-P.
    What I hate about that DAD poster is that it makes out this is a Bond AND Jinx movie!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    What I hate about that DAD poster is that it makes out this is a Bond AND Jinx movie!

You're right and That's where they were heading I guess - with the jinx spin off...thank heaven for small mercies that didn't happen. Wai Lin would have even been better to spin off! And berry being oscar winning actress at the height of her 'powers' (well at least visibility and cred) in 01/02? Means she'd get a big chunk of the publicity.

It's kind of funny that Ms. Berry is now doing a film with Danny Boy :))